2022-2023 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @AstroSidekick for the details on this year's questions

2022-2023 Illinois Secondary Essay Prompts (no word limits)

1. Describe a stressful situation that you have experienced. Please detail your reaction, how you managed the situation, and what you learned that will help you handle a similar circumstance in the future.

2. In addition to training as a competent physician please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.

• Simulation
  • Clinical Research
  • Basic science research
  • Interdisciplinary collaboration
  • Healthcare disparities
  • Academic medicine
  • Global Health
  • Community Health Urban
  • Community Health Rural
  • Innovation Medicine

3. Have you applied for admission to medical school previously?

4. Have you ever matriculated into and not completed a professional/graduate program?

5. Please describe any abrupt changes that you experienced in your preparation for application for medical school due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Also note that if you are interested in any of the scholarly concentrations, there are additional essays that are program specific.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Illinois College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
+1 OOS nontrad... waiting as well...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc Prompts:

1. Describe a stressful situation that you have experienced. Please detail your reaction, how you managed the situation, and what you learned that will help you handle a similar circumstance in the future.

2. In addition to training as a competent physician please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.
  • Simulation
  • Clinical Research
  • Basic science research
  • Interdisciplinary collaboration
  • Healthcare disparities
  • Academic medicine
  • Global Health
  • Community Health Urban
  • Community Health Rural
  • Innovation Medicine

3. Have you applied for admission to medical school previously?

4. Have you ever matriculated into and not completed a professional/graduate program?

5. Please describe any abrupt changes that you experienced in your preparation for application for medical school due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

No word limits on any questions. Secondary costs $70.

Also note that if you are interested in any of the scholarly concentrations, there are additional essays that are program specific.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if I need to submit the Scholarly Concentration essays with my secondary? The deadline for those is 3/1/23, which is well after their secondary submission deadline.

If anyone already submitted and did not apply to any of the scholarly concentrations, please check!

Does anyone know if I need to submit the Scholarly Concentration essays with my secondary? The deadline for those is 3/1/23, which is well after their secondary submission deadline.

If anyone already submitted and did not apply to any of the scholarly concentrations, please check!
You can add and write the concentration later. However, the review process seems to be at least somewhat connected as they don’t release decisions fully independently.

Reactions: 1 users
You can add and write the concentration later. However, the review process seems to be at least somewhat connected as they don’t release decisions fully independently.
More on this question, does anyone know if it's expected (/more competitive) that we pick a couple of the program's and write about them?

OOS, secondary received 7/5. Submitted 6/6 and processed 7/5.

Members don't see this ad :)
When would make sense to submit the scholarly concentration essays? Are these needed prior to an interview invitation?

When would make sense to submit the scholarly concentration essays? Are these needed prior to an interview invitation?
Yes, they should be there before the interview as the interview format is complete different at least for some of the concentrations.

There's no word or character count right? I can't really think of what a good relative length for the prompts should be.

My status still reads as Incomplete even though I've submitted all of the required materials on their check list. Anyone else running into this problem too?

Reactions: 3 users
My status still reads as Incomplete even though I've submitted all of the required materials on their check list. Anyone else running into this problem too?

Same. I think it’s their end getting CASPER all sorted out

This is normal. They mark as completed when someone manually checks all materials and letters for technical correctness.

I just saw that the assistant dean of admission, Dr. Amiri, left to work for admissions at Vermont's COM, but I talked to her a few months ago for advice on a UICOM-related concern. Do any current students know if she has already left the university or is still overseeing this cycle before leaving?

I just saw that the assistant dean of admission, Dr. Amiri, left to work for admissions at Vermont's COM, but I talked to her a few months ago for advice on a UICOM-related concern. Do any current students know if she has already left the university or is still overseeing this cycle before leaving?

Dr. Amiri has already left UICOM.

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the UMed application? Everytime I hit submit on my essays, it just saves them again

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the UMed application? Everytime I hit submit on my essays, it just saves them again
Would you mind telling me the prompts for this application if you have a chance? I'm still waiting for AMCAS verification but I love this concentration and want to submit as early as possible. I'm sorry you're having issues with the application!

Here they are!

What is your understanding of structural violence? Give an example of a way that structural violence can impact an individual or community.

Describe a time when you worked with a community that was different from your own to achieve a goal. What considerations were made in this partnership and what lessons were learned?

Describe a social issue you are passionate about and how it impacts communities you work with.

This sounds correct. Since this section can be changed later (e.g. adding another co-curricular program) before the deadline, it is not really submitted-and-sealed but saved and accessible for them when needed.

Is it still looking like that on folks who had this issue? Still for me :(

hi all- I just added UIC to my list how long did it take to get your secondary? i am IS and I meet all the screening requirements

For #2 in the secondary, does an additional drop down box appear to expand on why you chose those areas of interest, or do you only have to select?

OOS, still no secondary, is this because they haven't recieved Casper/Snapshot/Duet, or do they screen before sending secondaries?

OOS, still no secondary, is this because they haven't recieved Casper/Snapshot/Duet, or do they screen before sending secondaries?
I have no clue but I'm right there with you :(

They didn't screen for CASPer last year.

For anyone else considering the RMED program at Rockford, I had to call the recruiter for the program and he had to manually change my application from his end so that I could choose the program. His name is Mark Meurer, his email is www.ncrhp.uic.edu and his phone is 815-395-5782.

He also stressed that the program is not only for IL natives.

Is anyone's application portal still showing that the application is complete, despite submitting the secondary a while ago? I figure it's something manual and not a big deal, but just checking that I'm not the only one.

Is anyone's application portal still showing that the application is complete, despite submitting the secondary a while ago? I figure it's something manual and not a big deal, but just checking that I'm not the only one.
Can confirm this is the case for me too. It's also been a while since I submitted.