2020-2021 Carle Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Carle-Illinois College of Medicine (Coming Soon!)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied here for the 2019-2020 cycle as sort of a "safety school" because I figured they don't get a lot of applicants (new school and engineering-focused) and the secondary was free. It ended up becoming my #1 choice

Reactions: 1 users
I applied here for the 2019-2020 cycle as sort of a "safety school" because I figured they don't get a lot of applicants (new school and engineering-focused) and the secondary was free. It ended up becoming my #1 choice
If you don't mind me asking, are you an accepted MD or re-applying?

Also as an IL resident with a more engineering-focused background, I'm super excited to be applying here!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. I haven't started school yet but I can tell you that the other admitted students I've met are very intelligent people. I think we have 3 people with PhDs out of a class size of 48. 90% are engineering majors and the rest seem to be chemistry. Many have worked in engineering-related fields after undergrad

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an email for the prereq screen before secondary.

Edit: Secondary also received same day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my screen around noon, no secondary yet

Edit: Secondary received! So excited for this school

Last edited:
FYI for anyone else this applies to, got an email from them today saying they will not send secondaries until MCAT score is received

Got my secondary yesterday; OOS. This is a very interesting secondary, anyone know if they literally mean make a general collage with pictures from the internet (is that allowed) and personal photos? I'm not entirely sure how to approach it.

Got my secondary yesterday; OOS. This is a very interesting secondary, anyone know if they literally mean make a general collage with pictures from the internet (is that allowed) and personal photos? I'm not entirely sure how to approach it.
I took it as more personal- pictures you’ve taken, designs etc. I am using a pic of a building though lol.

Has anyone who filled out their checklist not had every class? I'm planning to take statistics (just enrolled in an online course for the fall) but don't have linear algebra or -I think the other one was discrete methods- nor do I plan to take either of these.

Has anyone who filled out their checklist not had every class? I'm planning to take statistics (just enrolled in an online course for the fall) but don't have linear algebra or -I think the other one was discrete methods- nor do I plan to take either of these.

You have to meet 9/11 competencies to be offered a secondary. If linear algebra and differential equations are the only two classes you haven't taken, then you should be okay to get a secondary!

You have to meet 9/11 competencies to be offered a secondary. If linear algebra and differential equations are the only two classes you haven't taken, then you should be okay to get a secondary!

Oh awesome thanks!

I took it as more personal- pictures you’ve taken, designs etc. I am using a pic of a building though lol.
Yeah, I kind of did a mix of personal photos, logos, and text. This is so new to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
How big are you guys scaling everything? Should it be legible if it was printed (size 12 font, etc)?

How big are you guys scaling everything? Should it be legible if it was printed (size 12 font, etc)?
I'm treating it as a flyer to market myself (catering to each value), so I would make any text as large and visible as possible.

that video essay was rough... I stumbled through it and still couldn't finish the answer to the last question.

• Sad
Secondary just received.

In case this info helps anyone: Started college as engineering major and switched to Bio.

I completely ran out of time on the video essay to answer the last question, I looked so calm and professional on the first two and then *boom it was over. FML this was one of my favorite schools. Any past year accepted people wanna tell me how good you have to be on that.

Does anyone know the stats of the people they've accepted? I was a bio major, nothing engineering-y about me except I took calc III for fun. I don't want to NOT finish the secondary in case this would've been the only A I get, but on the other hand I just don't know that I'm a good fit for the school...

Does anyone know the stats of the people they've accepted? I was a bio major, nothing engineering-y about me except I took calc III for fun. I don't want to NOT finish the secondary in case this would've been the only A I get, but on the other hand I just don't know that I'm a good fit for the school...
You should check out their instagram, @carleillinoismed. They post fairly often about the makeup of their student body, and even do a lot of individual profiles on students. IIRC a vast majority of their students thus far have been in engineering, but as long as you were comfortable with the math prereqs you should be fine.

I completely ran out of time on the video essay to answer the last question, I looked so calm and professional on the first two and then *boom it was over. FML this was one of my favorite schools. Any past year accepted people wanna tell me how good you have to be on that.
This happened to me too. Finished one and two gracefully, then saw that I had fifteen seconds left for question three! Barely got one sentence in. It is what it is, we did our best!

This happened to me too. Finished one and two gracefully, then saw that I had fifteen seconds left for question three! Barely got one sentence in. It is what it is, we did our best!
Wait does it not give you separate time for each question? It's just a running video? Oooof maybe I'll have to put an extra large timer up on my screen or something

@igriffin I put like 5/6 small things in each but some overlapped w the other artifacts!

does anyone know if "please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below" means the time commitment for the activities or for each artifact itself? thank you!!

@igriffin I put like 5/6 small things in each but some overlapped w the other artifacts!

does anyone know if "please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below" means the time commitment for the activities or for each artifact itself? thank you!!
I thought it was activities which made guessing hours next to impossible lol.

Do you think it makes a difference if the collages are submitted landscape instead of portrait? It's still the same size sheet of paper if they want to print them out.

Do you think it makes a difference if the collages are submitted landscape instead of portrait? It's still the same size sheet of paper if they want to print them out.

Somewhere on a video on their YouTube, one of their people said they don't actually print them out. You should be ok!

Admitted students - thoughts on not having collages? I’m leaning towards just using one meaningful artifact per prompt, but I don’t want to limit my experiences either

I just realized they reduced it from 250 words for each artifact (last year's prompt) to 100 words :cryi: time to demolish the mini-essays I wrote

How much time do you get total to answer all 3?

Somewhere on a video on their YouTube, one of their people said they don't actually print them out. You should be ok!
I emailed last week and went ahead and submitted it because it had been a couple of days since then, and I just wanted to get it over with. They said they prefer portrait over landscape because they can't rotate in their program. Since they can't rotate, I'm glad I submitted landscape because otherwise, it would've been difficult to read and understand what I was trying to do. I also generated the pdf summary of my app after submitting and it kept them landscape, but if I went to print, it went ahead and rotated them all to portrait, so it looks like it will be okay! Glad to have it done!

this secondary is LIT!!!! I am so excited to do it :) my gpa low but morale is high baby

• Care
Reactions: 5 users

Hey there hoping you might be able to provide some insight, or at least your approach to the Carle secondary. I am wondering if I should focus on one activity for each of the three prompts and construct my artifact around that or provide a smattering of different things I have done that exemplify each prompt (creativity, compassion, curiosity)? Thoughts?

Anyone using Google images to populate their secondary? Should we cite such pictures if we used them? Is it looked down upon to not use your own photos?

Hey there hoping you might be able to provide some insight, or at least your approach to the Carle secondary. I am wondering if I should focus on one activity for each of the three prompts and construct my artifact around that or provide a smattering of different things I have done that exemplify each prompt (creativity, compassion, curiosity)? Thoughts?
Not sure if this is correct, but I did several activities including stuff that wasn't explicitly in my AMCAS. I think I did about 2-3 interests for curiosity, 4-5 fo creativity, and 6 for compassion

On the other side of the coin to @wippery, I did one thing for each prompt and focused heavily on that and I think that turned out well in my case (if I do say so myself!)

anyone knows how long it takes for them to send secondaries. I submitted the competency checklist yesterday and haven't heard from them yet

Mine had a ton of different pictures: Curiosity (11), Creativity (7), Compassion (16). I had to focus on a few of the pictures for the description and I still have no idea how I'm going to guess hours.

What are you all putting for the level of commitment? What exactly does that even mean?
It says in the paragraph to list if you were a project leader, designer etc. I put my roles in each

Anyone else use pictures they took off the internet? I am using a couple and am wondering if we should cite them? Not sure how to include citations into my artifact.

Just did the video essay... oh boy was I awful. I feel like the content of my responses was decent but I just couldn't get my words to work.

• Sad
Just did the video essay... oh boy was I awful. I feel like the content of my responses was decent but I just couldn't get my words to work.
hahaha yes also took mine today, cut off halfway through the last question. Hopefully I can time better for VITA!

hahaha yes also took mine today, cut off halfway through the last question. Hopefully I can time better for VITA!

I actually finished all the questions like a minute early (if not more) because I was worried about rambling. I did VITA today too and that went... maybe worse. Struggle bus over here...

Does anyone know how they are using VITA? I didn't get a request to complete it last Thursday, are they sending it to everyone?

Does anyone know how they are using VITA? I didn't get a request to complete it last Thursday, are they sending it to everyone?

Carle is using VITA but they haven't said how yet IIRC. My guess is it may be sent to the most competitive applicants a la their seminar invites previously

I spoke with an ADCOM a few weeks ago. At that time, they wanted to honor their previous statement about not having interviews. For this reason they are not using VITA for applicant selection this cycle, but instead as a trial for future cycles. They hadn’t decided who would get them yet. I imagine they will look at a select group of VITAs after the class has been selected to determine if it works for them. It’s pretty similar to their video secondary so I imagine it’s something they will like to use in the future. This was a few weeks ago and things might have changed between now and then.

Reactions: 2 users