2015-2016 University of Texas - Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my application to TMDSAS on Sep 3oth and now it seems like they won't be able to process it in time to hear back from Dell before the secondary deadline.

Did this happen to anyone else?

I feel like the instructions didn't state clearly that the primary needs to be processed (rather than just submitted) before getting the secondary. I am so worried. Dell is my top priority school. If I had been aware of this I would have submitted earlier.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my application to TMDSAS on Sep 3oth and now it seems like they won't be able to process it in time to hear back from Dell before the secondary deadline.

Did this happen to anyone else?

I feel like the instructions didn't state clearly that the primary needs to be processed (rather than just submitted) before getting the secondary. I am so worried. Dell is my top priority school. If I had been aware of this I would have submitted earlier.
You should have submitted earlier no matter which school was your top choice...
They read through your entire primary before sending the secondary, and they won't receive your primary until TMDSAS verifies and transmits it.

Reactions: 2 users
You should have submitted earlier no matter which school was your top choice...
They read through your entire primary before sending the secondary, and they won't receive your primary until TMDSAS verifies and transmits it.

I was trying to see if there was anyone else going through this with me.

All I needed was this 'I told you so', so thank you for that. I'm sure it will make you a better doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was trying to see if there was anyone else going through this with me.

All I needed was this 'I told you so', so thank you for that. I'm sure it will make you a better doctor.
I didn't say I told you so, I listed facts.

The reason you submitted late is none of my business and is irrelevant, but the fact is you submitted late and the above mentioned things are the result of submitting late.

And since you became so defensive, great doctors know how to check crucial information, and the fact that schools won't see your application until you are certified is clearly stated in the TMDSAS guide.

Hey guys for ii, does dell call from an unidentified caller id ("no caller ID") or do they call from an Austin area phone number? Also if you miss their call, do they leave you a voicemail? I'm sorry if this question was asked before!

To everyone with II's; did y'all fill the 4000 characters? Or were some of the responses shorter? I am trying to figure out just how close to the 4000 mark I need to be before I submit it. Hopefully the answer is "not that close" since the lovely folks at Dell only gave me a week to get this thing done. :eek:

To everyone with II's; did y'all fill the 4000 characters? Or were some of the responses shorter? I am trying to figure out just how close to the 4000 mark I need to be before I submit it. Hopefully the answer is "not that close" since the lovely folks at Dell only gave me a week to get this thing done. :eek:
I didn't hit 4000 characters for any of them. Maybe I got slightly close to that for the very last question. I'd say most of my answers were 2500 characters.

I didn't hit 4000 characters for any of them. Maybe I got slightly close to that for the very last question. I'd say most of my answers were 2500 characters.

Wonderful! I got pretty close with the teamwork question, but so far for the other 3 I am nearer to 2500 as well. I really don't think I could add anymore to them. Good to know that I don't have to add unnecessary fluff if the response isn't at the 4000 mark.

Wonderful! I got pretty close with the teamwork question, but so far for the other 3 I am nearer to 2500 as well. I really don't think I could add anymore to them. Good to know that I don't have to add unnecessary fluff if the response isn't at the 4000 mark.
Yes if you don't have any more meaningful stuff to say, just stop writing :)
And I got an OOS II so clearly it was OK!

Not planning on completing the secondary here, and so withdrew my application last week. Good luck to everyone!

I sent it in quite a while ago so I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure I had only about 400 characters in each response and I just got an oOS II today for October 30. My short responses may be why I'm just now getting a call though, who knows. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I sent it in quite a while ago so I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure I had only about 400 characters in each response and I just got an oOS II today for October 30. My short responses may be why I'm just now getting a call though, who knows. Hope that helps!

Congrats!! When were you complete? Did you just get the interview now and is it still by phone

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got II today for 10/30! Super, super psyched.

IS, LizzyM 70, nontrad, secondary submitted 8/8 but wasnt complete until 9/15 due to LOR issues.

Anyone who's already interviewed have any info/tips?

My phone call had no caller ID, just the austin area code.

Congrats @simplesloth! (I like your pic btw! haha)

What do you mean by no caller ID, but the austin area code? I thought you couldn't figure out the area code for "no caller ID" calls?

Congrats @simplesloth! (I like your pic btw! haha)

What do you mean by no caller ID, but the austin area code? I thought you couldn't figure out the area code for "no caller ID" calls?
Sorry, I'm not the brightest bulb in the closet. There was caller ID as in the number but no name attached to it like you used to see in the days of old on landlines.

Honestly don't know what I was thinking. I blame Mondays :shrug:

Also got II today for 10/30! Super, super psyched.

IS, LizzyM 70, nontrad, secondary submitted 8/8 but wasnt complete until 9/15 due to LOR issues.

Anyone who's already interviewed have any info/tips?
Yay I'll finally get to meet someone from SDN :p

Looks like this medical school decided against extending me a secondary :(

Last edited:
Forever a sad Longhorn. Looks like this medical school decided against extending me a secondary :(

Sad Aggie agrees. Does anyone know if the secondary invitations are based off of anything other than GPA (which is the deciding factor in the first screen, according to their website)? I've already confirmed that they have my application, but I am a bit disappointed I didn't receive a secondary, as it sounds like the questions do a good job of helping them see if you are a good fit with their mission. I can't think of a way to contact them about it that doesn't sound like I feel entitled. I'm just bummed I didn't get the opportunity--- it kinda feels worse than if they had read my secondary and just decided not to offer an interview.

For those of you who applied to Dell, how would you rank it compared to the other Texas medical schools with Dell being so brand new and all? I'm really curious because I'm having a hard time myself ranking it especially compared to Texas A&M or UTMB.

Wow that's short! Length doesn't seem to be a requirement then. How were you able to give multiple examples in 400 characters? I am impressed; I cannot write that concisely.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I just got invitation to Dell Secondary!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
They are really getting down to the wire with these! LOL Good luck!!
My email said that they have extended the submission deadline for Secondary, but that its obviously in my best interest to submit asap.

what in the world? I just got a secondary here
I don't think there's a deadline anymore.

I'm no longer able to edit or submit my secondary... I thought the deadline was the 15th at 11:59 pm....

This sucks.

***Edit*** Secondary reopened till 21st

Last edited:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I just got invitation to Dell Secondary!!!!!

Haha I would gladly trade my left testicle and one of my Texas interviews for your Dell Med secondary invite. That's awesome, congrats!! Hope you hear back about interviews soon.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm no longer able to edit or submit my secondary... I thought the deadline was the 15th at 11:59 pm....

This sucks.

***Edit*** Secondary reopened till 21st

Where did you see this my email said the 15th?

Where did you see this my email said the 15th?

I received my secondary invite yesterday, and like @texan2414, it says that the deadline has been extended. My guess is that it's for the last minute invites they sent out. You probably got your invite with what they deemed sufficient time to complete before the deadline

Wow that's short! Length doesn't seem to be a requirement then. How were you able to give multiple examples in 400 characters? I am impressed; I cannot write that concisely.

Agreed! 400 characters is SO short. It's about 3-5 sentences. Did you just list and not expand upon your examples?

I honestly don't remember, I applied to 31 schools and didn't save them. But that sounds about right. I've always struggled to fill writing assignments with words, I'm probably a terrible writer and not very descriptive.

I honestly don't remember, I applied to 31 schools and didn't save them. But that sounds about right. I've always struggled to fill writing assignments with words, I'm probably a terrible writer and not very descriptive.

I think I have the opposite problem. I tried to keep my essays short, but they all ended up being 2500-3500 characters. I edited the s**t out of these though, which is more I can say for any other school. I'm really hoping I get an II!

Good luck everyone who received a secondary, hope I get to see you at an interview soon.

Those of you that interviewed, how was the school and facilities? Did they spend a lot of time going over the curriculum?

Those of you that interviewed, how was the school and facilities? Did they spend a lot of time going over the curriculum?
There were no facilities to tour since the construction of the medical school buildings won't be completed until the summer of next year. They also didn't go over the curriculum that much and just gave a brief overview. The 1st year is preclinical, 2nd and 4th year are clerkship years, and the 3rd year is an innovation and research year where you can pursue individual projects, dual degrees, or research.

There were no facilities to tour since the construction of the medical school buildings won't be completed until the summer of next year. They also didn't go over the curriculum that much and just gave a brief overview. The 1st year is preclinical, 2nd and 4th year are clerkship years, and the 3rd year is an innovation and research year where you can pursue individual projects, dual degrees, or research.

They didn't really discuss the curriculum at all?? It's so radically different than any other school that it seems strange that they wouldn't take the time to go over it. Did you get an impression of interviewee's thoughts on the new format?

They didn't really discuss the curriculum at all?? It's so radically different than any other school that it seems strange that they wouldn't take the time to go over it. Did you get an impression of interviewee's thoughts on the new format?

They didn't spend a lot of time going over it because it is a shortened interview day with only an hour or so of orientation and like 3hrs of interviews. You could tell that the interviewees and the other faculty loved the curriculum and its focus around innovation and reinventing how students learn to be doctors. They acknowledged that there will most likely be kinks that need to be worked out with the first few classes but other than that, they were all extremely excited about the new format and the students ability to spend an entire year dedicated to building their own projects, performing their own research, and becoming leaders in their community. And it isn't too different from some other schools. I believe Duke and a few others have an extremely similar model.

They didn't spend a lot of time going over it because it is a shortened interview day with only an hour or so of orientation and like 3hrs of interviews. You could tell that the interviewees and the other faculty loved the curriculum and its focus around innovation and reinventing how students learn to be doctors. They acknowledged that there will most likely be kinks that need to be worked out with the first few classes but other than that, they were all extremely excited about the new format and the students ability to spend an entire year dedicated to building their own projects, performing their own research, and becoming leaders in their community. And it isn't too different from some other schools. I believe Duke and a few others have an extremely similar model.

Thank you for your insight! That's probably the one thing I don't like about the MMI format: it's all about whether they like you and there's less of a push for you to like them. Still it's good to know that other schools have something similar and it's working.

I filled out the secondary quite awhile ago - I have not heard a peep since, so don't be discouraged if you didn't get an invite.

For those that have interviewed or know a good amount about the school, how true is this rumor: Dell does not have an actual anatomy lab but a virtual one. I feel like that is a major drawback to an otherwise pretty good school.