2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since this is Dell's thread, I would mention that under the radar, there is a **** ton of interest about Dell's 1 year pre-clinicals; like does it even make sense, how can it be done effectively, can it be scaled to larger classes and what kind of step scores will it produce. So lots of med school deans are going to be looking out this year and next as the Dell kids begin to take their step to see how they do. Because it's been shown that regardless of how great your admit class is, the quality of teaching/curriculum will show in the step scores. Now it is possible that Dell's first step scores will be an outlier but no one can know till a few years at least. For now it will either justify them or raise a lot of questions about their approach.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Since this is Dell's thread, I would mention that under the radar, there is a **** ton of interest about Dell's 1 year pre-clinicals; like does it even make sense, how can it be done effectively, can it be scaled to larger classes and what kind of step scores will it produce. So lots of med school deans are going to be looking out this year and next as the Dell kids begin to take their step to see how they do. Because it's been shown that regardless of how great your admit class is, the quality of teaching/curriculum will show in the step scores. Now it is possible that Dell's first step scores will be an outlier but no one can know till a few years at least. For now it will either justify them or raise a lot of questions about their approach.
Yeah I'm pretty curious, as well. Duke has been doing it for years now, though. They aren't exactly pioneering the program.

Yeah I'm pretty curious, as well. Duke has been doing it for years now, though. They aren't exactly pioneering the program.

But that's n=1, which doesn't really convince anyone. It's like how you have schools like Baylor that has been doing the 18 month thing for two decades but it has taken so long for so many programs to slowly begin to switch.

Members don't see this ad :)
But that's n=1, which doesn't really convince anyone. It's like how you have schools like Baylor that has been doing the 18 month thing for two decades but it has taken so long for so many programs to slowly begin to switch.
Yup! I agree. I might be biased too because I don't care about Step scores (going for primary care)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone here still not receive a secondary? :(

Reactions: 3 users
Apparently they hand out secondaries even as late as October and November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a recommended amount of time in which I'm supposed to complete the secondary? Didn't see anything specified, but I may have glossed over it.

Is there a recommended amount of time in which I'm supposed to complete the secondary? Didn't see anything specified, but I may have glossed over it.

I don't remember there being one. I waited quite a while.

Did you just get the invitation to complete it today? Congrats!
I got it yesterday... but it sounds like a secondary except it's an online interview? I haven't seen anyone else talking about it so I'm a bit lost lol...I'll probably do it tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
I got it yesterday... but it sounds like a secondary except it's an online interview? I haven't seen anyone else talking about it so I'm a bit lost lol...I'll probably do it tomorrow

Yup! That's the secondary ! When did your file transmit?

scroll up on this thread to see what others have said, and look on Dell's instruction page too. You need a laptop or computer with webcam to do this. Dress nice and sit in front of a non distracting background. You will be given a question and will have a short time period to record your video response, then and there. Good luck!

scroll up on this thread to see what others have said, and look on Dell's instruction page too. You need a laptop or computer with webcam to do this. Dress nice and sit in front of a non distracting background. You will be given a question and will have a short time period to record your video response, then and there. Good luck!

Note that you can also use your phone if you want to relax that way..makes it like a FaceTime

Note that you can also use your phone if you want to relax that way..makes it like a FaceTime

Too risky. High chances that I use "lowkey" or finish an answer with "You feel me, fam?"

Reactions: 4 users
Too risky. High chances that I use "lowkey" or finish an answer with "You feel me, fam?"

Lol..low-key is my weakness. Don't know how to stop inserting it in conversation

Reactions: 2 users
secondary invite on 9/14, TMDSAS transmitted on 8/3. IS, 518, 3.98
If anyone is still interested bout that stuff

secondary invite on 9/14, TMDSAS transmitted on 8/3. IS, 518, 3.98
If anyone is still interested bout that stuff

Thank you for posting! I had started to lose hope about getting a secondary at Dell. I transmitted a little after you so maybe I have a chance of hearing back for a secondary still. Congratulations on your success :)

This may have Ben answered already but can't remember after reading so many posts. Is there a social or any other events the night before the interview?

This may have Ben answered already but can't remember after reading so many posts. Is there a social or any other events the night before the interview?
Yeah there's a student-run social at a nearby bar the night before from 6:30-8:30ish. You should get an email about it close to the date of your interview. Usually within a week or so before it.

Yeah there's a student-run social at a nearby bar the night before from 6:30-8:30ish. You should get an email about it close to the date of your interview. Usually within a week or so before it.
Thanks for the info!!

This school is great man, really sold me after interview day

To do it on your phone do you just click the email link on your phone? Does it show your face recording when you do it on both the computer and the phone? Last question: does it show how much time you have left on the 2 minutes?

Thanks lol

To do it on your phone do you just click the email link on your phone? Does it show your face recording when you do it on both the computer and the phone? Last question: does it show how much time you have left on the 2 minutes?

Thanks lol

Click the email link on your phone or computer. Doesn't matter. There will be instructions before you continue that will tell you about using your phone. (It's a process that involves downloading some app) but it's quick. After that, it's pretty smooth and you see the timer

dude_getting_dell_doh.9kn1ay4897wo0swos4owc4w40.6fglr3z5nhs8ogo0cs4kkwss0.th.jpeg

It's hard to provide a response to this that isn't incredibly vague since nobody knows the MMI questions besides the admissions staff and there are a bunch of them. Your best bet is google some sample MMI questions to get an idea of what they may look like, as well as some strategies as to how best answer them. Last year none of mine were crazy off the cuff scenarios. They were similar to examples you can find online

...What is the timeframe for the MMI questions? 2 minute to read the question and 6 minutes to answer? Are the interviewees in charge of keeping time, or is there a clock on the wall where people can pace themselves?

Does anyone who's interviewed here have any insight?

...What is the timeframe for the MMI questions? 2 minute to read the question and 6 minutes to answer? Are the interviewees in charge of keeping time, or is there a clock on the wall where people can pace themselves?

Yeah, that's the timeframe. Your 2 minutes is kept track of by the student guide that leads your group. Once you're in the room, you'll realize your 6 minutes is up when you hear a knock on the door. No clock or anything to pace yourself. They'll usually have follow-up questions if you finish early.

Yeah, that's the timeframe. Your 2 minutes is kept track of by the student guide that leads your group. Once you're in the room, you'll realize your 6 minutes is up when you hear a knock on the door. No clock or anything to pace yourself. They'll usually have follow-up questions if you finish early.

You're spot on. You will not have a clock available while reading, but I assure you, the prompts only require like 20 seconds to read, and you'll have way more time than you need to read.

Many of the MMIs are completed in our standardized clinical patient evaluation rooms which should have a clock in them. Other times they're completed in the offices of various faculty members, and may or may not (probably won't) have a clock. Regardless, you shouldn't be hyper focused on the time. 6 minutes is more than enough time to come up with a satisfactory response, and silence at the end if you've run out of things you want to say is totally normal, and is not counted against you. Once you hear the knock, finish your sentence, thank your interviewer, and step out.

Kinda neat to know people are watching to see how my class does on STEP next year =). How did you get this information, if you don't mind me asking?

From a discussion with an administrator during an interview at Baylor. We were discussing Baylor's refinement of their curriculum and the new curriculum at Dell

Any recent secondary invitations from Dell? Still complete silence from them. Just wondering if they are still handing them out.

Any recent secondary invitations from Dell? Still complete silence from them. Just wondering if they are still handing them out.

I got a secondary 9/21. My application was transmitted 9/6.

Has anyone done "in the area" letters for Dell? How has that gone?

I got a secondary 9/21. My application was transmitted 9/6.

Has anyone done "in the area" letters for Dell? How has that gone?

Did you complete? If so what are the questions?

I'm pretty sure that we're not supposed to share the secondary prompts. The whole point of the format - i.e. not giving the questions out in advance - is to gather a more authentic and unscripted response.

Reactions: 3 users

Yes I got mine a week ago

The questions are designed in a way that you don't need any prior knowledge or preparation. You just need to expand on your qualities as an applicant and your past experiences in order to answer the questions.

So, I've been enjoying the peace and quiet, but I'm starting to get a little paranoid. I got my receipt from Dell saying that they received my application on 7/7, but I have yet to receive a secondary. I have a high MCAT and very high GPA. Should I be worried? Should I keep playing the waiting game and hope for the best or should I contact them and express my interest in their program?

Last edited:
So, I've been enjoying the peace and quiet, but I'm starting to get a little paranoid. I got my receipt from Dell saying that they received my application on 7/7, but I have yet to receive a secondary. I have a high MCAT and very high GPA. Should I be worried? Should I keep playing the waiting game and hope for the best or should I contact them and express my interest in their program?

Keep in mind that high GPA and high MCAT aren’t perfect indicators for you getting a secondary invite from anywhere. I would wait until they ask for one.

I have a high mcat and have not heard anything. I don't think that's exactly what they are looking for, although it does help. I messaged an admissions person and they said dell hands out secondaries even until novemeber.

Word on the street is that Dell has about 6 more interview dates that it will conduct with guesstimates of 25-30 interviewees per session. Take it FWIW.

During my interview they indicated that they will continue to review applications and that it will still be about a month before they even receive all applications. With that in mind they have not yet sent invites for all the secondaries yet nor the interviews.

Interesting. I know there were 40 interviewees on my date. What have others seen?
About 40 as well. 360 total interviews roughly. 4 dates have gone. That leaves at least 5 dates left based on those numbers. I think they mentioned there would be 4 interview dates left after prematch opens including one in January

About 40 as well. 360 total interviews roughly. 4 dates have gone. That leaves at least 5 dates left based on those numbers. I think they mentioned there would be 4 interview dates left after prematch opens including one in January

There were 35 on my date. Also thought the number was 350 over 10 interviewv dates lol.

They seem to have increased it to 40 tho. But they like having groups of five