2021-2022 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the information about the Carle-Illinois Secondary application, which you will be sent if you pass their pre-req checklist.
Please upload one, 1-page artifact (as a PDF; formatted no larger than 8.5x11") per value (Compassion, Curiosity, Creativity). While images, certificates, text or other visual options are allowed, hyperlinks and embedded videos are prohibited. You are encouraged to include multiple examples (i.e. a collage) to demonstrate your qualifications and achievements, and you may repeat experiences listed on your AMCAS application or include new ones.

1. Compassion
We believe in creating physicians who, in addition to solving healthcare's most complex problems, are also tender, kind, and warm. From day one, you will be working with patients.
Show Us -
How have you changed the lives of others? What have you experienced that has fostered a deep sense of compassion? For example, have you had a moving volunteer experience? Worked in a difficult environment? Taken care of others? Have you learned through adversity and shared those lessons with others in need? Help us see how you will be the type of physician we would entrust with our most beloved community members.
Tell Us -
In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Compassion. For your time commitment in hours please tell us the time spent on the activities presented in the artifact, not the time to create the artifact itself. For your level of commitment were you a group participant, a project leader, an idea initiator, doing this activity independently?

2. Curiosity
Carle Illinois College of Medicine values lifelong learners. We want to see your passion for learning and growing!
Show Us - Curiosity is a strong desire to know or learn something. Have you explored new interests, cultures, or people? Or has your curiosity grown in a particular area? Did your curiosity lead to a research project? or a hobby? or a change at work? Let us see where your curiosity has taken you.

Tell Us - In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Curiosity. For your time commitment in hours please tell us the time spent on the activities presented in the artifact, not the time to create the artifact itself. For your level of commitment were you a group participant, a project leader, an idea initiator, doing this activity independently?

3. Creativity
Have you approached complex problems with dynamic thinking and creative solutions? Or do you show your creativity through hobbies, or artistic interests? or something else entirely? Help us see your creativity!

Show Us - Creativity is the use of the imagination or original ideas. What are you really proud of? Have you used technology in novel or distinct ways? What innovative solutions have you employed in your work, healthcare, hobbies, life. Describe how you live and lead a creative life.

Tell Us - In 100 words or less, explain how your artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Creativity. For your time commitment in hours please tell us the time spent on the activities presented in the artifact, not the time to create the artifact itself. For your level of commitment were you a group participant, a project leader, an idea initiator, doing this activity independently?

4. There is also a video essay:

After our faculty reviewers have thoroughly examined all of your other application materials (portfolio, letters of recommendation, AMCAS application) they will turn to your video essay. Answering questions through a video platform may be new to you. Don’t worry. While we take your responses very seriously, this is a small portion of the evaluation process. The purpose of the video essay is to pose questions to you that allow you to share more about yourself, including how you think "on your feet", and to give us an opportunity to learn more about your style, thought process, and personality.

You will have just one opportunity to record your answers. When the recording starts, the questions will remain on the screen and you will have five minutes (300 seconds) to provide responses for each realm. In order to pace your response, you will see a countdown clock (in seconds) running in the bottom right corner of the video capture. You will respond to all questions in one recording, so please state the question number before each answer. If you finish early, you may click "Stop Recording," or the recording will stop at five minutes. Your video will automatically attach to your secondary application.

In summary, you will have:
  • One question in each of three separate realms
  • Five minutes of preparation time
  • Five minutes to record one video for all questions
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS Secondary Received! Unfortunately the checklist link they give seems to redirect to the general admissions website? The Apply Now button on that page just redirects to AMCAS. Not sure what's going on...
You gotta complete the checklist first. They look at it and decide if they are going to send you their secondary.

Nevermind then, I don't have a secondary invitation after all, just a Competency Checklist Invitation.

That being said, the page containing the checklist seems to immediately redirect away. Any luck with this?
No worries -- You will receive their secondary if you meet 9 out of 11 their prereqs. So it's pretty much the same as getting one! I just wanted to clarify it because I did not want you to look for their prompts and get confused.

I clicked on the "complete your checklist" hyperlink and had no issue completing it. Maybe try another browser? I used Google Chrome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just did it on my phone. iPhone and it works. Maybe try that? Rotating ur phone shows full course names for the pull down menus

For my other reapplicants, does the drop down menu not include coursework that you took since the previous cycle? Mine only displays my planned coursework from the 2021 app which inevitably changed because of COVID and scheduling difficulties.

Yeah thats an L Ive never done multi linear algebra or whatever so I didn't meet it lol

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting the pre-req checklist? I did not and just wanted to confirm!

Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting the pre-req checklist? I did not and just wanted to confirm!
no don't worry. I got my secondary ~12 hrs later after submitting my checklist.

I'm pretty lost on this secondary. Are people using actual personal photos for the collages? Or can we use images from online, and if so, how would we cite them on the secondary?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for Carle to send out their secondary after the competency checklist? I had to select option 4 for one of the competencies and uploaded the documents, so I understand it goes through competency review first but just curious to know the estimated turnaround? Submitted the checklist on July 17th but never got the 'checklist complete' email or the secondary.

Is there anything else after submitting the secondary and the video essay? the portal doesn't show much after that.

Not gonna lie. This secondary is kinda fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
So for the 1 page artifacts, can I just have a few pictures with captions underneath? Kinda confused on how to approach this lol

So for the 1 page artifacts, can I just have a few pictures with captions underneath? Kinda confused on how to approach this lol

That's kinda what I did. Honestly, I think what you did really matters more.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for Carle to send out their secondary after the competency checklist? I had to select option 4 for one of the competencies and uploaded the documents, so I understand it goes through competency review first but just curious to know the estimated turnaround? Submitted the checklist on July 17th but never got the 'checklist complete' email or the secondary.
Submitted 7/18 with one option 4 selected, still no secondary

Should've just said I wasn't competent in the subject since they're only looking for 9 out of 11 lol

Reactions: 1 users
Hi has anyone submitted the secondary yet? The video essay was rough, I couldn't finish the last question :'(

Are they planning to take more students this year? Their class size is on the lower side from MSAR.

I'm planning to submit this secondary this week and I had a question about it. When you do the video essay and it finishes, do you have no choice but to send your secondary to the school? Like if I really didn't like my video essay, could I just decide not to submit?

I'm planning to submit this secondary this week and I had a question about it. When you do the video essay and it finishes, do you have no choice but to send your secondary to the school? Like if I really didn't like my video essay, could I just decide not to submit?
You don't have an option to re-record the video essay, but it just fills in that section of the secondary. If you don't want to submit the secondary, you don't have to, but you can't submit the secondary without including the video essay. It is a free secondary to submit though.

Just to be sure: should our deadline be Sunday, August 15, we can submit our secondary by August 15 at 11:59p, correct?

Can someone give an overview of what video essays questions are like?/how to prepare for them?

Can someone give an overview of what video essays questions are like?/how to prepare for them?
Very related to their three principles! I would say have some stories in mind that exhibit yourself and the way you see the world and practice quick prepping - seeing a question and then taking a minute to sketch out your response

Are we allowed to use images from the internet to tell our stories? Or do they have to be our own?

Does anyone know of any schools that are similar to Carle in that they have an interest in students who engineering/math/finance focused?

Any II's!!!
They don't interview haha.

From their website:
"We do not do in-person interviews. We do have an invitation only virtual event for our most competitive applicants. These showcase events do not include any evaluation of the applicants; however, applicants are expected to be professional as part of the process."

Can anyone confirm whether the class of 2026 (matriculating next year) will qualify for federal student loans if attending Carle? My understanding is that being so new and having conditional accreditation means current Carle students are unable to take out federal loans. But, with match results due for their first year class during the spring of 2022, and assuming match rates are good enough for full accreditation--would Carle students qualify for federal loans beginning fall of 2022? This topic is a non-negotiable deal breaker for many of us.

They don't interview haha.

From their website:
"We do not do in-person interviews. We do have an invitation only virtual event for our most competitive applicants. These showcase events do not include any evaluation of the applicants; however, applicants are expected to be professional as part of the process."
Do you know if they sent those invitations or not?

If you received their secondary application then you more or less completed the interview, since it included an asynchronous video upload of yourself answering prompted questions with a timer. The virtual event invitations are sent out to a subset of those who completed the secondary application. To my knowledge, no one has yet received a virtual event invitation.

I am not too sure.

But I looked at last year's thread, and it seems like they are going to send out their first batch of invites within 2-3 weeks. For your reference, Carle held their first showcase on Oct. 12th during the 2020 cycle, and people got their invites for the first one during 09/24~09/28.

Can anyone confirm whether the class of 2026 (matriculating next year) will qualify for federal student loans if attending Carle? My understanding is that being so new and having conditional accreditation means current Carle students are unable to take out federal loans. But, with match results due for their first year class during the spring of 2022, and assuming match rates are good enough for full accreditation--would Carle students qualify for federal loans beginning fall of 2022? This topic is a non-negotiable deal breaker for many of us.
Hello Petomed, I am a student at Carle Illinois. I would like to help clarify that Carle students are indeed eligible for federal loans by submitting FAFSA. Please refer to medicine.illinois.edu > Admissions > Tuitions, Fees, and Scholarships for more information.

Good luck to everyone on the application cycle!

Does anyone know when they will send out invites for the showcase? Last year they sent them out September 24th.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when they will send out invites for the showcase? Last year they sent them out September 24th.
+1 I'm worried about this too...have they already been sent? Because if so I didn't receive one :(

If they'd gone out already someone would have posted about it on here... Last year they sent out 3 rounds of 100, so even if the first round had gone out already there would still be 200 more showcase spots. No need to panic! That being said, I imagine the first round of invites should be coming out any day now if they're following the same general timeline as last year.

Reactions: 2 users
Apologies if this is commonly held knowledge but does anyone know what their provisional accreditation status means? Will this have any effect on residency match?

This might be helpful!

Does anyone know if they have sent any rejections as of yet? I keep telling myself no news is good news.. LOL!!

anybody else extremely excited about this school and feeling very anxious during this waiting period for showcase invites?

Reactions: 4 users
yeah this school definitely seems really awesome, and I loved doing their secondary. I'd cry if I get an invite
Yes! I applied back when the school first opened and had a showcase invite then...but it was far fewer applications at that time. Hopeful for an invite this time around.

Yes! I applied back when the school first opened and had a showcase invite then...but it was far fewer applications at that time. Hopeful for an invite this time around.
same boat!