2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that received their financial aid offers, did it automatically have scholarships or did you get notified a different way? Those numbers are... wow... compared to other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

My status was updated on April 28th and I was put on the alternate list. Does anyone know if our standing on the alternate list will be changed so that we can see it on the portal today? or at any point in the future?

Members don't see this ad :)
My status was updated on April 28th and I was put on the alternate list. Does anyone know if our standing on the alternate list will be changed so that we can see it on the portal today? or at any point in the future?
When I got the status email I scrolled down and it gave me a number. Do you not have one?

Yes
The last thing I see is this:
“Alternate List Decision
You have chosen to remain on the alternate list.”

I do, but I am just wondering if the number will update as people opt out or get accepted.
Oh I gotcha, I’m not sure if they will update those live, from what I’ve heard they will update you once an A in given, if not people wait until deadline near orientation.

I believe that in years past, those who applied for MD/PhD were not always given a number and they had to email admissions to see what number they are. This may be the case if you applied for MD/PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
For those that received their financial aid offers, did it automatically have scholarships or did you get notified a different way? Those numbers are... wow... compared to other schools.
Same question. But when I asked, they said, “The Financial Aid Office is currently working on financial aid packets for all students. You should be hearing from them soon. If you have specific financial aid questions, please contact their office at [email protected] or 503-494-7800.” On 4/28

What numbers? Good wow or bad wow?

Same question. But when I asked, they said, “The Financial Aid Office is currently working on financial aid packets for all students. You should be hearing from them soon. If you have specific financial aid questions, please contact their office at [email protected] or 503-494-7800.” On 4/28

What numbers? Good wow or bad wow?
Bad wow... expensive tuition/fees/living expenses/health insurance like 115K

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
you can see what tuition is on MSAR. They could be out of state. In state for me and in total this year has cost me 80-90, that’s including tuition and living expenses, etc. that’s crazy high in general, but honestly comparable to a lot of other programs (45k tuition, >30k a year living expenses).

Health care **IS** very expensive at OHSU though. A lot of our class opted out and got OHP, unless you have a partner making money you should qualify. Even if you don’t qualify try and get insurance thru your partner or the marketplace, OHSU’s insurance is not great.

Reactions: 1 users
you can see what tuition is on MSAR. They could be out of state. In state for me and in total this year has cost me 80-90, that’s including tuition and living expenses, etc. that’s crazy high in general, but honestly comparable to a lot of other programs (45k tuition, >30k a year living expenses).

Health care **IS** very expensive at OHSU though. A lot of our class opted out and got OHP, unless you have a partner making money you should qualify. Even if you don’t qualify try and get insurance thru your partner or the marketplace, OHSU’s insurance is not great.
That is still high for IS. Damn...

I second this question! I received my financial aid package so I am wondering if that means I was not selected for any scholarships. I am Oregon heritage but have lost my residency so these numbers really hurt now that I am considered out of state. Also, does anyone know what percentage of students receive scholarships? Are they generous with them or is it really just a select few that receive offers?

My OOS COA for the MD/MPH program was ~$112k for the first year for reference

Best of luck to everyone awaiting a decision. I just withdrew my acceptance from OHSU after coming off the waitlist at a school offering me in-state tuition. Not sure if my spot will go to someone waiting on the MD/MPH pool. Hope everyone that gets accepted has a great MS1 year. The facilities were amazing when I took a tour.
Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

I just got in! #18 (I didn't get an email, I checked the portal)

Reactions: 4 users
Looks like they missed my withdrawal when I emailed them back in March. They just officially processed my decline after emailing me to tell me to withdraw hahaha. Looks like there will be massive WL movement today.

Is there any chance people who interviewed at OHSU last cycle that were instate applicants could tell me what their stats were? I'm instate and am debating applying since my stats are kind of low. I know this is off topic and people are waiting to see if they've been admitted but I thought it might be worth asking.

Is there any chance people who interviewed at OHSU last cycle that were instate applicants could tell me what their stats were? I'm instate and am debating applying since my stats are kind of low. I know this is off topic and people are waiting to see if they've been admitted but I thought it might be worth asking.
They take a really holistic approach and are quite diligent in their review process. Basically, if you get an interview they're comfortable with your stats and want to figure out more who you are as a person. If you're worried about low stats, one year post bacc at an improved level helps a lot. My undergrad GPA was garbage, but I did post bacc work 3 years later at a 4.0 and had a 514 MCAT to back it up (shout out to Portland State University!). OHSU took my improvement into account. I also worked in the ER for 3+ years and had some awesome volunteering opportunities and those extracurriculars and experiences are probably what pushed my app over the edge. Showing improvement, resilience, and commitment to medicine/service says a lot about your character and whether you'll be successful. More so than raw stats IMO and I get the feeling OHSU would agree (though stats definitely help!). No matter what, I think you should attempt it. Even if you don't get in this next go around, you'll benefit from being a reapplicant going forward and learn a lot from the process. Best of luck to you friend. You can do it!

Reactions: 2 users
They take a really holistic approach and are quite diligent in their review process. Basically, if you get an interview they're comfortable with your stats and want to figure out more who you are as a person. If you're worried about low stats, one year post bacc at an improved level helps a lot. My undergrad GPA was garbage, but I did post bacc work 3 years later at a 4.0 and had a 514 MCAT to back it up (shout out to Portland State University!). OHSU took my improvement into account. I also worked in the ER for 3+ years and had some awesome volunteering opportunities and those extracurriculars and experiences are probably what pushed my app over the edge. Showing improvement, resilience, and commitment to medicine/service says a lot about your character and whether you'll be successful. More so than raw stats IMO and I get the feeling OHSU would agree (though stats definitely help!). No matter what, I think you should attempt it. Even if you don't get in this next go around, you'll benefit from being a reapplicant going forward and learn a lot from the process. Best of luck to you friend. You can do it!
I did a post bacc for one term at Portland State University but prior to that I've had my GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range since the start of 2020. Even so my GPA overall is about 3.3. Do you think OHSU will take notice of the upward trend enough to give me a shot at an interview(assuming the rest of my application is good). Also thank you for your response!

I did a post bacc for one term at Portland State University but prior to that I've had my GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range since the start of 2020. Even so my GPA overall is about 3.3. Do you think OHSU will take notice of the upward trend enough to give me a shot at an interview(assuming the rest of my application is good). Also thank you for your response!
Considering my undergrad GPA was significantly worse, yes. I had a lot of complications with my undergrad experience and felt they caused me to underperform. Turns out I was right and 3 years of maturity and experience definitely helped going back to school. It's totally possible for you. Make sure your MCAT is excellent to match that more recent upward trend and it makes those new stats feel more reliable. Beyond that focus on your work experiences, volunteering, and extracurriculars, especially anything clinical. HMU if you have any questions.

For those accepted, where are y’all looking for housing? Trying to figure out a lease in the next month or so. Also for those recently accepted, is there any paperwork or deposits we need to get done?

For those accepted, where are y’all looking for housing? Trying to figure out a lease in the next month or so. Also for those recently accepted, is there any paperwork or deposits we need to get done?
Homestead vs. South Waterfront. Haven't paid any deposit to school. I don't see any from the emails sent to me thus far. Just forms to sign.

Currently WL, however I've been living in Portland for a while and can offer some thoughts on this (especially if you're not very familiar with the city).

Most convenient place to live would be the South Waterfront, because you could walk to the RLSB and/or tram every day. However, the SW is also hella expensive. IMO the best places to look for a spot are in: (A) Lair Hill (B) Brooklyn (C) Moreland-ish (including East ML, West ML, Creston-Kenilworth and Sellwood) (D) on Marquam hill (E) anywhere else that's within a short walking distance to the yellow/orange line.

(A) Lair Hill is also walkable to campus, but adds 10-15 minutes. Cheaper options than SW.
(B) Brooklyn is over the river, but walkable to the Orange line which has a stop at the RLSB. ~15-20 minute commute total. Also very easy to cycle from this neighborhood w/very little road sharing.
(C) This general area is a little further out than Brooklyn, but you can still cycle to campus or catch a bus/train easily. More housing options & you'll feel more like you're in the city.
(D) There are apartments on Marquam hill west of campus. Kind of dated. Were very affordable a few years ago, not sure what the rent looks like currently. This option is just as convenient as Lair Hill, but it is more removed from the rest of the city. So you'll be living/breathing/sleeping in OHSU all the time.
(E) The yellow/orange line is the train that stops at RLSB. It is fast & reliable. If you don't find anything you like/can afford in the above - look further north or south along the Y/O line.
This is all great info for living and travel.

Also want to point out that I’m basically in Beaverton and commuting/parking has been pretty manageable thus far, if you’re someone who only comes to campus for group sessions, instead of lecture everyday. So if you have a family/ pets or just want to be a bit out of Portland metro area, it’s totally total doable

Also want to point out that I’m basically in Beaverton and commuting/parking has been pretty manageable thus far, if you’re someone who only comes to campus for group sessions, instead of lecture everyday. So if you have a family/ pets or just want to be a bit out of Portland metro area, it’s totally total doable
About how many days/wk are you on campus?

Lectures optional? What are fundamental blocks like?

Does anyone know what the class schedule is like in the first year (M1 and M2)? How many hours of mandatory lectures/workshops we have...are Fridays and Mondays/Tuesdays busy?

Does anyone know what the class schedule is like in the first year (M1 and M2)? How many hours of mandatory lectures/workshops we have...are Fridays and Mondays/Tuesdays busy?
Mondays for us had mandatory small groups from 1-4pm, until preceptorships started and the sessions were moved to Tuesday afternoons. You’ll have occasional Wednesday or Thursday mandatory classes sprinkled in during the first several months. Friday exams are only mandatory in person if they are clinical skills assessments in the simulation center or if it’s an anatomy exam. Most of us take friday afternoons off if there isn’t a Clinical skills assessment. They have lectures on Friday afternoons sometimes, but attendance is typically low for those.

I would say the majority of weeks you will need to be on campus ~3 times a week. Fund (first 8 weeks) is probably the block where you can get away with once a week. the next block (blood and host) had many weeks with mandatory events every day. Skin, Bones Muscle starts in Jan and is very anatomy heavy, so depending on previous anatomy exposure planning on going in several times a week to study on the donors is probably a good idea. Cardiology, Pulm and Renal are probably more like the 2-3 times average depending on the week. It really varies quite wildly depending on the block, how much the directors like small group work, etc.

About how many days/wk are you on campus?
pretty much what neuroscifan and nahdog
said:

I’m on campus the least amount possible. Anywhere between once a week for small groups, to like 3-4 times a week if a bunch of mandatory stuff comes up. When I’m on campus it’s usually only a couple hours though! I’m never on campus all day unless I want to be (I study at home).

Lectures optional? What are fundamental blocks like?
Oh ya. Typical schedule is Mon-Fri we have lectures 8-12 then either independent study or small groups after. Lectures are recorded so you can watch whenever you want (or not watch at all if you’re a 3rd party person). Gives a lot of flexibility. I haven’t been to a lecture since probably November. But there are still people who go to every lecture and that’s great too, you have the options to find what’s best for your learning

pretty much what neuroscifan and nahdog
said:

I’m on campus the least amount possible. Anywhere between once a week for small groups, to like 3-4 times a week if a bunch of mandatory stuff comes up. When I’m on campus it’s usually only a couple hours though! I’m never on campus all day unless I want to be (I study at home).

Oh ya. Typical schedule is Mon-Fri we have lectures 8-12 then either independent study or small groups after. Lectures are recorded so you can watch whenever you want (or not watch at all if you’re a 3rd party person). Gives a lot of flexibility. I haven’t been to a lecture since probably November. But there are still people who go to every lecture and that’s great too, you have the options to find what’s best for your learning
OHSU is not PBL, right? I want to go back to old school classroom tbh after years of independent grad schooling

OHSU is not PBL, right? I want to go back to old school classroom tbh after years of independent grad schooling
Nope, classical lecture structure for the 8a-12p lectures. Some professors have students engage more than others and answer polling questions, but overall consistent with the traditional lecture structure of things. In the required attendance Clinical Skills Labs you have more problem based learning in small groups, but it's relevant to that week's topic so not your primary source of that info. There are also small group sessions depending on the week and block that are structured as cases you go through with small groups, but once again not your primary source of learning that info, more to solidify and often optional attendance.