2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @hec0201 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University Secondary Essay Prompts

Regular MD:
(all are 1550 characters except for #4 is 2050)
Question 1 - What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?

Question 2 - Tell us about a time you went into a situation completely unprepared.

Question 3 - Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience.

Question 4 - In 1990, Salovey and Mayer defined emotional intelligence (EI) as “the subset of social intelligence that involves the ability to monitor one’s own and others’ feelings and emotions, to discriminate among them and to use this information to guide one’s thinking and actions”. The components of EI include self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, and social skills. Briefly describe one example of a time you harnessed your EI to resolve a difficult situation, AND one example of a time your failure to use your EI compounded a difficult situation. What did you learn about yourself in each of these situations?

Question 5 - Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?

Question 6 - Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you would bring to OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU's definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service.

Question 7 - Are there any additional ties to the state of Oregon you wish to share? If so, use the space below. Please note that this does not factor toward your consideration as an Oregon resident or Oregon Heritage.

Question 8 - We know that many of our applicants in the OHSU UME Program may have familial relationships with individuals who are OHSU faculty, residents, staff, or current students who serve as evaluators in our admissions process. We have added this question in hopes to prevent perceived or actual conflicts of interest that can occur when an applicant has a family member (or someone with a similar close personal relationship) they may encounter through the admissions process. If you have any such connections, please list those individuals’ names and departments below.

Other:
Using the fields below, please provide a brief chronological account of your major activities and employment, including volunteer and summer activities, for the five years immediately preceding your proposed entry to medical school. This should include present and projected activities to the point of matriculation to medical school. Please do not include activities that ended prior to or during high school. Note: You are limited to 20 entries in this section.

Adversity "Checklist"
with optional elaboration

Specific to MD-MPH applicants:
MPH (4000 characters):
The School of Medicine requires a statement of purpose for admission to the MD-MPH Combined Degree Program. The MD-MPH Combined Degree program offers two MPH concentrations, 1) Epidemiology and 2) Health Management and Policy.

Please explain:

1) Why you are applying for the combined MD-MPH Degree Program at OHSU?

2) Your interest in EITHER the Epidemiology or the Health Management and Policy concentration; and,

3) How you plan to use your training in medicine and public health training in your career.

Please submit your statement using the text area provided below. This cannot exceed the 4000 character limit. No particular formatting or spacing is required.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Oregon Health & Sciences University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS Secondary Received for MD/MPH

Reactions: 1 user
Sure!
Regular MD: (all are 1550 characters except for #4 is 2050)
Question 1 - What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?
Question 2 - Tell us about a time you went into a situation completely unprepared.
Question 3 - Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience.
Question 4 - In 1990, Salovey and Mayer defined emotional intelligence (EI) as “the subset of social intelligence that involves the ability to monitor one’s own and others’ feelings and emotions, to discriminate among them and to use this information to guide one’s thinking and actions”. The components of EI include self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, and social skills. Briefly describe one example of a time you harnessed your EI to resolve a difficult situation, AND one example of a time your failure to use your EI compounded a difficult situation. What did you learn about yourself in each of these situations?
Question 5 - Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?
Question 6 - Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you would bring to OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU's definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service.
Question 7 - Are there any additional ties to the state of Oregon you wish to share? If so, use the space below. Please note that this does not factor toward your consideration as an Oregon resident or Oregon Heritage.
Question 8 - We know that many of our applicants in the OHSU UME Program may have familial relationships with individuals who are OHSU faculty, residents, staff, or current students who serve as evaluators in our admissions process. We have added this question in hopes to prevent perceived or actual conflicts of interest that can occur when an applicant has a family member (or someone with a similar close personal relationship) they may encounter through the admissions process. If you have any such connections, please list those individuals’ names and departments below.

Other:
Using the fields below, please provide a brief chronological account of your major activities and employment, including volunteer and summer activities, for the five years immediately preceding your proposed entry to medical school. This should include present and projected activities to the point of matriculation to medical school. Please do not include activities that ended prior to or during high school. Note: You are limited to 20 entries in this section.

Adversity "Checklist" with optional elaboration

MPH (4000 characters):
The School of Medicine requires a statement of purpose for admission to the MD-MPH Combined Degree Program. The MD-MPH Combined Degree program offers two MPH concentrations, 1) Epidemiology and 2) Health Management and Policy.

Please explain:

1) Why you are applying for the combined MD-MPH Degree Program at OHSU;

2) Your interest in EITHER the Epidemiology or the Health Management and Policy concentration; and,

3) How you plan to use your training in medicine and public health training in your career.

Please submit your statement using the text area provided below. This cannot exceed the 4000 character limit. No particular formatting or spacing is required.

@wysdoc

Also MD/MPH but IS (still stuck in the verification queue ugh), could you post the prompts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry which one is the 2050 one? Also thank you for sharing you're an angel
no problem! Only number 4 is 2050 characters ( Salovey and Mayer) for the regular MD! Also, the work experience one fyi is like a drop down thing!

As a heads up, for MPH we need at least 1 MPH specific letter in addition to other ones!

no problem! Only number 4 is 2050 characters ( Salovey and Mayer) for the regular MD! Also, the work experience one fyi is like a drop down thing!

As a heads up, for MPH we need at least 1 MPH specific letter in addition to other ones!
Super excited about the new Health Management and Policy concentration! Still nothing up on the OHSU-PSU SPH website about the dual program, and still waiting to get through the verification queue myself... but last year they only offered dual MD/MPH in Epi, so this is good to be aware of!

Super excited about the new Health Management and Policy concentration! Still nothing up on the OHSU-PSU SPH website about the dual program, and still waiting to get through the verification queue myself... but last year they only offered dual MD/MPH in Epi, so this is good to be aware of!

I’m also excited about the new concentration! Planning on taking about that track rather than Epi!

Anyone having problems with their portal? It keeps telling me my session timed out and I need to log back in again (even though I've only been on the site 10 seconds).

Reactions: 1 users
hi all, secondary question. if you are a legal resident in Oregon and meet some of the Oregon Heritage info did you also fill out that?

Can I skip question #7 if I am an Oregon resident?

Can I skip question #7 if I am an Oregon resident?
Also curious about this. I was thinking about elaborating why having a medical education in Oregon is meaningful to me, but I am not sure if this is appropriate for this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also curious about this. I was thinking about elaborating why having a medical education in Oregon is meaningful to me, but I am not sure if this is appropriate for this question.
I feel like that wouldn't be the right place to talk about why having a medical education in Oregon is meaningful to you, although, I may be wrong. The question seems heavily weighted towards OOS people to answer..

Does the secondary app keep randomly logging them out while they're working on it? I keep having the work I'm doing disappear...

Has any MSTP applicant received theirs? I can't think why I would be screened, but still have not received anything, despite being verified 6/24. Not sure if it will just take longer for us.

Does the secondary app keep randomly logging them out while they're working on it? I keep having the work I'm doing disappear...
Yes this secondary portal wouldn't stay logged in long enough for me to even copy and paste all 8 essay questions

Yes this secondary portal wouldn't stay logged in long enough for me to even copy and paste all 8 essay questions
The true secondary is getting it filled out without dropping your composure haha

try it on chrome and on your home's wifi. I tried Safari and other internet sources but it seemed to kick me out in 5 seconds.

Anyone else not received a secondary yet, or know what the screening criteria are? MD/MPH, OOS applicant here

Anyone else not received a secondary yet, or know what the screening criteria are? MD/MPH, OOS applicant here
verification date? They take more time than other schools so I'd say hold tight for now

A
Same, and still haven't received anything. Friend with same stats, same verification date etc. already received a secondary, so I'm confused
I don’t think it’s done in order of receiving the apps. Do you like IS or at least west coast/ north west?

A

I don’t think it’s done in order of receiving the apps. Do you like IS or at least west coast/ north west?

Also OOS, but Utah so pretty close. Also very much so fit the patient pop (goal of doing LGBTQ+ and homeless health) . I’m doing MD/MPH, fwiw?

Same, and still haven't received anything. Friend with same stats, same verification date etc. already received a secondary, so I'm confused

Do you think we should email them? We’re around the 6 week mark that they say is the max for how long it takes to send out a secondary. Alternatively, if your friend can send you the link for the portal, maybe do “forgot password” and see if the email somehow got filtered out? (And share the link with me if so please!)

Do you think we should email them? We’re around the 6 week mark that they say is the max for how long it takes to send out a secondary. Alternatively, if your friend can send you the link for the portal, maybe do “forgot password” and see if the email somehow got filtered out? (And share the link with me if so please!)
I may try and do the forget password thing if I can get the link lol. Just weird because I definitely meet their screening criteria…?

I may try and do the forget password thing if I can get the link lol. Just weird because I definitely meet their screening criteria…?

Okay so I emailed them and they said they sent the email 07/07 but that it must have been sent to my junk folder (which I know for sure it isn’t there, I have checked my junk folder every day this cycle, I reckon there was some sort of broader gmail issue on my end that caused me to not be able to see it). Forewarning that they said there was a deadline of 08/04 for that secondary. Since I emailed them, they extended the deadline to the end of this month and sent me a link to the secondary. I’d send then an email ASAP!

Okay so I emailed them and they said they sent the email 07/07 but that it must have been sent to my junk folder (which I know for sure it isn’t there, I have checked my junk folder every day this cycle, I reckon there was some sort of broader gmail issue on my end that caused me to not be able to see it). Forewarning that they said there was a deadline of 08/04 for that secondary. Since I emailed them, they extended the deadline to the end of this month and sent me a link to the secondary. I’d send then an email ASAP!
What did you say in your email to them?

What did you say in your email to them?

They were super nice and understanding! I essentially said that I waited the 6 weeks from transmission date that the website said it may take and asked if I had missed a secondary link, but understood if I was filtered out for any reason. Out of curiosity, we’re you using gmail too? I wonder if there’s some funky setting that caused it

They were super nice and understanding! I essentially said that I waited the 6 weeks from transmission date that the website said it may take and asked if I had missed a secondary link, but understood if I was filtered out for any reason. Out of curiosity, we’re you using gmail too? I wonder if there’s some funky setting that caused it
Yep, using gmail. Just sent them an email and their automated response went directly to spam, so I wouldn't be surprised if the secondary had too. But I had been checking each day in my spam/junk like you said. Really hoping that I didn't miss the deadline.

They just got back to me literally saying the same, that it was sent 7/7 with an 8/4 deadline. This is wild

Yep, using gmail. Just sent them an email and their automated response went directly to spam, so I wouldn't be surprised if the secondary had too. But I had been checking each day in my spam/junk like you said. Really hoping that I didn't miss the deadline.
Try checking the subfolder calked “promotions” in Gmail.

Try checking the subfolder called “promotions” in Gmail.

Try checking the subfolder called “promotions” in Gmail.

Yeah it’s not in there either :/. I checked all folders and junk, not in any of them, but he forwarded email came straight to inbox? Odd, but I’m glad we got it sorted out!

Does anyone know how many seats there are for the MD/MPH class at OHSU?

Is anyone having trouble with this secondary? Lol the prompts are so different from what I’ve written in my other 20 apps. My deadline is due tomorrow and I’m stressing

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone having trouble with this secondary? Lol the prompts are so different from what I’ve written in my other 20 apps. My deadline is due tomorrow and I’m stressing
My deadline is coming up fast. They don’t have an explicit essay for academic struggles so I’ll be weaving that into one prompt.

If I’m withdrawing my app do I simply just not submit the secondary?

The prompts are a little more difficult. You got this though!!

If I’m withdrawing my app do I simply just not submit the secondary?
After you withdraw your app, I would suggest emailing admissions just to let them know! A simple email should suffice :)

Just realized that MD/PhD secondary prompts were never posted. All 1500 characters max. [In addition to MD essays.]

"
What specifically the OHSU MD/PhD program interests you?

Please list 3-5 faculty members at OHSU whose research interests you. Please add a very brief statement for each faculty member explaining why. If possible, your research interview will be pulled from this list of faculty. Please disclose if you have worked with or are associated with any faculty members listed.

Thinking about one of your research projects, how could the results affect the way we diagnose and treat patients? If your research is non-biomedical, describe how it advances scientific knowledge.

Please list publications that have been published or submitted & pending. Please note your authorship and a brief description of your contribution to each publication. If possible, please provide a link to your direct online bibliography in pubmed or other online source. Do not list anything that is in the process of being written. Write N/A if nothing has been submitted or published.

Please list successful grants, poster presentation, or invited speaking engagements. Write N/A if you nothing has been awarded or presented.

Please review graduate programs available to OHSU MD/PhD students and list the graduate program(s) at OHSU that you are most interested in. Review OHSU MD/PhD graduate programs here:
"

(Copy and pasted exactly FYI, missing words and all.)