2021-2022 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @CantFindMeNowAdcoms for sharing this year's questions.

2021-2022 Northwestern (Feinberg) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would align with the institution. (200 word max)

2. Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities. (200 word max)

3. Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific interest in medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago which is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the country, will help you achieve this professional goal. (200 word max)

4. Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as any other relevant information. (200 word max)

5. INTERRUPTED TRAINING or REAPPLICANT (if applicable):

• If you have a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe both your completed activities and future plans during the gap period. (200 word max)
  • For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 word max)
6. The Feinberg School of Medicine values diversity as a measure of excellence. We define diversity as the totality of the characteristics and experiences of our students. We believe that a diverse student body improves the educational environment and the ability of our graduates to serve an increasingly diverse patient population. Narrative Descriptions: Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 word max)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OOS MD secondary received!

@wysdoc

Questions:
  • Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would align with the institution. (200 word max)
  • Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities. (200 word max)
  • Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific interest in medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago which is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the country, will help you achieve this professional goal. (200 word max)
  • Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as any other relevant information. (200 word max)
  • INTERRUPTED TRAINING or REAPPLICANT (if applicable):
    • If you have a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe both your completed activities and future plans during the gap period. (200 word max)
    • For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 word max)
  • The Feinberg School of Medicine values diversity as a measure of excellence. We define diversity as the totality of the characteristics and experiences of our students. We believe that a diverse student body improves the educational environment and the ability of our graduates to serve an increasingly diverse patient population. Narrative Descriptions: Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community.
    (200 word max)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received OOS, they’re pretty much the same as last year!

OOS secondary recieved

Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities. (200 word max)

I feel ashamed for asking this, but would mentioning how I sleep 8 hours a day to maintain wellness be considered a red flag for a medical student?

Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities. (200 word max)

I feel ashamed for asking this, but would mentioning how I sleep 8 hours a day to maintain wellness be considered a red flag for a medical student?
Not a red flag at all!! Northwestern really values student wellness. I discussed self-care extensively in that essay last year, and I am matriculating here in August!

Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone explain what the education-centered medical home is and what makes it unique

OOS received, submitted, complete! Appreciate the updated portal lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Does "one specific interest in medicine" mean interest in a potential specialty, or type of medicine (academic, public health, private practice, etc.), or something else entirely?

Does "one specific interest in medicine" mean interest in a potential specialty, or type of medicine (academic, public health, private practice, etc.), or something else entirely?
I think any of these would work. In past cycles, it looks like this question was a future career goals question, so I'd say you can take it about any direction you want as long as it's something specific you're interested in. Just make sure you don't come off as overconfident about your ability to match into neurosurgery or something lol.

Have any MSTP applicants recieved their secondary yet? OOS still waiting

Can anyone explain what the education-centered medical home is and what makes it unique

Essentially a 4-year primary care rotation with about 1 day every other week - but it's so much more in terms of having direct patient contact from your first month, to forming long-term relationships with not only patients, but also your preceptor and students in classes above and below you. Can't say enough about how valuable and amazing it is on so many levels.

Reactions: 3 users
"Do you or an immediate family member have an existing relationship with Feinberg School of Medicine?"

For this question, are they looking for the typical relationships that other schools ask about (parents are alumni/parents on faculty)?

Or because they also ask about "you", would a summer internship at Northwestern Memorial Hospital count?

"Do you or an immediate family member have an existing relationship with Feinberg School of Medicine?"

For this question, are they looking for the typical relationships that other schools ask about (parents are alumni/parents on faculty)?

Or because they also ask about "you", would a summer internship at Northwestern Memorial Hospital count?
I would most certainly mention that.

I added this school a week ago and after the primary apps distributions on 6/25. I haven't received the secondaries yet. Should I email the admission office? THANKS

I added this school a week ago and after the primary apps distributions on 6/25. I haven't received the secondaries yet. Should I email the admission office? THANKS
Northwestern doesn't screen. You will get it eventually :)

Reactions: 1 users
"I have reviewed the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine campus crime statistics."

I'm willing to take a bullet for you Feinberg. Remember that if you decide to reject me.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
MSTP Secondary received! My app was transmitted on 6/25.

MSTP Prompts

1. Why did you choose your undergraduate major? How does the subject appeal to you? (200 word max)

2. Name a scientific paper that you have read recently that had a strong impact on you and describe what impact it had. (200 word max)

3. Discuss a current unanswered question in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it. (200 word max)

4. If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans. (if applicable):
For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application.

5. What is the most gratifying research experience you have had to date and why? What was the greatest obstacle you had to overcome in research and how did you overcome it? (200 word max)

+ COVID-19 essay

+ the diversity question

If you are a reapplicant but did not apply to Northwestern last time, should you still answer the reapplicant question?

If you are a reapplicant but did not apply to Northwestern last time, should you still answer the reapplicant question?
If you did not previously apply to Northwestern, you are not a reapplicant to Northwestern! :)

whoa no idea it was so soon! time to become 100x more neurotic (if that's even possible lol)
Also appears that applicants enter a brief "holistic review" phase first, indicating they are actually looking at your application. So we should have a nice warning before

• Hmm
Also appears that applicants enter a brief "holistic review" phase first, indicating they are actually looking at your application. So we should have a nice warning before
like our application status will change?

The master of science in law emails get me every time :,)

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
The master of science in law emails get me every time :,)
Sad Michael Jordan GIF

me unsubscribing

• Haha
Not sure if it is to be trusted, but someone apparently got an II here today according to the tracker

Not sure if it is to be trusted, but someone apparently got an II here today according to the tracker
The tracker is fairly notorious for attracting more than its fair share of trolling. When it happens (and it very well might have), you will see it reported right here, which is far more reliable than the tracker, which is also accessible from reddit.

Reactions: 2 users
The tracker is fairly notorious for attracting more than its fair share of trolling. When it happens (and it very well might have), you will see it reported right here, which is far more reliable than the tracker, which is also accessible from reddit.
that is true! saw someone get an "interview" from harvard with a 420 mcat and a 69 gpa on there lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
OOS II received today through email !!
So happy to be given this opportunity, one of my top schools for sure

OOS II today as well at 1337pst. First one of the cycle! Complete early July (7/3-7/10).

Last edited: