2020-2021 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y'all think we will hear back next week?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have hope for March 12 or March 19 since "late February" was February 19

March 19th is probably more likely in that case then, but maybe Vandy will surprise us!

Reactions: 1 user
Was anyone able to confirm second look on the admissions portal? I don't have the "pre-matriculation" tab that the email is talking about

Was anyone able to confirm second look on the admissions portal? I don't have the "pre-matriculation" tab that the email is talking about
The admissions folks sent an email saying there was a glitch with that and they'll let us know when it's back up

Any other admitted students still not able to sign up for Second Look? I don't see a pre-matriculation tab on my portal.

Anyone have insights on the timing of March decisions?

Someone above posted this. It is linked here. Seems like soon though!

2020-2021 Admission Timeline

For the 2020-2021 admissions cycle, we will be releasing decisions in three waves:

• · Mid-December: Acceptances to the MIDP cohort will be made.
  • · Late December: First wave of acceptances will be made.
  • · Late February: Second wave of acceptances will be made.
  • · Late March: Last wave of acceptances will be made.
Accepted students will receive their admission offer via phone call and will also receive a letter via email.

Any other admitted students still not able to sign up for Second Look? I don't see a pre-matriculation tab on my portal.
It should be working now! They emailed a few times and I was able to sign up on Sunday night.

Anyone have insights on the timing of March decisions?

Besides the "late March" timeframe they shared with us, we know that on February 19th acceptance calls went out, so potentially March 19th may be a target date. Nothing is confirmed though for a March date.

Besides the "late March" timeframe they shared with us, we know that on February 19th acceptance calls went out, so potentially March 19th may be a target date. Nothing is confirmed though for a March date.
March 19th is match day so I wouldn't anticipate calls that day.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
not sure if this is helpful data at all but i was accepted back in february and received a call today from an M4 reaching out to congratulate me

do we know if the class is almost filled? If folks who interviewed earlier on didn't make it the past waves, are we likely to receive WLs and Rs?

Reactions: 1 users
I would guess next Friday because of Match day but who knows!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! I am a current Masters of Health Science student at Meharry Medical College. If anyone isn’t exactly set on a place to stay at yet I am subleasing my apartment (including all the utilities and internet) for the months of May-August to any upcoming Vanderbilt M1 students. The apartment is one bed one bath located at LC Germantown. It’s one of the safer/nicer complexes and is a short 13 minute commute from Vanderbilt. It’s an even closer commute to most of the supermarkets and restaurants in the area as well. If you are interested, please feel free to message me here!

not sure if this is helpful data at all but i was accepted back in february and received a call today from an M4 reaching out to congratulate me

Current student here. We call every accepted applicant to congratulate (or if not, somebody screw up and forgot).

Happy to answer questions about Vandy too in general if anybody has any.

Does anyone have any update on when the third wave is going out (or if they have already gone out)? It's already getting very close to their second look day.

Reactions: 3 users
Current student here. We call every accepted applicant to congratulate (or if not, somebody screw up and forgot).

Happy to answer questions about Vandy too in general if anybody has any.
i have a question if you dont mind! i was just at second look for another school, and they were talking about their graded clerkships as a pro of their curriculum, since residencies like to have an evaluation of how you did on your rotations and make sure you know what you're doing. are vandy students at all disadvantaged in matching to competitive residencies because of ungraded pre-clinicals + clinicals ? also is there any sort of objective evaluation by the school during the 4 years that is provided to residency programs (other than rec letters)? do you ever feel like you have to go above and beyond in other activities compared to peers at other schools in order to make up for the lack of grades so that you can "prove yourself"? ((i guess my concern is that if you had the same stats at another school but also had high grades, programs would prefer the person with the grades)) thank you so much :)

(also im already leaning vandy regardless of the answer but just want to make sure i know what im heading into!)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any update on when the third wave is going out (or if they have already gone out)? It's already getting very close to their second look day.

When's their second look day scheduled for?

i have a question if you dont mind! i was just at second look for another school, and they were talking about their graded clerkships as a pro of their curriculum, since residencies like to have an evaluation of how you did on your rotations and make sure you know what you're doing. are vandy students at all disadvantaged in matching to competitive residencies because of ungraded pre-clinicals + clinicals ? also is there any sort of objective evaluation by the school during the 4 years that is provided to residency programs (other than rec letters)? do you ever feel like you have to go above and beyond in other activities compared to peers at other schools in order to make up for the lack of grades so that you can "prove yourself"? ((i guess my concern is that if you had the same stats at another school but also had high grades, programs would prefer the person with the grades)) thank you so much :)

(also im already leaning vandy regardless of the answer but just want to make sure i know what im heading into!)

I and many other students considered this a pro because clerkship grades are certainly not an objective measure by any means — I believe UCSF published a study where minorities and women were systematically given lower grades, so graded clerkships suck. Nobody wants to have to feel like they're competing against everybody or need to suck up to every other attending. There's also then less pressure to do extremely well on the shelfs, so you can have more of a life outside of the hospital during second year.

We do have grades during the immersion phase (third year and fourth year) in the classic H/HP/P style (BOO), but at least then it is only in courses you that choose and have less inherent competition. There are also pretty clear guidelines for what constitutes a H/HP/P and from what I've heard, in most courses it is standard A/B/C (90/80/70) numerical cutoffs with certain subjective evaluation targets.

We also currently have AOA (boo) but there has been talks about getting rid of it.

Vandy also matches pretty well. Out of ~90 students this year, 7 matched to neurosurgery, 5 matched to derm, 4 matched to ortho, 6 matched to optho, 2 matched to urology, and 3 matched to ENT. Most were at impressive programs as well. Of course, not everybody wants to go to traditionally competitive specialties, but this seems like we have no problem matching in spite of not having clerkship grades. So no, I don't feel like I have to go above and beyond compared to peers at other schools.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
We’re still waiting on the third wave? It hasn’t gone out yet, right?

ugh so i’m on my period and channeling my inner conspiracy theorist but according to the fb accepted students page around 220ish students were accepted already. And on the post II acceptances spreadsheet, Vandy accepts 300ish. It seems like a lot to admit 3x the class size but maybe this means 80-100 more As go out tomorrow (if tomorrow is the day). Someone pls call me out if my math is whack. I’m so done with this process lol I just wanna knowwww!
Edit: also not everyone has fb so the 220 may be an underestimate gah

ugh so i’m on my period and channeling my inner conspiracy theorist but according to the fb accepted students page around 220ish students were accepted already. And on the post II acceptances spreadsheet, Vandy accepts 300ish. It seems like a lot to admit 3x the class size but maybe this means 80-100 more As go out tomorrow (if tomorrow is the day). Someone pls call me out if my math is whack. I’m so done with this process lol I just wanna knowwww!
Just a heads up, the FB group has many current med students/admin in it. I'd say probably around 15.

• Wow

Does the 300ish post-II acceptances include people off the waitlist? If it does historically, then that means there probably are fewer direct acceptances to be given out soon compared to including the waitlist.

Does the 300ish post-II acceptances include people off the waitlist? If it does historically, then that means there probably are fewer direct acceptances to be given out soon compared to including the waitlist.
This is a very good point! Not sure actually.

Anybody hear anything yet?

On February 19th and December 18th, acceptance calls started to be reported around 4 PM CST. Based on that, it's probable we won't hear anything until a few hours later today.

Reactions: 5 users
A!!! Just got the call. Good luck to everyone waiting!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Got the A!!! With full scholarship!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Got the A call like 40 min ago, interviewed in December (I think??? it's honestly been so long I don't recall anymore lol)

• Love
Any portal updates for anyone? Congratulations to all accepted applicants!!