2019-2020 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah interesting, I heard Mayo does the same

Mayo actually gives a package that is combined need and merit

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
It's a tough choice, but withdrawing.

Oh Vandy how I would have loved your P/F clinical clerkships. You just too expensive

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait so let me get this straight...people who got full tuition scholarships aren't elegible for federal loans to make up the full cost of attendance? Or am I misinterpreting what people are saying here?

Wait so let me get this straight...people who got full tuition scholarships aren't elegible for federal loans to make up the full cost of attendance? Or am I misinterpreting what people are saying here?
No they are. They’re not eligible for need based grants and such to make up the cost.
If you get a scholarship, you must take out loans (mine were unsubsidized) to cover COA.

Did I read the financial aid Q&A correctly or am I mistaken here? If a student turns down their merit scholarship to matriculate elsewhere, Vanderbilt won't redistribute that money to other potential candidates. If true, my withdrawal will be coming soon.

Does that only apply post-enrollment or even now? Did anyone interpret that question differently?

Did I read the financial aid Q&A correctly or am I mistaken here? If a student turns down their merit scholarship to matriculate elsewhere, Vanderbilt won't redistribute that money to other potential candidates. If true, my withdrawal will be coming soon.

Does that only apply post-enrollment or even now? Did anyone interpret that question differently?
They don't redistribute because they give out more merit scholarships than they actually anticipate to enroll.

With that said, during my interview day, the person who did the financial aid presentation provided an anecdote in which a scholarship was awarded to someone who asked because the prior holder had withdrawn. It is possible that their current scholarship redistribution policy only crystallized recently, IDK.

Reactions: 1 users
They don't redistribute because they give out more merit scholarships than they actually anticipate to enroll.

With that said, during my interview day, the person who did the financial aid presentation provided an anecdote in which a scholarship was awarded to someone who asked because the prior holder had withdrawn. It is possible that their current scholarship redistribution policy only crystallized recently, IDK.

That's what I'm trying to understand. Let's say someone with a full-tuition merit scholarship decides to enroll elsewhere...will they or will they not award that scholarship to someone else? Your anecdote suggests that they will, but the wording on the pamphlet makes it questionable. Who knows lol

No they are. They’re not eligible for need based grants and such to make up the cost.
If you get a scholarship, you must take out loans (mine were unsubsidized) to cover COA.

edit: turns out there was an error in my school info which is why I was not offered loans initially, but it's fixed now and everything should be all good :) tl;dr, people who get merit scholarships still qualify for federal loans.

original post for reference:

Right, but I'm just confused because I have a merit scholarship, but the award package says $0 for loans. Typically direct federal loans AKA Stafford loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) are included as part of the Financial Aid package. So does Vanderbilt just send us this information for getting Stafford loans later, or are we ineligible for these loans? If we're not eligible, then perhaps the only federal loan we can get is the PLUS loan, which from my understanding is typically something you apply for outside of the school and directly from the federal government. Unfortunately that loan is more expensive than Stafford loans (but at least they are cheaper than private loans).

I know these are are probably better questions for the financial aid office, but since it's the weekend I figured one of you might have more info XD

Last edited:
Does anyone know why Vandy has such few people going IM? Does anyone have match lists for Vandy from prior years?
The booklet from interview day shows the data for 2017-2019. It shows 191 students matching IM, more than any other specialty.

Edit: Correction - I think it's 191 over 8 years. The map in the booklet is 2017-2019.

Last edited:
If you withdrew from here (or plan to), could you share why? Was it financial, location, better school...?

If you withdrew from here (or plan to), could you share why? Was it financial, location, better school...?

For me, first and foremost it was financial. I couldn’t convince myself to take a full tuition offer over a full cost of attendance offer. I really loved Vanderbilt, the decision would be much harder had it not been ~120k more expensive over 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm on the WL, but I'm withdrawing due to finances. Loved Vandy but cant justify getting in 300k debt when I can go with less than 100k

Reactions: 1 user
For me it was financial as well. Especially their policy of not redistributing unused merit aid/not being willing to negotiate or take someone's individual financial situation into account. Loved everything about the school and program and could totally see myself as part of the student body, but could not justify this for 150k extra loans compared to another T20 that offered me a much better need-based package and does redistribute unused merit aid.

Really unfortunate because I think it excludes a really big pool of accepted applicants at Vandy from having the ability to come because of the school's financial aid policies...I hope they can find some way to change this in the future so more accepted applicants don't have to say goodbye to such a great place :(

For me it was financial as well. Especially their policy of not redistributing unused merit aid/not being willing to negotiate or take someone's individual financial situation into account. Loved everything about the school and program and could totally see myself as part of the student body, but could not justify this for 150k extra loans compared to another T20 that offered me a much better need-based package and does redistribute unused merit aid.

Really unfortunate because I think it excludes a really big pool of accepted applicants at Vandy from having the ability to come because of the school's financial aid policies...I hope they can find some way to change this in the future so more accepted applicants don't have to say goodbye to such a great place :(
TOTALLY AGREE. They are somewhat unique in this regard compared to other schools of similar caliber. Many T20 schools offer MUCH more need base as well as merit scholarships. Very unfortunate.

Reactions: 2 users
+1 withdrawing and finances were a factor. I wasn't awarded a scholarship. Loved the school though!

Getting close to 30th and when WL movement can happen. Sent in my intent earlier. Really hoping to get the call, good luck to everyone on the WL!! Looks like there may be some decent movement :)

Reactions: 7 users
THEY JUST CALLED ME OH YM GOD AIJSHBDLAKSJHDASJKLHDLOAS

• Love
Reactions: 29 users
Just withdrew as well! Good luck :) y'all are gonna be amazing doctors!!

Finances were a factor for my decision as well. Absolutely LOVED the school, but did not get a scholarship.

Just CTE'd, what a ride!! So excited!

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Just got accepted off the waitlist, got a report that no merit award money is left though. I love the school and Nashville, but will have to figure out if the finances are worth it.

Any movement recently? Been pretty quiet. Wonder if the class is already filled up?

Anyone hear anything lately? Aside from the waitlist update email they sent a couple of weeks ago..