2019-2020 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any of those accepted been emailed to schedule a meeting with someone from student affairs?
I got an email last week and scheduled a phone call. I did a quick google search to make sure the email was legit as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm asking this question about Carle since it is the only school I have been waitlisted at so far, but also broadly speaking: should I send FAFSA to Carle/any school I have been waitlisted at or only do so if I get accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm asking this question about Carle since it is the only school I have been waitlisted at so far, but also broadly speaking: should I send FAFSA to Carle/any school I have been waitlisted at or only do so if I get accepted?
Yep, it's free and you'll want that information early if you get accepted. I sent in mine as soon as it was available (before I was accepted to any schools). I would highly recommend getting it out of the way.

I’ve read that the rule of thumb is to submit FAFSA to any school you get an II from.

Reactions: 2 users
Can I just say that I hate how rejections start. It's always something like:

"It was great to have you, but there are just so many good candidates." :cautious:

R. Does anyone know what this review appt they're offering is? A phone call?

• Sad
I'm sorry to hear about the Rs. What showcase are they sending Rs from? Were any of you initially waitlisted?

It bothers me that Carle would go through the effort of inviting people to showcases and then not even waitlist them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry for those that received R's. Keep your heads up though, this is a grueling process and the fight is not over yet. Best of luck at any other schools you've applied to!

Reactions: 2 users
I just had my call recently! He really just wants to get to know the students to be better prepared to support and connect us to resources. And for us to know him to feel more comfortable with the staff.

He was kind enough to answer various logistical questions, but he wanted to focus mostly on conversing about ourselves as a person instead of an applicant (since you’re already in!).

He’s a friendly, interesting guy, so it was pretty relaxed :)

I just had my call recently! He really just wants to get to know the students to be better prepared to support and connect us to resources. And for us to know him to feel more comfortable with the staff.

He was kind enough to answer various logistical questions, but he wanted to focus mostly on conversing about ourselves as a person instead of an applicant (since you’re already in!).

He’s a friendly, interesting guy, so it was pretty relaxed :)

I had mine too and it was exactly the same.

I have a call scheduled for next week. Keep us posted on the nature of the call! Also, how long was the call?
I just did a half hour convo inquiring about the current state of the MD-PhD program. It gave me a lot of food for thought. They are always so helpful and resourceful on these calls, I'm sure you'll get your questions answered too!

I just had the feedback call after being rejected in November post-showcase. It was around 5 minutes and he said mainly that I was missing 1 semester of calculus, linear algebra and diff EQ, and they disqualify applicants that are missing more than 2 of their pre-requisite coursework. Which is crazy to me because I took Calc BC in high school and Calc III (multivariable) in college, so technically I fulfilled their requirement of Calc 1,2,3 but I did it in two semesters so they didn't count it..also they said nothing from the showcase had an influence on my application. hope this is helpful

• Sad
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
I just had the feedback call after being rejected in November post-showcase. It was around 5 minutes and he said mainly that I was missing 1 semester of calculus, linear algebra and diff EQ, and they disqualify applicants that are missing more than 2 of their pre-requisite coursework. Which is crazy to me because I took Calc BC in high school and Calc III (multivariable) in college, so technically I fulfilled their requirement of Calc 1,2,3 but I did it in two semesters so they didn't count it..also they said nothing from the showcase had an influence on my application. hope this is helpful

They invited you to showcase, then rejected you for not having the right arrangement of competencies? And straight up told you the showcase didn't factor into the decision? That's bizarre...

• Hmm
When do we hear more news from here? Hopefully soon but wondering if any A's have been sent recently aside from the update in January?

I had my phone call last week. It was about 20 minutes and was really about getting to know your personal interests outside of medicine. I asked about scholarships and he said that they already had a meeting about it and those decisions should be out this month.

Looks like financial aid scholarships are out!

I just read that USMLE Step 1 will be pass/fail for first-year medical students who start this fall and take it in 2022. Is this good news or bad news for relatively new schools, like Carle Illiniois?

I just read that USMLE Step 1 will be pass/fail for first-year medical students who start this fall and take it in 2022. Is this good news or bad news for relatively new schools, like Carle Illiniois?
Bad news. Carle does not have any reputation in terms of how well they train their students.

• Wow
sorry if this has been asked before, but I went to the january showcase and got waitlisted about two weeks after. Do you guys know if they accept updates/ if theyre receptive to them/ if I should bother? lol and do they accept LOIs? if yall have any info id appreciate it! the wait is killling me lol

sorry if this has been asked before, but I went to the january showcase and got waitlisted about two weeks after. Do you guys know if they accept updates/ if theyre receptive to them/ if I should bother? lol and do they accept LOIs? if yall have any info id appreciate it! the wait is killling me lol

From what i remember, I think we've all been ranked on the wait list. I'm not sure if LOI's will help, but it won't hurt to ask if they are receptive to such. Send em an email and ask!

They accept updates and want to hear from you! And they construct their class in a very specific way (for background diversity), so the waitlist isn’t ranked in a completely numerical way as far as I know.

I'm curious to know if anyone has heard of any medical school (Carle or otherwise) planning to modify their curriculum for the class of 2024 now that Step 1 is pass/fail.

I've been reading some speculation online suggesting that some medical schools may want to shorten the pre-clinical period, move dedicated to third year, and give students more time to schedule away rotations.

That being said though, this must be a pain in the ass for medical schools to figure out because we don't even know for sure if it'll be pass fail for us yet (the notice said 2022 at the earliest)

I think this just changes the dynamic for everyone. Can't bank on a high STEP for super-competitive specialties anymore. You're going to have to differentiate in other ways, like EC's, research, etc. I think Carle has plentiful offerings when it comes to those extras, but it'll be on you to get involved in them.

Regarding the waitlist, when can we expect to hear anything, roughly? Speculations? I don't want to hold out until class starts in July... Has anyone been shifted off the waitlist into acceptance yet? Thanks!

Regarding the waitlist, when can we expect to hear anything, roughly? Speculations? I don't want to hold out until class starts in July... Has anyone been shifted off the waitlist into acceptance yet? Thanks!
I wouldn't expect a single move on the waitlist until at least April 15 when people need to start narrowing down, and then probably a decent amount of movement in the first two weeks of May after April 30th passes. And then a painfully slow trickle after that.

I don't expect them to touch the waitlist until they reach below 40 active acceptances. And I got the impression that they have offered 80 initial acceptances, so we need to wait until at least 40 people withdraw acceptances which won't happen April 15/30. Those are my speculations anyway.

I wouldn't expect a single move on the waitlist until at least April 15 when people need to start narrowing down, and then probably a decent amount of movement in the first two weeks of May after April 30th passes. And then a painfully slow trickle after that.

I don't expect them to touch the waitlist until they reach below 40 active acceptances. And I got the impression that they have offered 80 initial acceptances, so we need to wait until at least 40 people withdraw acceptances which won't happen April 15/30. Those are my speculations anyway.
Ok thanks for your input!

Ok thanks for your input!

And to add to that, they interviewed about 300 students for 40 seats. And they indicated that they will not tell us the our ranking on the wait list. It's a waiting game at this point without guarantees.

Does anyone know when we have to pay the $100 deposit by?

Does anyone know when we have to pay the $100 deposit by?
Not sure, but if you plan to attend I wouldn't delay. I submitted mine the day I got the acceptance. It's there to hold your place in the class. According to the email, it's listed in that on-boarding section, which starts February 20, 2020, which is tomorrow, so I would recommend getting it in ASAP if you plan to attend Carle. Deposits are usually refundable as well, though you may want to contact them about that since I couldn't find info on that anywhere online.

Released my acceptance spot, now that I'm for sure not attending. Hope one of you gets it!!

Reactions: 5 users
On the "White Coat Sizing Form" there's a question that asks What does being a physician-innovator mean to you?

How many sentences did you guys write for it? On the question below it asks for 1-2 sentences but there's no specification for this one

On the "White Coat Sizing Form" there's a question that asks What does being a physician-innovator mean to you?

How many sentences did you guys write for it? On the question below it asks for 1-2 sentences but there's no specification for this one
A few sentences is probably enough... I guess it depends on how succinctly you can describe this.
Do you already have a professional head-shot to upload?

for anyone who doesn't use facebook there's also a class discord. Dm me and i'll send you the link

Anyone got moved from Waitlist to Accepted yet?