2018-2019 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is this thread so much less active than most schools. 25 folks got off the WL last year and not one posted here. Makes me wonder whether the WL is promising.

Someone said around 400 people are on the WL, but they interview somewhere between 400-500 in total, and plenty withdraw from both this WL and this acceptance...just to inject some hope

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i keep hearing how generous vandy is with aid and scholarships but after talking with them, they refuse to give me money even when i have money from other T20 schools. anybody else in a similar situation?

i keep hearing how generous vandy is with aid and scholarships but after talking with them, they refuse to give me money even when i have money from other T20 schools. anybody else in a similar situation?

Merit scholarships, even those from fin aid leverage, are now going to be reduced supposedly because the MAR and NAR are gone

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm hoping their need based aid is more generous or otherwise I will have to say goodbye to here despite how much I'd love to attend here.

Last edited:
I'm hoping their need based aid is more generous or otherwise I will have to say goodbye to here despite how much I'd love to attend here.
yeah I feel the same, but I was told expect no aid for me by their office lol rip

yeah I feel the same, but I was told expect no aid for me by their office lol rip

Wait really? How did you find this out? Did you ask for an estimate based off something? If I don't get any aid i would rather not even bother going to second look. A student on here was saying the opposite that they give a ton of aid :(.

Wait really? How did you find this out? Did you ask for an estimate based off something? If I don't get any aid i would rather not even bother going to second look. A student on here was saying the opposite that they give a ton of aid :(.
I emailed their office regarding some stuff and it was part of their response

I emailed their office regarding some stuff and it was part of their response

Was it something specific to you or do you think I'd be able to email them and ask what they think my aid might look like based on estimated values i give them? Sorry to pry, i just really want to have some sort of idea of cost before getting too invested :(

Was it something specific to you or do you think I'd be able to email them and ask what they think my aid might look like based on estimated values i give them? Sorry to pry, i just really want to have some sort of idea of cost before getting too invested :(
specific but also worth a shot. the staff is nice!

Any updates on when financial aid is coming out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates on when financial aid is coming out?

I thought today was the day, but haven't heard anything yet. Maybe they're actually planning to physically mail them out!

Got my financial aid package in the mail and withdrawing.

Good news and bad news!
Good news - Got my financial aid package today
Bad news - Vanderbilt will be VERY expensive. Also they specifically say in the FAQ that when someone with a scholarship withdwaws, they don’t distribute those funds to someone else. Nor do they match offers from other schools

Here’s to hoping one of my others schools comes through with a decent offer!

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew! Hoping for the best for those of you on the WL :)

Reactions: 1 users
Good news and bad news!
Good news - Got my financial aid package today
Bad news - Vanderbilt will be VERY expensive. Also they specifically say in the FAQ that when someone with a scholarship withdwaws, they don’t distribute those funds to someone else. Nor do they match offers from other schools

Here’s to hoping one of my others schools comes through with a decent offer!

Will also be withdrawing because of this. Haven't even opened my financial aid package yet but i already know what to expect. I'll make sure to read it first just in case of a miracle.

Best of luck to those on the waitlist. Definitely an amazing school, if only they had more money to offer like some other places :(

Just opened my financial aid package and oh man it was even worse than I expected. They only award 20% of tuition not 20% of total CoA (which is what i thought initially). So to go here I'd have to take out about 75k in loans a year. Will be withdrawing by the end of this week since my other offers are much less than that.

Just opened my financial aid package and oh man it was even worse than I expected. They only award 20% of tuition not 20% of total CoA (which is what i thought initially). So to go here I'd have to take out about 75k in loans a year. Will be withdrawing by the end of this week since my other offers are much less than that.
yeah looking at their total indebtedness online for 2017 and it's pretty bi-modal. either you are in the 50% with 0 debt or you get hung out to dry haha

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to those on the waitlist! This school felt super special and would've been tough to say no to had it been more affordable.

Reactions: 3 users
just withdrew my acceptance here - love Nashville and so sad to say goodbye but hopefully someone else can get that seat!!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, long time lurker and on the alternate list. Did anyone at second look get a feel for how many people would attend the school or how much the waitlist might move?

Reactions: 1 users
Will also be withdrawing shortly! Good luck to all on the waitlist

Withdrew. Best of luck to all those on the waitlist!

Also accepted off of the waitlist yesterday! Have to see what my financial aid package is here though.

Called the Director of Admissions yesterday. She said they are only expecting to pull one or maybe two more people off the waitlist. May the best man win.

anyone else get a call asking about interest this past week?

Accepted from the waitlist today! Got thr call at around 2:30pm PT

To those with success at getting an II or even a A/WL, did you include what you're doing for for gap year in the autobiography??

To those with success at getting an II or even a A/WL, did you include what you're doing for for gap year in the autobiography??
Their secondary says “ If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation”. Even if you haven’t exactly started your gap year activities yet, I’d recommend mentioning them in your autobiography anyways since I don’t particularly recall Vandy having a section on their secondary to detail any extraneous info (I.e. gap year plans).

Their secondary says “ If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation”. Even if you haven’t exactly started your gap year activities yet, I’d recommend mentioning them in your autobiography anyways since I don’t particularly recall Vandy having a section on their secondary to detail any extraneous info (I.e. gap year plans).
Thanks for this. Lastly, for the 2nd essay... I was wondering if you could offer an opinion. For my challenge, I wanted to talk about something personal, but then on a website I read that:
"Select an example that has a positive outcome for all parties involved. As a direct result of your efforts, how did you improve the situation? The best examples will be professional in nature. I do not recommend using a personal example for this response. Using an example in which you gained new skills or learned a new approach to create a successful resolution will be important."
... Do you agree with this? can others maybe chime in and reaffirm that this is not true at all lol.

Accepted (and attending Vandy!) student here. I used a story that wasn't professional. Without going into too much detail, it was about a really hard time for me due to family illness. In my opinion, I think that a personal challenge is better if it's something that really impacted you and you can clearly articulate what you learned from the experience. I think medical schools (and Vandy in particular) like seeing you as a person. If it's an appropriate personal challenge, I would say go for it. This is anecdotal, but worked for me!

Thanks for this. Lastly, for the 2nd essay... I was wondering if you could offer an opinion. For my challenge, I wanted to talk about something personal, but then on a website I read that:
"Select an example that has a positive outcome for all parties involved. As a direct result of your efforts, how did you improve the situation? The best examples will be professional in nature. I do not recommend using a personal example for this response. Using an example in which you gained new skills or learned a new approach to create a successful resolution will be important."
... Do you agree with this? can others maybe chime in and reaffirm that this is not true at all lol.
+1, I also used a personal example! I don’t think it’s necessary to use professional stories for adversity/challenge prompts unless it is directly stated to do so.

For last years applicants:
Did you write your autobiography chronologically....childhood -> adolescence -> college -> gap-year. Or did you start with values/character and reflect on what events in your life developed those?

Thanks!

Just curious for any1 willing to share. Did any1 get pulled of the WL after June 1st here? How late did movement go?