1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
  2. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

Discussion in '2017-2018 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Mar 18, 2017.

1. biochemgirl22

biochemgirl22

Jun 4, 2016
    Thanks for posting! Congratulations! [emoji324]

younghopeful likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Why worry about Step scores? Step is 99.9999% about you as a student and .0001% about the school. Almost everywhere in Texas has a 99% pass rate which means they adequately prepare students for it, so if you're really worried about Step then just make sure you study for Step a lot!

4. BlackOrthoSurg

BlackOrthoSurg

May 24, 2017
    Lol. Tbh. I currently have them ranked as number 1 but I'm yet to see UTSW so it's hard to know if my opinions may change

5. Fair enough homie. You'll do great wherever you are.

6. fouracle

fouracle

Jul 6, 2017
    I don't necessarily think that's true. Why is Baylor step average so much higher than everyone else's, including many prestigious OOS schools? Is it really that the students are smarter?

7. Eh, they aren't tremendously higher IMHO. Would love to see a Confidence Interval for it. Besides, it would be a stretch to say that any school's Step scores are causally related to their curriculum. Far more likely it has to do with the type of students they recruit.

8. eljefemdfuturo

eljefemdfuturo

Jun 9, 2017
    Maybe not causally, but research is showing that earlier clinical experience-->higher step scores. Baylors scores are probably higher than most because of a combination of the factors mentioned, but I do believe that the curriculum will have an impact on step scores.

fouracle likes this.
  9. Fair enough!

10. BlackOrthoSurg

BlackOrthoSurg

May 24, 2017
    And the Baylor thing is actually interesting. They've been doing the 18 month curriculum for like 20yrs and they've had so much success with it that lots of schools just started doing it. They consistently score top 3 Nationwide which cannot be attributable to only the students they admit. Another interesting case is UTMB that have raised their step by switching from professors setting their individual exams to shelf NBME exams thoroughout preclinicals. So many ways to go about doing it

11. BlackOrthoSurg

BlackOrthoSurg

May 24, 2017
    Since this is Dell's thread, I would mention that under the radar, there is a **** ton of interest about Dell's 1 year pre-clinicals; like does it even make sense, how can it be done effectively, can it be scaled to larger classes and what kind of step scores will it produce. So lots of med school deans are going to be looking out this year and next as the Dell kids begin to take their step to see how they do. Because it's been shown that regardless of how great your admit class is, the quality of teaching/curriculum will show in the step scores. Now it is possible that Dell's first step scores will be an outlier but no one can know till a few years at least. For now it will either justify them or raise a lot of questions about their approach.

DrDezDez, bluuberries and JPmoleymole like this.
  12. Yeah I'm pretty curious, as well. Duke has been doing it for years now, though. They aren't exactly pioneering the program.

13. BlackOrthoSurg

BlackOrthoSurg

May 24, 2017
    But that's n=1, which doesn't really convince anyone. It's like how you have schools like Baylor that has been doing the 18 month thing for two decades but it has taken so long for so many programs to slowly begin to switch.

14. Yup! I agree. I might be biased too because I don't care about Step scores (going for primary care)

15. natre_

natre_

Apr 26, 2017
    Has anyone here still not receive a secondary? :(

16. biochemgirl22

biochemgirl22

Jun 4, 2016
    Me. [emoji137]
    Trying to keep hope but idk.

17. Asaeed90cc

Asaeed90cc 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2014
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. biochemgirl22

biochemgirl22

Jun 4, 2016
    Apparently they hand out secondaries even as late as October and November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustAddWatah likes this.
  19. Carmiche

Carmiche 2+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Is there a recommended amount of time in which I'm supposed to complete the secondary? Didn't see anything specified, but I may have glossed over it.

20. fouracle

fouracle

Jul 6, 2017
    I don't remember there being one. I waited quite a while.

21. pinkydodo123

pinkydodo123

Jun 12, 2016
    I received a video application... has anyone else gotten it

22. biochemgirl22

biochemgirl22

Jun 4, 2016
    Did you just get the invitation to complete it today? Congrats![emoji324]

23. pinkydodo123

pinkydodo123

Jun 12, 2016
    I got it yesterday... but it sounds like a secondary except it's an online interview? I haven't seen anyone else talking about it so I'm a bit lost lol...I'll probably do it tomorrow

biochemgirl22 likes this.
  24. biochemgirl22

biochemgirl22

Jun 4, 2016
    Yup! That's the secondary [emoji322][emoji846][emoji4]! When did your file transmit?

25. scroll up on this thread to see what others have said, and look on Dell's instruction page too. You need a laptop or computer with webcam to do this. Dress nice and sit in front of a non distracting background. You will be given a question and will have a short time period to record your video response, then and there. Good luck!

26. pinkydodo123

pinkydodo123

Jun 12, 2016
    OHHH. So it's still only just the Secondary..I think it was back in the beginning of June.

biochemgirl22 likes this.
  27. BlackOrthoSurg

BlackOrthoSurg

May 24, 2017
    Note that you can also use your phone if you want to relax that way..makes it like a FaceTime

28. Samavs41

Samavs41

Jul 11, 2017
    Too risky. High chances that I use "lowkey" or finish an answer with "You feel me, fam?"

29. BlackOrthoSurg

BlackOrthoSurg

May 24, 2017
    Lol..low-key is my weakness. Don't know how to stop inserting it in conversation

30. ModelMedMan

ModelMedMan

Aug 1, 2017
    secondary invite on 9/14, TMDSAS transmitted on 8/3. IS, 518, 3.98
    If anyone is still interested bout that stuff

BlackOrthoSurg and biochemgirl22 like this.
  31. biochemgirl22

biochemgirl22

Jun 4, 2016
    Thank you for posting! I had started to lose hope about getting a secondary at Dell. I transmitted a little after you so maybe I have a chance of hearing back for a secondary still. Congratulations on your success :)

32. FutureMD2107

FutureMD2107

Jul 11, 2017
    This may have Ben answered already but can't remember after reading so many posts. Is there a social or any other events the night before the interview?

33. almostMD2015

almostMD2015

Sep 8, 2016
    Yeah there's a student-run social at a nearby bar the night before from 6:30-8:30ish. You should get an email about it close to the date of your interview. Usually within a week or so before it.