2017-2018 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you already apply? Median GPA here is 3.8 and MCAT 510, and an OOS applicant should generally be at or above those numbers. Application deadline was September 29.
I'm an instate applicant that was complete mid June :(
Currently pursuing an instate SMP

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an instate applicant that was complete mid June :(
Currently pursuing an instate SMP
Ok, so you are in the same spot as everyone else this cycle because it is the waiting game right now. I hope you are having success in your SMP to show your academic capability in case you end up as a reapplicant. Curious why you did not wait until completing the SMP to make your applications to med schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi y'all. I have a 64 Lizzy M and was wondering if I had a chance here (from a top 25 university if that even matters). Would appreciate some feedback!
I wouldn't count yourself out of the game until interviews are done in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does TAMU have a night before social?
My interview in Temple did... but they didn't say anything about it until three days before my interview! It's super casual

My interview in Temple did... but they didn't say anything about it until three days before my interview! It's super casual
Mine is on Thursday and haven’t heard anything about it! Thanks for the input.

Mine is on Thursday and haven’t heard anything about it! Thanks for the input.
You're welcome! Yeah I was like "...I guess they're not having one then." But they emailed after 9pm on the Monday before my Thursday interview

Ok, so you are in the same spot as everyone else this cycle because it is the waiting game right now. I hope you are having success in your SMP to show your academic capability in case you end up as a reapplicant. Curious why you did not wait until completing the SMP to make your applications to med schools?
Currently maintaining a 4.0 in the program and updating my TMDSAS along the way.
I just thought I would have a chance after a strong upward trend (3.4 final GPA), but my MCAT isn't too great (508)

Does anyone know if this school is still inviting for interviews? Hoping to hear from this school

Last year they kept on sending interview invitations up to the second week of November

is this time frame typical of when most texas schools stop sending interviews? Disappointed that there's little time left to receive a II

is this time frame typical of when most texas schools stop sending interviews? Disappointed that there's little time left to receive a II
No, there are later ones. And really I only go by what people post on SDN so when people don't share we don't get the whole story :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my II last year mid-december! hang in there!

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for instilling hope in us. I am still holding out. Did you interview for a waitlist position or directly get accepted. And when were you complete?

Can any current student, @Nysor_bttw or anyone else, talk about the experience starting at BCS and then moving to a different location? From the start do students tend to make friends and hang out with others who they know are going to the same location? How is the transition? How big of a negative impact is there in terms of continuity of research or extracurricular activities?

Reactions: 3 users

Was that a II from Texas A&M mid December? Thanks for the reply

No, there are later ones. And really I only go by what people post on SDN so when people don't share we don't get the whole story :oops:

Oh, I see. Do you know if Texas schools tend to send out a round of interviews all at once and then none until the next round or if they send them out many different times for each round? Thanks again for your insight!

Oh, I see. Do you know if Texas schools tend to send out a round of interviews all at once and then none until the next round or if they send them out many different times for each round? Thanks again for your insight!

All the Texas schools seem to send them in batches

Can any current student, @Nysor_bttw or anyone else, talk about the experience starting at BCS and then moving to a different location? From the start do students tend to make friends and hang out with others who they know are going to the same location? How is the transition? How big of a negative impact is there in terms of continuity of research or extracurricular activities?

It had its ups and downs. For one, it was a great experience to be able to start school with your entire class and have that support system, but having to go separate ways after a year isn't much fun. That's not to say that you don't stay in touch: being in Temple, I will often see folks from Round Rock on a regular basis, as it's only an hour away. I almost never see anyone from Houston, College Station, or Dallas, but I also don't have friends that went to those campuses; it would probably be different otherwise. I don't think many people solely made friends specific to their eventual campus, it mostly happened naturally. Transition is not all that difficult, but you do have to be prepared to move quickly, as you're only given a couple of weeks to get settled in your life before classes start again. As for research and extracurriculars, if your research is dependent on a lab or researcher in College Station, it likely won't continue. If it's clinical and self led, you have opportunities and labs at each campus. Extracurriculars really depends on what you're into: Volunteering is everywhere, and there are good free clinics in both Temple and College Station.

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning at the Temple campus! Date offered was 11/16.

Reactions: 7 users
All these people getting accepted and I just barely got invited to interview today. Hope to join those acceptances soon!

All these people getting accepted and I just barely got invited to interview today. Hope to join those acceptances soon!
Congratulations! Don’t be discouraged. People that have been accepted here are out of state. In state still won’t know. Some may know prematch, but most wont know till match day in February. Good luck on your interview!

I'm not sure if you saw my post from earlier in this thread, but one of my friends didn't hear back from A&M until december and interviewed on their last interview day. Ended up matching there. Congrats on the interview, you definitely have a chance to match there. Best of luck!!

Any current students that can comment about how the Houston track is? What is it like staying an extra semester in Bryan when most of your classmates have left? What opportunities are available in Houston? Do you get to interact with other med students in the Houston Med Center?

anyone know if this is a prematch heavy school?
During the interview last week, they announced that they would offer as many pre-match acceptances as they have seats in the class. I believe this school has roughly 150 seats available so 150 pre-matches will go out tomorrow.

I believe they have 20-30 early acceptance seats as well?
If by early acceptance you mean pre-match, then they said they're sending out 150. If you're referring to something else, I'm not sure how that will factor in to pre-matches tomorrow.

I interviewed here the middle of October and the school still hasn't shown up on my TMDSAS school rankings. I'm worried that this is because they already rejected me. Has anyone else had this issue before?

I interviewed here the middle of October and the school still hasn't shown up on my TMDSAS school rankings. I'm worried that this is because they already rejected me. Has anyone else had this issue before?
Some schools take a while. Don’t worry. If you are, try emailing them

First acceptance! Unreal!!!!!

Accepted via email!!

First Acceptance!!!! OMG I had lost hope after none at midnight and they just spammed a ton of additional emails as well lol I’m so happy!!!

Reactions: 5 users
First Acceptance!!!! OMG I had lost hope after none at midnight and they just spammed a ton of additional emails as well lol I’m so happy!!!
Same here! i woke up very disappointed and now I’m just so relieved

Prematch!!! Their 4 additional emails almost make up for all the other prematches I didn't get

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED! First one at 7:57!! There were tears. Lol

Same, but they just showed up this morning so they're just slow