2022-2023 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @pinkpack1234 for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Southern Illinois Secondary Essay Prompts
  1. SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and service to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission? (300 words)
  2. To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultivating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment. (500 words)
  3. If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application. Please limit your answer to (300 words or less)
  4. If you have any type of felony, misdemeanor, or misconduct on campus, they also ask you to explain this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything yet? I know they heavily screen before sending secondaries but have not received a notification of primary application received like previous years were given. (Central/Southern IL resident)

Just received acknowledgement of my primary! It says about 6 weeks for review to see if secondary will be sent

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe they were the exact same as last year!
  1. SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and service to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission? (300 words)
  2. To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultivating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment. (500 words)
  3. If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application. Please limit your answer to 300 words or less.
  4. If you have any type of felony, misdemeanor, or misconduct on campus, they also ask you to explain this.
@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if we get any communication after submitting our secondary and mailing our check? That was complete for me last week and hadn't heard anything. Thanks!

I still have not received a secondary from Southern Illinois yet, and I am getting worried. I am from southern Illinois, so they are my number one pick. Does anyone know if they are still extending secondaries out?

I still have not received a secondary from Southern Illinois yet, and I am getting worried. I am from southern Illinois, so they are my number one pick. Does anyone know if they are still extending secondaries out?
I am sure they are! it is really early. They also let people know if they don't get one according to previous threads. When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure they are! it is really early. They also let people know if they don't get one according to previous threads. When were you complete?
Well I got a notification on July 1st that they received my AMCAS application. Around mid-July, they were awaiting my MCAT score (which was released mid-July, and I notified them right when it was released). They responded that my application has gone under review, but since then, I have not heard anything.

This waiting period is stressful :(

Well I got a notification on July 1st that they received my AMCAS application. Around mid-July, they were awaiting my MCAT score (which was released mid-July, and I notified them right when it was released). They responded that my application has gone under review, but since then, I have not heard anything.

This waiting period is stressful :(
it took them about 3 weeks for them to give me one after going under review. this period really is difficult but I wouldn't be too stressed right now because it does take them a while! I am also from Southern IL (Murphy/Carbondale) and this is also my first choice so I understand! If you didn't know, you also have to mail a check so to speed things up for the secondary process so i'd have that ready if that applies to you (that cost me a day after I received mine).

it took them about 3 weeks for them to give me one after going under review. this period really is difficult but I wouldn't be too stressed right now because it does take them a while! I am also from Southern IL (Murphy/Carbondale) and this is also my first choice so I understand! If you didn't know, you also have to mail a check so to speed things up for the secondary process so i'd have that ready if that applies to you (that cost me a day after I received mine).
You have to mail a check? Is it the secondary application fee?

yep! they require the fee by mail. no online option. I mailed mine to the place listed on the secondary!
Huh that's kind of weird. But thank you for the advice! It makes me feel a little better.

Huh that's kind of weird. But thank you for the advice! It makes me feel a little better
yeah it def is stressing me out because their is no portal and I just mailed it to their PO box lol. but I'm going to reach out soon and make sure they got it because it has been like a week and a half and I have no clue if it made it lol

yeah it def is stressing me out because their is no portal and I just mailed it to their PO box lol. but I'm going to reach out soon and make sure they got it because it has been like a week and a half and I have no clue if it made it lol
I just checked my bank account and saw it got cashed lol so that’s another way to check I think!

I just got out on a “screener’s hold.” Is this a soft R?

Just got an II! Good luck everyone and looks like interviews are all in person this year.

I just got out on a “screener’s hold.” Is this a soft R?
Yes, I applied here last year and got put on the screener's alternate and never heard back. People who have had interviews there told them that they haven't accepted someone off the screener's alternate in over a decade. Idk why I reapplied, they're obviously looking for a very specific type of applicant other than just living in southern Illinois.

Did those who have received interviews get any sort of application complete email after submitting secondary?

Any updates recently from anyone who submitted secondary? Seems pretty quiet here for now

Nothing from me submitted secondary 2 weeks ago

When I completed my secondary, I received an email with a copy of all of my responses. I had to reach out to ensure they got the check. Perhaps writing them an Email to ensure they received your payment and secondary responses will help.

Did those who have received interviews get any sort of application complete email after submitting secondary?

I did not hear anything until I got an interview! Got it about a 1 1/2 after submitting secondary on day received.

Then I filled out a form with day availability and it took then a 1 1/2 weeks to get back to me. I got no confirmation for this either. I’m interviewing soon (next 1-3 weeks, don’t want to be too specific because of privacy)

Secondary application received. Application acknowledged as complete August 1st. In-State, from Northern Illinois.

I got a secondary invite today, any idea how good this means? Higher interview rates?

Any connections to central/southern Illinois? I'm also from up north
Not really any connections regarding family and/or upbringing. The state school I attended was in central Illinois, and is where my extracurriculars that I wrote on my primary were centered around.

Not really any connections regarding family and/or upbringing. The state school I attended was in central Illinois, and is where my extracurriculars that I wrote on my primary were centered around.
Same case as me. Congratulations on the secondary! Hoping to hear back soon too.

Hell yeah! I tried to write the best I could w/o any solid connections to central/southern Illinois. I’m from south side Chicago, so very underserved.
From reading previous threads, SIU considers any region south of I-80 as part of central Illinois, so depending on which south suburb you permanently reside in, you may have a stronger chance. Good luck!

South side Chicago in the city to be more specific * Good luck to you as well! Do you know how long after secondary do they give you an II?

II invite today! Took around 3 weeks after submission of secondary for those wondering