2022-2023 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email that all of the immediate acceptances have been sent out and everyone still on the AWPA list will have to wait for someone to decline a seat. Trying to stay hopeful- I’ve been AWPA since January🤞🏻

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! M1 here. I'm so excited for you all. I saw a post about leases and just wanted to say that I would highly recommend Sun Valley

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! M1 here. I'm so excited for you all. I saw a post about leases and just wanted to say that I would highly recommend Sun Valley
Sun Valley does interest me, but it seems to be the most expensive option... something like $875 a month + around $200 worth of utilities + not furnished. Is there anything you have found to bring this cost down??

Sun Valley does interest me, but it seems to be the most expensive option... something like $875 a month + around $200 worth of utilities + not furnished. Is there anything you have found to bring this cost down??
They have raised prices. I pay $780/month and my utilities have never been more than $125-140 excluding WiFi. I like it because it’s clean, quiet (no undergrads live here), the apartments are nice and bright, and maintenance is good. I tend to study at home probably 95% of the time so having a place that is conducive to that was important to me.

*if you are interested in Sun Valley I would reach out to them fairly quickly.

For housing, I've had good luck with 5-Star Realty. JRJ Rentals has some nice duplexes about 10 minutes from campus. Compton Rentals deals mostly in trailers, but their big park, the Town and Country, is nice. Carbondale Area Rentals (Darren Smith) is who I'm currently with, and I've found him to be a good person to rent from.

Avoid Home Rentals like the plague.
Most of the trailer parks are terrible, even for trailer parks.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I live at Sun Valley right now too. Rent is actually increasing by like 72 dollars sadly, but I am choosing to stay and I'll be living alone. Since I'm in the MD/MPH program I'll be in your class and starting med school in august. One thing to note is that sun valley is expensive, but feels really safe and is super quiet. I've had noise issues in every apartment I've lived in (which is a lot) except for Sun Valley. there's little traffic on this part of town so it feels more residential and there's also a fancy neighborhood next door that's great for walking or jogging. To me, having the peace and quiet (and "nicer" apartment) is worth tacking on the extra loans.

Hey! I live at Sun Valley right now too. Rent is actually increasing by like 72 dollars sadly, but I am choosing to stay and I'll be living alone. Since I'm in the MD/MPH program I'll be in your class and starting med school in august. One thing to note is that sun valley is expensive, but feels really safe and is super quiet. I've had noise issues in every apartment I've lived in (which is a lot) except for Sun Valley. there's little traffic on this part of town so it feels more residential and there's also a fancy neighborhood next door that's great for walking or jogging. To me, having the peace and quiet (and "nicer" apartment) is worth tacking on the extra loans.
To add to this, if noise doesn't bother you and safety isn't a priority, then it probably isn't worth the extra rent. I am a woman and have a dog that I have to walk at night, so I definitely take that into consideration! The apartment is nice and the bedrooms are huge, but it's not worth the price tag for that in itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any new news for anyone? I interviewed Jan 10th and been on AWPA since Feb. I’m starting to lose hope :/ Thought interview went super well

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Any new news for anyone? I interviewed Jan 10th and been on AWPA since Feb. I’m starting to lose hope :/ Thought interview went super well
Interesting. I thought that nearly 70-85 percent get of AWPA. Is this true, even after the 3rd Acceptance Batch has gone out in March?

I was under the impression they only did three acceptance batches. If they've already done the third, then it may be unlikely any more acceptances will go out, unless someone with an acceptance declines.

Interesting. I thought that nearly 70-85 percent get of AWPA. Is this true, even after the 3rd Acceptance Batch has gone out in March?
They claim that around April 30th and May there is a lot of movement on the AWPA list, but it’s hard to be optimistic

Accepted into the Lincoln Scholars Program on 4/6

I was accepted on 4/4 but I declined the acceptance last Friday so hopefully one of you will get it! Keep your heads up because movement is happening, it's just very slow right now! Don't get discouraged especially because they told us most of the movement will happen around May 1! Good luck everyone!!

• Care
Anyone accepted to Lincoln Scholars lmk and I can add you to our combined GroupMe with all of us current LSP students!

Best of luck to everyone still on AWPA you still have time!

Accepted! AWPA from December
Congrats!!! Were you silent in your communication since December? A cont. interest letter or a Letter of Intent sent? Would it be helpful for others this year or next? Again Congratulations!

Congrats!!! Were you silent in your communication since December? A cont. interest letter or a Letter of Intent sent? Would it be helpful for others this year or next? Again Congratulations!
Only emails that were sent were in regards to the admission process.

• Care
Only emails that were sent were in regards to the admission process.
That is so great. I assume that they knew you were interested by your admissions questions?!! How long ago did you email them a question? Not asking for specifics, but am curious if timing of your continued interest played a factor. Congratulations on YOUR accomplishment, you earned it! :)

Did anyone submit their financial form yet? If so, how did you go about ranking specialties?

One of my friends got accepted yesterday who had been AWPA since Nov/Dec

Hello Everyone, nice to meet you all! I'm new to this but I was accepted on 5/1/23 and have been on AWPA since December!

Been on the AWPA since December. Hoping for some more movement here soon

I declined my acceptance on Tuesday; got off the WL elsewhere. Good luck to you all!

I did my undergrad at SIU, so if anyone has questions about the Carbondale area or SIUC, please feel free to drop me a message or a reply here.

I'm currently looking at Sun Valley (now known as Storyboard on Black Diamond). Do you know if their apartments come furnished and if so, do you have any suggestions on what else we should bring or provide? Thank you!

Is there an accepted student group? I paid the deposit and sent all my FAFSA stuff in, but still haven't received further emails

Do we know if the ranked alternate list is moving or will move?

I'm currently looking at Sun Valley (now known as Storyboard on Black Diamond). Do you know if their apartments come furnished and if so, do you have any suggestions on what else we should bring or provide? Thank you!
They are not furnished. I know this through applying for a room there myself.

Is there an accepted student group? I paid the deposit and sent all my FAFSA stuff in, but still haven't received further emails
There is on Facebook. Search for Class of 2027 SIU SOM and request to join. There’s some helpful information on housing and the area.

Last edited:
Do we know if the ranked alternate list is moving or will move?
Hey, so I remember on my interview day Beth said that people usually do not make it off the ranked alternate list (not to crush your spirits, just what I was told). Generally, acceptances are only drawn from the AWPA list. However, in the class Facebook group there are 65 members currently. Unless other admits have not yet joined the page, I would say there are still around 15 seats left. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Just withdrew my A from this school. Hope the spot goes to someone who will be very happy at SIU!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the A today! Good luck to everyone else, it seems like there is still movement happening :)