2021-2022 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for your time!
1. This is a bit of a more general question but how did you feel your transition was to medical school at Feinberg? Does the school do anything special to smooth the transition? Did you ever feel overwhelmed in the beginning or was it somewhat like your undergraduate experience?
2. I was wondering if you could talk a bit about the exams. I'm honestly not too fluent in the vocabulary but it's to my understanding that some schools have "soft" in-house exams versus other schools have NBME-style exams? Also what are the pass cutoffs around usually? Do you know if it's common to have to remediate?

Thank you in advance!
1. I feel my transition was very smooth. Feinberg has one week of "intro to professions" week that lets you get used to the class schedules, connect you to resources you can use throughout your time here, and social time to get to know classmates. The first 3 blocks are definitely made out to be "easier", as in, include things you've covered in undergrad. Of course, more in-depth, but I found it comforting to encounter stuff I already have seen when I was less used to the pacing of med school. I think that was definitely helpful. I actually felt the transition was easier compared to transitioning to undergrad.
2. FSM has in-house exams for the preclinical years. Pass (as of now) is either 70% OR 2 standard deviations from the mean (so if you are stats savy, you can deduce that if the exam score distribution is a bell curve every time, 97% of the class pass). Failing is rare and as long as you remediate (pass the exam in the re-take), you will not get a failing mark on your transcript. The admin is not there to trip you up --- they definitely really want you to pass.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
1. I feel my transition was very smooth. Feinberg has one week of "intro to professions" week that lets you get used to the class schedules, connect you to resources you can use throughout your time here, and social time to get to know classmates. The first 3 blocks are definitely made out to be "easier", as in, include things you've covered in undergrad. Of course, more in-depth, but I found it comforting to encounter stuff I already have seen when I was less used to the pacing of med school. I think that was definitely helpful. I actually felt the transition was easier compared to transitioning to undergrad.
2. FSM has in-house exams for the preclinical years. Pass (as of now) is either 70% OR 2 standard deviations from the mean (so if you are stats savy, you can deduce that if the exam score distribution is a bell curve every time, 97% of the class pass). Failing is rare and as long as you remediate (pass the exam in the re-take), you will not get a failing mark on your transcript. The admin is not there to trip you up --- they definitely really want you to pass.
Thanks again for your enlightening answers! Very reassuring to hear that your transition to Feinberg was smooth. Sorry, one more question I forgot to include: are you aware if the school has a cap on the proportion of students who can receive honors in clinicals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has interviewed in January or February been told when they plan on releasing the next batch of decisions?

Has anyone who has interviewed in January or February been told when they plan on releasing the next batch of decisions?
Late feb I believe. Based on past years I'd put money the 25th, but no guarantees.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone that received an acceptance in Jan, have you gotten your official mailed acceptance letter?

Hello! I was wondering if y'all think it's worth sending a second LOI at this point? I was deferred in late November and sent an update/LOI in mid December. I'm not sure how much I could add but this school is one of my top choices!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I was wondering if y'all think it's worth sending a second LOI at this point? I was deferred in late November and sent an update/LOI in mid December. I'm not sure how much I could add but this school is one of my top choices!
I'd say to only send another if you have an update. Otherwise I'd say the one in December would be sufficient. I doubt it would be a negative if you sent a second one anyway though so it's really up to you!

I would wait till decisions come out soon and then send after!

Hey guys, I was recently accepted to Feinberg (which is currently my top choice), but I would really like some advice on potentially deferring my med school matriculation by 1 year. I've been working in a service-oriented job for this past year with high school students, and I've really loved it so far, even more than I expected going into my gap year. As the school year comes to an end, I've been wondering if I should stay in my job another year to really solidify the infrastructure/culture I've helped cultivate in the school and make my impact more sustainable. However, I've been worried about the idea of a deferral and the process of requesting one.

First, the deadline to let my bosses know that I'll stay in my job for another year is coming up soon, even before I hear back from all the schools I interviewed at and before I receive any financial aid packages. I really do like Feinberg, but I could be swayed to choose another one depending on fin aid, so having to tell my bosses before I find out could be hard. On top of that, I'm unsure if Feinberg would even accept my reasons for deferral - do you know if Feinberg would accept professional development as a valid reason for deferral? Also, I've been concerned about calling the admissions office and asking about the deferral process because I know the admissions committee decides on merit aid for incoming students, and I've been worried that if I hint that I want a deferral, it could hurt my chances for receiving merit aid; anyone know if this is a valid concern or not? Finally, if you do receive merit and/or need based aid at Feinberg, does anyone know if they'll let you have the same package the following year if you defer?

Hey guys, I was recently accepted to Feinberg (which is currently my top choice), but I would really like some advice on potentially deferring my med school matriculation by 1 year. I've been working in a service-oriented job for this past year with high school students, and I've really loved it so far, even more than I expected going into my gap year. As the school year comes to an end, I've been wondering if I should stay in my job another year to really solidify the infrastructure/culture I've helped cultivate in the school and make my impact more sustainable. However, I've been worried about the idea of a deferral and the process of requesting one.

First, the deadline to let my bosses know that I'll stay in my job for another year is coming up soon, even before I hear back from all the schools I interviewed at and before I receive any financial aid packages. I really do like Feinberg, but I could be swayed to choose another one depending on fin aid, so having to tell my bosses before I find out could be hard. On top of that, I'm unsure if Feinberg would even accept my reasons for deferral - do you know if Feinberg would accept professional development as a valid reason for deferral? Also, I've been concerned about calling the admissions office and asking about the deferral process because I know the admissions committee decides on merit aid for incoming students, and I've been worried that if I hint that I want a deferral, it could hurt my chances for receiving merit aid; anyone know if this is a valid concern or not? Finally, if you do receive merit and/or need based aid at Feinberg, does anyone know if they'll let you have the same package the following year if you defer?
Congratulations!!! :) Based on all of your concerns and moving parts (fin aid, other schools, etc.), I do not think you are in a position to commit to the job now, so I think you should just forget it.

Once you receive a fin aid package it will not change, unless part of it is need based and your need changes. OTOH, yeah, if you are looking for merit aid and have not yet received it, letting them know you want to defer for a year is a reason to take merit money that might have gone to you and give it to someone who intends to enroll this year.

In addition, what will you do if you get another A from someone with a superior fin aid package after you commit, and they don't let your defer? My advice is to let it go and focus on your future career as a MD. Good luck!!

It’s good of you to want to be such a big part of it still, but I wouldn’t personally wouldn’t defer. Maybe try searching for a replacement for yourself or find some way to stay involved while attending school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I don't have any advice about your question but as an accepted student have you already received your aid package? I haven't heard anything from the fin aid department and I was a nov acceptance.
financial aid packages are released in March

Does anyone know if Feinberg is known to be pretty conservative with giving financial aid or are generous (or unremarkable somewhere in the middle)?

Does anyone know if Feinberg is known to be pretty conservative with giving financial aid or are generous (or unremarkable somewhere in the middle)?
I remember the students on interview day and in the virtual chat I went to spoke highly of the financial aid options and also mentioned that they were able to negotiate to improve their offers - they said the school was pretty receptive to this. I got the impression overall that financial aid is generous at Feinberg.
Not sure if anyone has differing opinions/outlooks on this though, so please share if you do!

Reactions: 2 users
I remember the students on interview day and in the virtual chat I went to spoke highly of the financial aid options and also mentioned that they were able to negotiate to improve their offers - they said the school was pretty receptive to this. I got the impression overall that financial aid is generous at Feinberg.
Not sure if anyone has differing opinions/outlooks on this though, so please share if you do!
I’ve also heard from current students that their office is receptive to negotiaing offers. I’ve also been told a few times (so I’m pretty sure it’s reliable) that they cap their aid at full tuition. So for FAP/ other near full need students, a few other schools may have better need based aid options which may cover tuition and some/all of COL as well. Besides that specific situation, I think they are generous and flexible with financial aid.

Their email earlier for those who didn't get in on the first decision day said march so my guess is next week
The email I received said late February/early March! My guess is either tomorrow or Thursday next week, given the history of releasing decisions on Thursdays in past years. Fingers crossed the wait won't take much longer!

Reactions: 4 users
The email I received said late February/early March! My guess is either tomorrow or Thursday next week, given the history of releasing decisions on Thursdays in past years. Fingers crossed the wait won't take much longer!
I could have sworn they said late Feb during my interview day in January but I may be misremembering and I did not write it down so take that with a big heaping bowl of salt. Either way, it looks like in the past couple of years they've sent out some round of decisions that last full week of February, so here's hoping.

This may be a dumb question but Feinberg is my number 1 choice school out of the acceptances I have received. I have no doubt about selecting "plan to enroll" on my AMCAS tool, but given that they haven't given out scholarships yet, I am afraid to do so. Do you think that by showing them that I am already planning on enrolling in the school, I may reduce my chances of getting a scholarship?

This may be a dumb question but Feinberg is my number 1 choice school out of the acceptances I have received. I have no doubt about selecting "plan to enroll" on my AMCAS tool, but given that they haven't given out scholarships yet, I am afraid to do so. Do you think that by showing them that I am already planning on enrolling in the school, I may reduce my chances of getting a scholarship?
They can't see that you have PTE'd, they can only see aggregate data (i.e. 50% of A's have PTE'd) until like May 1st or something

• Care
They can't see that you have PTE'd, they can only see aggregate data (i.e. 50% of A's have PTE'd) until like May 1st or something
This^^^^. Until May 2nd this year, you get no brownie points, nor any negative consequences, for either choosing or not choosing PTE at any school. All it does is give schools an early, rough, non-binding and purely aggregate view into how many of their As have chosen them, someone else, or no one at all.

It doesn't get traced back to you, and consequently doesn't help or hurt. Make a selection if you are so inclined, or don't. It's entirely up to you.

does anyone remember if they said second look weekend would be in person vs virtual?

does anyone remember if they said second look weekend would be in person vs virtual?
I believe in person. My friend goes there as an M1 and said they were able to sign up to be hosts for the in person second look this year

• Love
Just got the A!!! Super excited, I really love this school!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the A! Definitely totally in love with this place!

WL but will be declining 😎 congrats to those accepted

WL, pretty bummed, according to MSAR they only take 10 off the waitlist. Damn, I really wanted this one

Just got the A, can't believe it!! My top choice XD

• Love
Got the A! Ecstatic! Interviewed Aug.

WL, deferred in Jan, really sad because I loved this program - but I guess it makes my decision easier! Go blue devils

WL, feeling pretty down since I thought the Interview went well. Do they do Post-II R or does everyone just get WL/A?