2017-2018 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After November, not even September! That is definitely not something encouraging! Just a sad day! I wonder if there are any II opportunities for 'post-November complete' candidates. Anybody who has past experience, could you give us some advice please? Worth trying? I am thinking it probably won't hurt! This whole application process is so stressful and it is training your patience too!!!
Not at Vanderbilt, but I have met two MD students at different schools who told me they had applied MSTP and switched to MD after being rejected -- I'm not sure how each school's timeline works of course, but I thought this might be a small ray of hope that it can still result in acceptance. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at Vanderbilt, but I have met two MD students at different schools who told me they had applied MSTP and switched to MD after being rejected -- I'm not sure how each school's timeline works of course, but I thought this might be a small ray of hope that it can still result in acceptance. :)
So there is no chance for Vanderbilt MD, right?

I know people who have successfully appealed at other schools so it definitely happens. Just wasnt sure about Vandy.
Displaying my ignorance here I guess but what even is a rejection appeal? Like you get rejected and you reply with "sorry I don't think that's correct and let me tell you why"?

Reactions: 1 user
Displaying my ignorance here I guess but what even is a rejection appeal? Like you get rejected and you reply with "sorry I don't think that's correct and let me tell you why"?
I think the idea is that there are so many similar applications, some can just randomly be rejected based on who read it that day or their mood or some tiny thing. Or if you're not from the region they may assume you don't actually want to go there. So people I know who have successfully appealed wrote an essay detailing why they would fit in well at X school, how they genuinely would love to go there, they'd like to be reconsidered, etc. I'm sure it doesn't work 99% of the time but it has worked for some people, and apparently some schools are more receptive to it than others (hence why I was asking about Vandy)

Reactions: 1 users
Would Vanderbilt be receptive to a letter of interest pre-II?

I recieved a secondary and submitted it on Nov. 3. Can anyone who recieved an interview tell me how long it was between secondary submission and interview invitation?

The last II On here I think was from a late August or early September submission and Vandy only sends out II every other Friday...

I recieved a secondary and submitted it on Nov. 3. Can anyone who recieved an interview tell me how long it was between secondary submission and interview invitation?

I submitted on the last day of Sept, received interview invite during second week of Nov (1 1/2 months~). Time from secondary complete to II seems to be quite variable however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this week not a week VUSM will be giving out interview invites because of Thanksgiving?

Last edited:
Guess the answer is they are - Turkey's eve II today! Complete early August. Interview dates in early to mid-January

Reactions: 5 users
I haven't submitted mine (due 11/26), wondering if it is too late for this cycle! I did get secondary the next day after I switched from MSTP to MD though (LizzyM > 80).

I haven't submitted mine (due 11/26), wondering if it is too late for this cycle! I did get secondary the next day after I switched from MSTP to MD though (LizzyM > 80).
You have nothing to lose but money, by submitting it before the deadline.

Anyone know when in December they send out admission decisions? (post-II)

LOL rejected pre-II via portal. Can't believe I wasted that many hours writing a 1200 word essay about my life. oh well, Another one bites the dust :/

edit: completed mid/late august, LM >75

Last edited:
Rejected pre-II just now. LM 80-81

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also rejected pre-II. Complete the 2nd week of October, so I’m not surprised. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Also rejected via portal. Complete mid September.

Rejected via portal. Good luck to everyone else!

Last year calls starting going out Dec 16th. At least that was the first on Sdn.

So I was complete end of July, have competitive stats for Vandy, and a decent story about a personal connection to the school. I've heard nothing from them, although they are very probably my top choice. No complete email, not even any spam emails. I know this process can just be super random, but I'm starting to get paranoid that something's not right (especially since almost everyone got those spam emails). Would it be bad to call and ask about the status of my application?

I asked them and they told me they don’t answer over phone! You’d have to email them

So I was complete end of July, have competitive stats for Vandy, and a decent story about a personal connection to the school. I've heard nothing from them, although they are very probably my top choice. No complete email, not even any spam emails. I know this process can just be super random, but I'm starting to get paranoid that something's not right (especially since almost everyone got those spam emails). Would it be bad to call and ask about the status of my application?
Wouldn't hurt. You've been waiting more than 4 months and probably most people have heard from them (whether II or rejection) by now. I'd call and ask if I were you.

Edit: Seeing ephemeralsunshine's info, email instead.

Thanks guys! Any advice for how to word it well?
I asked them and they told me they don’t answer over phone! You’d have to email them

Wouldn't hurt. You've been waiting more than 4 months and probably most people have heard from them (whether II or rejection) by now. I'd call and ask if I were you.

Edit: Seeing ephemeralsunshine's info, email instead.

If you interviewed here recently, please PM me! I have some questions about Vanderbilt’s interviews.

Let me know if they were receptive to your email! Also been complete since around end of July and haven't heard anything yet.

Sooo MSAR says Dec 22 as the first date, is there any chance they'll come out earlier than that?
US News States December 10th and Feb 28th. Interestingly Vanderbilt's acceptance rate data also disappeared from US News recently, not sure what to make of that.

Rejected pre II earlier this week. Not surprised!

Application complete August 11th, Rejected pre-II November 10th
Called today for application feedback, was told feedback would only be available after April, if I don't get into any other schools :cryi:
OOS, LM 74