2017-2018 Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the distinctive educational philosophy and curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution. (Limit your response to 200 words).

Describe the steps you take to reduce your personal stress when confronted with difficult situations. (Limit your response to 200 words)

Feinberg's mission is to impact the practice of medicine through discovery and education. With consideration of FSM's goal to train future leaders in medicine, please describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow. (Limit your response to 200 words).

(if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans. (Limit your response to 200 words).

Many, many check boxes about diversity and then this: Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about your selections above and how you would enrich the Northwestern community. (Limit your response to 200 words).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can any successful applicants comment on what they did for their secondary essay, in regards to this question:

"Describe the coping skills (not problem solving skills) you use when confronted with difficult situations. (Limit your response to 200 words)"

Should we talk about a time we faced adversity, and how we coped/overcame the issue? Or should we talk about generally, how we deal with stress, something like: "When confronted with challenges or stress, I try to maintain a rational mind, play guitar, etc."?

Thanks for the help.

Can any successful applicants comment on what they did for their secondary essay, in regards to this question:

"Describe the coping skills (not problem solving skills) you use when confronted with difficult situations. (Limit your response to 200 words)"

Should we talk about a time we faced adversity, and how we coped/overcame the issue? Or should we talk about generally, how we deal with stress, something like: "When confronted with challenges or stress, I try to maintain a rational mind, play guitar, etc."?

Thanks for the help.

I am not a successful student.

But I wrote about I challenge I encountered and how specifically what I did in response and my feelings about the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the help.

Hey I'm starting my first year at Feinberg next month. I wrote about the latter/how I lower stress and relax.

Also a current applicant, but I combined the two -- a very short story about a challenging time in my life and what coping skills I developed from it/how I still use those.

Got a fee waiver here that came by MAIL. did not show up in e-mail.

Not sure if it was for the MCAT score or urm status or both. just a heads up

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received! Good luck everyone! @Lucca

Given the distinctive educational philosophy and curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution. (Limit your response to 200 words).

Describe the steps you take to reduce your personal stress when confronted with difficult situations. (Limit your response to 200 words)

Feinberg's mission is to impact the practice of medicine through discovery and education. With consideration of FSM's goal to train future leaders in medicine, please describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow. (Limit your response to 200 words).

(if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans. (Limit your response to 200 words).

Many, many check boxes about diversity and then this: Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about your selections above and how you would enrich the Northwestern community. (Limit your response to 200 words).

Any other re-applicants rerouted to last year's payment confirmation page upon logging into supplemental app?

I was able to a few hours ago, but for some reason it keeps saying my information is incorrect. I'm pretty sure I know my first and last name though..
Edit: never mind it just started working again

Application seems kind of glitchy. Anyone else getting an error message on the "personal information" page that seems to be related to uploading your picture?

Can any students comment on what is unique about Northwestern in terms of curriculum / teaching style / educational philosophy?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does it look bad if I don't check any of the boxes in the diversity section? Each portion says "optional," and what I'm writing for my narrative is not relevant to what I would check in the boxes

Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about your selections above and how you would enrich the Northwestern community. (Limit your response to 200 words).

Okay... are they seriously asking us to "provide more detail" on being a straight white male who checked off zero boxes in diversity of social background? The way this is phrased, it seems that you could write about how you would enrich the community in general without referring to the diversity checklist, but also (emphasis on and) you have to provide more details about your checklist selections. Am I reading this right?

Okay... are they seriously asking us to "provide more detail" on being a straight white male who checked off zero boxes in diversity of social background? The way this is phrased, it seems that you could write about how you would enrich the community in general without referring to the diversity checklist, but also (emphasis on and) you have to provide more details about your checklist selections. Am I reading this right?

One option is to check "Other" in the "Social Background" section and write in whatever your diversity essay is based on

For the stress management essay, are we supposed to talk about what we do to relieve stress (e.g. hanging out with friends, watch movies, etc.), or are we supposed to talk about how we calm ourselves when we're caught up in stress? like, ways we change our mindset to alter the way we think about stress?

For the stress management essay, are we supposed to talk about what we do to relieve stress (e.g. hanging out with friends, watch movies, etc.), or are we supposed to talk about how we calm ourselves when we're caught up in stress? like, ways we change our mindset to alter the way we think about stress?

It's open-ended so write whatever you think is best for them to know! I approached it as a way to show that I am a normal human being with friends + family as a support system, my own hobbies to take away negative energy, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
It's open-ended so write whatever you think is best for them to know! I approached it as a way to show that I am a normal human being with friends + family as a support system, my own hobbies to take away negative energy, etc.
Posting to get on the alert feed. Hi :)

Has anyone who submitted their application received a complete email? I submitted a while ago but I havent got anything.

Has anyone who submitted their application received a complete email? I submitted a while ago but I havent got anything.

I submitted 7/6 and noticed I was complete 7/11, which is likely accurate because I check daily. I did not receive an email with receipt of completion, I just kept checking back at the portal :)

Well the subject of the email was

YOUR APPLICATION AND FEE CONFIRMATION FOR THE FEINBERG SCHOOL OFMEDICINE

I'm sure google saw the title in all caps and sent the email to my spam folder

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Well the subject of the email was

YOUR APPLICATION AND FEE CONFIRMATION FOR THE FEINBERG SCHOOL OFMEDICINE

I'm sure google saw the title in all caps and sent the email to my spam folder

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks! I got that too :)

Application seems kind of glitchy. Anyone else getting an error message on the "personal information" page that seems to be related to uploading your picture?
i am also experiencing the same problem. is it still glitchy for you?
Edit: nvm i just used a different browser and it works now!

i am also experiencing the same problem. is it still glitchy for you?
Edit: nvm i just used a different browser and it works now!

My app kept glitching when trying to upload the photo as well. I emailed and asked them to add my attached headshot to my file. They were more than happy to do so. But sounds like switching browsers works too!

Are you guys interpreting the stress question to be like what you do in your personal time to get rid of stress or what you do when there is a challenging problem? I feel like it leans towards the second, but am having trouble not dipping into a"how do you solve problems" essay.

Are you guys interpreting the stress question to be like what you do in your personal time to get rid of stress or what you do when there is a challenging problem? I feel like it leans towards the second, but am having trouble not dipping into a"how do you solve problems" essay.
This has been discussed earlier in the thread only a few scrolls up.

Anyone else add Northwestern late and not receive a secondary yet? (I know they send them to everyone eventually but I'm trying to decide how long to wait before I email them about it)

Could anybody (especially current students) please comment on ECMH and Individual Preceptorships? Seems like the website splits first year students into one (but not both) of these. How do they decide who gets put into which group? For IP's, how do they decide who you get paired with as a mentor?

Thanks!

I didn't actually know much about Feinberg until I researched it for my "Why us" essay, but I found myself really liking it

But yeah I think everyone gets a secondary

What does everyone's status read?

Mine is currently: "We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation."

I don't want to start pestering them with follow ups to get my app completed if some of us are still seeing the same thing and they're just getting through the app piles.

I submitted the secondary and paid the application fee earlier today but have not gotten any sort of email confirmation about my submission or payment. When I log into the secondary portal it reads:

"Thank you for your application to the Feinberg School of Medicine. You have now paid the $95 application fee. You will receive an email confirmation of your payment from CollegeNET within the next several hours. You should print and save this page for your records. The information below can be used to track your application should you have any questions."

Should I write them an email or does it typically take a while to get the confirmation email? Anyone else have this issue?

I submitted the secondary and paid the application fee earlier today but have not gotten any sort of email confirmation about my submission or payment. When I log into the secondary portal it reads:

"Thank you for your application to the Feinberg School of Medicine. You have now paid the $95 application fee. You will receive an email confirmation of your payment from CollegeNET within the next several hours. You should print and save this page for your records. The information below can be used to track your application should you have any questions."

Should I write them an email or does it typically take a while to get the confirmation email? Anyone else have this issue?
It could take 1 or 2 days to get an email confirmation. Did it go to your spam folder? That happened to me.

"Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about your selections above and how you would enrich the Northwestern community"

How do you answer this if you're a straight white male without a unique background? My diversity essay is unrelated to my race, ethnicity, sexual identity, etc.

"Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about your selections above and how you would enrich the Northwestern community"

How do you answer this if you're a straight white male without a unique background? My diversity essay is unrelated to my race, ethnicity, sexual identity, etc.
I was kinda upset by the way they forced you to write an essay based on your selections. You could choose "other" I suppose.

I was kinda upset by the way they forced you to write an essay based on your selections. You could choose "other" I suppose.
They specifically state everyone has their own story. I am urm. I have never mentioned my race in any application.

When do they generally start sending IIs out?