2020-2021 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also got the call yesterday

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I would just like to add that I am so glad they called so early in June instead of end of June like last year! I hadn't even started on any secondaries for my reapp, and this saved me a lot of time and money

Reactions: 1 user
Big congrats to everyone who was accepted!!! Do you mind me asking if y'all had another acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to confirm that Keck's Commit to Enroll deadline is July 8th right?

Is it safe to say if we didn’t get the deferral call our chances off of the waitlist are little to none?

Does anyone know what day the school year officially begins at Keck?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I'm applying this upcoming cycle and prewriting some secondaries so I'm wondering if you guys have any tips for the "what's the most fun you've had lately" essay, because you know... COVID? Would writing about playing a video game with friends be considered a terrible idea?

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I'm applying this upcoming cycle and prewriting some secondaries so I'm wondering if you guys have any tips for the "what's the most fun you've had lately" essay, because you know... COVID? Would writing about playing a video game with friends be considered a terrible idea?
This is actually exactly what I did! Applying during the pandemic gave me all the more reason for it, but I was accepted so it turned out good for something hahaha (if it matters, I also threw in a line about teamwork, etc. to cover my bases)

Yes, you can email her anytime before 7/8/21, which is the CTE deadline. You will get an email telling you've been accepted and will tell you the next steps on what to do. Accepting it doesnt withdraw you from this years class if a spot appears.
Do you know if after accepting the offer we can still hold waitlists at other med schools?

Do you know if after accepting the offer we can still hold waitlists at other med schools?
You may want to call/email admissions to make sure. What other school(s) are you WL'd at if you don't mind me asking?

I was told by Dean Arias that we are free to stay on any wait-lists and can choose to accept any other offers we get

Edit: sorry this is only true if we haven't signed to accept the offer. The email itself says we have a restricted deferral, meaning we cannot apply to other schools or accept other A's

Last edited:
For those of you with the deferral- have any of you emailed back to accept the offer? And if so did your acceptance letter say Class of 2025 instead of 2026?

Edit: admissions let me know this is normal before getting the deferral process started

hi!! i also got the call about deferred acceptance today! does anyone know how financial aid works for deferred applicants?

Has anyone who got the previous call about deferred acceptance been contacted and given a spot in this year’s class yet?

Just got a call today at 12:30 for deferred admission! Dean Arias said the class was full for this cycle as they did not have anyone withdraw their seats unlike in other years so they offered acceptance into the class of 2026. So for anyone lurking on this thread in the future, there is hope of an acceptance on the CTE deadline.

Also got offer of deferred acceptance about 2 weeks ago, is it worth it to email and ask about any possible spots for this year or is it a lost cause? Super excited and happy about the opportunity tho!

Just got a call today at 12:30 for deferred admission! Dean Arias said the class was full for this cycle as they did not have anyone withdraw their seats unlike in other years so they offered acceptance into the class of 2026. So for anyone lurking on this thread in the future, there is hope of an acceptance on the CTE deadline.
congrats!!!!! did you send a LOI?

i haven’t heard back yet, so im glad they are still sending out deferred acceptances

@

Umbrellainthesun

I think that it may be a lost cause. When I was on the phone with Dean Arias yesterday she said that unlike other years, no one gave up their spot. She said there was not anything for months unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user

@Triangularisficus

thank you! I did send an LOI although I did not have any other acceptances or waitlists.
Yeah there definitely is still hope although it will require a gap year. I was ghosted from November until February on my decision instead of the typically 2 weeks they like to say and then didn't get a final decision until yesterday.

Also is there a groupme dedicated to just the deferred students for this year? Or Facebook group?

Wow, this is so embarrassing and neurotic of me, but I went back to check my status and noticed that several of the special characters changed after I submitted, so instead of dashes, there are like random question marks in the middle of my responses. They definitely weren't like that before I submitted... is there anything I can do about this? is it worth emailing the school, just so they don't think I didnt proof? yikes
The upside down question mark happens all the time. I wouldn't worry about and they know it happens.

it is speculative. that's why i said "my guess" haha. but wouldn't you think it would be IDEAL if they received it early, and then viewed it again later? you wouldn't want them to receive it early, view it early, and never care again

If we could all post our stats / complete date / LOR date, it honestly might help us make better guesses lol
Your theory doesn't make sense because once they access your LORs, there's no reason to access it again unless somehow they had trouble accessing it before. Typically, once your application is downloaded to their system, it stays downloaded and they then have their own system that their readers access.

Wow, I think you've missed the point entirely.

Firstly, I have been accepted to Keck and I am committed to going there next year. I applied during the 2019-2020 application cycle, but was accepted to the class of 2025 on a deferred offer of admission without having to reapply this cycle. I'm not competing with anyone on here for a spot in Keck's med school because I'm already in, I've got nothing more to prove. I genuinely just want to help others succeed as well, so if I feel like sharing my experience would be helpful for someone else, I'll share the specifics of what I went through.

Secondly, I am painfully aware of how ambiguous the process of applying to medical school is. This is why I go to great lengths to try to demystify the process by sharing what I went through personally when I was applying. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but if someone asks a specific question, on the thread for my medical school entering class, I will do my best to answer that question based on my own experience, if applicable. Giving vague advice is not helpful and I remember being a pre-med not too long ago wishing that someone would just answer my questions directly because the schools themselves would NEVER answer any question about what they're looking for directly (for fear of giving applicants any sort of unfair advantage when applying).

Lastly, Dr. Arias explained during my interview day the reasons why she changed the Keck secondary to what it is today. If you noticed, Keck's secondary is a lot different from any other secondary. It's actually fun to write, and really gets you thinking differently about how to approach it. She merely used the diversity question as an example to explain her point, which was that questions that are traditionally asked on secondaries by the majority of schools are poor indicators of how well you'll do in med school. In other words, how well you write a response to "how will you bring diversity to our school" or "explain your interest in ____ SOM" does not give insight into who you are as a person, and thus is not a good indicator of how well you align with a specific school and what they stand for.

Also, I'm not sure why you're saying that wanting to go to Keck for it's location and the fact that it's a research powerhouse is laughable and degrading Keck. FYI, during this one hour pre-interview session we had with Dr. Arias (the dean of admissions at Keck) on our interview day, she literally told us, "I'll tell you why you want to go to Keck: we're a research powerhouse, we're a private institution who serves the public, and you can't beat California weather."

I get that applying to medical school is frustrating, demoralizing, and stressful, but your animosity is sorely misdirected. Don't take it out on others who are just trying to help.
This is why you got accepted to Keck. You have heart. You understand. You emanate caring for others. You will be able to connect and engage with your patients. These are characteristics of a great doctor. Good for you for helping out others and help them so they feel less anxious and more hopeful.