2018-2019 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm that’s kind of annoying. I wish they’d just respond yes or no so I could make concrete plans. How did you submit a request? Was it through that online form, or did you email student hosting/MD admissions?

I did the online form. I think they ask you to give them at least 2 weeks headsup and i didnt do that so i was surprised to end up getting a host. Also I just checked my email to make sure and I actually sent the request about 10 days before my interview (still later than the 2 weeks) and they responded exactly 7 days before my interview day. The student themselves emailed me directly. How far out is your interview? They probably prioritize people who have closer interview days and then worry about the rest as they get closer.

Members don't see this ad.

I did the online form. I think they ask you to give them at least 2 weeks headsup and i didnt do that so i was surprised to end up getting a host. Also I just checked my email to make sure and I actually sent the request about 10 days before my interview (still later than the 2 weeks) and they responded exactly 7 days before my interview day. The student themselves emailed me directly. How far out is your interview? They probably prioritize people who have closer interview days and then worry about the rest as they get closer.
My interview is in 2 weeks approximately. I submitted the form last month, didn’t get a response, and then emailed the vusm hosting email on Friday. We’ll see if they respond by the end of this week, but if not I guess I’ll just go for the hotel/Airbnb

Reactions: 1 user
My interview is in 2 weeks approximately. I submitted the form last month, didn’t get a response, and then emailed the vusm hosting email on Friday. We’ll see if they respond by the end of this week, but if not I guess I’ll just go for the hotel/Airbnb

That's probably your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
R last week, submitted early Aug.

If you didn't get a merit scholarship at the time of the call, I don't think it will be offered to you unless you get accepted into a competing med school that is ranked higher than Vanderbilt.There is still need aid though, and that offer will be revealed in the spring. I didn't get a merit scholarship either, but I was lucky enough to receive some need based aid. This brought the COA for Vanderbilt closer to my other acceptance, which was an instate public school.

Congrats to everyone who got an acceptance!

I asked the admissions office about this wave of acceptances because I have a buddy from undergrad applying this cycle who interviewed in October but didn't get an update this week. They told me that all of the December admission offers and scholarship awards have been made, and these folks will be getting an email and have their portal status updated in early January after the admissions office reopens. They also told me that everyone who's status says "under review" is still under consideration for the late Feb offers.

Thanks for answering these questions! Vanderbilt's my top choice and I was admitted in December without scholarship. However, I was recently offered a scholarship by a higher ranked school. Should I contact admissions to ask them to match it? I'd love to come to Nashville, but it would be really hard for me to justify with a scholarship at another school.

Word from my applicant advisees is that second round of acceptances will go out February 18th. This was what Dean of admissions told an applicant who interviewed this week. Obviously, they are not bound to this date, and unpredictable events such as a snow storm that shuts down ADCOM offices, or difficulty in rounding up interviewers for II input, etc could affect the date.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if not hearing back last round basically constitutes as a WL or a R? Or have there been people who interviewed in time for last round that heard back later?

Does anyone know if not hearing back last round basically constitutes as a WL or a R? Or have there been people who interviewed in time for last round that heard back later?
There is still a good chance of getting accepted even if you didn’t hear back during December. There are plenty of examples in last year’s thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this has been said already, but the second round of decisions will be at the end of February, not mid-Feb!

Reactions: 4 users
Not to start a panic, but one of my advisees, who had interview in mid-late January, said they were told that acceptances would be around Feb 18th. Obviously, this is a national holiday, so unlikely exactly on that date. (Two of my advisees who interviewed there this year really liked Vandy!)

Not to start a panic, but one of my advisees, who had interview in mid-late January, said they were told that acceptances would be around Feb 18th. Obviously, this is a national holiday, so unlikely exactly on that date. (Two of my advisees who interviewed there this year really liked Vandy!)

Don’t you think that the more recent update that it’ll be late February is more representative than your advisee’s earlier update?

Don’t you think that the more recent update that it’ll be late February is more representative than your advisee’s earlier update?
Hard to know - you are prob right but I do not know the reporter of this information about late Feb and I do not remember how he/she got the information and when.

What I do know is that an interviewee who attended on January 21 came back from interview and told me that they were given the date of February 18th. But the good news is that February only has 28 days, so the difference between Feb 18th and "late Feb" can at most be only 10 days! I know that is a long time in SDN hours (864,000 seconds to be exact)

Reactions: 1 users

Hard to know - you are prob right but I do not know the reporter of this information about late Feb and I do not remember how he/she got the information and when.

What I do know is that an interviewee who attended on January 21 came back from interview and told me that they were given the date of February 18th. But the good news is that February only has 28 days, so the difference between Feb 18th and "late Feb" can at most be only 10 days! I know that is a long time in SDN hours (864,000 seconds to be exact)

I was that previous poster. interviewed Jan 25 and we were told decisions would be out by late Feb. and LOInterest should be sent in by mid Feb.

I was that previous poster. interviewed Jan 25 and we were told decisions would be out by late Feb. and LOInterest should be sent in by mid Feb.
OK, I now trust this person - who also got the "love letter" from Mayo but not the A, if I remember correctly. Just like one of my advisees who also really liked Vandy. (and HYP). Hopefully you both hear good news within the next 864,000 seconds from Vandy!

Looks like you were right! No decisions seem to have gone out today. Anyone on SDN call the office for an update for when this second batch of decisions will be released? (this is a top choice for 2 of my advisees...and I get anxious for them!)

What schools is this referring to?
Can't tell ya'll. And, as we saw with Duke, the ADCOMs can get fickle about the timing. There can be weather issues. There can be difficulty getting interviewers to turn in their final reports and their final rankings. Or the interviewers may have to attend to urgent clinical issues and be unable to bring their candidates up for final discussion. And there can be ADCOM committee politics even. How do they decide when committee member A thinks that their applicant is better than committee member B or committee member C? I do have it on good authority that at least 2 top schools are planning a WED release date, but they are not bound to that.

Can't tell ya'll. And, as we saw with Duke, the ADCOMs can get fickle about the timing. There can be weather issues. There can be difficulty getting interviewers to turn in their final reports and their final rankings. Or the interviewers may have to attend to urgent clinical issues and be unable to bring their candidates up for final discussion. And there can be ADCOM committee politics even. How do they decide when committee member A thinks that their applicant is better than committee member B or committee member C? I do have it on good authority that at least 2 top schools are planning a WED release date, but they are not bound to that.

What is the point of bringing all this up and then not saying the schools’ names?

Reactions: 9 users
lol can you tell us if a school is NOT one of these (Baylor?)

I have seen OP's postings so know some of the schools he/she is interested in. And she/he was asking for which day to focus on, so I gave her/him that day bc I have heard rumblings. Also, you can look at when second look weekends are scheduled. It does not make sense to give out acceptances less than a month before a second look!

Last edited:
Current student here willing to take some questions since I found these kind of things helpful when I was applying. Interviews are starting in a couple of weeks here, from what I heard.

It took me a while to choose this place, but I have not at all regretted my choice. Seriously, I love it here. I'm constantly blown away by the continued benefits and resources I get as a student here. Plus Nashville is a ballin city.

Shoot me any questions you got about daily life or whatever is on your mind.

I know you posted this awhile ago but would you still be willing to answer questions? I tried to send you a PM but it won’t let me

Ah well, it's too bad vandys waitlist doesn't mean much since it seems like that's where I'm headed.

Congrats to those that got a call!

Ah well, it's too bad vandys waitlist doesn't mean much since it seems like that's where I'm headed.

Congrats to those that got a call!

They used it to let in 25 people last year, and they said they plan on underaccepting to the point that they’ll need to use the waitlist. You never know

Anyone else accepted want to say where their first or last name is alphabetically?

Anyone else accepted want to say where their first or last name is alphabetically?
Last name is towards the beginning. They're probably moving alphabetically.

Hmm the threads been silent for a bit, wonder if they’re done with acceptances

They used it to let in 25 people last year, and they said they plan on underaccepting to the point that they’ll need to use the waitlist. You never know

Yeah but they barely reject anyone post interview so it's probably gonna be super long. They interview only like 400 people and waitlist a lot of them.

It might actually be alphabetical. Just got the call and im towards the middle/end. Im honestly stunned because I've just gotten so used to waitlist after waitlist.

Reactions: 9 users
It might actually be alphabetical. Just got the call and im towards the middle/end. Im honestly stunned because I've just gotten so used to waitlist after waitlist.
Congrats! I see you around these forums a lot. Happy for ya!