2018-2019 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many of y’all are going to live by yourselfs in Chicago? Do most people get roommates?

Yes most people get roommates. Getting a studio in streeterville is on the more expensive side (1700ish per month). In a 2 bed/2 bath or a 3/3 in streeterville you can expect to pay around 1200-1400 per month. If you move outside of streeterville the cost drastically decreases.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone who put down MD/MPH or other dual degree program know if the financial aid package on Caesar includes the aid for the additional degree?

It probably does not. If I recall correctly the first year the MD/MPH students got their MPH financial aid 1-2 months after the MD program started. The MPH program is on a different schedule than the MD program so their start dates aren't aligned.

Just officially committed here! So excited to meet you all in a few months!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any other WL folks feeling anxious / naively hopeful today haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Has anybody / anybody’s friend gotten the call today?

Reactions: 2 users
No :/ there’s gotta be some movement at feinberg this year right?

Fingers crossed! In past years they have done it right away so hopefully some movement happens this week

Reactions: 3 users
Fingers crossed! In past years they have done it right away so hopefully some movement happens this week
Maybe this Feinberg Friday? We'll get some news then?
I don't understand why so many people were rejected/ waitlisted this year post interview. It seems way off the ~70% post interview acceptance rate that was circulated in previous years.

I don't understand why so many people were rejected/ waitlisted this year post interview. It seems way off the ~70% post interview acceptance rate that was circulated in previous years.

I agree. Seems like either their yield went up significantly or (hopefully for us) there will be more As off the waitlist this year.

Reactions: 1 user
How do we know that a lot of people were rejected/WL'ed? Based on SDN posts?

How do we know that a lot of people were rejected/WL'ed? Based on SDN posts?
Yes I should have added what I said is 100% based on my observations on SDN- we've had a few rejections and given that Feinberg one year interviewed roughly 700, accepted around 500, and matriculated ~160 it is weird there's so many waitlist to acceptance numbers, and any rejects at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't stress guys! I'm sure there will be a lot of WL movement! SO many people on the help me decide threads even dropped Feinberg. Then a bunch of others who got accepted in the first wave in the fall also dropped -- WL accepts are still included in that 70% acceptance rate, just keep up the wait!

Reactions: 4 users
Don't stress guys! I'm sure there will be a lot of WL movement! SO many people on the help me decide threads even dropped Feinberg. Then a bunch of others who got accepted in the first wave in the fall also dropped -- WL accepts are still included in that 70% acceptance rate, just keep up the wait!

Thanks for the positivity! :)

Does anyone know if NW would still consider matching scholarships if you get one from a school you were WL at?

Anybody starting to worry Feinberg already filled their class? Sorry in advance to spread anxiety :\

Good call. I’ll be back at 6:01 :nailbiting:
I hate to be the one to prolong anxiety (arguably more than I hate to be the messenger of bad news), but if not this Friday next Friday is also possible. After that I give up also

dang still nothing?! maybe they did fill the class...

Do we just email the admissions office to withdraw an acceptance?

One of my friends got off the waitlist yesterday via a phone call around 1:30 PST. He interviewed mid-January and sent several updates and LOI.

Reactions: 4 users
anyone think there will be more calls? definitely losing hope now :/

I’m personally assuming 80% of WL movement occurs in the first couple weeks so if there’s no good news by Friday, you’d think chances become quite slim.

I’m personally assuming 80% of WL movement occurs in the first couple weeks so if there’s no good news by Friday, you’d think chances become quite slim.
It seems like WL movement might trickle more slowly this year because of the change in traffic rules. WL movement is kind of a chain reaction between multiple schools, so if a few were thrown off by the traffic rule changes, it would slow other schools as well.

It seems like WL movement might trickle more slowly this year because of the change in traffic rules. WL movement is kind of a chain reaction between multiple schools, so if a few were thrown off by the traffic rule changes, it would slow other schools as well.

That’s a fair point. I think the neurotic pre-med in me simply wants to make some sort of hard deadline out of a waitlist, which is by definition indefinite :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Still in silence over here :/ Starting to really worry they've filled their class haha.

• Sad
An adcom posting on the waitlist support thread has made me think that Feinberg will still pull some people from the waitlist. It sounds like they’re feeling things out with the new traffic rules. I hope I’m not wrong lol

tbt to being excited about that 70%+ after interview acceptance rate

sad reacts only

• Sad
Has anyone called the admissions office to get more waitlist info? Do we know if they have open spots from people withdrawing? I am surprised to only see one acceptance off WL reported on here. Usually they are more...

Has anyone called the admissions office to get more waitlist info? Do we know if they have open spots from people withdrawing? I am surprised to only see one acceptance off WL reported on here. Usually they are more...
I called a couple days ago and they said to expect movement this month and June, but that was it. Nothing about the number of spots expected to open or anything else in terms of details.

I called a couple days ago and they said to expect movement this month and June, but that was it. Nothing about the number of spots expected to open or anything else in terms of details.

At least good to hear that they anticipate sending out some more acceptances. Thanks for sharing!

I just got my deferral approved, so hopefully that means one of y'all will get pulled off the waitlist. Best of luck!

Putting off matriculation for a year and getting a guaranteed spot in the next year's class. Usually if the person wants to take an extra gap year or something.

I just got my deferral approved, so hopefully that means one of y'all will get pulled off the waitlist. Best of luck!
I wanted to message you to ask you about the deferral process, but it's not an available option for me due to privacy settings. Do you think you could DM me?

What does deferral approved mean?
After you get accepted to a med school you can ask the admissions whether you could defer a year and join in with next year's matriculating class- basically, take a gap year even after you are accepted to med school.

Does anyone know how Feinberg is about matching scholarships ?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how Feinberg is about matching scholarships ?
Supposedly really good, but I have no personal experience to back it up, just what I've heard on here. They also specifically said to send in your other offers on interview day

This late in the game there’s probably not much scholarship money but who knows, just gotta ask and see

Heads up: Was going through the fb group last night with a friend who is attending, and there have been ~10 new additions to the group recently (last friday and this tuesday). None of them appear to be current students. One of those was a friend who I know for a fact got in off the WL. Seems like there’s been more WL movement than indicated on this forum.

Just DM'd you. If anyone else wants to know about the deferral process let me know.

I wanted to message you to ask you about the deferral process, but it's not an available option for me due to privacy settings. Do you think you could DM me?

After you get accepted to a med school you can ask the admissions whether you could defer a year and join in with next year's matriculating class- basically, take a gap year even after you are accepted to med school.

I was told movement just started last week and they anticipate more. Other than that, not much to do but, well . . . wait ;)