2015-2016 University of Texas - Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When was y'all's app transmitted to them? Mine was Monday and I still haven't gotten one

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone who has gotten the secondary mind posting the time at which you received the "Dell added to your application" email from TMDSAS? I got the "added" email within a few hours of Dell being available, but no secondary yet. I suppose several thousand people could have applied before me, but I'm starting to wonder if there's more to the screening. Really not trying to be neurotic...

Edit: I know KKT has already done this. I transmitted less than an hour after.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know that? Is it written somewhere?

Just my guess. because I know some people with 26 Mcat or 3.2 GPA who received secondaries... sorry if that confused anyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@SweetCaroline7 maybe since ours were transmitted early they are at the bottom of the stack?

That seems like a backwards process, no? Plus mine was close enough to KKT that I thought I'd be in the next group, but it seems others got it today and I did not. What time were you transmitted? I'm not neurotic enough to call only 1 week after transmission. It seems like that would be a red flag more than anything else, but boy, do I want to get it! I'm actually super excited about these topics.

I was transmitted Monday night

Mine was sent to dell the 26th, and I got my secondary this morning :)

:confused: Well that kills my theory. Does not compute :(
well i dont think theres a formula for anything haha. I still havent gotten confirmation for a lot of my schools...actually the only ones are the two tech schools, uth, and here.
edit; oh and my letters arent in yet either :I

Members don't see this ad :)
There has to be some kind of formula. I have to be honest, I am pretty upset. I was quick to add them to my application, according to the stats reported by others I should not have been screened...I am not a high-stats automaton, either. I don't get it. I know that schools last cycle had issues with receiving a complete app, so maybe I will call. Is that typically a no-no for schools that screen?

How are you guys writing these essays

I was just gonna write a long essay about a certain event but I am thrown of by the plural word "examples". This makes me what to talk about two short essays for each question.

It depends on the essay/examples I have for that essay. Like the first one I had a really long example so I had to only have 1 more short one. And the second I had a paragraph for each of 3 examples. TBH I haven't written the last 2 because I've been busy at work and now I'm on vacation (oops). Hoping it will still be "early" if I turn it in next week.

I wish they had said example(s) though.

There has to be some kind of formula. I have to be honest, I am pretty upset. I was quick to add them to my application, according to the stats reported by others I should not have been screened...I am not a high-stats automaton, either. I don't get it. I know that schools last cycle had issues with receiving a complete app, so maybe I will call. Is that typically a no-no for schools that screen?

I think you should wait a few days before calling. And if/when you do don't ask why you haven't received your secondary but if they received your file or that you haven't received an under review. Or ask if they have a secondary. Idk if I'm phrasing that correctly. If your stats are high I think you should get a secondary invite. Just be patient it's probably something to do with their system.

I think you should wait a few days before calling. And if/when you do don't ask why you haven't received your secondary but if they received your file or that you haven't received an under review. Or ask if they have a secondary. Idk if I'm phrasing that correctly. If your stats are high I think you should get a secondary invite. Just be patient it's probably something to do with their system.

Oh I would never ask why I didn't receive one, just make sure that they received my app and consider me complete at this time. I don't expect to get one just because of my stats, I just don't want it to be a situation where my app is lost and I never checked in on it.

I think you guys need to not lose hope and give yourself some time...don't be upset/disappointed yet! They're still sending out secondaries. I got mine today.

Just my guess. because I know some people with 26 Mcat or 3.0 GPA who received secondaries... sorry if that confused anyone!

That's weird because their website says they screen out students who have a cumulative GPA below a 3.2.

That's weird because their website says they screen out students who have a cumulative GPA below a 3.2.

sorry 3.2 GPA*

And I just realize that my sources may be inaccurate because it's word of mouth and people sometimes lie about these things... -.- I'm so naive... haha

I am actually getting worried about not receiving a secondary as well. I had my application sent in the second day.

"Please give examples that indicate your ability to creatively solve problems for the betterment of others." How are you answering this question? And how many examples would suffice the response for this prompt?

"Please give examples that indicate your ability to creatively solve problems for the betterment of others." How are you answering this question? And how many examples would suffice the response for this prompt?
This was a challenging one but I came up with 2, I can dm a sentence or two about mine cause I'd rather not post them.

@AggieDoc45, are you still in the same boat as me and @lomm? 6/22 (us) and 6/23 (you, it seems?) transmission to Dell and no word on secondaries?

Still no word unfortunately. I just can't believe this is taking so long, the wait is killing me.

Still no word unfortunately. I just can't believe this is taking so long, the wait is killing me.

I don't want to be "that" person, but I'm starting to think there's an issue with their system. It doesn't make sense that they set their secondary screen at 26/3.2 (supposedly), but there are people who transmitted days before those applicants and are still waiting.

I don't want to be "that" person, but I'm starting to think there's an issue with their system. It doesn't make sense that they set their secondary screen at 26/3.2 (supposedly), but there are people who transmitted days before those applicants and are still waiting.

Has there ever been an instance with a school's system messing up, and not sending out secondary apps? I might start pre-writing the questions today, so I can turn around the secondary the day I (hopefully) receive it.

Has there ever been an instance with a school's system messing up, and not sending out secondary apps? I might start pre-writing the questions today, so I can turn around the secondary the day I (hopefully) receive it.

Yes, although a slight variation of that. Last year there was a school that reported applications as complete when they were, in fact, not. I think applicants discovered this when it got to be late in the season and high-stats applicants complete/transmitted during a certain range of time were all not receiving interviews. I believe that the school eventually did acknowledge that there was an issue in processing part of their secondary and they were not complete, but I also believe it was too late in the cycle to rectify this with full consideration. I found out about this in last year's Republic of TX thread when people were giving tips to this year's applicants and someone suggested calling each school and confirming that your application is actually complete. Hopefully I haven't butchered the story, but the whole thing is in that thread if you want to check it out.

Thank you for the update @idontknowwhatnametopick. I am going to assume I was screened out for some reason. Totally bummed. I think this confirms they are not looking strictly at the GPA/MCAT combination.

Thank you for the update @idontknowwhatnametopick. I am going to assume I was screened out for some reason. Totally bummed. I think this confirms they are not looking strictly at the GPA/MCAT combination.
From reading your posts though, it looks like you're a really competitive applicant. There still might have been a mistake with the initial bunch of applications they received? I'd still give them a call if it's one of your top choices, otherwise you'll always wonder.

From reading your posts though, it looks like you're a really competitive applicant. There still might have been a mistake with the initial bunch of applications they received? I'd still give them a call if it's one of your top choices, otherwise you'll always wonder.

Thank you for saying that. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits this year! I don't want to take over this thread and I do understand the nature of this beast, but I felt I fit Dell's mission statement and was very excited to apply, so this is naturally a bit hard to swallow. I actually have tried to call, but it seems their phones are not set up yet because it goes to a generic voicemail :arghh:
Best of luck to the chosen ones! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for saying that. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits this year! I don't want to take over this thread and I do understand the nature of this beast, but I felt I fit Dell's mission statement and was very excited to apply, so this is naturally a bit hard to swallow. I actually have tried to call, but it seems their phones are not set up yet because it goes to a generic voicemail :arghh:
Best of luck to the chosen ones! :)
Thank you :) best of luck to you too.

App transmitted to Dell 6/25. LizzyM 76. Still no secondary.

I'm keeping my hopes up

Still really, really hoping to get a secondary from here, though like many others I haven't heard a peep, so possibly didn't make it past their seemingly nebulous screen. Anyone who does get a secondary, please keep us posted!

@simplesloth @pzbpzbpzb @SweetCaroline7
So guys, it was bothering me that I some of us got screened out. I emailed them asking what the status of my application was and after 5 days they responded saying they received it and it is under review. I'm just guessing they're really backed up.

Reactions: 3 users
Application transmitted to Dell on 7/2; received secondary on 7/5. LizzyM = 75.

@simplesloth @pzbpzbpzb @SweetCaroline7
So guys, it was bothering me that I some of us got screened out. I emailed them asking what the status of my application was and after 5 days they responded saying they received it and it is under review. I'm just guessing they're really backed up.
The dream lives to fight another day! Thanks for the heads up!

I ended up receiving a secondary on 7/2. I think they might just be backed up.

Good luck to everyone!!

Thanks for the update/promotional email, Dell. I'd love to consider applying except, you know, that whole secondary screen thing :arghh:

I still haven't gotten one either although I'm trying not to sweat it too much, but I'm so confused about it!

Thanks for the update/promotional email, Dell. I'd love to consider applying except, you know, that whole secondary screen thing :arghh:

I'm still convinced something went wrong with the early applications. At least that's what I hope

Last edited:
Do you guys think UT will be more selective than other Texas medical schools because it is UT? or not as selective as other schools because it's new?