2011-2012 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,
I've got a serious question that I would love some input on. My fiance has been admitted to UCLA School of Law and she plans to go. Currently I'm waitlisted at UCLA. I was planning on handing in an update letter next week. Do you think that I should include the fact that she will be attending UCLA Law? Would they care, or would it just seem like a desperate plea? I'd really love to not spend four years as long distance.

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,
I've got a serious question that I would love some input on. My fiance has been admitted to UCLA School of Law and she plans to go. Currently I'm waitlisted at UCLA. I was planning on handing in an update letter next week. Do you think that I should include the fact that she will be attending UCLA Law? Would they care, or would it just seem like a desperate plea? I'd really love to not spend four years as long distance.

Opinions?
I'd mention it! In a professional, non-desperate sounding way - but to speak from experience, it worked for my partner, who mentioned to a grad school committee that I was limited by location and they rescinded his rejection and took another look at his app, accepting him a couple days later. Best email he's ever sent. I'm sure things work differently for med school adcoms, but I think it's worth a shot.

On an unrelated note, everybody in this thread should perhaps remember the advice our parents gave us when our younger siblings were being the most annoying creatures on earth: ignore it, and they'll get bored and go away. I.e., don't feed the trolls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly man, thats what im trying to say. Westwood is a frikin awesome place, but I hate it when people try to mask the reality of the place. Its grimy as hell for the price, the standard of living is low for what youre paying, but that doesnt mean i dont love it. :cool::cool: I never said I disliked it, but I will always try to put people in line for their own sake, when they say its some sort of paradise.

Seriously bro, what do you have against apostrophes?

Seriously, let's hope they start accepting not too long after May 15..:xf:

Last year people started getting status changes around the 22nd. Maybe it'll be earlier this year since they're more organized with MMI and everything.

Last year people started getting status changes around the 22nd. Maybe it'll be earlier this year since they're more organized with MMI and everything.

Good to hear. Except didn't someone say people got rejected in late May last year? How is anyone supposed to know if a status change is good or bad? :scared:

Good to hear. Except didn't someone say people got rejected in late May last year? How is anyone supposed to know if a status change is good or bad? :scared:

Before may 30th, the updates were all acceptances. Starting around may 30th, there were appearances of "final decision letter sent" with no accepted student checklist visible, meaning not an acceptance. Those ones without the checklist were first a series of rejections, a couple days later came waitlists.

Members don't see this ad :)
if we havent heard anything from UCLA after our interview, is that what you guys are considering "waitlist" ?

if we havent heard anything from UCLA after our interview, is that what you guys are considering "waitlist" ?

It seems like that's the case. I don't think anyone reported that they got an official wait list notification. It looks like it's just two groups of people so far, those who are accepted and those with no decisions yet.

All 500+ of us are so eagerly waiting, yet only a small fraction will hear good news from UCLA. Sorry to be pessimistic, it's just kinda hard not to be :/

All 500+ of us are so eagerly waiting, yet only a small fraction will hear good news from UCLA. Sorry to be pessimistic, it's just kinda hard not to be :/

The way I look at it as is that it's about a 1 in 3 chance if you look at last year's numbers. With roughly 720 applicants being interviewed, only about 240 get accepted based off the estimates given from last year but I guess that 240 fluctuates based on how many people turn down their seats. I'm talking for all the programs combined, not just Geffen.

Apparently they have a new, merit-based full-tuition scholarship for all 4 years. Hopefully it (and my spot in SoCal..) goes to one of you guys. Good luck!

Apparently they have a new, merit-based full-tuition scholarship for all 4 years. Hopefully it (and my spot in SoCal..) goes to one of you guys. Good luck!

Good luck to you in Baltimore Sharpie!

Hey sharpie, if its the Leaders of Tomorrow scholarship that you talking about, I just found out that I got it last night. Do you know anything about the components of the program: the research honorarium and etc. I am also deciding between JHU as well.

Hey sharpie, if its the Leaders of Tomorrow scholarship that you talking about, I just found out that I got it last night. Do you know anything about the components of the program: the research honorarium and etc. I am also deciding between JHU as well.

Sorry, I'm in the same boat as you - no clue at the moment. My best guess would be some level of guaranteed funding/structured program for summer research. Congrats and good luck making a decision though! Maybe see you next year. :)

Just curious, how did you find out about this? (Through regular mail, email.. etc?)

This is what is about to happen to uclabruins2011:

ISmLp

You have a weird obsession with him. How about you stop bumping the thread for stupid reasons so those of us waiting for decisions don't freak out evetytime this thread has a new comment?

You have a weird obsession with him. How about you stop bumping the thread for stupid reasons so those of us waiting for decisions don't freak out evetytime this thread has a new comment?

Come on now, I'm just trying to lighten everyone's mood. I like to push people's buttons when I see them trying to push other people's buttons.

Come on now, I'm just trying to lighten everyone's mood. I like to push people's buttons when I see them trying to push other people's buttons.

Your name suggests another role. You're supposed to eliminate pain and make people feel good. Your side effects also slow the heart down, reduce blood pressure, stop vomiting, slow breathing and induce euphoria. The only bad thing you're supposed to do is keep us from defecating.

Enjoy Block 4 next year with Dr. Pham!

Your name suggests another role. You're supposed to eliminate pain and make people feel good. Your side effects also slow the heart down, reduce blood pressure, stop vomiting, slow breathing and induce euphoria. The only bad thing you're supposed to do is keep us from defecating.

Enjoy Block 4 next year with Dr. Pham!

lol, i'm all about the endogenous ones, not the prescribed ones.

Aren't they known to cause vomiting?

Last year, there were acceptances in the last 2 or 3 weeks of march, then more acceptances here or there. Again, in May too, starting in the first week of may, a few more in the middle, and then a bunch of rejections at the end of may.

This year, we've only seen people respond about acceptances on march 9th. I wonder, there might have been a lot more acceptances after that, but people just didnt post on sdn.

Last year was their first year of MMI. Perhaps they've streamlined the process this year?

Last year was their first year of MMI. Perhaps they've streamlined the process this year?

true. i think last year they interviewed into like april, this year they ended in february. so maybe that alone allowed them to give out a lot more acceptances in the first batch.

sooo, i just called to confirm they received my second update letter, which they did. then just to double check, i asked them if they received the first one that I sent in February, and was told they had no record of it. When I called in Feb., a different person told me they had it, but did seemed a little confused. basically, i resent the first letter as well and they added it, but now I'm worried that since it was dated in February, that it will never be read, and it had my most important updates in it!!

is there anything you all suggest doing since this is my #1, or just leave it alone and hope for the best?

Hey all,

A question on update letters. If I live in the LA area and it isn't a hassle to drop by the admissions office, would it be better to hand deliver my updated transcripts and information? Or do they typically prefer updates by email?

Hey all,

A question on update letters. If I live in the LA area and it isn't a hassle to drop by the admissions office, would it be better to hand deliver my updated transcripts and information? Or do they typically prefer updates by email?

in general i think they prefer email... u can always call and ask.

I got that feeling too. I went into the office to drop off a letter and as soon as I told them I was an applicant they seemed upset with me. Honestly made me pretty upset.

!!! I just checked my mailbox and there is a letter from UCLA Geffen. I haven't opened it yet but I live in LA and the mailman just came by so if you're local then today might be a good or bad day. I'm on my way to grab food (starving, and I don't want a rejection to kill my appetite) but I will post results of the letter soon.

The nervousness would kill my appetite. My mailman is late and I live in Norcal, but I don't want to check the status page...

I just checked my status page and it was final decision letter sent 5/15! And it had an accepted student checklist!!!! @_____@ does this mean I'm accepted?!?! I can't believe it! AHHHHHH @_@

I'm also in the northeast and haven't checked my mail yet since I'm still on campus

I just checked my status page and it was final decision letter sent 5/15! And it had an accepted student checklist!!!! @_____@ does this mean I'm accepted?!?! I can't believe it! AHHHHHH @_@

I'm also in the northeast and haven't checked my mail yet since I'm still on campus

Welcome to the Class of 2016!!! :) I hope these were the news you were expecting! See you in August!

Got some unhealthy Jack-in-the-Box, came home, and opened the letter. An acceptance!! And mention of the $5000 scholarship that I think is awarded to all incoming students. My appetite is blown away nevertheless.

mine just updated to "letter sent 5/17/2012" but there is no accepted student checklist :/

So i called the office and they said they're sending everything out by the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.