2021-2022 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today! Attended yesterday's showcases.

Non trad, 510, 3.4x mol bio undergrad, CS masters

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a status update on the portal stating I was admitted, but my showcase is not until tomorrow 😂 It’s gotta be a mistake, right?
The showcase is not evaluated and is not part of your application, so I doubt it's a mistake! Congrats!!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they only sent out a small portion of acceptance so far, or are they almost done with the first round of offers.😥

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to all acceptances. One quick question: Are there any applicants whose showcases are in the middle to late February having already received the acceptance right now? Thank you.
Yes! My showcase is in February but I got accepted yesterday. Submitted early September.

Does anyone know if they only sent out a small portion of acceptance so far, or are they almost done with the first round of offers.😥
^^^^^^Did anyone receive more info regarding this during their showcase?

^^^^^^Did anyone receive more info regarding this during their showcase?
"From December through early March, our finalist subcommittee will meet frequently."

The time frame they gave during my showcase was late Feb/early March, so it sounds like they're ahead of schedule! But I highly doubt they would be done after 1 batch of acceptances.

Reactions: 4 users
The day before I had my student showcase and then the next day (yesterday) I was admitted! I was literally singing the praises for this school! Super excited about this! I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR! It has been a long time in the making. Since I have yet to have my faculty showcase, I too was wondering whether the showcase was evaluative. At this moment, I don't think so.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
"From December through early March, our finalist subcommittee will meet frequently."

The time frame they gave during my showcase was late Feb/early March, so it sounds like they're ahead of schedule! But I highly doubt they would be done after 1 batch of acceptances.
Just to add to this, over the past few years the number of applications to Carle has been around 2500. That means ~250 people got invited to the showcase to fill 64 seats this year. I'm not sure what the acceptance to matriculant ratio is, but it's likely to be at least 2:1 (I personally think it's probably higher than this). So there is a good chance at least half the people invited to the showcase will receive an offer. There's plenty of time left for many offers to go out.

Just to add to this, over the past few years the number of applications to Carle has been around 2500. That means ~250 people got invited to the showcase to fill 64 seats this year. I'm not sure what the acceptance to matriculant ratio is, but it's likely to be at least 2:1 (I personally think it's probably higher than this). So there is a good chance at least half the people invited to the showcase will receive an offer. There's plenty of time left for many offers to go out.
Last year, they received a total of 2830 applications based on MSAR. And I think they invited more than 250 people this year, because there were 13 other applicants during my showcases session (*36 session). Either they received a lot more applications than last year, or they sent out showcase invites to more than 10% of the applicants.

Overall, I think you're over optimistic although I hope you're right :)

Last year, they received a total of 2830 applications based on MSAR. And I think they invited more than 250 people this year, because there were 13 other applicants during my showcases session (*36 session). Either they received a lot more applications than last year, or they sent out showcase invites to more than 10% of the applicants.

This year, Carle had 2471 applications. Can't say exactly how many showcase invites were sent out, but I don't think they would stray that far from the 10% to offer 468 showcase invites (nearly 19%). Maybe the sessions toward the beginning filled up to capacity while later sessions remained relatively empty? Can only speculate.

For more data beyond the MSAR, I think you would find the AAMC Facts website interesting: 2021 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data
Table A-1 has the applications per school.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I still haven't gotten a showcase inv yet, does that I mean i was quietly rejected?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This year, Carle had 2471 applications. Can't say exactly how many showcase invites were sent out, but I don't think they would stray that far from the 10% to offer 468 showcase invites (nearly 19%). Maybe the sessions toward the beginning filled up to capacity while later sessions remained relatively empty? Can only speculate.

For more data beyond the MSAR, I think you would find the AAMC Facts website interesting: 2021 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data
Table A-1 has the applications per school.
This is great info and based on that it's possible that Carle had <2471 secondary applications assuming every applicant didn't complete their secondary application (based on past few years data) since those are the people typically invited to the showcase. So, it's possible that <247 people were invited for the showcase. I'm not sure what the exact applicant to matriculant stats are but here's to hoping there are more acceptances to be released before March 15

The higher y'all make the estimate for the acceptance rate, the worse... cuz it'll hurt even more if I don't get in .. *sniffle*

• Sad
Oh not at all! If anything, I feel like they may have received fewer complete applications (people with completed competency checklist + extraordinary secondary). Yet, this is just a hunch. There could be many reasons as to why they are changing things up this cycle and I should not speculate ....

This year, Carle had 2471 applications. Can't say exactly how many showcase invites were sent out, but I don't think they would stray that far from the 10% to offer 468 showcase invites (nearly 19%). Maybe the sessions toward the beginning filled up to capacity while later sessions remained relatively empty? Can only speculate. ...
Just checked the fact sheet in the link, very interesting data. I had a hunch that this was the case, as I had shared it here back in early December (quoted). I also the think the true number of showcase invites are somewhere between the numbers you both have mentioned (neither 250 or 468 per se). Conservatively, I would guess the true number probably lies somewhere between 280 to 320, which is somewhat close enough to the 10% they put on their showcase website. Considering acceptance to matriculation ratio (which I think ~2:1 is a decent guesstimate), I think everyone who got a showcase invite has a decent (conservatively ~35-45%) chance of getting in either at the end of initial round of acceptances or later from the waitlist.

On another point, based off of previous years' threads , I think they're currently meeting on Wednesdays and determine who gets accepted, waitlisted and who will be rejected.

Last edited:
Just checked the fact sheet in the link, very interesting data. I had a hunch that this was the case, as I had shared it here back in early December (quoted). I also the think the true number of showcase invites are somewhere between the numbers you both have mentioned (neither 250 or 468 per se). Conservatively, I would probably guess the true number probably lies somewhere between 280 to 320, which is somewhat close enough to the 10% they put on their showcase website. Considering acceptance to matriculation ratio (which I think ~2:1 is a decent guesstimate), I think everyone who got a showcase invite has a decent (conservatively ~35-45%) chance of getting in either at the end of initial round of acceptances or later from the waitlist.

On another point, based off of previous years' threads , I think they're currently meeting on Wednesdays and determine who gets accepted, waitlisted and who will be rejected.
meeting on Wednesdays and sending out decisions on?

During today's showcase, the staff told us they only sent out a very small portion of acceptances. There are still a lot of seats left. Phew....

• Love
During today's showcase, the staff told us they only sent out a very small portion of acceptances. There are still a lot of seats left. Phew....
thank god. Does anybody else debate, in their head, the likelihood of getting in, lol?

Last edited:
thank god. Does anybody else debate, in their head, the likelihood of getting in, lol?
Ngl, I am not too worried about the chances of getting in or not. I don't know whether I should be. I'm just hoping that they've seen from my application that I would be a great fit for the school (and vice-versa). I think at this point, it's a matter of school's mission, vision and values fit rather than people's LM scores or WARS scores. I hope they get to truly see all of us through our application.

• Love
Congrats on all of the acceptances!!

I have a couple of questions -- does anyone think it would be worth it to visit the campus to check things out over this coming spring break (March 2022)? I'm OOS and haven't applied yet but my father and grandfather are both alums of the UIUC campus (not SOM obviously) so it would be partly about showing me around for fun and partly about Carle. The website says they aren't actively organizing anything on campus for potential students, but could it be possible to find a med student willing to show us around the medical part of the campus? Would it be worth it to reach out to admissions to see if they are meeting students in-person (if they're in the area) for questions? My dad's mostly just looking for an excuse to do something over break but I figured I would check.

Last edited:
Congrats on all of the acceptances!!

I have a couple of questions -- does anyone think it would be worth it to visit the campus to check things out over this coming spring break (March 2022)? I'm OOS but my father and grandfather are both alums of the UIUC campus (not SOM obviously) so it would be partly about showing me around for fun and partly about Carle. The website says they aren't actively organizing anything on campus for potential students, but could it be possible to find a med student willing to show us around the medical part of the campus? Would it be worth it to reach out to admissions to see if they are meeting students in-person (if they're in the area) for questions? My dad's mostly just looking for an excuse to do something over break but I figured I would check.
The Showcase website on the "What's Next?" page indicates they plan on hosting in-person events for Second Look. Do you have information more recent that indicates they are unable to hold these events in-person? If they are holding Second Look in-person I think that would be the best time for you to learn about Carle Illinois and its campus.
We will have two in-person Second Look weekends for accepted applicants (April 1-2 and April 22-23). At Second Look, accepted applicants will tour campus, meet faculty and students, socialize with each other, participate in problem-based learning, and learn more about financial, housing, and onboarding details.

The Showcase website on the "What's Next?" page indicates they plan on hosting in-person events for Second Look. Do you have information more recent that indicates they are unable to hold these events in-person? If they are holding Second Look in-person I think that would be the best time for you to learn about Carle Illinois and its campus.
Oh I should clarify--I haven't been accepted or even applied yet.

Oh I should clarify--I haven't been accepted or even applied yet.
I think it's a great question to ask admissions. They will be able to tell you whether you would have access to the facilities you may be interested in seeing and whether they can help facilitate connecting you with a current student.

I think it's a great question to ask admissions. They will be able to tell you whether you would have access to the facilities you may be interested in seeing and whether they can help facilitate connecting you with a current student.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you!

Do you guys think they will send out more offers tomorrow afternoon?

• Care
guysss i talked to Dr. Few. She said last Friday that in the next 10 days they'll meet to decide if they will send out more showcase invites. BUT, she said most likely not. Don't know what to do with that information. What do you guys think? Maybe if people who got accepted don't enroll as much as they thought, they will decide to send out more to fill the seats?

• Sad
guysss i talked to Dr. Few. She said last Friday that in the next 10 days they'll meet to decide if they will send out more showcase invites. BUT, she said most likely not. Don't know what to do with that information. What do you guys think? Maybe if people who got accepted don't enroll as much as they thought, they will decide to send out more to fill the seats?
Did she mention sending out more acceptance or showcase invites because someone said barely any acceptance were sent out yet

Did she mention sending out more acceptance or showcase invites because someone said barely any acceptance were sent out yet
She said more showcases. But then she also kept saying they will meet to decide it this week, but MOST LIKELY will not send any. So I am not sure why she mentioned it in the first place. I did not talk to her about acceptances, cuz I did not receive a showcase invite this year.

I think it’s likely, given that a lot of showcase sessions were not completely filled. I can see at least 7 sessions that are open with available seats on my showcase reservation portal. I don’t know how to interpret that data though. My guess is that there were some candidates withdrawing their applications after receiving the showcase invites, creating some vacancy, and now they’re deciding if they want to lower the showcase score threshold to fill those vacancy. But even if they decide not to send out more showcase invites, I’m pretty confident they still will have more than enough stellar candidates to fill all 64 seats for the incoming class.

I believe the original words I heard from the staff during my showcase this Monday is “we only sent out a minimal number of acceptances for the first round.” On a second thought, I’m not sure what does “minimal” and “first round” actually stand for. I also remember she said they’re still in the middle of grading everyone’s application and this can take a while to get done.

As far as how grading process works, two faculty reviewers read the application independently, and each gives a score to the application. If the two scores are close enough (small std) and reach a certain cutoff score (they gradually lower cutoff overtime), they will then send your app to admission committee for a vote. If two scores differ by a lot, they will send the application to a third faculty to re-evaluate again (which is likely why a lot of us still haven’t heard back). On average, they spend ~5 hours on every application before making the final decision. Once they finalize everyone’s score, they will make a distribution plot and accept/waitlist/deny people based on that distribution. I think for people who were already accepted, admission office must be very confident that they will still be the top X% after everyone’s score is finalized.

Hope this helps. I was super impressed by how transparent they were.

Last edited:
Rejected too! Good luck to everyone else! You all are amazing and will become amazing doctors!

• Care
Rejected as well. Hope those invited to the showcases do well!

• Care
Friend got the A this morning. Seems like it's not just Wednesdays :)

no one else reported an A on sdn though, so maybe they send out very small batches of A's at a time. let's keep our hopes up kings

• Care
Another quiet Wednesday.....;)

If I remember correctly, I thought I read somewhere/was told that the bulk of acceptances was supposed to go out late February/early March.

If I remember correctly, I thought I read somewhere/was told that the bulk of acceptances was supposed to go out late February/early March.
same thats what they told me during the showcase but then was surprised when a few got As two weeks ago

On their website it says, "Feb 19, 2022 Accepted applicants should update the Carle Illinois status page and AAMC’s Choose Your Medical School (CYMS). (We anticipate few offers will be made before February of 2022.) "

I assume this means they expect to send out all first round offers before Feb 19th?