2017-2018 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you ever receive an email from TAMHSC that they have received/processed your application? I never got one even though on the portal it says "under review" for me

No I don't think I got an email. As lon as your portal says you're complete, you're good to go!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone planning to go to the pre-match celebration? I live in Houston so I am debating since it's a quick drive.

Is anyone planning to go to the pre-match celebration? I live in Houston so I am debating since it's a quick drive.
I am going. I am from College Station though so its easy for me. I interviewed in Temple and even though I have been in the medical school here before I want to check it out again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current students here on the Dallas or Houston tracks that would be down to share about their experiences?

Just got an II here by email!!! complete early august. LizzyM ~71, ORM, IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is there anyone that interviewed here on November 9? Have you received a prematch?Does anyone know if they release more prematches as the season goes on? Or are they mainly a match heavy school and the prematch window has passed?

Is there anyone that interviewed here on November 9? Have you received a prematch?Does anyone know if they release more prematches as the season goes on? Or are they mainly a match heavy school and the prematch window has passed?
I interviewed on 11/9 and received a prematch offer on 11/15. I'm not sure if they will be sending more prematches out but during my interview, they said that they were not a prematch heavy school and that they only planned to send out as many prematches as there are seats in the class (~150) on 11/15. I don't think they'll send out a ton more prematches since they said that but they definitely said they were more match-heavy so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Hello,

Can someone who interviewed please share the match list? I threw mine away which was stupid but it would really help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Hello,
Can someone who interviewed please share the match list? I threw mine away which was stupid but it would really help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
upload_2017-11-30_10-22-16.png

upload_2017-11-30_10-22-44.png

upload_2017-11-30_10-23-0.png

upload_2017-11-30_10-23-19.png

upload_2017-11-30_10-23-44.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would any current A&M MS1/MS2 students be willing to share their experiences with the curriculum and as to how difficult it was?

I like it. I really enjoyed that we started off med school with clinical stuff, and by the end of our first we learned how to do a full physical. Our standardized patients learn the whole process, teach us, and then we do a final physical on then (soon for me).

As for sciences, it’s not too bad. No one here is out to fail you. There are so many opportunities for review sessions. Our histology and anatomy professors are great about it. Sometimes I’m concerned for them (do they eat or sleep?). The staff here I feel is really dedicated to the success of their students.

Hey guys! I got accepted to A&M and Texas Tech at Lubbock and I was wondering if they are both comparable schools? I liked both schools during my interviews though Tech is more rural than A&M - especially in the last two clinic years. I've been leaning towards A&M due to the chance to do my clinical rotations in bigger hospitals but Texas Tech offered me a $40,000 scholarship O.O It's a good problem to have but still stressing me out! I don't have a specific specialty I want to do yet - but I know I don't want to do surgery or primary care. An IM subspeciality is most likely what I am leaning towards. Any thoughts?

Hey guys! I got accepted to A&M and Texas Tech at Lubbock and I was wondering if they are both comparable schools? I liked both schools during my interviews though Tech is more rural than A&M - especially in the last two clinic years. I've been leaning towards A&M due to the chance to do my clinical rotations in bigger hospitals but Texas Tech offered me a $40,000 scholarship O.O It's a good problem to have but still stressing me out! I don't have a specific specialty I want to do yet - but I know I don't want to do surgery or primary care. An IM subspeciality is most likely what I am leaning towards. Any thoughts?
Just an FYI. At the Prematch meeting today they mentioned that the scholarship committee will have heir first meeting Tuesday and then will start sending emails with scholarship offers. I know not everyone gets one but I thought you might find that info useful if you weren’t there. As far as comparing the two can’t help you too much as I only interviewed at A&M. With 5 campuses though you can easily find a setting that matches what you are wanting to do though. The deans of each campus presented on their locations today as well. If you email the associate dean of admissions he will arrange tours at any campus for you.

Congrats to all the IIs and pre-matches that have gone out recently!

I'm going to echo a sentiment someone posted about earlier. Does anyone have any insight to some pros and cons for the 5 campuses? I'm having trouble choosing between them.

Question for those who interviewed, when does the interview day end and what are the final activities? My flight leaves from Austin at 7pm or so after my interview in Temple, so I’m wondering if I can make that or if I will have to skip out early from the interview day? Thanks in advance.

Question for those who interviewed, when does the interview day end and what are the final activities? My flight leaves from Austin at 7pm or so after my interview in Temple, so I’m wondering if I can make that or if I will have to skip out early from the interview day? Thanks in advance.
The individual interviews are the last activity of the day. You won’t know your actual times till the day of. I can’t remember exactly how late the last possible time slot is. I’ll look at my paperwork later and let you know how late mine was (it was one of the last I think for that day).

The latest interview time slot was 5:00, and the interviews last about 30 minutes. At the latest, you'll be done by 5:30. Many people had their second interview earlier than that.

The latest interview time slot was 5:00, and the interviews last about 30 minutes. At the latest, you'll be done by 5:30. Many people had their second interview earlier than that.
Mine last one was at five. I know there were a handful of students at least still there at that time but couldn’t tell you exactly.
I will say that I did have another interview where I booked an early flight (trying to get a cheaper price) to the latest interview and then ended up having the last interview time slot. I can’t say it completely distracted me from my interview but it was definitely on my mind hoping I wouldn’t miss my flight. In a situation such as this I would say any opportunity to lessen stress and limit distractions is a good idea.

Mine last one was at five. I know there were a handful of students at least still there at that time but couldn’t tell you exactly.
I will say that I did have another interview where I booked an early flight (trying to get a cheaper price) to the latest interview and then ended up having the last interview time slot. I can’t say it completely distracted me from my interview but it was definitely on my mind hoping I wouldn’t miss my flight. In a situation such as this I would say any opportunity to lessen stress and limit distractions is a good idea.
I was thinking of calling the admissions office tomorrow and ask if I can have an earlier interview since it sounds like I could be pretty much screwed if I’m last. Think they’ll accommodate?

I was thinking of calling the admissions office tomorrow and ask if I can have an earlier interview since it sounds like I could be pretty much screwed if I’m last. Think they’ll accommodate?
They might be able to do this, but if not, this is a pretty high stakes interview as an OOS applicant interested in Texas schools. Think about spending the night and flying back the next day, especially if you booked on SW airlines and there is no change fee. You don't want your interview day colored by the fear of missing your flight, checking your watch, etc. etc. You want your interview day to show you as relaxed and in control. :)

I am still under review, and have been since May. Is there still a chance for an interview here?

I am still under review, and have been since May. Is there still a chance for an interview here?

On last year's thread, there were some IIs reported as late as mid-December. It's definitely winding down, though.

They might be able to do this, but if not, this is a pretty high stakes interview as an OOS applicant interested in Texas schools. Think about spending the night and flying back the next day, especially if you booked on SW airlines and there is no change fee. You don't want your interview day colored by the fear of missing your flight, checking your watch, etc. etc. You want your interview day to show you as relaxed and in control. :)
I just emailed them, and they said they could accommodate me and make the interviews earlier. They were really nice about it!

Just interviewed at the Bryan campus today. It was excellent! The Associate Dean of Admissions Filo Maldonado, as he was saying goodbye to all the interviewees, said something along the lines of "if you are accepted here either before dec 31 or if you are matched, i look forward to seeing you again." So it looks like there'll be more prematch offers (unless he just said that out of habit or something).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just interviewed at the Bryan campus today. It was excellent! The Associate Dean of Admissions, Filo Maldonado, as he was saying goodbye to all the interviewees, said something along the lines of "if you are accepted here either before dec 31 or if you are matched, i look forward to seeing you again." So it looks like there'll be more prematch offers (unless he just said that out of habit or something).
I mean it’s snowing right now in College station. Anything is possible! Good luck! Hope you enjoyed your interview date.

Interview day was AMAZING!!! Loved loved loved it and all the kind people I met today.

Reactions: 5 users
Just interviewed at the Bryan campus today. It was excellent! The Associate Dean of Admissions, Filo Maldonado, as he was saying goodbye to all the interviewees, said something along the lines of "if you are accepted here either before dec 31 or if you are matched, i look forward to seeing you again." So it looks like there'll be more prematch offers (unless he just said that out of habit or something).

Ooooo! I hope it wasn't out of habit. I'd LOVE a prematch here. But just assuming we'll have to wait until 2/1 and see what happens! Good luck! Glad you liked your interview! (I interviewed at the Temple campus earlier in the year and liked it a lot)

Hi everyone! I just accepted a prematch offer from this school yesterday! I was a reapplicant; last year I applied and was put on the alternate list. Lizzy M is 66, but I had a lot of research and clinical experience.

I just wanted to let everyone here know that this school does offer a lot of alternate spots. And quite a few people that I met on interview day had been alternates that were given an offer the 2nd year they applied. So if it doesn't work out this cycle, please hold out- there's a high likelihood it would the next cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! I just accepted a prematch offer from this school yesterday! I was a reapplicant; last year I applied and was put on the alternate list. Lizzy M is 66, but I had a lot of research and clinical experience.

I just wanted to let everyone here know that this school does offer a lot of alternate spots. And quite a few people that I met on interview day had been alternates that were given an offer the 2nd year they applied. So if it doesn't work out this cycle, please hold out- there's a high likelihood it would the next cycle!

Congrats!

Does anyone have the facebook group information for the entering class? I can't find it!

Received an II from here this week for a date next week. Made it just before the buzzer as next week is their final week of interviews.

Also how does A&M rank in Texas? How does it look to residency programs? I realize you probably don't know this exactly, but as a student there what is your impression?

Also I lost my interview packet lol so if anyone can post the most recent match list I'd appreciate it!

Hey great question! I hope you had the chance to check out the match list. I'm an MS4 and loved my time here as a student. I was Temple for 4 years. Great time and would 100% do it again. I understand your question about the residency thing. Yes, it's mid-tier Texas program. In my experience, I don't think school rank matters too much at the level of the individual. But if you do well, you're getting invite to interview for residency way more times than not. Admittedly, this does not hold true for brand name programs that love pedigree like Penn. I'm a fourth year applying for a competitive specialty and hold invites at many top programs. I definitely feel in a great position to get the residency I want and feel you could too. Let me know if you have any questions.

Two years ago, we matched around 11? derm in one year. That is wild. I definitely feel in a great position to get the residency I want and feel you could too.

Hey! Congratulations to you on multiple acceptances! I also held offers from TTU and TAMU. I choose TAMU for some of the same reasons you have mentioned. I really liked the option to go to Houston/Dallas/Temple which all had residency programs directors that I could get to know during my time there. You would have the opportunity to rotate in Midland/Odessa and Amarillo which could provide you with a great experience to primary care/IM lead you to a sweet IM residency and subsequent fellowship. You'll get great training at both programs for sure. I would rank (and did choose) based on location/opportunity. I wanted to go to a place that would best open doors for a residency that I would want. At that point, TAMU was the best choice for me and I've been super happy here. That being said, I would've had a great time at TTU. Congratulations on the 40k incentive. That's a great accomplishment. Just now you need to think if it's worth it in the long-run. I think you should still go to where you would be happiest. The years can be tough so being happy is huge. I wish you the best in your deliberation! I hope it's us but you'll do great anywhere you choose.

Hey great question! I hope you had the chance to check out the match list. I'm an MS4 and loved my time here as a student. I was Temple for 4 years. Great time and would 100% do it again. I understand your question about the residency thing. Yes, it's mid-tier Texas program. In my experience, I don't think school rank matters too much at the level of the individual. But if you do well, you're getting invite to interview for residency way more times than not. Admittedly, this does not hold true for brand name programs that love pedigree like Penn. I'm a fourth year applying for a competitive specialty and hold invites at many top programs. I definitely feel in a great position to get the residency I want and feel you could too. Let me know if you have any questions.

Two years ago, we matched around 11? derm in one year. That is wild. I definitely feel in a great position to get the residency I want and feel you could too.

Hey! Congratulations to you on multiple acceptances! I also held offers from TTU and TAMU. I choose TAMU for some of the same reasons you have mentioned. I really liked the option to go to Houston/Dallas/Temple which all had residency programs directors that I could get to know during my time there. You would have the opportunity to rotate in Midland/Odessa and Amarillo which could provide you with a great experience to primary care/IM lead you to a sweet IM residency and subsequent fellowship. You'll get great training at both programs for sure. I would rank (and did choose) based on location/opportunity. I wanted to go to a place that would best open doors for a residency that I would want. At that point, TAMU was the best choice for me and I've been super happy here. That being said, I would've had a great time at TTU. Congratulations on the 40k incentive. That's a great accomplishment. Just now you need to think if it's worth it in the long-run. I think you should still go to where you would be happiest. The years can be tough so being happy is huge. I wish you the best in your deliberation! I hope it's us but you'll do great anywhere you choose.

Thank you!!!!!!

Hey thanks for sharing about your experience! Do you know anyone that has gone through the Houston or Dallas tracks? I'd like to get some anecdotes on what it's like rotating at BUMC or Houston Methodist.

Hey thanks for sharing about your experience! Do you know anyone that has gone through the Houston or Dallas tracks? I'd like to get some anecdotes on what it's like rotating at BUMC or Houston Methodist.

I second this question about these two tracks. I loved my interview here and have no clue how I am going to rank A&M and Dell. Just gonna hope it comes to me in the night at this point.

I second this question about these two tracks. I loved my interview here and have no clue how I am going to rank A&M and Dell. Just gonna hope it comes to me in the night at this point.

#SAME!