2017-2018 Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 1/31, accepted by email today at 4pm PCT! I was in the zoo and ended up hunched over one of the exhibits and called my parents immediately. First acceptance of this cycle and it's from one of my top choices so I was absolutely thrilled!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Interviewed 1/31, accepted by email today at 4pm PCT! I was in the zoo and ended up hunched over one of the exhibits and called my parents immediately. First acceptance of this cycle and it's from one of my top choices so I was absolutely thrilled!!!!!!
Dang congrats! That's a really quick turnaround! Did you send a letter of intent at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea of course, last week of January so about 2 weeeks ago
Congratulations! That's a fast turnaround. I also interviewed the last days of January and didn't hear anything so I guess that means yet another hold/deferral for me. SIGH I know my interviews aren't bad. I guess they just aren't stellar.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! That's a fast turnaround. I also interviewed the last days of January and didn't hear anything so I guess that means yet another hold/deferral for me. SIGH I know my interviews aren't bad. I guess they just aren't stellar.
In the same boat!

Are merit scholarships awarded at the time of acceptance or at a later time?

Same. Except early January and I feel like I bombed one of the interviews part.
Do they go in order after reviewing applications post-interview? I feel like us early/mid January interviewers would have gotten a deferral already if they're accepting people from late January.

Do they go in order after reviewing applications post-interview? I feel like us early/mid January interviewers would have gotten a deferral already if they're accepting people from late January.

They do not. I interviewed early November and was deferred after late November people were deferred.

So if you interviewed end of Jan and haven’t heard anything what does It mean?

So if you interviewed end of Jan and haven’t heard anything what does It mean?
Honestly I dont know what anything "means" anymore but at the very least it suggests they didn't like us as much as the 2 posters ^ who got acceptance emails yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I dont know what anything "means" anymore but at the very least it suggests they didn't like us as much as the 2 posters ^ who got acceptance emails yesterday.
It could also just be that they haven’t gotten to our file yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang congrats! That's a really quick turnaround! Did you send a letter of intent at all?
I didn't! Also, I think letter of intent is for post-waitlist when you also have acceptance to a similar/higher caliber school. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Accepted today! :)

Interviewed late November and was deferred in January.

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted today! :)

Interviewed late November and was deferred in January.
so-it-begins.jpg

Also accepted today, interviewed in late September and was deferred in October! What a great Sunday evening surprise...

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today as well! Interviewed late September and deferred late October. Was not expecting to hear back this week!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!! Interviewed in September, deferred in October!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm thinking the acceptance of the deferred candidates does not bode well for my not hearing anything after my late January interview. Does everyone agree?

I'm thinking the acceptance of the deferred candidates does not bode well for my not hearing anything after my late January interview. Does everyone agree?
I think the more likely possibility is they haven’t decided on your app yet since you interviewed so recently. Looks like most of the reported acceptances were for deferred applicants who interviewed earlier in the cycle.

Well we’ll find out this week for sure lol I feel the same way as you though i don’t think it’s meant to be for us :(.

So if I interviewed late September and was deferred and haven't heard back how bad does that look for my chances?

So if I interviewed late September and was deferred and haven't heard back how bad does that look for my chances?

Last year, post-deferral decisions went out intermittently over a month after the first day of deferral decisions, which seems to have been yesterday. Time to check my email every 5 minutes!
Note: They also do not necessarily review us in chronological order.

Last edited:
+1 on the silent treatment. I interviewed in mid-October, was deferred, and haven't heard anything.

Last year, post-deferral decisions went out intermittently over a month after the first day of deferral decisions, which seems to have been yesterday. Time to check my email every 5 minutes!
Note: They also do not necessarily review us in chronological order.

It looks like it's not chronological, considering someone who interviewed in November and someone who interviewed in September were both accepted after being deferred.

ACCEPTED!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. Submitted secondary the day I received it in July, interviewed end of January wow. Crazy to see my post from August last year when I attended white coat here and talked about dreaming of doing it one day myself.

Reactions: 11 users
ACCEPTED!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. Submitted secondary the day I received it in July, interviewed end of January wow. Crazy to see my post from August last year when I attended white coat here and talked about dreaming of doing it one day myself.
Congrats! Did you just find out today?

Yep! Was walking out of Feinberg's library when I got the email! Dreams do come true.

so if our portal said decision "deferred until march" should we be expecting any news in february?

deferred people who just got in- did your portal say anything about a deferral until march or were you just deferred indefinitely?

so if our portal said decision "deferred until march" should we be expecting any news in february?

deferred people who just got in- did your portal say anything about a deferral until march or were you just deferred indefinitely?
My portal said that I was deferred until March up until I got the acceptance email.

Interviewed mid January and haven't heard anything yet...hmm

Any new news from any late January interviews? Crickets for me...

Anyone else hoping for another Sunday night batch of decisions?

Anyone else hoping for another Sunday night batch of decisions?
I certainly am! I've also had nothing but silence since interviewing in jan. Does anyone have insight as to specifically why a candidate would get an immediate acceptance vs. a defferal -> acceptance? Also what does it say on the portal if you are deferred?

Late post, but accepted mid Feb and interviewed late Jan

Any hopes of another Sunday night portal update?

Are they done giving out acceptances? I thought they said they were going to release all deferral decisions at once.

I called and they said Dr. Kundu has announced that all decisions will be out on or before 3/1 (Thursday).