2019-2020 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Admitted via phone call!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Also admitted via phone call!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These four SDN members are the only ones who announced they were applying ED to UTRGV and were all accepted! Way to go!

As I understand it, this is a binding process and they are now going to be UTRGV students.

For anyone else who may have applied ED but did not get an admission, as SOON as UTRGV releases you, shoot that application off to the other TMDSAS schools right away!

Hi guys do ya'll remember when Ms. Monfort said we would receive our official paperwork?

So how many spots will be open for regular decision? Kinda hoping I didn’t waste $60 submitting the secondary if there’s only 15-20 spots left

So how many spots will be open for regular decision? Kinda hoping I didn’t waste $60 submitting the secondary if there’s only 15-20 spots left

It’d be zero spots if you didn’t submit your secondary ... if you really are interested in going here, it shouldn’t matter how many are left! Just hope to get to interview for one! It’s not a waste.

Reactions: 1 users
Only 6 people applied ED and we only know of 4 that were admitted. Relax, there's still 45+ seats at the very least

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here last cycle, and I am applying again. FYI, they are really bad at getting back to people and communicating.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a II, regular applicant.

Reactions: 4 users
II! complete 7/9

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Submitted my app today! Hope its not late lol
Wishing everyone the best of luck

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Mind sharing your stats?
Hi, sorry for the late response. Without getting into details; SGPA: 3.7. MCAT above 70th percentile. Submitted application 5/1
Secondary: 6/20.
Interviewed: 7/23.
Accepted: 7/25.

I submitted my secondary 7/2 and still no II. Wonder whats going on. Anyone else in the same boat?

I don't think my video secondary on youtube has been viewed yet. I submitted in the second half of june

Has anyone gotten an II without their video being viewed?

Hi, sorry for the late response. Without getting into details; SGPA: 3.7. MCAT above 70th percentile. Submitted application 5/1
Secondary: 6/20.
Interviewed: 7/23.
Accepted: 7/25.
are you ED?
Congrats!

OOS, secondary received, app transmitted last week.

just got a II, and was complete on 7/20. LM 71

II here.
Secondary submitted 7/29. I am shocked the turnaround was quick. My stats are also slightly below their average but I think my ECs align with their goal/mission

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody know what the post ii acceptance rate here is? They interview around 340 and have a class size of 49

Anybody know what the post ii acceptance rate here is? They interview around 340 and have a class size of 49
I would imagine they accept atleast x2 the total size of incoming class. So if the incoming class is 50, it may be 100 acceptaces sent out. I also do know they are planning to expand the class. I dont know which year theyll begin to expand but I saw it in one of their videos that their plan in few years was to expand the class

I would imagine they accept atleast x2 the total size of incoming class. So if the incoming class is 50, it may be 100 acceptaces sent out. I also do know they are planning to expand the class. I dont know which year theyll begin to expand but I saw it in one of their videos that their plan in few years was to expand the class
I am pretty sure they won’t / can’t expand the class size until they earn advancement to full accreditation.

Class will remain at around 55 according to Ms. Monfort on interview day.

I am pretty sure they won’t / can’t expand the class size until they earn advancement to full accreditation.
ohh i didnt know this piece.
This can only occur if the first class graduates, correct?

ohh i didnt know this piece.
This can only occur if the first class graduates, correct?
It can only happen when the LCME committee does its site visits and determines that a new school has met expectations.
The next site visit for UTRGV is in fall 2020.
There are 3 levels of accreditation: Preliminary, Provisional, and Full.
UTRGV started its first class in 2016. It is still at the Preliminary level at this point - the site visit committee in 2018 felt they had not quite addressed all the points needed to advance to provisional status.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It can only happen when the LCGME committee does its site visits and determines that a new school has met expectations.
The next site visit for UTRGV is in fall 2020.
There are 3 levels of accreditation: Preliminary, Provisional, and Full.
UTRGV started its first class in 2016. It is still at the Preliminary level at this point - the site visit committee in 2018 felt they had not quite addressed all the points needed to advance to provisional status.
oooo this is interesting. I will research more about accreditation!
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
II for OOS! Does anyone know if there are any interview days in August?

I got a call that they rescheduled my interview to the 21st from the 14th.
Did anyone else get rescheduled?

Congratulations!!

wow, I'm getting antsy. I submitted 7/12 but LOR was submitted 7/28 and similar scores. IDK what I did wrong. I'm also a reapplicant.

Congratulations!!

wow, I'm getting antsy. I submitted 7/12 but LOR was submitted 7/28 and similar scores. IDK what I did wrong. I'm also a reapplicant.
you did nothing wrong, @Vahiyat. Interview invitations have barely started and will continue for the next 4-5 months. Don't make yourself crazy, it's a long, long process.

Reactions: 6 users