2017-2018 Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1!!!! I literally cried on the phone and she was laughing haha.

I also got the email but did anyone else's portal not change?

What time zone are you in?

Members don't see this ad.

for the people that got off the alternate list, how long ago did you send your letter of intent? i.e. recently, or when you first got on the waitlist?

Sent it about 2 weeks after I got alternate listed in early March... so I’d say I submitted it March 15th

for the people that got off the alternate list, how long ago did you send your letter of intent? i.e. recently, or when you first got on the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
also got the call--super pumped!! not sure if accepting though (pending aid package) if not i hope my spot goes to one of you!!

Reactions: 2 users
Also got the call this morning! A dream come true!! I sent in a letter of intent pretty recently

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone accepted! Also sent a letter of intent - any idea how many more acceptances they'll be extending? Or are they likely done?

Congrats to everyone accepted! Also sent a letter of intent - any idea how many more acceptances they'll be extending? Or are they likely done?
Well earlier I think someone said they accept about 10 people off the WL and 4 people on SDN (small sample) have reported getting a phone call so there is definitely a possibility they are done.

I feel dumb for asking this question but do I have to withdraw from my other school before I can accept this one?

Also accepted today, super excited! Very likely to attend.

I feel dumb for asking this question but do I have to withdraw from my other school before I can accept this one?
You don't have to, there's a grace period of 5 days to a week where you can hold both of the acceptances before deciding.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many days we have to accept the waitlist? I was trying to hard to not be a emotional wreck during the call.

Dr. Kundu told me 5 business days, but said that could be extended so we could review our financial aid package.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would any student (or anyone who went to second look) mind answering a few questions about the school?

Last edited:
Well earlier I think someone said they accept about 10 people off the WL and 4 people on SDN (small sample) have reported getting a phone call so there is definitely a possibility they are done.

I called the office today and a very nice staff member told me (paraphrase) they were pretty sure there'd be more movement, just no idea when and where!

I called the office today and a very nice staff member told me (paraphrase) they were pretty sure there'd be more movement, just no idea when and where!
Glad to know there's still hope - thanks for calling them!

Hi all! Just got off the waitlist. Was just wondering if there was any way we can find out about housing information/etc.? I assume there is a Facebook group, but I'm not on Facebook.
What about start dates/forms we have to fill out? I filled out the confirmation on the portal regarding my acceptance, but have not received any follow up, except 1 email from financial aid.

Thank you!

Would any student (or anyone who went to second look) mind answering a few questions about the school?
I’m a current upperclassman and would be happy to answer questions. CONGRATS on those accepted recently we are thrilled to have you as our peers.
Also people can get off the waitlist at any point (even weeks before white coat ceremony), it all depends on what accepted students decide.

I’m a current upperclassman and would be happy to answer questions. CONGRATS on those accepted recently we are thrilled to have you as our peers.

Also people can get off the waitlist at any point (even weeks before white coat ceremony), it all depends on what accepted students decide.

For someone that doesn't want to pay to live in River North or Streeterville, is Lincoln Park a good place to live? It seems that most Feinberg students stay close to campus but are there those that live a little further away?

Can any one shed any light on the drug screening policy listed on the admitted students things to do page? Are we required to go to a third party and take a drug test on our own? or is this something that is done when we arrive on campus?

Heres the policy from the admitted students pdf.
Drug Screen- All accepted Feinberg students will be required to undergo drug testing for commonly abused controlled substances prior to matriculation at Feinberg in August. The exact deadline and details for completion of drug testing to be provided at a later date.

How were people's fin aid packages here? I just got mine and don't know how to feel.

Does anybody have info about many people are usually put on the waitlist here?

For someone that doesn't want to pay to live in River North or Streeterville, is Lincoln Park a good place to live? It seems that most Feinberg students stay close to campus but are there those that live a little further away?

Lincoln Park is really not far at all and an awesome place to live. There are definitely people further north (Lakeview, Wrigleyville, even Edgewater) and south (South Loop). Just make sure you are reasonably close to the Red Line or a bus line- many of them go down lakeshore drive and are a fast way to get to campus.

Can any one shed any light on the drug screening policy listed on the admitted students things to do page? Are we required to go to a third party and take a drug test on our own? or is this something that is done when we arrive on campus?

Heres the policy from the admitted students pdf.
Drug Screen- All accepted Feinberg students will be required to undergo drug testing for commonly abused controlled substances prior to matriculation at Feinberg in August. The exact deadline and details for completion of drug testing to be provided at a later date.

I don't remember this being a thing when I was admitted so it must be new. Since it says details and deadlines are provided later just wait for more emails and you'll be fine. And don't do drugs? haha.

Did not accept the WL offer...emailed them today. I really really hope my spot goes to one of you!

To applicants accepted off the wait list, how long after submitting the required documents did you receive your financial aid package?

To applicants accepted off the wait list, how long after submitting the required documents did you receive your financial aid package?
4 business days. It was pretty fast, but getting the NU email adress was kind of slow.

Has anyone heard anything from current MD/MPH students about how the program is or what it is like managing the MD curriculum with the added MPH classes?

Has anyone heard anything from current MD/MPH students about how the program is or what it is like managing the MD curriculum with the added MPH classes?

Hey I am a current MD/MPH Student st Feinberg. Do you have any specific questions?

Congratulations! That has got to feel good :) I'm crazy jealous, but this gives me a glimmer of hope that mayyyybeee we'll see more movement?
Couldn't be more excited :). Best of luck, hopefully there will be more - I'm rooting for you!

Just wanted to let you guys know that a friend of mine was accepted off the waitlist this week.

Was anyone in the regular MD program able to cover their full cost of attendance at Northwestern using a combination of their merit- and need-based aid?
Thank you.

Was anyone in the regular MD program able to cover their full cost of attendance at Northwestern using a combination of their merit- and need-based aid?
Thank you.

Fortunately and unfortunately you can get all the need based aid you need to afford tuition and cost of living in Chicago.

Fortunately and unfortunately you can get all the need based aid you need to afford tuition and cost of living in Chicago.
Thank you. Is it possible for some to do so without loans?

Thank you. Is it possible for some to do so without loans?

If people come from families who can afford it or somehow worked enough before med school to afford it! Many of my classmates have significant or full family support.