2017-2018 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
why did i check this thread
+1.
If I learned anything about myself this cycle, it’s that I apparently like to punish myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call!! Interviewed Dec 17th

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today; without scholarship though. Financially I think it'll come out to 380k COA freaks me out even though I love the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think they will call everyone today? Wish I had not checked this thread

I heard they were going by last name in alphabetic order. For those who got accepted, would you mind sharing the first letter of your last name?

I heard they were going by last name in alphabetic order. For those who got accepted, would you mind sharing the first letter of your last name?

wait really? is this based on last year?

i was gonna say who did you hear from

Done ****ed up going on here, goodbye pleasant Friday.. hello neurotic refreshing

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the acceptance phone call. Last name is near the very start of the alphabet so doesn't look like the alphabetical thing is true this time around.

Just got the phone call!! I think they’re splitting up the calls somehow, my last name is at the beginning of the alphabet. My online portal isn’t updated yet.

Just got the phone call too! My last name is at the end of the alphabet, so I don't think it's in alphabetical order. I think they just split up the calls, so the call could come in any order.

Reactions: 1 user
SWEET BBY JESUS, got the call boys got the ffff calll

+ Scholarship

Last year people got acceptances over 2-3 days in December and over 2 days in Feburary (with WL/rejections released the next day, Mar 1).

This year in December, people here got calls over 3 days (21-23). There will probably be calls on Mon, maybe Tues and then we'll get WLs/rejections later in the week

I was told that the email would be sent next week!
+1

I was told that next week, they'll send us an email to go into the portal, sign the honor code, and provide your SSN. More information on Second Look Weekend is also coming next week. Second Look Weekend is March 23-25.

does vanderbilt do the recorded lectures or is it mandatory lectures? does anyone have a sample schedule for a typical M1 day?

Anyone know if Vandy considers matching scholarship offers? I've interviewed at a few schools similar to Vanderbilt that have done this.

Just got the waitlist email! At least not a rejection!

Just got the waitlist email! At least not a rejection!

Likewise. Not to be a dink, but on the interview day, they said they waitlist everyone they don't accept unless you mess up big time in the interview. They seemed receptive to waitlisted applicants letting them know they were still interested in the school.

Likewise. Not to be a dink, but on the interview day, they said they waitlist everyone they don't accept unless you mess up big time in the interview. They seemed receptive to waitlisted applicants letting them know they were still interested in the school.
Ah ok perfect! Well at least I didn't mess up big time!

Is it worth it to stay on? is there wait list movement? Should I consider it a reject?

Is it worth it to stay on? is there wait list movement? Should I consider it a reject?
If I remember correctly, last year nobody got accepted from the waitlist because they had higher than anticipated yield. The admissions director said that if you have acceptances to higher ranking schools like Stanford but got waitlisted at Vandy and you send Vandy a letter of intent, it would be taken seriously. There might be waitlist movement this year but nobody knows yet -- it depends on how many spots open up come May.

Current Vandy student here. Congrats everyone!

does vanderbilt do the recorded lectures or is it mandatory lectures?

Lectures are recorded, and they aren't mandatory.

does anyone have a sample schedule for a typical M1 day?

I've prepared a sample schedule based of this week's schedule for the VMSIs.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 5.40.23 PM.png

Reactions: 6 users
So I got accepted, but no word on the aid/scholarships so I have no idea what it will cost. For those of you who got them with the call, had you already sent in FAFSA/CSS? I hadn't sent any of that in until this week.

Or if I hadn't heard about it, then pretty much I will be paying full cost (other than need-based)?

So I got accepted, but no word on the aid/scholarships so I have no idea what it will cost. For those of you who got them with the call, had you already sent in FAFSA/CSS? I hadn't sent any of that in until this week.

Or if I hadn't heard about it, then pretty much I will be paying full cost (other than need-based)?

I had sent my FAFSA/CSS in beforehand, don't think they looked at it because it was all merit aid

I actually sent an email to admissions, and was told that they had limited scholarship money this year and that if you didnt get it with the acceptance call, you were not being offered merit aid, unless someone gives up one of the big scholarships and they decide to transfer it to someone else (which they say is unlikely)

I actually sent an email to admissions, and was told that they had limited scholarship money this year and that if you didnt get it with the acceptance call, you were not being offered merit aid, unless someone gives up one of the big scholarships and they decide to transfer it to someone else (which they say is unlikely)
Dang. Probably won't be able to swing that amount of debt. When you look at their debt breakdown online only about 12 students wound up with over 250k in debt. I have no idea how this is possible given the total cost of attendance here. Something like 50% claimed to finish debt free

Current Vandy student here. Congrats everyone!

Lectures are recorded, and they aren't mandatory.

I've prepared a sample schedule based of this week's schedule for the VMSIs.

View attachment 229922
Thank you so much! This is awesome. How do you feel about the 1 year curriculum? What would you say are the strongest subjects and is anything weak? Example, friends at another 1 year curriculum school said anatomy was very cursory.

Also- about wellness. Everyone says Vandy is so big into wellness. What specifically do they do in regard to wellness? Especially that's different to other schools with the typical colleges system and olympics etc.etc.

Thank you so much! This is awesome. How do you feel about the 1 year curriculum? What would you say are the strongest subjects and is anything weak? Example, friends at another 1 year curriculum school said anatomy was very cursory.

Also- about wellness. Everyone says Vandy is so big into wellness. What specifically do they do in regard to wellness? Especially that's different to other schools with the typical colleges system and olympics etc.etc.

Please keep in mind that I'm only 1/2 way through first year.

Pros of 1 year pre-clinical/new curriculum​

-You gain an extra year of clinical experience.

-The immersion phase can be accommodated for major life events or trips.

-You have 3 months, up to 6 months, of dedicated research time.

-The purpose of the clerkship year now becomes solidification of medical knowledge in preparation of step 1, instead of just exposure to medicine.

-Lectures aren't mandatory and all of them are recorded.

-The clerkship year is P/F as well. Only 3rd and 4th year are graded.

Pre-clinical/new curriculum Cons​

-First year is a grind. From November to January we were in a block called "Homeostasis," which focuses on hematology, cardiology, renal, and pulmonology. The end of block exams lasted a week and culminated with an NBME generated exam on Friday. Before the end of the day, we had already received a congratulatory email from the director of the next block, but it was also a reminder to ready a chapter on GI physiology before the start of the next block on Monday.

-I've heard from older students that you will enter your clinical clerkships with less knowledge than a traditional 2 year preclinical. This is the result of combining 24 months into 13 months. However the step 1 scores are going up though since the new curriculum, so I'm not sure if this is an actual con :)

Non curriculum Pros​

-There is a ton of research (adult and pediatric) going on a Vanderbilt, and many programs are ranked well. One of the departments I'm interested in is ranked 9th or 10th in the nation.

-The weather has been nice. It only snowed here maybe 3 days this winter. I haven't experienced the a "real" summer however; supposedly 2017 had a mild summer.

-The reputation of Nashville and Vanderbilt is definitely rising.

-You will do rotations in the VA hospital. These tend to be interesting patients due to their life experiences and medical history.

-The workplace culture at VUMC feels nice. The week before Thanksgiving, all medical center employees had the choice between a free turkey or a free oven mitt. I've worked for a few different healthcare organizations where a kind gesture like that would have been out of the question.

-Shade Tree is interesting. I'm not there as much as I could be, but it's always an informative and humbling experience. If you want to practice your Spanish, Shade Tree is clutch.

-The hospital runs on Epic.

-Cost of living is cheaper than costal cities.

-Nashville has excellent restaurants, and there are 2-3 Farmer's markets.

Non-curriculum related Cons​

-Sometimes the small class size can feel a little cliquish.

-The cost of living is higher than midwestern schools.

Wellness Themes​

Each class has a yearly retreat in the fall to talk acknowledge the highs and lows of being a medical student.

Every 2-3 weeks we have social rounds at the end of class on Friday. These are great opportunities to meet older students, plus a little free food (and booze usually).

Each class elects three students to serve as social chairs. We usually have 2-3 parties per block, and there are also mixers with other colleges about once a month as well.

Everyone is paired up with a big in your college, similar to a fraternity or sorority.

College cup in the fall is a blast!

The student wellness committee will randomly plan nice stuff about once a month. This week they hired a couple masseuses to give free massages. Usually these things can only take 15-20 students so you have to reply to the email fast.

I can't speak to your concerns about anatomy. I don't have pals at other medical schools to compare experiences.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about strong/weak subjects. Some of the lecturers are better than others, but I suppose that most medical schools have a mix of instructors.

From September to October, we focused on immunology and microbiology. We memorized a **** ton of microbes, viruses, parasites, etc. Now that we're in our GI block, we had a few more lectures on viral hepatitis, but we went in deeper because of the foundation built earlier in the year. This is a principle dubbed "interweaving," and it happens a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep in mind that I'm only 1/2 way through first year.

Pros of 1 year pre-clinical/new curriculum​

-You gain an extra year of clinical experience.

-The immersion phase can be accommodated for major life events or trips.

-You have 3 months, up to 6 months, of dedicated research time.

-The purpose of the clerkship year now becomes solidification of medical knowledge in preparation of step 1, instead of just exposure to medicine.

-Lectures aren't mandatory and all of them are recorded.

-The clerkship year is P/F as well. Only 3rd and 4th year are graded.

Pre-clinical/new curriculum Cons​

-First year is a grind. From November to January we were in a block called "Homeostasis," which focuses on hematology, cardiology, renal, and pulmonology. The end of block exams lasted a week and culminated with an NBME generated exam on Friday. Before the end of the day, we had already received a congratulatory email from the director of the next block, but it was also a reminder to ready a chapter on GI physiology before the start of the next block on Monday.

-I've heard from older students that you will enter your clinical clerkships with less knowledge than a traditional 2 year preclinical. This is the result of combining 24 months into 13 months. However the step 1 scores are going up though since the new curriculum, so I'm not sure if this is an actual con :)

Non curriculum Pros​

-There is a ton of research (adult and pediatric) going on a Vanderbilt, and many programs are ranked well. One of the departments I'm interested in is ranked 9th or 10th in the nation.

-The weather has been nice. It only snowed here maybe 3 days this winter. I haven't experienced the a "real" summer however; supposedly 2017 had a mild summer.

-The reputation of Nashville and Vanderbilt is definitely rising.

-You will do rotations in the VA hospital. These tend to be interesting patients due to their life experiences and medical history.

-The workplace culture at VUMC feels nice. The week before Thanksgiving, all medical center employees had the choice between a free turkey or a free oven mitt. I've worked for a few different healthcare organizations where a kind gesture like that would have been out of the question.

-Shade Tree is interesting. I'm not there as much as I could be, but it's always an informative and humbling experience. If you want to practice your Spanish, Shade Tree is clutch.

-The hospital runs on Epic.

-Cost of living is cheaper than costal cities.

-Nashville has excellent restaurants, and there are 2-3 Farmer's markets.

Non-curriculum related Cons​

-Sometimes the small class size can feel a little cliquish.

-The cost of living is higher than midwestern schools.

Wellness Themes​

Each class has a yearly retreat in the fall to talk acknowledge the highs and lows of being a medical student.

Every 2-3 weeks we have social rounds at the end of class on Friday. These are great opportunities to meet older students, plus a little free food (and booze usually).

Each class elects three students to serve as social chairs. We usually have 2-3 parties per block, and there are also mixers with other colleges about once a month as well.

Everyone is paired up with a big in your college, similar to a fraternity or sorority.

College cup in the fall is a blast!

The student wellness committee will randomly plan nice stuff about once a month. This week they hired a couple masseuses to give free massages. Usually these things can only take 15-20 students so you have to reply to the email fast.

I can't speak to your concerns about anatomy. I don't have pals at other medical schools to compare experiences.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about strong/weak subjects. Some of the lecturers are better than others, but I suppose that most medical schools have a mix of instructors.

From September to October, we focused on immunology and microbiology. We memorized a **** ton of microbes, viruses, parasites, etc. Now that we're in our GI block, we had a few more lectures on viral hepatitis, but we went in deeper because of the foundation built earlier in the year. This is a principle dubbed "interweaving," and it happens a lot.
this is awesome, thanks so much! could I PM you?

Withdrew my acceptance, best of luck to everyone!

Withdrew my acceptance, best of luck to everyone!
Thank you for doing this early for the benefits of the school and the people in the waiting list.
Please post here if anyone get off the waiting list so that we know if it moves.
I am afraid that they might have accepted more persons so the waiting list might not move.

Dang. Probably won't be able to swing that amount of debt. When you look at their debt breakdown online only about 12 students wound up with over 250k in debt. I have no idea how this is possible given the total cost of attendance here. Something like 50% claimed to finish debt free

I haven't heard the 50% debt free number number, but I wouldn't be surprised, and frankly think that is low-balling it. Would make sense if students' families paid for cost of education, as Vandy med students come from very wealthy families. Further, applying to medical school is an expensive endeavor and Vandy undergrads have a median family income of >$200k (#20 in the country out of all colleges).