2021-2022 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my reply from the A&M admissions office to clarify exactly the target numbers for this year.
(I love it when I'm right, but I felt I needed to double check because the first response I got was a little ambiguous and could have been interpreted a couple of ways).

And I quote, complete with the obligatory howdy:

"Howdy,

This would be a total of 250 accepted applicants, 200 MD and 50 EnMed. We are in discussions to increase the MD class size to 225 for the next cycle.

Stay well,

Carri Johnson | Administrative Associate V
Office of Admissions, College of Medicine | Texas A&M University"
Should include about 25 deferred candidates.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the school to show up in your ranking list for TMDSAS? I interviewed on 12/9 and A&M is still not showing up for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the school to show up in your ranking list for TMDSAS? I interviewed on 12/9 and A&M is still not showing up for me.
The school has to go to their portal manually and update each interviewed person. If you don't see anything by the first week of January, contact Texas A&M med school admissions office and ask them to update you so you can rank them

Reactions: 1 user
It took about 2 weeks for A&M to show up on my list. I'd say no need to fret yet :)

Reactions: 1 users
At this point are there anymore IIs going to be given out? After this week I figured they break for Christmas and then won’t return until January so curious if they are done?

Anyone heard of acceptances (regular MD) being sent out since the last big wave?

I had a deferred acceptance from the last application cycle. Interviewed for EnMed last August. Received an EnMed acceptance this evening. Very excited!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
EnMed acceptance yesterday evening as well, interviewed mid December!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Also received an EnMed acceptance last night! Interviewed in November (IS, non-trad applicant). Congrats to y'all who have been accepted!!🎉🎉🎉

I also recall from my interview day that the majority of the pre-match offers that A&M plans to extend will be to EnMed applicants. So if you are a standard IS MD applicant, I think it's more likely you'll hear on match day!

EnMed acceptance yesterday evening as well, interviewed late october! Beyond happy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to EnMeds that got accepted last night. Your hardwork paid off. You should be proud. Hoping for good news for regular MDs soon!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to all the EnMed folks. I am so happy for you 😄!

Do you all believe yesterday was the final wave for EnMed offers or is there still a shot? So anxious🥺

Congratulations to all the EnMed folks. I am so happy for you 😄!

Do you all believe yesterday was the final wave for EnMed offers or is there still a shot? So anxious🥺
I think in Texas especially the last shot will be after match day. Don't lose heart! I know how hard waiting is but you know, some things turn around right when you're about to give up hope!

I think in Texas especially the last shot will be after match day. Don't lose heart! I know how hard waiting is but you know, some things turn around right when you're about to give up hope!
thank you for the reassurance. However wasn’t it stated during the interview that EnMed only offers prematches? I may have misunderstood. Would appreciate a clarification. Thank you

thank you for the reassurance. However wasn’t it stated during the interview that EnMed only offers prematches? I may have misunderstood. Would appreciate a clarification. Thank you
I didn't get that impression although I may be mistaken. Wysdoc may be able to clarify?

I didn't get that impression although I may be mistaken. Wysdoc may be able to clarify?
I don't know about that fine point, @HoosierScience77 and @DesperatePremed123
Even if EnMed does accept mostly via pre-matches though, some people are going to turn those down for another offer and there will be wait list movement this spring. Some Texans who got a prematch offer from EnMed might rank another TX school higher and match there in March.
EnMed has up to 50 seats.
The one thing I am sure of is that regular MD interviews need to be done before our match rank day in February.
Good luck to you all :)

I don't know about that fine point, @HoosierScience77 and @DesperatePremed123
Even if EnMed does accept mostly via pre-matches though, some people are going to turn those down for another offer and there will be wait list movement this spring. Some Texans who got a prematch offer from EnMed might rank another TX school higher and match there in March.
EnMed has up to 50 seats.
The one thing I am sure of is that regular MD interviews need to be done before our match rank day in February.
Good luck to you all :)
Thank you both for your help!

Does EnMED send out rejections to OOS? Or do they wait till the end of the cycle. Not sure if we should be expecting some movement after the IS students have their matching process?

Does EnMED send out rejections to OOS? Or do they wait till the end of the cycle. Not sure if we should be expecting some movement after the IS students have their matching process?
The TMDSAS schools have a 10% cap on OOS matriculants.
New offers to EnMed could happen at any time that another accepted OOS person withdraws in favor of a school they prefer.

I would expect most of the later offers to happen for OOS applicants closer to April 30 or beyond, since that’s the day AMCAS requires you to narrow down your choices.

Getting worried, I had an interview early September but no prematch. Has anyone heard of someone with an early interview that ended up matching on match day without a prematch? (Not ENMED)

Getting worried, I had an interview early September but no prematch. Has anyone heard of someone with an early interview that ended up matching on match day without a prematch? (Not ENMED)
Yes, in fact 6 out of 7 TMDSAS applicants match without having prior prematches.
Rank your schools in your true order of preference.

Also, I am pretty confident that the majority of pre-match offers that A&M is extending are reserved for EnMed applicants (they shared this with us on my EnMed interview day). So for example, A&M might only extend 55 prematch offers total and let's say 50 of those go to EnMed students. Only 5 non EnMEd students would get a prematch offer. The remaining 200 or so students that get accepted at A&M find out on match day!

Also, I am pretty confident that the majority of pre-match offers that A&M is extending are reserved for EnMed applicants (they shared this with us on my EnMed interview day). So for example, A&M might only extend 55 prematch offers total and let's say 50 of those go to EnMed students. Only 5 non EnMEd students would get a prematch offer. The remaining 200 or so students that get accepted at A&M find out on match day!
Okay, thank you ! I just thought that most matches were for those with interviews after oct 15th, so this gives me some reassurance, just getting super worried haha

I just got an II! It is very exciting!

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
hey y'all. I was wondering if TAMU provided students with an iPad or computer?

hey y'all. I was wondering if TAMU provided students with an iPad or computer?
Although there are loaner computers you can arrange to check out and use for exams, the COM doesn't normally provide electronics to students and you are expected to have your own laptop (must be a laptop--tablets are not currently allowed for exam use).

Really need some insight here: I'm an early assurance student at TAMU applying next cycle, meaning I'm guaranteed to be accepted. One of the biggest factors I'm looking at it merit scholarships. I have a 521 and a 4.0 right now and will hopefully maintain for this next semester, as well as multiple research awards, ECs, and hopefully a decent essay. I probably won't qualify for need-based financial aid. I'm aware that it's possible to leverage scholarships offered between different schools and see if they can match them. Unfortunately, since I'm locked into the program and can't apply to any other school without losing my seat, it doesn't really sound like I can do that.

Do you think TAMU would give me any merit aid? My MCAT score is in the top 10% of the class based on the previous class profile.

I'd like everyone's insight because I'm considering applying out of the program and taking my chances elsewhere if TAMU isn't likely to offer me a compelling scholarship, as I've heard of many students getting a substantial amount of aid on the basis of merit from other Texas schools. I like TAMU's atmosphere and curriculum, but I want to tread carefully and try to get as much money as possible for all of the hard work I've put in.
Don't you feel that the assurance of your seat at this school has some merit? You will save yourself a year of work if you don't have to write the essays for multiple schools. Your most affordable medical school will be a TMDSAS school.

Don't you feel that the assurance of your seat at this school has some merit? You will save yourself a year of work if you don't have to write the essays for multiple schools. Your most affordable medical school will be a TMDSAS school.
I'm alright with putting in more work if it means I can get more money to pay for medical school. My parents aren't willing to help me pay for my expenses so I'm on my own and have to be smart about how I approach potentially six-figure debt.

However, I would like to know the odds of getting merit aid at TAMU before I make a decision.

@aboyblast2 No one can say whether or not you will get a scholarship from TAMU but it is possible. You have to decide for yourself whether you want to risk losing your seat and not becoming a medical student at all for the possibility of securing a scholarship. A 521 MCAT and 4.0 GPA only mean so much, truly. The biggest advice I can give you right now as a future colleague is don't let transient financial considerations (i.e. medical school debt) determine your future as a physician, else that same line of thinking will convince you to not go into pediatrics/FM despite finding that is your real passion.

• Love
Really need some insight here: I'm an early assurance student at TAMU applying next cycle, meaning I'm guaranteed to be accepted. One of the biggest factors I'm looking at it merit scholarships. I have a 521 and a 4.0 right now and will hopefully maintain for this next semester, as well as multiple research awards, ECs, and hopefully a decent essay. I probably won't qualify for need-based financial aid. I'm aware that it's possible to leverage scholarships offered between different schools and see if they can match them. Unfortunately, since I'm locked into the program and can't apply to any other school without losing my seat, it doesn't really sound like I can do that.

Do you think TAMU would give me any merit aid? My MCAT score is in the top 10% of the class based on the previous class profile.

I'd like everyone's insight because I'm considering applying out of the program and taking my chances elsewhere if TAMU isn't likely to offer me a compelling scholarship, as I've heard of many students getting a substantial amount of aid on the basis of merit from other Texas schools. I like TAMU's atmosphere and curriculum, but I want to tread carefully and try to get as much money as possible for all of the hard work I've put in.
Are you allowed to apply out while retaining your seat?

Your numbers are good enough for UTSW and Baylor interviews. Whether anyone will give you a scholarship is purely speculation since the scholarship process in texas schools is very speculative and not necessarily based on merit. We hear people randomly stating that they have been given a scholarship but their profiles are not that different from others who didnt get anything.

Hey yall
Do you know if TAMU is done interviewing for the cycle? Im an OOS (3.8 516 ORM) with pretty good state ties but haven't heard a peep since I submitted my secondary in late July

Interviewed for EnMed in September, still haven't heard anything back. I am OOS as well. Any chance at this point for getting an acceptance?

Losing hope in this cycle ngl, since TAMU has been my only interview invite thus far.

Interviewed for EnMed in September, still haven't heard anything back. I am OOS as well. Any chance at this point for getting an acceptance?

Losing hope in this cycle ngl, since TAMU has been my only interview invite thus far.
I asked them this question a few months ago. They said prematch offers continue through February. Hope you hear good news soon.

Hey guys, I was wondering what the attendance policy for TAMU med school is like for lectures? Is there a certain mandatory attendance requirement for the lectures? I overall tend to do better just studying on my own with recorded lectures, so I was wondering what TAMU's policy on this is like.

Hey guys, I was wondering what the attendance policy for TAMU med school is like for lectures? Is there a certain mandatory attendance requirement for the lectures? I overall tend to do better just studying on my own with recorded lectures, so I was wondering what TAMU's policy on this is like.
Howdy! Like most medical schools, TAMU's lectures are optional, recorded, and maybe 20 - 25% of the class attends in person. Currently, we have access to the previous year's recordings, the current year's recordings are posted several days after the lecture, we get access to lecture handouts (and/or powerpoints), and you are only allowed to Zoom into the class if you have an excused absence. Even ignoring lectures entirely and just studying the handouts is typicaly sufficient for all material covered on the exam.

There are mandatory in-person events that you will have at least once a week for your practice of medicine class and how often additional mandatory events come up depends on the classes you are in. You can expect many mandatory afternoons in the first classes (namely anatomy, histology, and neuro) to do dissections/labs but very few mandatories in most blocks. The rare in-person, mandatory events that aren't for a lab tend to be a visiting clinician or patients coming to talk to the class.

Edit: Anatomy labs do take quite a bit of time but histology labs don't take too long and neuro labs are very quick.

If you miss a mandatory event without a valid excuse then you lose 1% on your final grade in the course; however, the department which handles attendance has been very lenient and willing to work with you if you do have something to use as an excuse, in my personal experience. Please let me know if I can clear anything else up!

Last edited:
Howdy! Like most medical schools, TAMU's lectures are optional, recorded, and maybe 20 - 25% of the class attends in person. Currently, we have access to the previous year's recordings, the current year's recordings are posted several days after the lecture, we get access to lecture handouts (and/or powerpoints), and you are only allowed to Zoom into the class if you have an excused absence. Even ignoring lectures entirely and just studying the handouts is typicaly sufficient for all material covered on the exam.

There are mandatory in-person events that you will have at least once a week for your practice of medicine class and how often additional mandatory events come up depends on the classes you are in. You can expect many mandatory afternoons in the first classes (namely anatomy, histology, and neuro) to do dissections/labs but very few mandatories in most blocks. The rare in-person, mandatory events that aren't for a lab tend to be a visiting clinician or patients coming to talk to the class.

Edit: Anatomy labs do take quite a bit of time but histology labs don't take too long and neuro labs are very quick.

If you miss a mandatory event without a valid excuse then you lose 1% on your final grade in the course; however, the department which handles attendance has been very lenient and willing to work with you if you do have something to use as an excuse, in my personal experience. Please let me know if I can clear anything else up!
This is very helpful, thank you!

Hello! Does anyone know if TAMU med school uses NBME questions for exams?

Hello! Does anyone know if TAMU med school uses NBME questions for exams?
Yes, NBME exams are incorporated into the curriculum, but how much depends on the block you are in and you are told at the beginning of the block what % will be in-house vs NBME. There are good reasons for not being 100% NBME but the faculty and school in general is very receptive of student feedback and know that most of us like to be tested with NBME. For what it's worth, I've been doing only 3rd party resources for a few of the more difficult-to-do-it-in blocks (less NBME content) and am still able to comfortably pass in-house exams.

In general, they may teach you in a very detailed manner to help you integrate and understand material but they tend to do a really good job about testing clinically relevant information instead of odd single-fact details. For example, they may teach you the exact 3-dimensional neuronal pathway for some given information (i.e. pain, temperature, hearing, etc.) but they really only care if you know how to localize a lesion given the clinical presentation.

Last edited:
Yes, NBME exams are incorporated into the curriculum, but how much depends on the block you are in and you are told at the beginning of the block what % will be in-house vs NBME. There are good reasons for not being 100% NBME but the faculty and school in general is very receptive of student feedback and know that most of us like to be tested with NBME. For what it's worth, I've been doing only 3rd party resources for a few of the more difficult-to-do-it-in blocks (less NBME content) and am still able to comfortably pass in-house exams.

In general, they may teach you in a very detailed manner to help you integrate and understand material but they tend to do a really good job about testing clinically relevant information instead of odd single-fact details. For example, they may teach you the exact 3-dimensional neuronal pathway for some given information (i.e. pain, temperature, hearing, etc.) but they really only care if you know how to localize a lesion given the clinical presentation.
How do classes work once we move sites for MS2? Do they go online or do we learn in-person at our tracks? TIA!

How do classes work once we move sites for MS2? Do they go online or do we learn in-person at our tracks? TIA!
It will be a mixture of both but I am not 100% sure whether the typical lecture is online (I think it's this option but take it with a grain of salt) or there are separate lecturers at the other campuses, since I'm staying in BCS and my class hasn't split yet. Regardless, everyone continues to have the same schedule, lecture content, and exams (besides EnMed, who is separate from the beginning).