2017-2018 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey thanks for sharing about your experience! Do you know anyone that has gone through the Houston or Dallas tracks? I'd like to get some anecdotes on what it's like rotating at BUMC or Houston Methodist.

I second this question about these two tracks. I loved my interview here and have no clue how I am going to rank A&M and Dell. Just gonna hope it comes to me in the night at this point.

Hey, I really wish I could I share some anecdotes with you. Being in the last year of split campuses, a lot of us were in Temple for all four years. I do know people that I am not particularly close with have had a great time. I wish I could share more. We have student ambassadors in each class. I would recommend contacting the admissions committee to see if they could put you in contact with someone who completed their clinical years at BUMC/Methodist

Members don't see this ad.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday! Does anyone know if there are any other steps to accept your pre-match offer aside from just filling out the student registration, core residency questions, and acknowledgement forms? Just worried since I completed those the day after I received my pre-match offer and have had no word from them since regarding what to do after.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday! Does anyone know if there are any other steps to accept your pre-match offer aside from just filling out the student registration, core residency questions, and acknowledgement forms? Just worried since I completed those the day after I received my pre-match offer and have had no word from them since regarding what to do after.
For now that's it, but you still have to turn in your rank list in January. Rank everywhere you have interviewed/and not been rejected, then you will be done and get your match on Feb 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For now that's it, but you still have to turn in your rank list in January. Rank everywhere you have interviewed/and not been rejected, then you will be done and get your match on Feb 1.

Great, thank you!

Also, tyvm for helping us Texas students out with med school questions. It makes a sometimes confusing process much more bearable and a little more transparent :)

Reactions: 1 user
No interview from here :(

TMDSAS II's are done for this cycle right?

I don't think all the actual interview dates have passed for all the schools (only one that I know for sure is done is Long SOM, though I think someone said A&M finished this week too). The schools *have* likely filled all their dates, though. That said, there's always the possibility of interview spots opening up closer to the dates themselves due to people withdrawing.

I don't think all the actual interview dates have passed for all the schools (only one that I know for sure is done is Long SOM, though I think someone said A&M finished this week too). The schools *have* likely filled all their dates, though. That said, there's always the possibility of interview spots opening up closer to the dates themselves due to people withdrawing.
For sure, but being realistic I think the chances of getting those II are very slim since there's prolly not a whole lot gonna be handed out in January right? I think TT Lubbock is also done, cause the office told me that they interview till 12/15 :/

Can confirm the last interview day for A&M was 12/14

Reactions: 2 users
is there a class page for accepted students for A&M?

When are we supposed to submit official transcripts to TMDSAS- is it one after this fall semester and then one after the spring 2018 semester?

When are we supposed to submit official transcripts to TMDSAS- is it one after this fall semester and then one after the spring 2018 semester?
Send one to TMDSAS when available after fall semester, then send your final transcript to the school where you will attend.

Just received a denial via email. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a denial via email. Good luck everyone!

+1 to release of applicants e-mail - though the lack of II with it already being the end of interview season made it pretty clear that this was coming lol

Not sure how to rank A&M with Long SOM for match. Help would be appreciated!

Has anyone that prematched to A&M received a scholarship?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey! Does anyone know if there's Facebook group for c/o 2022? Or is there any service that could help out with finding another med student to live with? I'm pretty much set on attending TAMHSC now and it would be cool to live with another MS1.

Hey! Does anyone know if there's Facebook group for c/o 2022? Or is there any service that could help out with finding another med student to live with? I'm pretty much set on attending TAMHSC now and it would be cool to live with another MS1.

I think most of that stuff will be happening after the match. Sit tight for a week and you’ll have a lot more people looking to set up housing

I was curious if anyone had insight on the Houston track? I have met students from Temple who love it there and have heard good things about the Dallas campus. However, I was hoping to hear more about the Houston campus from any students on that track.

I was curious if anyone had insight on the Houston track? I have met students from Temple who love it there and have heard good things about the Dallas campus. However, I was hoping to hear more about the Houston campus from any students on that track.

What have you heard about the Dallas track? That's probably my #1 right now, but information is hard to come by.

Feel free to DM me/post here if you have questions, I'm an M1 on the Houston track with plenty of friend's who are currently rotating there now.

If any of you have other questions feel free to ask, I'm procrastinating studying for my neuro exam :p

Feel free to DM me/post here if you have questions, I'm an M1 on the Houston track with plenty of friend's who are currently rotating there now.

If any of you have other questions feel free to ask, I'm procrastinating studying for my neuro exam :p

I am interested in the Houston track too. Does getting this location solely depend on your reasons or does pre-matching or when you interviewed play a role in increasing your chances? Also, what have you heard/know about the Houston experience?

I'm a current student, and wanted to provide some recent information for those applying to A&M. Per several recent meetings with Dean Byington, our Round Rock track is ON HOLD due to the end of our relationship with Seton in the Austin area. For now, NO incoming students for the c/o 2022 will be placed on that track! Most M1s (2021) I know on that track have little hope about actually making it there, and are trying to switch to other campuses. I thought this new development would be of interest to the applicants here. It affects UTMB too.

I am interested in the Houston track too. Does getting this location solely depend on your reasons or does pre-matching or when you interviewed play a role in increasing your chances? Also, what have you heard/know about the Houston experience?

Prematching or interview date didn't affect campus selection for us. Everyone was thrown in together for the committee (except waitlisters), so it was only based on your list and reasons. However, the dean said recently that the incoming students will NOT be ranking their campuses right after match this year, as done previously. Maybe they're changing the process or maybe just delaying it due to current uncertainty.

@ anyone, feel free PM me with your questions on this school. Happy to be as frank and honest as you want about it.

Reactions: 3 users
Per several recent meetings with Dean Byington, our Round Rock track is ON HOLD due to the end of our relationship with Seton in the Austin area. For now, NO incoming students for the c/o 2022 will be placed on that track! Most M1s (2021) I know on that track have little hope about actually making it there, and are trying to switch to other campuses. I thought this new development would be of interest to the applicants here. It affects UTMB too.

I do not recall this info being relayed to us during my interview in August, and it would have been helpful to know prior to January 19 (TMDSAS' last day of rank).

TBH, that just makes me SMH.

Reactions: 4 users
I do not recall this info being relayed to us during my interview in August, and it would have been helpful to know prior to January 19 (TMDSAS' last day of rank).

RR track peeps were only made aware of some of this 2 weeks ago. At that time the M1s on that track were told they would have to stay in BCS for an extra semester as a precaution while things were worked out. An update meeting with the full details (including no more students placed there for now) only occurred yesterday. It was sudden.

RR track peeps were only made aware of some of this 2 weeks ago. At that time the M1s on that track were told they would have to stay in BCS for an extra semester as a precaution while things were worked out. An update meeting with the full details (including no more students placed there for now) only occurred yesterday. It was sudden.

I see. Thanks for posting then.

If only this was posted prior to January 19, then those who ranked A&M #1 thinking the RR track was an option would have made a more informed ranking decision.

Yeah I specifically asked my interviewer about this bc I figured there would be changes with the introduction of Dell.

I see. Thanks for posting then.

If only this was posted prior to January 19, then those who ranked A&M #1 thinking the RR track was an option would have made a more informed ranking decision.

I certainly get your point but they do make it clear in the interview that you are not promised any one campus.

I certainly get your point but they do make it clear in the interview that you are not promised any one campus.
They also repeatedly mention how common it is to get your first choice. It should have been disclosed during the interviews or at least before rankings were due.

Last edited:
They also repeatedly mention how common it is to get your first choice. It should have been disclosed during the interviews or at least before rankings were due.

Yup. The issue is that now the option (promise or no promise) is no longer available. If the RR students were told two weeks ago, that means A&M should have done the appropriate thing and send out emails before January 19 informing those who interviewed about it.

A&M needs to take a cue from Dr. Kellaway at Long who sent out updated emails after prematch to inform those they interviewed about substantive issues.

If you match here and were hoping for the RR track, PLEASE make this known to admissions and the administration.

Yup. The issue is that now the option (promise or no promise) is no longer available. If the RR students were told two weeks ago, that means A&M should have done the appropriate thing and send out emails before January 19 informing those who interviewed about it.

A&M needs to take a cue from Dr. Kellaway at Long who sent out updated emails after prematch to inform those they interviewed about substantive issues.

Yep. Ranked them high. Not because of the RR track, but if that track is potentially going away, it will certainly impact the other campuses, since those folks have to go somewhere. So still would have been good to know regardless.

I agree, really unfortunate administration was not clear to prospective students. This should not have been this last minute of a surprise since 1) they know Dell is there 2) there were trying to implement a new health systems track at RR (which some may have chosen the school for).

I agree, really unfortunate administration was not clear to prospective students. This should not have been this last minute of a surprise since 1) they know Dell is there 2) there were trying to implement a new health systems track at RR (which some may have chosen the school for).

1. A&M just signed a new contract with Seton for rotations, despite Dell. Seton decided to turn around and break it. Same deal for UTMB.

2. HSS is being expanded to BCS.

+1

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys, I ended up not matching to TAMU on Match Day. Does this mean I am waitlisted? I haven't received any further communication from TAMU and was thinking of sending in a letter of intent.

Hey guys, I ended up not matching to TAMU on Match Day. Does this mean I am waitlisted? I haven't received any further communication from TAMU and was thinking of sending in a letter of intent.

You'll receive an email about that soon. A lot are put on the wait list, but not all. Do not send anything until you have received word; they will tell you what they accept.

Is there a FB page for the incoming class?

Same. My email "invites you to take a place on its Alternate List" and asked me to fill out a form in order to accept the slot.

I received a post-II rejection saying I was not offered a spot on the alternate list. However, I would've denied a spot on the list anyways so I guess it all works out. Best of luck to you all!

I received a post-II rejection saying I was not offered a spot on the alternate list. However, I would've denied a spot on the list anyways so I guess it all works out. Best of luck to you all!

Thanks for sharing, I was wondering if they were putting everyone on the list who didn't match.

Just placed on the alternate list- does anyone know if we can call and find out where on the list we are?

Just placed on the alternate list- does anyone know if we can call and find out where on the list we are?
they won't give out "place on the WL" info at any of the Texas schools :shrug:
WL movement can happen any time between now and the first day of orientation summer 2018.