2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here weighing multiple offers? Would love to chat and have a conversation. Feel free to PM me.

Would love to chat! I'm in the same position, and confused :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Well friends, officially got the R today over email a little after 6. A little disappointed, but still trying to hold my head up high! Congrats to everyone accepted or still under consideration! Looks like yall are gonna have to find yourself a new music composer...

Thank you to everyone in this thread as well as SOM Admissions for the support and quick feedback. An environment with a supportive student and faculty environment, as seen here, will undoubtedly succeed. Best of luck to everyone here!

To everyone still reading this thread, let’s not let the R slow us down! We’ll find our place soon. Hang in there, friends.

Adios to all!

Aww...I figured out of everyone, you had a great chance, with your love for the school'n'all.

They’re filling the class by their last committee meeting which is on 4/19. We’ll know if we’ve been accepted rejected or waitlisted by then.

Is the last committee meeting on 4/18 or 4/19? The paper I received on says 4/18, but the other committee meetings have been on Friday...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the last committee meeting on 4/18 or 4/19? The paper I received on says 4/18, but the other committee meetings have been on Friday...

My guess is that the document they gave us is correct because the 19th is Good Friday but I could be wrong

Reactions: 1 user

So sorry about that! You're right. The committee meets on 4/18, not 4/19. I edited my original post to reflect this.

@SOM Admissions

Do you guys have a sample weekly schedule? I was a bit confused during the interview regarding when is white space, small group meetings, which days are at which campus and which activities are alternated one afternoon a week. This would be very helpful in getting an image of the weeks will look like.

Absolutely - here is a screen shot of a typical week in for the first 14 months (phase 1) and a sample schedule of the next phase, Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship.

Reactions: 8 users
@SOM Admissions I just saw the information for second look and had a question about guests. Besides the baseball game, should we bring our guest to any other events or are those for the prospective students only? Thanks again for all your help on this forum!

We will send an announcement to all invited for Second Look Weekend about other events that have been opened for guests - hope to get this message out today/tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
@SOM Admissions will the final committee meeting announce only the waitlist or acceptances as well? If I may ask, do you think you’ll accept a larger number on that date than we’ve seen thus far? I remember at the interview, acceptances would be given conservatively initially.

@SOM Admissions will the final committee meeting announce only the waitlist or acceptances as well? If I may ask, do you think you’ll accept a larger number on that date than we’ve seen thus far? I remember at the interview, acceptances would be given conservatively initially.

The last round of admission decisions (one of three outcomes) for those who interviewed today and anyone remaining under consideration: acceptance, released and the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This hurts. I knew it was coming since interviews are finished, but it is still very disheartening. Guess my application just wasn’t good enough.

This hurts. I knew it was coming since interviews are finished, but it is still very disheartening. Guess my application just wasn’t good enough.

I am really sorry for the distressing times you are going through. As someone who has low stats and went through 3 applications cycles, going from being straight rejected prior to a II to pouring my soul in my interview and getting WL and ultimately not accepted, I can't tell you the number of times I have told myself that. I know that no matter what anyone says to you nothing will change the reality of you having been rejected, but don't take the rejection as something personal because it will shake your confidence and you will second guess yourself.

I think the reason this cycle turned out different for me compared to my previous cycles despite the low odds of interviewing and my low stats was simply because I had a better fit to the schools I applied to this time around compared to the ones in previous years (and of course my stubbornness in not wanting to give up medicine). So if you have to reapply, thinking about this wouldn't be a bad idea. I hope that as you take some time to heal over this, you are able to confide with your support group about how you feel, and remind yourself how bad you want this and why you want to do medicine. These gave me the strength to keep going when I was deep in that hole buried in my insecurities and I hope they do to you too.

I wish you good luck for the remainder of the cycle, and if you need someone to talk to don't hesitate to dm.

Reactions: 15 users
I am really sorry for the distressing times you are going through. As someone who has low stats and went through 3 applications cycles, going from being straight rejected prior to a II to pouring my soul in my interview and getting WL and ultimately not accepted, I can't tell you the number of times I have told myself that. I know that no matter what anyone says to you nothing will change the reality of you having been rejected, but don't take the rejection as something personal because it will shake your confidence and you will second guess yourself.

I think the reason this cycle turned out different for me compared to my previous cycles despite the low odds of interviewing and my low stats was simply because I had a better fit to the schools I applied to this time around compared to the ones in previous years (and of course my stubbornness in not wanting to give up medicine). So if you have to reapply, thinking about this wouldn't be a bad idea. I hope that as you take some time to heal over this, you are able to confide with your support group about how you feel, and remind yourself how bad you want this and why you want to do medicine. These gave me the strength to keep going when I was deep in that hole buried in my insecurities and I hope they do to you too.

I wish you good luck for the remainder of the cycle, and if you need someone to talk to don't hesitate to dm.

Thank you for the support and encouraging words. Your grit and resilience is motivating. I wish you the very best!

This school turned out to be a real disappointment tbh. "We're gonna start rejecting people who we don't plan to interview in January" my ass. Feels kind of lame to play the "look at us, we're better than other schools cause we comment on our SDN thread" card but then do the same ghosting that the other schools all love to do, especially when you promised to not do that. IDK, maybe I'm just salty cause I'm a failure in life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fair. We erred on the side of caution so not to release prematurely and with this feedback, we will refine for next cycle.

Reactions: 8 users
This school turned out to be a real disappointment tbh. "We're gonna start rejecting people who we don't plan to interview in January" my ass. Feels kind of lame to play the "look at us, we're better than other schools cause we comment on our SDN thread" card but then do the same ghosting that the other schools all love to do, especially when you promised to not do that. IDK, maybe I'm just salty cause I'm a failure in life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It may feel like it right now, but you are not a failure! No one can really pin point exactly what these admissions committees are looking for in their applicants and that aspect of this process truly sucks but hang in there the best you can. I hope you hear some good news before the end of this cycle! Don't give up though!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You know what, you replied to a random angry message I wrote sleep deprived right after seeing the R at 5 AM that I didn't expect or want you to see. TBH kudos for that. Probably too aggressively worded so I deleted it.

I get it. Really, I do and my caution to you and all:

Always write, leave alone and come back to any emotional message before posting. I've watched colleagues sour careers after sending similar messages. Blogs or anonymity aside, you all live in a discoverable era. Be angry, mad, upset - normal reaction - but don’t limit your future.

Reactions: 22 users
While I am extremely disappointed with a pre-II rejection, I think the mission and values of this program are truly unique. I am looking forward to reflecting on the feedback and applying again in the future! A HUGE thank you to @SOM Admissions for being so responsive and making the first cycle of admissions as clear as possible. Good luck to everybody starting school here this summer, and best wishes for everyone still waiting on a decision. For everyone else (myself included), keep trucking along! This process is definitely overwhelming and discouraging at times, but something constructive can be taken away from every failure. I hope to see y'all on here the next time around!

Another applicant rejected chiming in. Was on hold for three weeks before finding out the decision. Though I was incredibly disappointed, I fell in love with the school and their approach during interview day and can't wait to apply again. With this application season wrapping up, I was wondering when information for the upcoming application season will be updated on the website? Also, I know the decision email said that feedback was not available, but again with the application season wrapping up, I was curious if it would be possible to speak to someone from the school to go over my application and ways to improve my next application?

I enjoyed following this thread the past couple months, good luck to all of you starting this summer. Hopefully I'll be joining you all soon

Another Friday is here. Got my first hold last week.
I'm really hoping today is the day the clouds finally part, and the sun shares its loving warmth. +pity+
Really hoping for a decision today, especially if it's rejection so that I can prepare for the upcoming application cycle.
Just want to wish everyone good luck. May some luck favor us all. :spitoutpacifier:

Reactions: 5 users
My heart starts beating so fast around this time! :D

I hate to be extra but uhhhhhh it's 6:33! :rofl:

• Haha
I hate to be extra but uhhhhhh it's 6:33! :rofl:
I was about to make another post but I didn't want to make it seem like I was spamming. WHERE ARE YOU TCU IM DYING OVER HERE.

Everyone calm down, they said that they send out decisions once they are done reviewing for the day. They never said they would send out decisions on a set time. Hang in there.

• Sad
That moment when a Texas number pulls up on caller ID... and it’s a telemarketer. The world is too cruel.

I had a call from a 00000000... number while i was at a family conference and i tried calling back, but ofc not possible. How do admissions get ahold of us to notify us of the decision

I had a call from a 00000000... number while i was at a family conference and i tried calling back, but ofc not possible. How do admissions get ahold of us to notify us of the decision

From the interview:

If you are accepted, they will call you. If you don’t pick up, they will leave a voice mail asking you to call back. If you still don’t call back, they’ll just email you

If you’re on hold/rejected you get an email.

Everyone calm down, they said that they send out decisions once they are done reviewing for the day. They never said they would send out decisions on a set time. Hang in there.

I know. We’re just being silly, having a little fun!

Hold email this morning at 6:59am!

Accepted! This is unreal! They sure know how to wake up someone with no coffee. I am still wondering if i am asleep

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Accepted! This is unreal! They sure know how to wake up someone with no coffee. I am still wondering if i am asleep

Omg congratulations!!! That’s amazing news to wake up to!

Still in the running over here! Another hold. Soo grateful☺️

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I also received a hold email again this morning! Congrats to those accepted!

Yeah but this time they know they have interviewed everyone and they have to make their final selections. This will no doubt be a longer and more complex meeting.
Welp another hold email :slap:Congrats to those accepted!

@SOM Admissions Will your team be providing an academic profile for the class soon so that those of us considering re-applying to your school can better make that decision, as well as number of applications you received (both primary and secondary)? And will that be on here or just reported to AAMC and accessible via MSAR?

Thanks.