2017-2018 Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel better, I was mid- sept. I wonder if they defer at same time as they send out acceptances. I can't believe we will know so soon

Mid Sept here too. Initially my heart sank seeing acceptances here but not my inbox. Does this mean they haven’t gotten to us yet?

Looks like silence for mid-September or earlier folks means deferred decision. Fml.

Looks like silence for mid-September or earlier folks means deferred decision. Fml.
I'm keeping the hope alive that "mid -sept" is broad and perhaps that haven't reached my day yet. Also in past they have deferred and accepted simultaneously. But I guess time will tell.

I'm keeping the hope alive that "mid -sept" is broad and perhaps that haven't reached my day yet. Also in past they have deferred and accepted simultaneously. But I guess time will tell.

But do they release early acceptances for a given interview day together? It seems odd to do otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up hope. There's not always a discernable rhyme or reason to the process. And it's important to remember that even a deferred decision is very different than a rejection.

Don't give up hope. There's not always a discernable rhyme or reason to the process. And it's important to remember that even a deferred decision is very different than a rejection.
Also if it helps I was one of the first interview days if I remember correctly, and first day of IIs. So my acceptance represents the earliest completed folks!

Hello! I interviewed here last week and really enjoyed talking to my interviewers, but the dean of admissions said numerous time to NOT send ANY thank you letters. Even if i have the direct email addresses of my interviewers, should i just keep silent? I wanted to thank them for taking the time to interview / further discuss what we were talking about :/

Hello! I interviewed here last week and really enjoyed talking to my interviewers, but the dean of admissions said numerous time to NOT send ANY thank you letters. Even if i have the direct email addresses of my interviewers, should i just keep silent? I wanted to thank them for taking the time to interview / further discuss what we were talking about :/
The dean of admissions says not to do it, but you're considering doing it? C'mon man please don't haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
You should definitely keep on the safe side and refrain from sending anything resembling a thank you note. On the flip side, I don't see anything wrong with following up on topics discussed during the interview.

Edit: LA_Doc beat me to it

Withdrew my application here today! I wasn't scheduled to interview until December so hopefully my spot goes out to someone waiting here :)

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my application here today! I wasn't scheduled to interview until December so hopefully my spot goes out to someone waiting here :)
It's probably impossible to attend 21 interviews anyway!

Reactions: 1 user
Current student here :) If applicants have questions about life at Feinberg, I may be able to help. Feel free to inbox me.

Here's to hoping we see more acceptances for the September crowd tonight!

AHHHHH ACCEPTED BY EMAIL! Interviewed late September :)

Reactions: 11 users
ACCEPTED!!! Totally was not expecting that email haha Loved my interview day here

Reactions: 6 users
So it safe to say that if we haven’t heard anything it’s a deferral? It’s been more than 6 weeks since I’ve interviewed. I’m just so sad right now.

Congrats everyone!! Did anyone who interviewed September 20 or after hear back?

Reactions: 1 users
So it safe to say that if we haven’t heard anything it’s a deferral? It’s been more than 6 weeks since I’ve interviewed. I’m just so sad right now.
I think almost 73% of the people who interview here end up getting in, I wouldn't get too worried. I remember the Dean saying a few would get accepted, a few would get rejected, and the majority would have to wait awhile.

I think almost 73% of the people who interview here end up getting in, I wouldn't get too worried. I remember the Dean saying a few would get accepted, a few would get rejected, and the majority would have to wait awhile.

Congrats on your acceptance. Unfortunately this doesn’t really make me feel better lol. They didn’t say anything like that during my earlier interview.

Congrats on your acceptance. Unfortunately this doesn’t really make me feel better lol. They didn’t say anything like that during my earlier interview.
Can confirm LA_Doc; they said it at mine

Accepted! My top choice! Interviewed week of sept 18th

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Well congrats everyone to who was accepted. Good to know some people had a good night. It just really sucks knowing you’re somehow not good enough. Never felt so inadequate in my life.

Well congrats everyone to who was accepted. Good to know some people had a good night. It just really sucks knowing you’re somehow not good enough. Never felt so inadequate in my life.
If you got an interview that early, your application is not only adequate but extremely competitive. It's really really early in the cycle, schools couldn't even give acceptances out before last week. I know it sucks to have to wait man, but no need to stress or be too down yet. You got this.

Reactions: 2 users

You got an interview to one of the top medical schools in the country, that is most definitely not inadequate

Reactions: 6 users
Don't feel that, as someone said before that this has no rhyme or reason. thank God I was out to dinner and not checking SDN because it seems I got my email at a later time than everyone, so I would have also thought I was done. Know that it ain't over until it's over. Even if you get in in March, you got in and no one will care when. It will be OK.

Deferred :/ would have loved to cancel a few interviews and save a lot of money, on top of the obvious being accepted to an amazing school

Last edited:
To those who were deferred like me — how did you think your interviews went? I’m starting to question my application and interview skills.

To those who were deferred like me — how did you think your interviews went? I’m starting to question my application and interview skills.
Same! I've been to several interviews, and think they went well (including this one), but now im second guessing everything. It's sad :(.

I mean it obviously doesn't feel good but frankly I wouldn't put too much stock into it. I felt (and still feel) very confident about my interview going as well I could have imagined. From what I understand they only send out these initial acceptances to people they REALLY were impressed with (and keep in mind that's holistic, so both the interview and you on paper). You still could have had a great interview and made an excellent impression, but they wanna hold off on anything just yet to make sure they somehow don't end up with a ton of additional crazy appealing applicants to send acceptances to. Or, they didn't like you and that'll be reflected with a rejection in March, but that's not for 4 months and statistically highly unlikely anyway (I think they only straight up reject like 10-15% of applicants).

Also, I've heard it's only like 1/4 of all those accepted get the immediate acceptance. So if they accept 3/4 of all interviewees, there's still over a 50/50 shot you'll get accepted. That's a solid probability.

Last edited:
I mean it obviously doesn't feel good but frankly I wouldn't put too much stock into it. I felt (and still feel) very confident about my interview going as well I could have imagined. From what I understand they only send out these initial acceptances to people they REALLY were impressed with (and keep in mind that's holistic, so both the interview and you on paper). You still could have had a great interview and made an excellent impression, but they wanna hold off on anything just yet to make sure they somehow don't end up with a ton of additional crazy appealing applicants to send acceptances to. Or, they didn't like you and that'll be reflected with a rejection in March, but that's not for 4 months and statistically highly unlikely anyway (I think they only straight up reject like 10-15% of applicants).

Also, I've heard it's only like 1/4 of all those accepted get the immediate acceptance. So if they accept 3/4 of all interviewees, there's still over a 50/50 shot you'll get accepted. That's a solid probability.

Yeah it makes me question my interview skills still, especially because I have a bunch of IIs from some really great schools, so I assume the paper version of myself looks pretty good. I am unlikely to get decisions from any of the other schools where I am interviewing until at least mid-December, and most not until later than that, so it’s hard to tell how my interviews are going.

Thought it was over for me here, but II!! Earlier this week. Complete in July. Dates in December

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if they accept updates? I couldn't find any info on where we can submit that.