2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're still accepting primary apps! Lots of time left

Lol only for four more days... I can't imagine there are too many people submitting primaries now

Members don't see this ad.

Haha in try not to anticipate too much during the week so I don't obsessively check those days.

Do you only check Monday and Friday? You have a lot more self control than I do :p

Also, I know you mentioned getting a secondary from UCSF. I also got one, but I heard last year they sent out around 4000, which was an increase from the 1500 they usually send out. Do you think they are sending out a similar amount this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea why it's taking so long to send some more out though? I know SDN represents a small sample size but still. Not even IIs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any idea why it's taking so long to send some more out though? I know SDN represents a small sample size but still. Not even IIs

From what I observed at my A&M interview, and from what I've heard when talking with a friend who is an M1, they are sending them out to people who have high stats and research. Not saying all high stat people are getting them, but the majority that are getting secondaries have innovation and high gpa/mcat. Not sure what your stats are, but I'm average, so I'm not even expecting one anytime soon. Their mcat was around 90% percentile last year, so even though they said they are "Not focused as much on it" this year, the people getting secondaries and especially IIs are those with high mcats and gpas. If you have high stats and a good research background, you should be getting a secondary! They have the luxury of having a small interview pool and a small class size. So people that are getting IIs from UTSW and UTH aren't getting them here, because it's so small.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you only check Monday and Friday? You have a lot more self control than I do :p

Also, I know you mentioned getting a secondary from UCSF. I also got one, but I heard last year they sent out around 4000, which was an increase from the 1500 they usually send out. Do you think they are sending out a similar amount this year?

Oh damn I thought they were screening to give secondaries to 30%! I guess I'm not too excited about that then lol

And I still check but my hopes aren't up like they are on Monday and Friday

So do you think those high stat people would choose dell over the other schools?? I guess I just don't understand the rationale lol

Oh damn I thought they were screening to give secondaries to 30%! I guess I'm not too excited about that then lol

And I still check but my hopes aren't up like they are on Monday and Friday

I got this number from a current student, but it could be wrong! UCSF said they give out 1500- 2000 max normally, but last year they gave out more? I hope I'm wrong haha

So do you think those high stat people would choose dell over the other schools?? I guess I just don't understand the rationale lol

Absolutely imo. The curriculum is fantastic, with a whole year of research you can seriously boost your application to competitive residencies. And last year people kept choosing between here and UTSW, so no doubt in my mind that they are attracting high caliber. I have a LizzyM of around 70, and I honestly don't think I will get a II. Maybe a secondary. But remember that stats are what get you through the door to the II and ECs/LOR/personal statement are what get you the acceptance. I think my ECs and personal statement are strong, but I'm not sure if my stats are strong enough.

Absolutely imo. The curriculum is fantastic, with a whole year of research, you can seriously boost your application to competitive residencies. And last year people kept choosing between here and UTSW, so no doubt in my mind that they are attracting high caliber. I have a LizzyM of around 70, and I honestly don't think I will get a II. Maybe a secondary. But remember that stats are what get you through the door to the II and ECs/LOR/personal statement are what get you the acceptance. I think my ECs and personal statement are strong, but I'm not sure if my stats are strong enough.

Oh okay just wondering because I know people withdrew from here and went to UTH and UTSW dell last year. We will see. Fingers crossed.

Oh okay just wondering because I know people withdrew from here and went to UTH and UTSW dell last year. We will see. Fingers crossed.

If I remember your LizzyM correctly I think you have a fantastic shot!!! And did you apply to the other TX schools? Remember there are 10 other schools that are just as fantastic as Dell!

If I remember your LizzyM correctly I think you have a fantastic shot!!! And did you apply to the other TX schools? Remember there are 10 other schools that are just as fantastic as Dell!

I never posted my LizzyM lol because it's low lol. But I applied to all Texas and 5 on AMCAS. Going to finish DO apps too.

Good Morning everyone!!!! I just wanted to remind you we are floating on the only rock within millions and millions of miles that has life on it! And the Monarch butterflies are making their way through Texas to there destination in Mexico, and life is beautiful, and the chances we are all alive is so small it's astounding!!!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I instantly said "what" after reading this. Then realized its probably some really great optimistic saying and I don't comprehend because I'm not super optimistic lol or work is just really busy and I'm tired and have been to the ICU 3x since I've clocked in

So when is the last day for secondaries here?

In terms of when they send them out? No one knows. In terms of their deadline, most of the information about Dell, including their application deadline, can be found on their website! It's November 15. I would advise checking it out if you're interested in this school. Sometimes you can get much quicker answers by going direct to the site.

http://dellmedschool.utexas.edu/prospective-students/application-process

I've seen it a hundred times and know to look there first for information but my specific question was in regards to if they would send secondaries out until the day before the due date like last time or if they had a more organized or systematic cut off and if anyone here had an insight. Maybe my question wasn't as clear as I would have hoped. Sorry about that! Thanks.

Last edited:
I've seen it a hundred times and know to look there first for information but my specific question was in regards to if they would send secondaries out until the day before the due date like last time or if they had a more organized or systematic cut off and if anyone here had an insight. Maybe my question wasn't as clear as I would have hoped. Thanks.

Maybe call them and ask?

I'm trying to figure out this school. Can I ask if you did research? I got no secondary and I wonder if it is because I have no research or I got screened for a subscore on my MCAT.
Oh, and good luck on that interview!

I'm trying to figure out this school. Can I ask if you did research? I got no secondary and I wonder if it is because I have no research or I got screened for a subscore on my MCAT.
I did research but it was more of a social behavioral type of research lab
Lizzy <66

I did research but it was more of a social behavioral type of research lab
Lizzy <66

Completion date? I sent in the secondary over a month ago and I haven't heard a peep.

Just got off the phone with admissions. She said "yes we do plan to send out more secondaries. The November 15th deadline is just the priority deadline but there is a possibility that we will send secondaries even after that date".

Reactions: 1 users
Completion date? I sent in the secondary over a month ago and I haven't heard a peep.
6/30 they emailed saying that my application was received, but my pre-health committee packet wasn't in TMDSAS until about 2 weeks later. I never got another email from Dell.

Reactions: 1 users
6/30 they emailed saying that my application was received, but my pre-health committee packet wasn't in TMDSAS until about 2 weeks later. I never got another email from Dell.

Thank you, and good luck on your interview!

Just got off the phone with admissions. She said "yes we do plan to send out more secondaries. The November 15th deadline is just the priority deadline but there is a possibility that we will send secondaries even after that date".

Thanks for the intel!

Looks like last secondaries went out Friday 2 weeks ago, according to this thread. Unless they gave them today along with II, maybe tomorrow's the day! Need to consult my magic 8 ball

Reactions: 2 users
SECONDARY TODAY FINALLY SO HAPPY I COULD CRY I WANT TO GO HERE SO BAD LIZZY M 69.5

I've already had three interviews

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like this process is like being on the bachelor. Watching the guy you love date other girls and then wonder why you are not good enough. I want a damn rose! Lol

Reactions: 3 users
Soooo for the first time since July I didn't check my phone every hour and I got a SECONDARY!!!!! Haven't checked all day since I've been driving back home!! LizzyM 70, Complete Middle/End of July. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I think around 4, but I was driving 4 hours from UTMB, so I didn't check it!!! Thanks:)

Soooo for the first time since July I didn't check my phone every hour and I got a SECONDARY!!!!! Haven't checked all day since I've been driving back home!! LizzyM 70, Complete Middle/End of July. :)

You and I have been obsessively posting on this thread for a secondary since July, haha. I hope we both now get II and will hopefully be at dell this upcoming year :)

anyone know when the last interview date is here ? Trying to book a flight right after that date. I'll call them tmr and ask :)