2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh not bad then! I've been complete since end of July but my stats are lower for this school, though it is my numero uno!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh not bad then! I've been complete since end of July but my stats are lower for this school, though it is my numero uno!

Same!! But I'm hoping that my essays and experience at least gives me a chance. I took a big risk applying to any of the schools. So I'm just praying! I have this secondary pre-written so I'm READY! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
lol if someone who sent their app in 9/9 got the secondary already, I guess it's safe to say my end of July app has been screened out. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol if someone who sent their app in 9/9 got the secondary already, I guess it's safe to say my end of July app has been screened out. Oh well.
That's what I was thinking but if their stats are super high then maybe why they got such a fast turn around. Us mid teir stats people gotta wait our turn lol

That's what I was thinking but if their stats are super high then maybe why they got such a fast turn around. Us mid teir stats people gotta wait our turn lol

I don't think this school does auto-secondaries for stats. They don't seem to be that focused on stats

Hmmmmmm then maybe I'll give a friendly reminder that I'm interested in their school lol. "Dell don't forget meeee!!!!"

Reactions: 1 users
They're definitely not focused on stats. I have decent stats but by no means a high 70 or 80 type of LizzyM and I got one of the first II dates

Are they looking for people who are innovative then, like started their own non profits and things like that? That looked like the profile of last class. I have a lot of community work but never started my own.

Oh and congrats!!

THANKS!! Not amazing status, but remember more to application than just grades/scores... :) IF I post stats, it'll be the debate of "my numbers are better than yours so why not me". I'm a non-trad and don't want to spend any more of my time in life worrying about these numbers anymore. They followed me around like a black cloud in ugrad and caused me so much anxiety, distress and more.
I'm just surprised it was so quickly maybe bc of T/F biographical questions> :oops:o IDK

Well, I just submitted my first secondary to BCM yesterday so really late and feeling terrible already..trying to get everything in :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Are they looking for people who are innovative then, like started their own non profits and things like that? That looked like the profile of last class. I have a lot of community work but never started my own.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I have an II and I have never started anything from the ground up.

Reactions: 1 users
When does UT-DELL interview? Any guesses on how many Interviews days already completed and predicted days for the rest?

There was a tentative list last year. I would assume it's the same. Did you see it?

Members don't see this ad :)
ImageUploadedBySDN1473711448.026741.jpg

So there is the current info on the website.

Wow, so July, August, Sept = Maybe only 7 interviews days left or something??

Oh I'm still positive. Im just in that weird spot between excited and anxious. I'm trying to find that link from last year that showed the dates

Here were the dates from last year...

ImageUploadedBySDN1473713334.933802.jpg

But now it's full days, not two sessions. So I'm not sure how it will work now, I assume it would mean more people on the days since there is only one session and they have to interview 350.

So at least it's more interview dates. 10 vs 6. But in actuality that's because it's full days I'm sure.

THANKS!! Not amazing status, but remember more to application than just grades/scores... :) IF I post stats, it'll be the debate of "my numbers are better than yours so why not me". I'm a non-trad and don't want to spend any more of my time in life worrying about these numbers anymore. They followed me around like a black cloud in ugrad and caused me so much anxiety, distress and more.
I'm just surprised it was so quickly maybe bc of T/F biographical questions> :oops:o IDK

Well, I just submitted my first secondary to BCM yesterday so really late and feeling terrible already..trying to get everything in :oops:

Congrats! You def. do not have to post your stats, but I don't think anyone here would debate numbers, since we know that Dell cares more about the "fit" of the person than focused super heavily on stats :)

July 26
August 11
August 23
October 6
October 18

Those are the dates I know so far. Just for people's Info

July 26
August 11
August 23
October 6
October 18

Those are the dates I know so far. Just for people's Info

I should've gone to UT instead of moving up here to the Northeast for college lol. Because it doesn't look like I will be experiencing life in Austin next year ;)

Well we are all friends here in the same boat , LizzyM was like 69 or so.

Honestly my bigger problem is getting my secondaries done. Lets hope I can do knock out the other 2 secondaries and then start on UT-Dell. I have only submitted 1 secondary so far and feel terrible! LOWER chances, and all that blah blah noise!

Thank you for being so encouraging in celebrating this small milestone of getting a secondary even. I appreciate it. I work full-time so from 7am-3pm and then work on apps until 9pm or so. It's hard life and I' m grateful to have yall's support!!

Congrats! You def. do not have to post your stats, but I don't think anyone here would debate numbers, since we know that Dell cares more about the "fit" of the person than focused super heavily on stats :)

Last edited:
Well we are all friends here in the same boat , LizzyM was like 69 or so.

Honestly my bigger problem is getting my secondaries done. Lets hope I can do knock out the other 2 secondaries and then start on UT-Dell. I have only submitted 1 secondary so far and feel terrible! LOWER chances, and all that blah blah noise!

Thank you for being so encouraging in celebrating this small milestone of getting a secondary even. I appreciate it. I work full-time so from 7am-3pm and then work on apps until 9pm or so. It's hard life and I' m grateful to have yall's support!!

No problem! I think one of the main reasons we're here is to get/give support during this crazy process! Did you just get your MCAT back and that's why you just applied?

No I took the MCAT in 2015, Sept. But the nuerotic person in me said that oh, maybe I should re-take it again and didnt' feel totally happy with it. Although the score was better than my expectations. I of course didn't retake it. Maybe I just got lazy nd unfocused..and afraid . I thought everything had to be just perfect when really you just do the best you can.

It was combination of fear, uncertain, and as a non-trad I dont know many others applying to med school- so procrastinated+fear+lazyness+not the best mindset all contributed to how to go about this process. I had to complete my pre-med committee letter packet and on-campus interview which I did my late March and then didn't start on personal statement until June. oh well, it is what it is. I am not a great writer and didn't use any editing services, just ask folks to read it for me.

Also my pre-med committee send the letter in on Friday 9/9 so thats when the file was completed

What is the "fit" of this school? I'm a "traditional" applicant but have unorthodox work experience/major/research/consistent community involvement in something niche, etc...

I have no idea. I'm as non-trad as they come. I thought my experiences would be a great fit honestly. But I have a low GPA and MCAT. So still holding tight

Haven't gotten one email today. Not even spam!!

Reactions: 2 users
Starting on UT-DELL SECONDARY- :O :O: o:idea::wow:
Any here interested in providing comments//reading it? :O I WOULD appreciate the help :)

Starting on UT-DELL SECONDARY- :O :O: o:idea::wow:
Any here interested in providing comments//reading it? :O I WOULD appreciate the help :)
Well I'm not sure if be a ton of help bc I didn't get a secondary but I could give comments of you want

I prewrote mine. I'm here to help (even though I didn't get one either)

@prettyNURSEtoMD and others - I am so humbled by your willingness to support and help. I am having long days 7am-10pm (work then apps) or so when I get home . Luckly if I can pack my lunch, or have breakfast or steal a bit of time in the gym.

So this is espeically appreciated. I am happy to know that these are the kind of people who apply to med schools.

Right now, my challenge is to not answer all of the 4 questions from one experience I have had (i'm a public school teacher) , but instead bring a few diff experiences into play. But first I gotta submit the other 2 secondaries :OO for texas schools

Yeah, I understand. I'm an RN and in a biomed masters so I know "long days".

For my approach, I did use nursing examples and experience for all 4 questions, but it made sense to do so. Especially with team work and creatively solving a problem. I'll send you what I have and it'll make sense and I'll include examples you could contribute. I have teachers in my family.

I'll PM you.

Last edited:
Does dell only send invites or secondary's on certain days. Sorry guys, just struggling with the wait

I'm lurking the old thread and a lot of people who applied in early summer received secondary late September!

Does dell only send invites or secondary's on certain days. Sorry guys, just struggling with the wait

Honestly I'm kind of thinking Dell has already looked me over. Because I applied semi-early, and there are people that applied last month or so that are getting secondaries. I think Dell has a certain image in mind of the type of student they want, as opposed to pure stats, which creates a pretty unique profile for potential students to fit. I know that some people get secondaries later, but I have this feeling that Dell just does things differently haha

Honestly I'm kind of thinking Dell has already looked me over. Because I applied semi-early, and there are people that applied last month or so that are getting secondaries. I think Dell has a certain image in mind of the type of student they want, as opposed to pure stats, which creates a pretty unique profile for potential students to fit. I know that some people get secondaries later, but I have this feeling that Dell just does things differently haha

Well I submitted my primary 8/23, transmitted 9/6 and was complete with my last transcript 9/9. So hopefully I'm still in the running!

I really hope I'm a good fit still but I'm trying to not have my hopes so high for disappointment.

I feel this too but what boggles my mind is my entire app is focused on reaching the underserved and healthcare activism. I'm a teach for America corps member with a 3.78 and 31, I've already interviewed at TX schools

I thought I was a great fit but perhaps not

I feel this too but what boggles my mind is my entire app is focused on reaching the underserved and healthcare activism. I'm a teach for America corps member with a 3.78 and 31, I've already interviewed at TX schools

I thought I was a great fit but perhaps not

Same. I have other TX interviews as well, but I thought I would be able to fit Dell's vision. I have done a lot of innovative research during undergrad, and have worked extensively with a non-profit aimed at stopping poverty in my school's surrounding city. But I'm sure there are 4000+ of us who have done a lot of stuff like this as well, so it's hard for them to narrow it down maybe?

Well I submitted my primary 8/23, transmitted 9/6 and was complete with my last transcript 9/9. So hopefully I'm still in the running!

I really hope I'm a good fit still but I'm trying to not have my hopes so high for disappointment.

Did you just take the MCAT and that's why you sent your primary out later? I submitted mid June and it took almost a month to get verified, and I was sure it was never going to happen it was so slow lol That's good that yours got verified so quickly!

And honestly as long as you have good stats, submitting later doesn't change much.

Do we think all of the secondaries have gone out? Or what!

TMDSAS deadline for completion is Sept 30, so not much time before all eligible applications will be in the hands of the med schools. Although I think schools prefer earlier and timelier applicants in general, once they have their complete pool of applicants they can go back through and send out more secondaries or interview invitations.

Did you just take the MCAT and that's why you sent your primary out later? I submitted mid June and it took almost a month to get verified, and I was sure it was never going to happen it was so slow lol That's good that yours got verified so quickly!

And honestly as long as you have good stats, submitting later doesn't change much.

Yes. I took MCAT 7/22. And I was waiting on grades from my masters program. It took me 2 weeks to get verified. My transcripts I mailed myself and we're all there on 7/12 minus my grad school. And my LORS were all done through interfolio.

I'm not worried about submitting "late" or "early" if God has this for me. It's for me and it can't miss me. So I don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. I know I'm a different thinker. Lol. To each their own I suppose.

But my GPA isn't good. I have 3 degrees and 287 credits and a lot of my grades are averaged from retakes so its pretty weighted. Just looking for a holistic review of my app.