2017-2018 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 character maximum).
2. The honor code for the Texas A&M College of Medicine is: "A Texas A&M medical student is a professional who exhibits leadership, honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and self-discipline." Please briefly discuss what activities or personal attributes demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of our honor code (3500 character maximum).
3. Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage. (Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate. The character limit on this essay is 3500).
4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.

Good luck to everyone applying (and @kalbi for the prompts)!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Information from previous 2 years:

Current M3 here to provide some of the important information from previous year’s threads and what a lot of applicants were curious about when applying. I will update this post as new information is released.

Note: Do NOT make the mistake of waiting for a Texas A&M secondary application invitation. Secondary applications are not by invitation only, they are available to everyone applying. Submit it ASAP, CHECK WITH THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE AFTER A FEW WEEKS (AT ALL SCHOOLS) TO ENSURE THEY HAVE YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION (some schools have glitches/never received it and applicants never knew until months after and have to re-submit late).

Secondary link: How Do I Apply?
Previous year's Secondary app deadline: September 29, 2017 (absolutely double check this for each application cycle)

Pictures of TAMHSC campuses/facilities, and student life:
Texas A&M University College of Medicine
Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine’s albums | Flickr

Avg MCAT: 31 / 510
Avg GPA: 3.7
First Interview Invites: begin ~June 20-July 1
2015 Interviews: 848
2015 Acceptances: 387
2015 Matriculated: 200
Tuition+Fees: $17,592 - most (all?) accepted out of state students will pay this in-state tuition – cheapest medical school in the nation ;)

Prerequisite Courses:
How Do I Apply?
TMDSAS Medical: Education Requirements

Grading/Curriculum/Schedule:

Grading: H/P/F
- Honors: top 15% in each course receive honors
- Pass: 70-100
- Fail: 69 and below

Curriculum:

- 1.5 years pre-clinical/2.5 years clinical curriculum
- All M1’s begin in College Station for 1 year (1.5 years for Houston track) before dispersing to other rotation cities or remaining in B/CS, where they will then finish the last half year of pre-clinical curriculum on their designated campus before beginning rotations.

Schedule:

Labs, clinical correlation lectures, as well as weekly "Intro to Clinical Skills and HEAL" (all of these total ~10 hours/week) are the only classes with mandatory attendance. Usually 2-3 half days per week w/ afternoons off for self-study time (more half days after 1st semester when you finish the main labs). The non-mandatory attendance classes (which constitutes most classes) are all video/audio recorded.

Year 1 Sample Schedule:

1621602_orig.jpg

Year II (Pre-Clinical) Sample Schedule:

5888181_orig.jpg

Rotation Cities/Hospital Affiliations:
Campuses

You will submit your campus preferences shortly after Texas match day in February (you rank them 1-5 and justify why you want your preference). Here are some of the hospital affiliates:

~35 students to Houston: #1 hospital in Texas – Methodist Hospital

~40 students to Dallas: #2 hospital in Texas - Baylor University Medical Center & Cook Children’s

~50 students to Round Rock/Austin: two tied at #31 hospitals in Texas - St. David's Medical Center in Austin & St. David's Round Rock Medical Center

~50 students to Temple: #10 hospital in Texas/top 15 teaching hospital in the U.S. (Baylor S&W)

~25 students to B/CS: AIM rotation program - St. Joseph Hospital, College Station Medical Center

(Most get their 1st-3rd choice. If you are unhappily assigned your 2nd/3rd choice, you can request a change at two different points during M1 year - several have switched already - however you are still able to spend a large portion of clinical years in other cities besides your main 'assigned' city if you choose.)

M.D. Plus Program:
Programs of Study

Texas A&M offers the following dual degree programs: M.D., M.D./PhD, M.D./MBA, M.D./MPH, and M.D./MS in various fields.

If interested, (excluding M.D./PhD) you will apply to the dual degree programs once accepted to Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine. If accepted to a dual degree program, you will defer your M1 year, complete the master’s program, and then begin M1 year (5 years total for M.D. + Masters). You may also apply later on if you become interested during medical school. Many (all?) who choose to participate may receive a scholarship that covers the cost of the M.S. and MPH degrees completely, and most of the MBA program.

Pre-Matriculation MedCamp Program

For those interested, TAMHSC offers a free, 1 month long pre-matriculation MedCamp program that allows you to get accustomed to medical school prior to officially starting. Your housing and food are also paid for by TAMHSC completely during the program. This experience will allow participants a head-start to medical school by putting you in medical school classes, exposing you to medically relevant experiences, and pairing you with mentors that include faculty and current 2nd year medical students. This is a great program for those who have been out of school for a few years and want to get back in the swing of things before starting, or anyone else who wants to see what medical school is all about before actually starting!

MedCamp Video:

Step 1/Match Lists:

-A&M provides free Kaplan USMLE Prep Courses and question banks for both USMLE Step 1 and Step 2. We are given up to 12 weeks of time off for USMLE Step 1 studying.

2014 USMLE Step 1 average: 228/99% 1st time pass rate

You will get a detailed match list, including hospital name, on interview day.

2016 Match Results:
Text: 2015-2016 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread
Download: 2015-2016 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

Texas A&M University undergraduate affiliation:

As a Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine student, you also have access to Texas A&M University’s undergraduate campus – including rec center, sporting events, intramural sports, libraries, facilities, etc.

For matriculating students, we used “Texas A&M University” federal school code for FAFSA: 003632 (double check each application cycle)

Class Environment/Global Health & Clinical Volunteer Opportunities:

I think most TX schools seem pretty supportive, and this definitely holds true for A&M as well. For example, it's just May and the our new entering class has had more class hangouts than I can count already, and set up a shared google drive well before M1 orientation/class even started haha. M1-M4’s have helped us immensely before we even started with housing, class notes, free textbooks, advice, etc. They're awesome.

Students are able to volunteer at the nonprofit, free “Health For All” Clinic in B/CS where you can take patient vitals, history, physical, present to physician, write SOAP notes, etc. Also annual international mission trips (during christmas break, spring break, summer, and a few throughout school) available through Global Health Outreach and Christian Medical Association (2015-2016 trips to Dominican Republic, Peru, Panama, Nicaragua, Houston, and McAllen), community health hullabaloo, health circus, and others. I will update with more opportunities as I learn about them!

Work/life balance? With 3+ half days every week, these videos from the class of 2014, 2016, and 2020 answer that:

Interview Process:

For MD applicants: Two 30 minute 1-on-1 interviews. May be interviewed by MD’s, PhD’s, or current upper level students I believe. (open file – they have access to your MCAT, GPA, & app)

The questions from this page and other TX school pages prepared me perfectly for interviews:
Texas A & M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine Interview Feedback
(click "questions" and then "show more responses")

A&M offers student hosts for those interviewing and need a place to stay.

Application Tips:

In addition to applying early, which is the biggest piece of advice you should follow, set yourself apart from others outside of academics/research. There are thousands of applicants who excelled academically, so what makes you different? Talk about and show HOW you are compassionate, HOW & WHY you want to help people. Outside of academics, schools want to see what makes you the caring and selfless physician your app says you will be. Continuous volunteering, shadowing, healthcare experience, involvement with EC’s, etc. can help you answer some of these qualities.

Why Texas A&M?

Additionally, feel free to ask here or PM me or other students why we chose A&M over other schools, or if you need help comparing them like I did last year (I would love to help and answer any questions)! I could write forever on why I chose A&M, I couldn’t be happier that I decided to come here and wouldn’t change my decision at all. A&M is growing rapidly and immensely, and I am excited to be apart of it. Here are a few of the many examples: within the last few years, they gained the top 2 hospitals in Texas as main rotation hospitals, and now the majority of our class will train in 3 of the top 10 hospitals in Texas. In 2015, they just built a brand new gross anatomy, teaching, and research building with offices, teaching labs, specimen rooms, prep areas, tank wash rooms, chemical and specimen storage rooms, locker rooms, etc. This building was designed so that it can be further expanded in the future.

I encourage you to ask students at any school you interview at why they chose that school, if they’re happy with their decision, and what they do outside of school – I found that most students at all the TX schools seemed pretty honest and extremely helpful. Since most TX schools are pretty similar educationally, find what else is important to you (location, opportunities outside of school, support, etc) and compare them. Finally, any other questions, feel free to ask me, other current students, or A&M admissions - they are extremely welcoming and WANT to help you (they’ll even meet with you individually should you not get accepted to help you improve for the next application cycle). Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
TMDSAS transmitted mid-May, and the secondary completed & paid for few days thereafter. My secondary page still shows everything as blank (Primary, Secondary fee, MCAT scores), other than secondary application which says "true."

Anyone else seeing anything different?

Members don't see this ad :)
TMDSAS transmitted mid-May, and the secondary completed & paid for few days thereafter. My secondary page still shows everything as blank (Primary, Secondary fee, MCAT scores), other than secondary application which says "true."

Anyone else seeing anything different?

Same. It says it may take them some time to process your secondary fee. And they are also still processing primaries.

I know I've posted this elsewhere but I have not received an authoritative answer. Forgive me if you've seen me ask this already:

If your only significant hardship was the subject of the TMDSAS optional essay, how would you handle the A&M hardship essay? I see four options:

1. Leave it blank.
2. Write a sentence or two explaining that you already discussed your only significant hardship on the TMDSAS app so you don't want to repeat yourself here.
3. Discuss the hardship anyway, hopefully from a somewhat different angle.
4. Come up with some lesser hardship even if it seems trivial compared to the one discussed on the TMDSAS app.

Thoughts?

I know I've posted this elsewhere but I have not received an authoritative answer. Forgive me if you've seen me ask this already:

If your only significant hardship was the subject of the TMDSAS optional essay, how would you handle the A&M hardship essay? I see four options:

1. Leave it blank.
2. Write a sentence or two explaining that you already discussed your only significant hardship on the TMDSAS app so you don't want to repeat yourself here.
3. Discuss the hardship anyway, hopefully from a somewhat different angle.
4. Come up with some lesser hardship even if it seems trivial compared to the one discussed on the TMDSAS app.

Thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you have anything else to add go for it, but don't force it.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you have anything else to add go for it, but don't force it.

So would you write "Not applicable" (as the prompt says specifically not to leave it blank) or would you write something to the effect of "The one significant disadvantage in my life is x. However, I already discussed x in my TMDSAS optional essay and I do not wish to take up the admissions committee's time repeating information here."?

So would you write "Not applicable" (as the prompt says specifically not to leave it blank) or would you write something to the effect of "The one significant disadvantage in my life is x. However, I already discussed x in my TMDSAS optional essay and I do not wish to take up the admissions committee's time repeating information here."?

I would probably go with the latter, just making sure it's clear to them why you left it blank.

Reapplicant here. Am I required to send a letter from my pre-health advisor, or an HPE packet?

For the hardship essay, what if you honestly feel like you haven't had anything inhibiting your success. I feel guilty trying to exaggerate/think up something... do they disregard you if you don't have anything to say for that essay?

For the hardship essay, what if you honestly feel like you haven't had anything inhibiting your success. I feel guilty trying to exaggerate/think up something... do they disregard you if you don't have anything to say for that essay?

My friend last year that matriculated into A&M just wrote a small paragraph about how he was fortunate to have NOT been disadvantaged in any way, and that he believes it's his civic responsibility to give back to those less fortunate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Is everyone's A&M secondary status still listed as "PENDING"?

Members don't see this ad :)
When was you primary/secondary/secondary fee submitted/transmitted? IS/OOS?
Primary submitted 5/23, primary transmitted 5/30, secondary and fee submitted 6/2. And I'm OOS.

Primary submitted 5/23, primary transmitted 5/30, secondary and fee submitted 6/2. And I'm OOS.
That's odd, my primary was transmitted the third week of May, and my secondary was submitted/paid the fourth week of May, but I'm still pending and OOS.

Do you mind sharing your LizzyM and/or URM? I'm debating whether or not I should contact them haha

That's odd, my primary was transmitted the third week of May, and my secondary was submitted/paid the fourth week of May, but I'm still pending and OOS.

Do you mind sharing your LizzyM and/or URM? I'm debating whether or not I should contact them haha
LizzyM is 68, and I'm not URM.

Can you see on the portal whether your letters of recommendation have been sent? If you have told A&M that they will get letters from professor x,y,and z they will wait until all 3 have been received.

Can you see on the portal whether your letters of recommendation have been sent? If you have told A&M that they will get letters from professor x,y,and z they will wait until all 3 have been received.

All of my LORs have been received according to TMDSAS. Are there indicators on A&M whether or not they've been received? All four boxes (primary/secondary/fee/MCAT) are marked as "true."

All of my LORs have been received according to TMDSAS. Are there indicators on A&M whether or not they've been received? All four boxes (primary/secondary/fee/MCAT) are marked as "true."
If TMDSAS says they are sent you can trust that. Try clearing your cache in your computer before you log in to A&M next time. If you still get the same message then it probably means they are in the middle of updating things. congrats on getting it all turned in so early!

If TMDSAS says they are sent you can trust that. Try clearing your cache in your computer before you log in to A&M next time. If you still get the same message then it probably means they are in the middle of updating things. congrats on getting it all turned in so early!

Thanks, should I be concerned that mine still isn't "under review," considering another poster is already under review, but his app(s) were transmitted/submitted about two weeks after mine?

Thanks, should I be concerned that mine still isn't "under review," considering another poster is already under review, but his app(s) were transmitted/submitted about two weeks after mine?
Date of submission might not be the only way they decide which apps to review first. You've done your part!

Mine also says "under review." Submitted TMDSAS 5/28, transmitted 6/5, submitted secondary & fee 6/2.

Last edited:
For the 4th optional essay, do you guys know what they mean by "areas" of medicine? Do they mean specialties? For example, are they looking for things such as pediatrics, surgery, and oncology or things like teaching, research, and working in an underserved area?

i believe they mean specialty, but i doubt it would hurt to to tack on things like teaching/research etc

I got the e-mail saying "Thank you for your interest in our College of Medicine and submitting your secondary application." I haven't even submitted my secondary though... Has this happened to anyone else?

I got the e-mail saying "Thank you for your interest in our College of Medicine and submitting your secondary application." I haven't even submitted my secondary though... Has this happened to anyone else?
+1 same

Ya I panicked and thought I had accidentally submitted the secondary with every question blank. Thankfully that was not the case

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys know if they will start reviewing applications without Casper being submitted?

Yup I got the same email about them requiring CASPer. @brachialplexus I don't think so because they said it would "help them with the selection process".

Reactions: 1 user
I will research this myself, but I figure some of you may already know the answer. Is CASPer something that I should familiarize myself with before doing it? Any utility in prepping? Is there time pressure?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, but I have no experience with or knowledge of CASPer.

From what I've found on SDN, there's nothing really you can do to study. Lots of ethics and subjective scenarios - the best thing may be to mentally prepare your self with a scenario or two and write a written response on Word about how you would answer.

I've heard that maybe we can brush up on some clinical ethics?

Last edited:
I will research this myself, but I figure some of you may already know the answer. Is CASPer something that I should familiarize myself with before doing it? Any utility in prepping? Is there time pressure?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, but I have no experience with or knowledge of CASPer.
Here is the info page on CASPer.
https://takecasper.com/aboutcasper/
The test scenarios are described as "situational ethics" - What would you reasonably do in the situations presented on the test, some presented by video, and explain your role and your answer. It is similar to an MMI-type interview. People who have taken it have commented that they have had technical difficulties with loading the testing videos so it might be good to go do it at a testing center so they can document difficulties for you if they arise. You can take it on your own computer too if you have the right technical specs, a good internet speed, and a webcam. It is a timed test.

Also listed as pending, secondary submitted 6/4
@JPmoleymole and others who are applying to A&M, are there written secondary questions as well as the CASPer test for this year's application? If so, could one of you add the secondary questions and tag gyngyn so he can copy them to the first post in the thread?
Please and thank you!

@gyngyn
1. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 character maximum).
2. The honor code for the Texas A&M College of Medicine is: "A Texas A&M medical student is a professional who exhibits leadership, honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and self-discipline." Please briefly discuss what activities or personal attributes demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of our honor code (3500 character maximum).
3. Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage. (Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate. The character limit on this essay is 3500).
4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.

@gyngyn
Thanks, @kalbi

I've taken the CASPer before. It's really not too bad, but ethical based questions. Nothing you can study for!

I'd love to learn more about the scoring, if there's any information out there, and whether admissions see it as "We will only consider students who pass X threshold" or "Student A scored 4 points above X threshold, but Student B scored 20 points above X threshold, so we'll consider Student B more seriously."