2017-2018 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know some people who get off wait lists on the very last day of the cycle (May 31st?). It's not over until then, so don't fret.

Members don't see this ad.

I know some people who get off wait lists on the very last day of the cycle (May 31st?). It's not over until then, so don't fret.

When does the majority of movement occur? I get that it CAN happen anytime but I'm not planning on waiting until may or June and then having to scramble for housing with very limited options etc. Just wondering if there is any amount of significant movement throughout march and April?

I feel like it’s hard to gauge how fast things move as a student. I know I had a friend find out in May and another one I feel like was in early June (only because I was doing a summer program at the school already when we heard from them)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When does the majority of movement occur? I get that it CAN happen anytime but I'm not planning on waiting until may or June and then having to scramble for housing with very limited options etc. Just wondering if there is any amount of significant movement throughout march and April?

There is, but this is the period when school steal from each other. After June 1st is when schools will send invites with greater volume to alternates who do not already hold an acceptance. Now, I don't know which of these situations you're in, and can understand that the idea of scrambling is not a fun one, but for those without an acceptance an invitation to go to medical school is an invitation to go to medical school, whether it's timely or not.

I would count on the majority of the movement to occur later rather than earlier. When I was a waitlister, I remember radio silence for a couple of months, which was painful as hell. Just letting y'all know what to expect.

There is, but this is the period when school steal from each other. After June 1st is when schools will send invites with greater volume to alternates who do not already hold an acceptance. Now, I don't know which of these situations you're in, and can understand that the idea of scrambling is not a fun one, but for those without an acceptance an invitation to go to medical school is an invitation to go to medical school, whether it's timely or not.

I would count on the majority of the movement to occur later rather than earlier. When I was a waitlister, I remember radio silence for a couple of months, which was painful as hell. Just letting y'all know what to expect.
Another reason the WL action happens later is that OOS applicants (those who applied to more AMCAS schools especially) are allowed to hold on to multiple acceptance offers until April 30. When they are required to choose one and give up all other offers, one of the offers they might release is an OOS spot at a Texas school.
In Texas this narrowing-down point happens sooner, at Match Day Feb 1. Since there is still jockeying for position occurring the rest of the spring months, as a Texan might get a WL offer from a more favored school and give up their Match position, the WL movement happens at a trickle the whole time.

Thanks. I am fortunate enough to have an acceptance but would jump at the chance to go to A&M in a heartbeat so we'll see how it goes.

For those of us on the WL who don't have significant new grades or activities that aren't already on our apps: would you recommend we write a LOI? A one page letter is one of the 3 categories of updates they ask for in the WL email but it seems like they mostly want new activities and not necessarily anything else.

Found the FB page for the class! Its called Texas A&M College of Medicine Class of 2022 and you should be able to just search for it

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks. I am fortunate enough to have an acceptance but would jump at the chance to go to A&M in a heartbeat so we'll see how it goes.

For those of us on the WL who don't have significant new grades or activities that aren't already on our apps: would you recommend we write a LOI? A one page letter is one of the 3 categories of updates they ask for in the WL email but it seems like they mostly want new activities and not necessarily anything else.

Perfectly acceptable, but that letter should be framed from a standpoint of supplementing your application, with the intent part a concluding paragraph.

Anyone know when we have to report for duty? Trying to book my traveling for the summer. I know A&M starts insanely early...

Anyone know when we have to report for duty? Trying to book my traveling for the summer. I know A&M starts insanely early...
Here it says foundations start July 23, but that is for foundations. We do a clinical skills boot camp the week before and we also have orientation, so I would give yourself 1-2 weeks time before July 23rd. Also depends if you want to start med camp. I don't know when that starts.

Attachments

• calendar1819u.docx
    38.4 KB · Views: 83
Here it says foundations start July 23, but that is for foundations. We do a clinical skills boot camp the week before and we also have orientation, so I would give yourself 1-2 weeks time before July 23rd. Also depends if you want to start med camp. I don't know when that starts.
Wow glad I saw this. I just assumed our start day was July 23.
EDIT: Do you know where we can find information regarding the boot camp?

Also I just got an email about campus selection. It is being delayed!

Last edited:
Does somebody know if you are not on the alternate list, when does the rejection letter come?

Has anyone called the admissions office and found out anything about the alternate list? I plan on calling myself sometime this week

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone called the admissions office and found out anything about the alternate list? I plan on calling myself sometime this week

In regards to what? If you're on it, you've been notified by now. They won't tell you anything else if that is what you're asking. Don't plan on finding out how many people are on it, where you rank, or when you can expect to know anything.

In regards to what? If you're on it, you've been notified by now. They won't tell you anything else if that is what you're asking. Don't plan on finding out how many people are on it, where you rank, or when you can expect to know anything.
So if you're not, is that an automatic rejection?

Yeah if you haven't heard by now consider it a no.

Oh, I guess I meant information about the alternate list, like you said about how many people are on it and how many they expect to accept from the list. I am on the alternate list

Oh, I guess I meant information about the alternate list, like you said about how many people are on it and how many they expect to accept from the list. I am on the alternate list

They won't give you this information. At least, they didn't when I applied. I tried.

Does anyone have any information on med camp? How long it lasts/what it is/around when it starts? thank you!

Does anyone have any information on med camp? How long it lasts/what it is/around when it starts? thank you!

In my entrance year, it was two weeks in June which was composed of the first tests material at an accelerated rate, so essentially chest anatomy with lab, some basic histology, and basic cell physiology. You would take a mock test at the end. Otherwise lots of hanging out with a small group of fellow classmates. It seemed like they came in pretty tight knit. All in all, a good way to make friends and get exposed to the material if you're worried about adjusting.

In my entrance year, it was two weeks in June which was composed of the first tests material at an accelerated rate, so essentially chest anatomy with lab, some basic histology, and basic cell physiology. You would take a mock test at the end. Otherwise lots of hanging out with a small group of fellow classmates. It seemed like they came in pretty tight knit. All in all, a good way to make friends and get exposed to the material if you're worried about adjusting.
This past year it was 4 weeks long. We had 2 tests.

The COM admission folks told me that med camp would be 7/11 - 7/19, orientation begins 7/23, and classes begin 7/30. This information, per admissions, is subject to change. Also, we should all receive a packet with firm information in April.

** This is all based on a five-minute phone convo... use it as you wish!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In other words, Med camp is Med camp, and Med camp does what Med camp wants.

Last year, med camp had a booth at the second look day. I’d wait till then to get better info on it, since the program organizers will be there.

Current students, which campus would you recommend for someone interested in surgery? I know this may be irrelevant with the round rock campus being gone or whatever happened, but I heard that for someone interested in surg Round Rock would have been the worst because its small and mostly private practice

any help would be much appreciated! thank ya sdn frands

Current students, which campus would you recommend for someone interested in surgery? I know this may be irrelevant with the round rock campus being gone or whatever happened, but I heard that for someone interested in surg Round Rock would have been the worst because its small and mostly private practice

any help would be much appreciated! thank ya sdn frands

There's lots of differing opinions on that. Round Rock, while it is small and private practice like you said, actually held a certain advantage for students interested in surgery because of the lack of residents present, meaning the student was usually first assist and could really hone their surgical skills. Other locations like Temple and Dallas seem to be popular among the surgery crowd as well. Temple has plenty of academic faculty in all fields, so it's quite easy to get hooked up with research and find letter writers/ advisors. Dallas has a lot of operative volume, but is still private practice staffed. Houston is an unknown entity to me.

Overall, I would say that Temple and Dallas are your best bet, the only real difference between them being where you want to live. Of course there's more to it than that, but most of these are easily surmountable.

Did anyone see that Tamhsc is "unranked" in the latest Usnews report rankings? Anyone know what's up with that?

I could be wrong but I believe if a school chooses not to disclose certain info to us news then they show up as unranked.

I could be wrong but I believe if a school chooses not to disclose certain info to us news then they show up as unranked.
Yeah I think you're right. I wonder why the school pulled itself out of the rankings?

Have any waitlisted people heard back yet? Does anyone have any historical data on how likely it is to get off A&M's waitlist? It is around the time to start looking for housing, but I don't want to sign a lease for another school if there is still a good chance of getting off A&M's waitlist.

Have any waitlisted people heard back yet? Does anyone have any historical data on how likely it is to get off A&M's waitlist? It is around the time to start looking for housing, but I don't want to sign a lease for another school if there is still a good chance of getting off A&M's waitlist.

Typically good movement, but there's no real knowing how likely you as an individual is to get a spot. Most movement happens after late April in my experience.

How strict is A&M with your grades between the time you apply and the matriculation date? I heard that some medical schools only require that you get C's and higher, while A&M requires B's and up. Does A&M ever rescind an acceptance if a student gets a C in a course before they matriculate?
One of the admissions staff members told me that I just needed to pass my last class before matriculation.

One of the admissions staff members told me that I just needed to pass my last class before matriculation.
The forms I signed after prematching indicated B’s or higher

How strict is A&M with your grades between the time you apply and the matriculation date? I heard that some medical schools only require that you get C's and higher, while A&M requires B's and up. Does A&M ever rescind an acceptance if a student gets a C in a course before they matriculate?
Specifically from the Acceptance Acknowledgement Form:

"Maintaining high levels of academic performance (A's and B's) in all courses undertaken between the date of application and matriculation, and completing any and all degrees."

Are there any current students that have experience/know anyone that deferred their matriculation?

I just called the office of admissions and was told that the last day that they would potentially send offers to people off the alternate list is April 30th. That doesn't make much sense to me because I know most Texas schools have a lot of waitlist movement in May. When I asked for clarification I was basically told that April 30th was the last day students had to defer or withdraw. Can anyone who has already been accepted confirm if that's true?

I just called the office of admissions and was told that the last day that they would potentially send offers to people off the alternate list is April 30th. That doesn't make much sense to me because I know most Texas schools have a lot of waitlist movement in May. When I asked for clarification I was basically told that April 30th was the last day students had to defer or withdraw. Can anyone who has already been accepted confirm if that's true?

I think you may have misunderstood the response, or that the person you spoke to may have misunderstood your question. I would imagine most waitlist offers would come after April 30th.

I think you may have misunderstood the response, or that the person you spoke to may have misunderstood your question. I would imagine most waitlist offers would come after April 30th.

Same here. I directly asked them "so if I'm on the alternate list and I haven't heard back by the end of the day April 30th, I have been rejected" and they said yes.

Same here. I directly asked them "so if I'm on the alternate list and I haven't heard back by the end of the day April 30th, I have been rejected" and they said yes.

Maybe @Nysor_bttw could provide some clarification

My heart just sank:/ I hope this isn’t true

My heart just sank:/ I hope this isn’t true

Me too. If it is true, it probably has to do with this whole round rock situation. The only sign of hope that I see is that last year they said they wouldn't take anyone off the alternate list, but went on to accept people ~may 23 when the budget came through or something like that. Fingers crossed.

From last years TAMHSC Alternate List Q&A website (2017 Alternate List Q&A):
"The alternate list will regularly change in size over the designated timeframe to consider alternates (Feb. 1 – June 1)"

It seems odd that they would change the timeframe without informing the alternates?

Reactions: 1 users
Since it is approaching April 30th has anyone heard back or know people that have gotten off the alternate list?

If no one is accepted off the alternate today, I'm going to call them again tomorrow. I'm really hoping the entire alternate list isn't taking an L. Hopefully they'll tell me there was some miscommunication and that we still have a chance to hear back over the month of May.

Reactions: 2 users
If no one is accepted off the alternate today, I'm going to call them again tomorrow. I'm really hoping the entire alternate list isn't taking an L. Hopefully they'll tell me there was some miscommunication and that we still have a chance to hear back over the month of May.
Thanks, that would be great

Okay so I called today and figured out the confusion. April 30th was the deadline to receive an offer to be on the alternate list. I suppose last time I called, I didn't make it clear that I was already on the alternate list...
For people already on the alternate list that have already been accepted to another program, you have until June 1st to be pulled off. If you are an the alternate list and haven't been accepted anywhere else, you have until the first day of the program.

tl;dr This alternate list works the same as the other Texas med schools. If you aren't already on the alternate list, you've been rejected

Reactions: 4 users
This makes me feel so much better! Seriously thank you for calling them and letting us know!

Okay so I called today and figured out the confusion. April 30th was the deadline to receive an offer to be on the alternate list. I suppose last time I called, I didn't make it clear that I was already on the alternate list...
For people already on the alternate list that have already been accepted to another program, you have until June 1st to be pulled off. If you are an the alternate list and haven't been accepted anywhere else, you have until the first day of the program.

tl;dr This alternate list works the same as the other Texas med schools. If you aren't already on the alternate list, you've been rejected
is makes me