2019-2020 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Carle-Illinois College of Medicine (Coming soon!)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Does anyone know their process for secondaries?

Hey everyone! Does anyone know their process for secondaries?
I believe from previous threads that there is some sort of collage and video essay requirement. Haven't heard back from them yet, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a confirmation for my application! Anyone get a secondary yet?

Received Competency Checklist Invitation that had me match my classes to the recommended classes. Email says that it helps determine eligibility to receive secondary.

Secondary received:

You are asked to upload one, 1-page artifact (as a PDF; formatted no larger than 8.5x11") per value (Creativity, Compassion, Curiosity). Images, certificates, text or other visual options are allowed, however, hyperlinks and embedded videos are prohibited. You are encouraged to include multiple examples (i.e. a collage) to demonstrate your qualifications and awards, and you may repeat experiences that are listed on your AMCAS application.

Creativity
We know that complex problems require dynamic thinking and creative solutions. Help us see your creativity!

Show Us - What are the ways you demonstrate you have an active mind? What are you really proud of? For example, have you used technology in novel or distinct ways? What types of innovative solutions have you employed in your work, healthcare, or hobbies? Have you taken a risk to respond to a problem, to express yourself, or to achieve your goals? Describe how you live and lead a creative life.

Tell Us- In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Creativity. Please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below. If appropriate please share your level of commitment (e.g. your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

Compassion
We believe in creating physicians who, in addition to solving healthcare's most complex problems, are also tender, kind, and warm. From day one, you will be working with patients.

Show Us - How have you changed the lives of others? What have you experienced that has fostered a deep sense of compassion? For example, have you had a moving volunteer experience? Have you learned through adversity and shared those lessons with others in need? Share with us how you’ve impacted a larger population, and help us see how you will be the type of physician we would entrust with our most beloved community members.

Tell Us- In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Compassion. Please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below. If appropriate please share your level of commitment (e.g. your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

Curiosity
Carle Illinois College of Medicine values lifelong learners. We want to see your passion for learning and growing!

Show Us - How have you explored new interests, cultures, or people? Have you identified a need and taken the initiative to respond to that need? For example, is there a research project or work experience you’d like to share? Has your curiosity fostered a deeper sense of vulnerability, resilience, or life-long learning? If so, how? Let us see where your curiosity has taken you.

Tell Us- In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Curiosity. Please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below. If appropriate please share your level of commitment (e.g. your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

-----------------
VIDEO ESSAY
In the video essay, we are asking you to answer 4 questions within one recording session. After testing your device, you may enter the recording session. The questions will appear on the webpage, and you will have four minutes to prepare a response. Professional attire is not required, however, we encourage you to record in a distraction free environment. The actual recording session will run for five minutes; we encourage you to briefly introduce yourself, and spend roughly one minute per question. A countdown clock will be running (in seconds) during the recording to assist you with the timing.

Secondary received:

+1... ugh this is such a monster secondary. What program/software are you guys using to make a collage? Last time (20 years ago) I made one I just used clippings from magazines... I’m guessing that’s not what they are looking for lol

Secondary received:

You are asked to upload one, 1-page artifact (as a PDF; formatted no larger than 8.5x11") per value (Creativity, Compassion, Curiosity). Images, certificates, text or other visual options are allowed, however, hyperlinks and embedded videos are prohibited. You are encouraged to include multiple examples (i.e. a collage) to demonstrate your qualifications and awards, and you may repeat experiences that are listed on your AMCAS application.

Creativity
We know that complex problems require dynamic thinking and creative solutions. Help us see your creativity!

Show Us - What are the ways you demonstrate you have an active mind? What are you really proud of? For example, have you used technology in novel or distinct ways? What types of innovative solutions have you employed in your work, healthcare, or hobbies? Have you taken a risk to respond to a problem, to express yourself, or to achieve your goals? Describe how you live and lead a creative life.

Tell Us- In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Creativity. Please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below. If appropriate please share your level of commitment (e.g. your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

Compassion
We believe in creating physicians who, in addition to solving healthcare's most complex problems, are also tender, kind, and warm. From day one, you will be working with patients.

Show Us - How have you changed the lives of others? What have you experienced that has fostered a deep sense of compassion? For example, have you had a moving volunteer experience? Have you learned through adversity and shared those lessons with others in need? Share with us how you’ve impacted a larger population, and help us see how you will be the type of physician we would entrust with our most beloved community members.

Tell Us- In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Compassion. Please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below. If appropriate please share your level of commitment (e.g. your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

Curiosity
Carle Illinois College of Medicine values lifelong learners. We want to see your passion for learning and growing!

Show Us - How have you explored new interests, cultures, or people? Have you identified a need and taken the initiative to respond to that need? For example, is there a research project or work experience you’d like to share? Has your curiosity fostered a deeper sense of vulnerability, resilience, or life-long learning? If so, how? Let us see where your curiosity has taken you.

Tell Us- In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Curiosity. Please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below. If appropriate please share your level of commitment (e.g. your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

-----------------
VIDEO ESSAY
In the video essay, we are asking you to answer 4 questions within one recording session. After testing your device, you may enter the recording session. The questions will appear on the webpage, and you will have four minutes to prepare a response. Professional attire is not required, however, we encourage you to record in a distraction free environment. The actual recording session will run for five minutes; we encourage you to briefly introduce yourself, and spend roughly one minute per question. A countdown clock will be running (in seconds) during the recording to assist you with the timing.
Can I ask what your math experience is? I'm worried about not getting a secondary because I only took 1 semester of calc and never took linear algebra.

My degree is in engineering so I took all the recommended classes

Reactions: 1 user
But I'm not sure I am up for 3 collages with explanations... I haven't been that creative or curious haha

Did any one get the Competency Checklist invitation and then when you clicked on the link the only thing available to select was "submit"?

Did any one get the Competency Checklist invitation and then when you clicked on the link the only thing available to select was "submit"?

Nope. What browser are you using? I didn't have any issues with Chrome.

Do they give examples of what they want? I don't quite understand what they mean by a collage especially since we have to explain the "artifact"?

From reading previous threads it seems like they keep it vague on purpose. There is some leeway in what you can send from my understanding. I was just going to make a collage of projects, logos, code, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they send out secondaries to everyone who meets their min competency checklist?

Does anyone know if they send out secondaries to everyone who meets their min competency checklist?
I don't even think the competency checklist in necessarily a 'minimum'. They've accepted students in the past with no engineering backgrounds.

Quoted from their website:
Competency in the areas listed below will most likely be met through courses taken during your undergraduate education. However, we recognize that there are alternatives to undergraduate coursework that may prepare you for our curriculum. These may include, but are not limited to, overlapping coursework (e.g. substituting Multivariable Calculus with Physical Chemistry), professional experiences, or certificates. Applicants who cannot adequately demonstrate competency in three or more of the desired competency areas will not receive a secondary application. To see how the University of Illinois interprets your prior coursework, please refer to Transferology, or speak to the pre-health advisor from your college/university, or contact us at [email protected] to discuss your experience.

Applicants may demonstrate competence through the following suggested courses and labs:

• General/Organic Chemistry with Lab (3 semesters)
  • Biochemistry (1 semester)
  • Biology with Lab (2 semesters)
  • Physiology, Systems Biology or other advanced biology course (1 semester)
  • Physics with Lab (2 semesters)
  • Humanities/Social Science course work as defined by the undergraduate major
  • Calculus (2 semesters)
  • Statistics (1 semester)
  • Multivariable calculus
  • Differential equations
  • Linear algebra

I don't even think the competency checklist in necessarily a 'minimum'. They've accepted students in the past with no engineering backgrounds.

Quoted from their website:
Competency in the areas listed below will most likely be met through courses taken during your undergraduate education. However, we recognize that there are alternatives to undergraduate coursework that may prepare you for our curriculum. These may include, but are not limited to, overlapping coursework (e.g. substituting Multivariable Calculus with Physical Chemistry), professional experiences, or certificates. Applicants who cannot adequately demonstrate competency in three or more of the desired competency areas will not receive a secondary application. To see how the University of Illinois interprets your prior coursework, please refer to Transferology, or speak to the pre-health advisor from your college/university, or contact us at [email protected] to discuss your experience.

Applicants may demonstrate competence through the following suggested courses and labs:

• General/Organic Chemistry with Lab (3 semesters)
  • Biochemistry (1 semester)
  • Biology with Lab (2 semesters)
  • Physiology, Systems Biology or other advanced biology course (1 semester)
  • Physics with Lab (2 semesters)
  • Humanities/Social Science course work as defined by the undergraduate major
  • Calculus (2 semesters)
  • Statistics (1 semester)
  • Multivariable calculus
  • Differential equations
  • Linear algebra

Am I interpreting this correctly: If you are not competent in three or more of the courses listed you will not get a secondary ???

+1... ugh this is such a monster secondary. What program/software are you guys using to make a collage? Last time (20 years ago) I made one I just used clippings from magazines... I’m guessing that’s not what they are looking for lol

I know, I'm struggling. I'm not the best with graphic design but for lab presentations, I always just use powerpoint LOL because it's easy to rearrange things and add graphics. I'm assuming something in the Adobe suite like Illustrator would be more useful... but I also doubt they are expecting a crazy user experience

Reactions: 1 users
Can I ask what your math experience is? I'm worried about not getting a secondary because I only took 1 semester of calc and never took linear algebra.
I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are. They might ask you to have other sorts of advanced coursework?

I was an engineer so I took all the calcs and lin algebra + differential equations and such

Am I interpreting this correctly: If you are not competent in three or more of the courses listed you will not get a secondary ???
Yes, that is how I interpreted it. However, you don't necessarily have to have specific coursework on your transcript. They take professional experiences, self taught or online courses....etc.

I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are. They might ask you to have other sorts of advanced coursework?

I was an engineer so I took all the calcs and lin algebra + differential equations and such
See above for suggested competencies. I'm just concerned because while I covered the topics in other courses, I don't have a significant math background (compared to engineering students who take like 3 years of calculus).

I know, I'm struggling. I'm not the best with graphic design but for lab presentations, I always just use powerpoint LOL because it's easy to rearrange things and add graphics. I'm assuming something in the Adobe suite like Illustrator would be more useful... but I also doubt they are expecting a crazy user experience
There's something in powerpoint-I'm not sure exactly what you'd call it. A format? Template? Anyway it allows you to create specialized projects, such as posters for scientific presentations. I've used it in in the past for my poster presentations, and so have my peers. That would likely be useful in this situation.

Count me out lol (didn't take multivariate calculus, diff eq, and lin alg in undergrad)
Good luck with everyone applying here!

• Sad
To be fair, I didn't fill it out (just pressed submit) and I still got a secondary a few hours later. Don't count yourself out yet!
PS I've still got to fill the competencies out

Count me out lol (didn't take multivariate calculus, diff eq, and lin alg in undergrad)
Good luck with everyone applying here!

Yeah probably wise. Even the article about the girl that wasn't an engineer that got in, she had to take diff eq and lin algebra because she was at MIT. IMHO that's kinda sadistic to make non-engineers take those classes

luckily I took lin algebra and calc my freshman year. but I did not take diff eq..

luckily I took lin algebra and calc my freshman year. but I did not take diff eq..
Differential equations are covered in calculus classes though-that should count based on what their website says.

Just got a secondary! Very relieved, wasn't sure I would since I don't have a lot of advanced math.

I'm reapplying and I just did the video essay. It was so difficult to talk to a screen and hard to fit everything in just 1 minute per question. I was cringing so hard watching the playback when it was over. Hard to fit much of a description in the 100 words per written questions too. Not very optimistic about my chances of getting accepted...
What sort of questions did they ask?

yeah, I'm really considering not applying... my collage skills are 1/10... they have developed a good system to limit the number of applicants

yeah, I'm really considering not applying... my collage skills are 1/10... they have developed a good system to limit the number of applicants

Mine looks like it's straight out of reddit.com/r/starterpacks . Totally agree with you about limiting the # of applicants though between the collage and video essay. Probably better this way because there class size is so small.

Btw does anyone know if the gender ratio is 50/50 here? My MSAR expired.

• Haha
Mine looks like it's straight out of reddit.com/r/starterpacks . Totally agree with you about limiting the # of applicants though between the collage and video essay. Probably better this way because there class size is so small.

Yeah last year was 16/16

YES. I hate when schools have more males in the class when the applicant pool is 50/50 or 50+ female.

YES. I hate when schools have more males in the class when the applicant pool is 50/50 or 50+ female.

I don't mind if it deviates a little but thought I'd ask just to be sure since they're looking for engineers (disproportionately male) and the class size is really small. I'm glad to see that it's even

Haven't taken mult calc, lin alg, or diff eq, so probably won't get the secondary. Honestly this secondary is so weird, idk if I even want it lol. Good luck to everyone applying!

I hate how the secondary says not to submit until letters of rec are in but I'm still waiting for my committee letter :'(

Crazy math requirements here. Man you gotta be some kinda genius to apply to this school...
I’m baggin it
Good luck to the rest of you nerds

• Haha

Is the artifact/collage supposed to be multiple things for a single experience? I included multiple experiences, but with only 100 words it seems a bit disjointed...

Crazy math requirements here. Man you gotta be some kinda genius to apply to this school...
I’m baggin it
Good luck to the rest of you nerds
Never thought high school calculus would pay off, but here we are!

You guys are gonna be so busy with this secondary compared to other schools. Man that secondary is a MONSTER hahaahaha

Bit the bullet and did the dang thing. I figured I am worth about $20 an hour so I could spend 5 hours working on this since the secondary is free... Cut me off mid-sentence in the video though :lol:

Bit the bullet and did the dang thing. I figured I am worth about $20 an hour so I could spend 5 hours working on this since the secondary is free... Cut me off mid-sentence in the video though :lol:

Totally botched that last question and tried to wrap everything up in 10 seconds haha

Anybody receive their secondary later? Like this week? I still haven't received mine and I'm getting ready to send a friendly reminder.

Hold up, do these guys not take applicants who don't have Lin Alg or Dif Eq?? I received the secondary 12 days ago and didn't look at it until now. On it, it says "applicant requirements not met, you will not be able to submit a secondary application".

Yes it’s an engineering medical school. if You don’t have all the maths necessary for an engineering degree then you can’t apply.

You don't have to have taken Lin Alg or Dif Eq. You can use something else to fulfill the requirements (like work experience, etc.), but I'm not sure how many people actually have that or how difficult that is.

Yes it’s an engineering medical school. if You don’t have all the maths necessary for an engineering degree then you can’t apply.

Oh boy good to know. Idk how I overlooked that when looking at MSAR...

Hold up, do these guys not take applicants who don't have Lin Alg or Dif Eq?? I received the secondary 12 days ago and didn't look at it until now. On it, it says "applicant requirements not met, you will not be able to submit a secondary application".
Where does it say that for you?