2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news here?

I called the admissions office this morning to ask for an update. She said there has been no movement on the waitlist thus far :/

Let's keep hoping!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I called the admissions office this morning to ask for an update. She said there has been no movement on the waitlist thus far :/

Let's keep hoping!
Do you know if they are anticipating movement this year? (Like has the WL not moved since the committee hasn't finalized their decisions or because there's too many committing/planning to enroll)

Do you know if they are anticipating movement this year? (Like has the WL not moved since the committee hasn't finalized their decisions or because there's too many committing/planning to enroll)
I don't know how it has been at UCLA, but I have been hearing that this whole process has been a cluster this year with the new traffic rules. Essentially the AAMC doesn't have much power to actually enforce any of their CTE deadlines so people may still be holding multiple acceptances, slowing the entire process down.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyway to know how many people have selected commit to enroll at UCLA yet?

I heard from a current DGSOM student that UCLA over-enrolled this year. Not sure if waitlist will have movement.

I know someone who called the admissions office and they said that the class is still full and no movement has happened

I'm sure that's how it looks. Full of PTEs holding multiple a's.

You can only hold PTE at one school. If a student has chosen UCLA as PTE, even if they didn’t withdraw other offers, UCLA is still deemed as their top choice unless a better WL offer comes along. No one would PTE UCLA if it was their second choice among their accepted offers. Doing that would mean that their top choice could rescind their offer. There’s an overenrollment issue and it’s not going to get fixed unless people get off WL in top 5 schools. There was an overenrollment issue at stanford a few years back and stanford ended up asking some accepted students to defer and take a gap year and paid them for doing so. It’s possible ucla can do that too.

You can only hold PTE at one school. If a student has chosen UCLA as PTE, even if they didn’t withdraw other offers, UCLA is still deemed as their top choice unless a better WL offer comes along. No one would PTE UCLA if it was their second choice among their accepted offers. Doing that would mean that their top choice could rescind their offer. There’s an overenrollment issue and it’s not going to get fixed unless people get off WL in top 5 schools. There was an overenrollment issue at stanford a few years back and stanford ended up asking some accepted students to defer and take a gap year and paid them for doing so. It’s possible ucla can do that too.
Right PTE and planning to go elsewhere once movement starts. Like false committment. I don't doubt it's possible

Did they say why? Thanks for calling!

It seems as though our collective suspicions are correct. When I called, she mentioned that there's an abundance of prospective students electing to hold their acceptances (unprecedented to them). With no ability to gauge whether accepted students are actually committed to attending (she even went so far as to claim that CTE students can technically hold their waitlist positions at other institutions), DGSOM seems to have its hands tied.

All we can do is wait. Our chances for acceptance may be slim for the moment, but let's keep faith that things may change in the coming weeks!

It seems as though our collective suspicions are correct. When I called, she mentioned that there's an abundance of prospective students electing to hold their acceptances (unprecedented to them). With no ability to gauge whether accepted students are actually committed to attending (she even went so far as to claim that CTE students can technically hold their waitlist positions at other institutions), DGSOM seems to have its hands tied.

All we can do is wait. Our chances for acceptance may be slim for the moment, but let's keep faith that things may change in the coming weeks!
So it sounds like their current students have mostly selected PTE?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that Harvard's CTE deadline is in early June, and I'm hoping that they start WL movement after that so that it can trickle down to WL movement for us. All we need is one (top) school to start having significant WL movement and I think that will jumpstart WL movement for this cycle

What is this one school that all these people are waiting to get into before they'll finally commit to enroll somewhere?

Remember when Dean Hall told us that 40% of the class typically gets taken off the WL? lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
That's prob not gonna happen to our class...
Isn't it still possible though? Unless they increased the amount of students they overaccept drastically, shouldn't the amount of accepted students that ultimately decide to go elsewhere be similar to previous years?

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't it still possible though? Unless they increased the amount of students they overaccept drastically, shouldn't the amount of accepted students that ultimately decide to go elsewhere be similar to previous years?

UCLA usnews ranking improved, so that probably contributed to increased yield.

As other people have mentioned, we were told at second look that they over accepted this year. I also heard from another student that they gave out too many Geffen’s (I think she found out from her fin aid appointment). This could explain increased yield.

Don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news. There’s a lot of speculation going on right now so hopefully this helps

As other people have mentioned, we were told at second look that they over accepted this year. I also heard from another student that they gave out too many Geffen’s (I think she found out from her fin aid appointment). This could explain increased yield.

Don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news. There’s a lot of speculation going on right now so hopefully this helps
Are students usually willing, or reluctant, to defer after the incentive?
Edit: If this turns out to be the case at dgsom. Just curious.

What a great year to be on the waitlist at UCLA!

At this point, I just want some transparency from the Admissions Office. Dean Hall is out. Their Director of Admissions is out. Word here has it that they overenrolled and offered too many Geffens. What's going on? If its looking like no one is getting off the waitlist, let the waitlist know! If they overenrolled, let all the acceptees who PTE and CTE know! Let the acceptees know what DGSOM plans to do about it. Be honest with those on the WL and the acceptees if they can't take everyone who has PTE and CTE.

Reactions: 7 users
At this point, I just want some transparency from the Admissions Office. Dean Hall is out. Their Director of Admissions is out. Word here has it that they overenrolled and offered too many Geffens. What's going on? If its looking like no one is getting off the waitlist, let the waitlist know! If they overenrolled, let all the acceptees who PTE and CTE know! Let the acceptees know what DGSOM plans to do about it. Be honest with those on the WL and the acceptees if they can't take everyone who has PTE and CTE.

This is exactly the problem with the current traffic rule. People waiting on waitlists at top schools hold on to PTE and not click CTE, which causes other schools to delay their waitlist movement. A domino effect. Honestly, this cascade will only begin to move when the top schools/applicants begin to take some actions about it.

This is exactly the problem with the current traffic rule. People waiting on waitlists at top schools hold on to PTE and not click CTE, which causes other schools to delay their waitlist movement. A domino effect. Honestly, this cascade will only begin to move when the top schools/applicants begin to take some actions about it.
Exactly

All we need is one (top) school to start having significant WL movement and I think that will jumpstart WL movement for this cycle

Stanford has had significant WL movement this past week + has started rejecting from WL. Hope that gets the ball rolling!

Reactions: 4 users
Stanford has had significant WL movement this past week + has started rejecting from WL. Hope that gets the ball rolling!
When you say significant movement, do you know how many people were able to get off the waitlist?

It's so sad that I remember one of my fellow interviewees asked Dean Hall "What if UCLA over-accepts?"

to which he responded:
"That's highly unlikely under my watch. In the past few years, we have generated a very predictable amount of positions to give at certain points. So it shouldn't be a problem."

I hope his resignation is not linked to the messy situation of this year's admission... but i think we all think that they are linked...

... and now his watch is ended.

Reactions: 8 users
I would not characterize the movement off the WL at Stanford as significant. Based on my estimate, no more than 5 people on SDN have mentioned acceptances off the WL since May 1.

What I see, at this point, is just a little horse trading going on among the top schools, minor backfilling.

Perhaps you have a proprietary source at Stanford, but I'm not seeing it yet.

At Stanford, 10 people have joined the facebook group this month - for a class of 90, I would say thats pretty significant lol. Altho 2 joined this week so there may be more movement to come. Per the internal poll, 66 have committed (although surprisingly, not everyone in the group has viewed the poll)

There's been roughly the same movement on the Harvard fb group as well, but keep in mind that these numbers may underestimate the true number of WL movement since some may not use facebook. Best of luck for those still waiting on WLs!

Yo, can those in the DGSOM FB group create a similar poll to the Stanford one? Like how many in the FB group have PTE, CTE, or decided not to go?

UCSF: Good WL movement this cycle.
Stanford: Good WL movement this cycle.
UCLA: lol what’s a waitlist

UCSF: Good waitlist movement this cycle
Stanford: Good waitlist movement this cycle
Hopkins: Good waitlist movement this cycle
Harvard: Good waitlist movement this cycle
WashU: Good waitlist movement this cycle
NYU: Good waitlist movement this cycle

UCLA: "Ooh, we over enrolled. Deferral contracts anyone?"

Have they said they overenrolled and are offering deferral contracts? Interested to see how the deferral contract thing shapes up.

If you can believe this thread, UCLA has apparently over enrolled. If so, then they will have to offer deferral contracts eventually.

They are likely not entirely sure yet what the true nature of their class is. Also, unclear what the leadership is within adcom, given recent resignations.

They appear to be like a deer stuck in the headlights, unsure if the oncoming vehicle is a semi or two motorcycles.

I like your analogy

If you can believe this thread, UCLA has apparently over enrolled. If so, then they will have to offer deferral contracts eventually.

They are likely not entirely sure yet what the true nature of their class is. Also, unclear what the leadership is within adcom, given recent resignations.

They appear to be like a deer stuck in the headlights, unsure if the oncoming vehicle is a semi or two motorcycles.
Has anyone actually confirmed that though? Or is this mostly hearsay for now?

I called admissions last week, and the class is definitely full but I’m not sure about overenrolled. The class may be overenrolled by a small number, and I think they’re hoping that small overenrollment will diminish as accepted students get off other waitlists.

I see that there are new people being added to the fb group each week, but the overall number of people in the group has slowly declined... I am not too hopeful, but @gyngyn says that there may be more movement in June!

I called admissions and the person who I spoke with was very apologetic in saying that the class was totally full. She said she wasn’t expecting much, if any, waitlist movement.

What happens if the school you are currently PTE at has a CTE deadline before UCLA’s? Do we expect that UCLA will see it’s minimal waitlist movement around its CTE date? Does that mean we’re basically out of the running if we’re on the waitlist in this scenario? Sorry for so many questions and thank you!

If they don't expect any waitlist movement, can't they at least reject us so we stop wondering? What are they holding out for?

My guess is they don’t want to go through the effort of having to go through apps and choose which ones to reject now. Why do something when they are not obligated to do so? I feel totally jaded and do not trust this school’s admissions process.

- Talked to Dean Hall, super nice guy and actually explained to me why delay occurs (lots of back/forth and/or tabling at both committee meetings, meetings don't occur that often, rater/interviewer procrastination = months of silence). The dude(shout out to your bravery!!) in front of me talking to Dean Hall asked him about the threshold! Dean Hall dodged it and said they are reconsidering and it was a lot more complicated.

I just saw this from up earlier on the thread. There is no way that this gives off the image of fairness if rater/interviewers are procrastinating for months. I get that they aren't just interviewers, they have other occupations in their daily lives. The problem is that I don't think all interviewers procrastinate which leads to the unfairness. How do they decide who to accept or reject if some interviewers get back to Admissions sooner? There is only such a limited pool if other interviewers are procrastinating. Months of silence from the interviewers sounds terrible and a total lack of leadership from the admissions office. If the interviewers are really busy, perhaps they shouldn't have taken on the interview assignments.

How is it so complicated if almost every other school in the country has created guidelines for their Admissions team? Stating how much commitment is needed weekly, when meetings are, what we need to accomplish at these meetings... these are goals the admissions leadership should set for their team/office. Perhaps I'm wrong but the way the above quote is worded makes it seem like the admissions office is really disorganized and not living up to the job description.

Geffen is an amazing, highly-ranked medical school in an awesome location. Hopefully, Dean Hall's replacement will fix the admissions miscues and bring that department up to par with the standards of excellence generally embodied by the rest of the school. For those seeking to get off of the wait list, I wish you the best of luck.

Somebody just posted on Reddit about getting off of the WL so maybe we have a chance?

Still nothing here huh? Love how Drew has had some movement but nothing for the rest of us...