2018-2019 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the waitlist ranked for A&M?

I think so, but we have no idea what the rank is and we prob won't ever find out. Ignorance is bliss :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think so, but we have no idea what the rank is and we prob won't ever find out. Ignorance is bliss :)
This is true. Just wanted to know if they were randomly picking or going down a list. However from our POV, since we dont know the ranking, it would seem random. :(

This is true. Just wanted to know if they were randomly picking or going down a list. However from our POV, since we dont know the ranking, it would seem random. :(
I think it is ranked, otherwise how would they know which student to accept? I've never heard of an unranked list before.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is ranked, otherwise how would they know which student to accept? I've never heard of an unranked list before.

An unranked list would just mean they re-review the entire waitlist pool any time there is an opening in the class to determine who would be the best fit, I guess.

An unranked list would just mean they re-review the entire waitlist pool any time there is an opening in the class to determine who would be the best fit, I guess.
oh I see. Wow that seems very inefficient. Some universities like Virginia indicate if the alternate list is ranked or not. I wish A&M did that too.

I feel like every school has a ranked waitlist. But they don't only look at the rank, they look at "fit" so they can craft a "diverse" class (balance for gender, race, majors, hobbies, etc.). That's what I imagine anyway

Can any current students give insight as to the differences between the 4 campuses, other than physical location? e.g. resources, advantages, disadvantages, ideal career goals for each campus

Sup fam,

Current M4 here at A&M - studying on the Dallas campus. On a pretty light rotation so let me know if you have any questions about the school/curriculum and such. Our class was the first to do the 18 month deal here.

Hi there, I'm an incoming M1, and I just received an email asking for my rank preferences for the campuses. I just wanted to know how you feel about the Dallas campus. Houston and Dallas are looking like my top choices right now after some research, and I just wanted some insight

Hey guys, I had a general question I haven't been able to find the answer to. So when I interviewed they told us that EnMed would be 1 year in BCS and then 3 years in Houston. However, since my interview date I know they changed this to all 4 years in Houston. Did they mention where the anatomy labs would take place? I imagine it can't be too difficult to get 5 cadavers and a space in the TMC for 25 M1s to do dissections, but still am a little anxious about this detail! Any thoughts would be very helpful. Gig 'em!

Hey guys, I had a general question I haven't been able to find the answer to. So when I interviewed they told us that EnMed would be 1 year in BCS and then 3 years in Houston. However, since my interview date I know they changed this to all 4 years in Houston. Did they mention where the anatomy labs would take place? I imagine it can't be too difficult to get 5 cadavers and a space in the TMC for 25 M1s to do dissections, but still am a little anxious about this detail! Any thoughts would be very helpful. Gig 'em!

When I interviewed, they said it would be in Methodist (one of their research / surgical practice labs)

M1 here. I haven't gone to my clinical campus yet, but I will share the factors that influenced my preference list. Feel free to ask me any questions.

1. Location - pretty obvious. Think about proximity to family, opportunities for your significant other, recreation, etc.

2. Cost of Living - this is pretty important to me and made me less interested in Dallas and Houston. Temple and Bryan are both very cheap.

3. Available electives - This website shows the electives available at each campus. Since I am interested in surgery, but not sure which field, I chose the campus with the most options for electives.

4. Residents - In Houston, Dallas, and Temple you will work under residents. In Bryan there are only residents in family medicine. There are pros and cons to working under residents vs directly with the attending. To me, the pros outweighed the cons.

5. Commute - you will spend considerably more time in your car if you go to Dallas or Houston.

6. AIM - Bryan/College Station is the only campus with the integrated core clerkships. I have heard that they, on average, score better on Step 2 because the material from each specialty stays fresh. I still can't decide if I think AIM is cool or not.

Keep in mind you are not guaranteed to get what you want. Each campus provides great training and people match into all specialties from all campuses. It really comes down to the effort you put in.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else experienced getting scholarships in little chunks? Wondering why it's being staggered out like this vs. just one offer. Maybe it is coming from different sources? Sorry in advance if this sounds obnoxious, I definitely am happy with any offer of monies, but just trying to make decisions on schools and finances are important for me.

Has anyone else experienced getting scholarships in little chunks? Wondering why it's being staggered out like this vs. just one offer. Maybe it is coming from different sources? Sorry in advance if this sounds obnoxious, I definitely am happy with any offer of monies, but just trying to make decisions on schools and finances are important for me.
Probably from different sources. Please try to contain your annoyance at being offered scholarships! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
M1 here. I haven't gone to my clinical campus yet, but I will share the factors that influenced my preference list. Feel free to ask me any questions.

1. Location - pretty obvious. Think about proximity to family, opportunities for your significant other, recreation, etc.

2. Cost of Living - this is pretty important to me and made me less interested in Dallas and Houston. Temple and Bryan are both very cheap.

3. Available electives - This website shows the electives available at each campus. Since I am interested in surgery, but not sure which field, I chose the campus with the most options for electives.

4. Residents - In Houston, Dallas, and Temple you will work under residents. In Bryan there are only residents in family medicine. There are pros and cons to working under residents vs directly with the attending. To me, the pros outweighed the cons.

5. Commute - you will spend considerably more time in your car if you go to Dallas or Houston.

6. AIM - Bryan/College Station is the only campus with the integrated core clerkships. I have heard that they, on average, score better on Step 2 because the material from each specialty stays fresh. I still can't decide if I think AIM is cool or not.

Keep in mind you are not guaranteed to get what you want. Each campus provides great training and people match into all specialties from all campuses. It really comes down to the effort you put in.

In your opinion what are the pros/cons of working under residents vs directly with the attending?

In your opinion what are the pros/cons of working under residents vs directly with the attending?

The main pro to working directly under an attending you will generally get to do more hands on work (ex. be first assist in surgery rather than just sitting in the corner). The main con is that you don't get to see how medicine works in a more academic setting.

The converse is true for the academic (i.e. under residents) training. You get to see the medical hierarchy and figure out your place in it. You may do a little less hands on.

In my mind the purpose of medical school is to prepare you, as much as possible, to become a resident. To that end, I think that working under residents and seeing medicine in an academic setting is valuable. There are lots of threads on this site that discuss these pros and cons further. For example this one (in which rural=under attending; urban=academic).

Like I said in my other post, in the end it comes down to the effort you put in. There will be students in academic settings who show interest, work hard, and are allowed to do cool stuff. There will be students in community settings that never gain their attending's trust, and never get to do much.

Keep in mind that A&M also lets you do non-core rotations at different campuses than your assigned one. For example, if you really like your OB/GYN days in Bryan, but aren't sure you would be happy in an OB/GYN residency you can do an elective in Houston, Dallas, or Temple so that you can see what the practice of OB/GYN looks like in an academic setting.

Keep in mind that A&M also lets you do non-core rotations at different campuses than your assigned one. For example, if you really like your OB/GYN days in Bryan, but aren't sure you would be happy in an OB/GYN residency you can do an elective in Houston, Dallas, or Temple so that you can see what the practice of OB/GYN looks like in an academic setting.

How easy is it to do a rotation at a campus that is not your assigned one? Is it as easy as submitting a form and booking an AirBNB, or is the process more lengthy?

OOS candidate
MCAT 514
Interviewed in August 2018
Have not heard from them
Called last week and was told that decisions are still being made
What does it mean?????????

How easy is it to do a rotation at a campus that is not your assigned one? Is it as easy as submitting a form and booking an AirBNB, or is the process more lengthy?

I’m a first year so I haven’t experienced it. But they make it sound easy.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! It was very helpful! Do you have any advice on what to include in our written statement to improve our chances of getting placed in our preferred location? I have heard that they work hard to keep families together, which is understandable and very wonderful! However, what if you are not married/engaged and do not have children or family at your preferred site? Should we focus more on what kind of medicine we want to pursue and how that specific site would be most beneficial to us?

I wrote about the research I wanted to pursue and my desire to be in an academic environment.

That makes sense! Thank you so much. Aside from the research opportunities at the Bryan campus through the HSC website, how can we look up the research opportunities offered at the other campuses? I’ve heard Houston has a ton of research opportunities (not sure about Dallas), but I wasn’t sure of where I could find that information.

Bryan has the best basic science research. The other sites all have clinical/translational research. Finding something you are interested in is just a matter of asking around. We didn’t submit our preference list until November so it was easier to figure that stuff out.

OOS candidate
MCAT 514
Interviewed in August 2018
Have not heard from them
Called last week and was told that decisions are still being made
What does it mean?????????
did you get an email about the alternate list?

What are the chances that someone can show us the 2019 match list?

What are the chances that someone can show us the 2019 match list?
Put this thread on your watched threads list -MD & DO - 2019 Match Lists

It takes most schools a bit before they publish the list, I'm watching out for TX schools but Baylor is the only one that jumped out there with their list today.

Switching campuses for rotations is MUCH harder than just getting an elective on a different campus. You do 6 core rotations during your second/third year: OBGYN, Peds, Surgery, IMED, Psych, Family. Typically, you do your rotations on your home campus. The only way that you would be able to do an actual core rotation at a different campus is if you find a person on the campus you want to go to to switch. So, for example, if you are in Temple but want to do Surgery in Dallas, you would have to find someone from Dallas who wants to do their Surgery rotation in Temple, and you would be able to switch (most of the time). Electives are MUCH easier to do. Typically, the students on their home campus get first "dibs" on elective spots and then it opens up to the other campuses. But even then, the docs and coordinators are very accommodating and will make spots for you if you just email them. If you don't get an "official" elective spot, the most work you'd have to do is email and fill out a form for a SIE (Student Initiated Elective). Overall the process is very simple.

Last edited:
Has anybody on the waitlist heard anything yet?

Nothing yet. Though I anticipate April movement....was recommended to submit my updates in March with anticipation of that

Would submitting an update as someone on the waitlist in the next week be too late?

Would submitting an update as someone on the waitlist in the next week be too late?

Nah, but prob no later than this week. Look on 2017-18 thread to see when waitlist movement began.

For those that have been accepted into the ENMED program, do you guys have any idea how many are in-state/out-of-state?

For those that have been accepted into the ENMED program, do you guys have any idea how many are in-state/out-of-state?

There are at least 3-4 out of state people in the EnMed groupme so far.

and do you know what the total number of out of state people they accept for EnMed is? was it 20?
The entire enMed class is 25, the regular class is 75 (or 100), making the whole tamu class either 100 or 125 people. They can only take ten pct out of state which means 10-12 people total. Some of those will be in the regular class. Thus enMed, at most, could only have like 8 oos ppl max. My logic may be flawed though

Does anyone know how many people are placed on the waitlist and how many usually get an offer after this?

The entire enMed class is 25, the regular class is 75 (or 100), making the whole tamu class either 100 or 125 people. They can only take ten pct out of state which means 10-12 people total. Some of those will be in the regular class. Thus enMed, at most, could only have like 8 oos ppl max. My logic may be flawed though

I remember during interview day that they were trying to reserve as many of the out of state seats for ENMED as possible, so i wouldn't be surprised if there are more than 10 out of state in ENMED when the class is finalized and all.

Based on info from this years' thread and last year's thread, only a select number are placed on the waitlist. MSAR puts that number at about ~100. The MSAR also claims about 40-50 were accepted off of the waitlist, but that number was reported when A&M had a larger class size. The numbers are likely to be different this cycle.

Talked to an A&M rep and they told me 10% of the class comes off the waitlist typically and they expect between 10-15 offers

Talked to an A&M rep and they told me 10% of the class comes off the waitlist typically and they expect between 10-15 offers
Dang.. That is upsetting. Sounded a lot better from the MSAR saying 40-50 came off.

Dang.. That is upsetting. Sounded a lot better from the MSAR saying 40-50 came off.
I'm hoping that he actually meant 10-15 matriculated and not total offers, he was kind of vague on details

In our alternate list email it said we had until June 1st before we’d be removed from the waitlist if we had an acceptance elsewhere... but tmdsas says May 15. Does anybody know?

I’m worried because I noticed not much movement happened before May 15 in prior years.

In our alternate list email it said we had until June 1st before we’d be removed from the waitlist if we had an acceptance elsewhere... but tmdsas says May 15. Does anybody know?

I’m worried because I noticed not much movement happened before May 15 in prior years.
This year the TMDSAS date, by which those with a Texas acceptance already may not be offered other Texas spots, is May 15. This means after May 15 new offers only go to OOS applicants or Texans with no prior offers.