2011-2012 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does every first year get the $5000 scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

does every first year get the $5000 scholarship?

From the talk at the interview day, it is my understanding that everyone gets that scholarship the first year.

Does anyone know when UCLA starts pulling from the wait list? :) It seems like there are still a lot of blank statuses out there. Do they wait until everyone has been given a status? That seems like it would make the most sense... *Hoping for the best!*

i had no status change but received an acceptance letter... you never know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you one the waitlist prior to being accepted? Congrats on the acceptance :) !

Hello everyone! So, I'm in India teaching underprivileged children right now... and maybe I am hallucinating because of too much curry and dal (haha) but I see letter sent 6/13/2012 and I have an Accepted Student Checklist... maybe they made a mistake?

Hello everyone! So, I'm in India teaching underprivileged children right now... and maybe I am hallucinating because of too much curry and dal (haha) but I see letter sent 6/13/2012 and I have an Accepted Student Checklist... maybe they made a mistake?

No, killrforehand, it is not a mistake! Welcome to the DGSOM family! See you later in August!:thumbup:

Got an email from the financial aid office saying that I was accepted. Status change with accepted student checklist on the 13th.

Woot! Deciding between Yale and UCLA now... Argh.

Does anyone else have a blank status beside me? Congrats to everyone else with an acceptance though. A part of me encourages you to accept another school instead though...for no reason in particular. haha

Thanks Person X! My father just received the mail from DGSOM today and scanned and e-mailed it to me. We just have to e-mail them that we will attend right? I look forward to seeing you soon!

Thanks Person X! My father just received the mail from DGSOM today and scanned and e-mailed it to me. We just have to e-mail them that we will attend right? I look forward to seeing you soon!

Yes, you pretty much have to do that. If you are certain that this is the place you want to attend, I would email the admissions office. If you need financial aid info, I would contact Gloria Pinedo in the financial aid office. She has been very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gloria already e-mailed me my financial aid information. I'm in-state, so UCLA is going to be as cheap as any medical school gets! I already sent an e-mail to admissions that I accept their offer and I'll wait for their response. Honestly, I still think this whole thing might be a mistake (lol), so I'm not getting too excited yet. I'll save that when the admissions responds to my e-mail :). Thank you so much Person X for all the info. If this is indeed a legitimate acceptance, I'll see you in August at David Geffen!

I would love to even know where I stand...+1 to those who still for have a status change

I would love to even know where I stand...+1 to those who still for have a status change
Yup same here.

I was worried that my application got lost so I called today and they said I am still in committee so I'm not even on the waitlist.

I don't know what to think...

I have a little bit of hope left before I declare game over. It seems like since May 15th, there have been a few small waves of status changes once a week. Not too much has happened this week, so maybe tomorrow?

If you check out last year's thread you'll see that there was a decent number of acceptances given out to non-WL people on June 17, a Friday.

Has anyone called lately? I called a few weeks ago and it sounded as though people had already been getting off the WL, but seeing as though there hasn't been a single post in all this time where someone has been accepted off the WL, that seems very unlikely.

I called in again yesterday. Ian said they have already begun accepting people off the waitlist.

Thanks for the info. I guess the SDN community is smaller than I thought.

Did he give you any more details? Earlier in the thread it was reported that 50/100 on the WL would eventually be accepted. Do you have any kind of update on that, or on our outlook in general? Thanks again.

Just called in regarding my application (interviewed in January, haven't heard a thing since) and Ian told me that my file is still in the committee. So just a head's up to those in the same situation. I don't know what this means in relation to acceptances off of waitlists though.

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you still waiting :)

Thanks for the heads-up, and congrats on Yale!

I just don't get how there is waitlist movement when some people don't even have decisions...

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you still waiting :)
Thanks!! I really hope I get your spot. In case you're still checking SDN, can I ask if you were formally waitlisted before you got your acceptance?

Good luck at Yale!

Thanks!! I really hope I get your spot. In case you're still checking SDN, can I ask if you were formally waitlisted before you got your acceptance?

Good luck at Yale!

Thanks :) I did not receive a formal waitlist, just a blank status before my status change. FYI, I didn't receive an email about my status change; I found out about the acceptance through a financial aid email 2 days after being accepted.

Good luck to everyone!

waitlisted.

I truly love everyone, but can people please withdraw so I can have a spot?!!??! :) :) :)

Last edited:
@Kiting - ucla still wait lists this late in the cycle? or were you wait listed before? friend wanted to know when ucla stops w/ wait lists.

I was waitlisted about 3 weeks ago-

I called the office and asked how many people they think they will be taking off the waitlist- and they said its still hard to tell because they haven't started pulling people, which they will start doing in July.

I was waitlisted about 3 weeks ago-

I called the office and asked how many people they think they will be taking off the waitlist- and they said its still hard to tell because they haven't started pulling people, which they will start doing in July.

I must have misinterpreted what Ian told me then. When I asked, he definitely said they already started accepting people off the waitlist. I'm guessing he meant they've been accepting people without the official waitlist letter. Any who, lets hope for a lot of movement this upcoming month!

I must have misinterpreted what Ian told me then. When I asked, he definitely said they already started accepting people off the waitlist. I'm guessing he meant they've been accepting people without the official waitlist letter. Any who, lets hope for a lot of movement this upcoming month!

got in today off the formal waitlist!!! one interview. one acceptance baby. can't wait!!! there is hope!!!!

got in today off the formal waitlist!!! one interview. one acceptance baby. can't wait!!! there is hope!!!!
Did they call you to let you know they were offering you a spot in the class?

Seriously a miracle, man, congrats! How did you find out, and at what time? If it was a phone call, did you get the accepted student checklist too? We're all starving for the detes.

Seriously a miracle, man, congrats! How did you find out, and at what time? If it was a phone call, did you get the accepted student checklist too? We're all starving for the detes.

Thank you so much! so here are the details for you. interviewed october. formally waitlisted end of may. and then today, my mom just happened to check my status page out of her boredom/neuroticism and saw a new date for final decision letter sent (yesterday) and an accepted student checklist. (cue excessive calls and texts) i then received a call this afternoon. amazing stuff. truly a privilege! i could not be more excited. luck to you all still waiting. oh! i did send multiple update/love letters between november and now. dont know if that helped or not.

after months and months of being blank, my status last night said letter sent 6/28 and had an accepted students checklist (which i confirmed over the phone to mean an actual acceptance)!! i was never waitlisted, though, so looks like they're still accepting students AND also pulling from the wait list? who knows..

Hey Guys! There's still hope! I was a super later interviewer (mid Feb) and I was pulled off of the wait-list yesterday too!

Congrats on all those who got accepted!

I don't want to be a debbie downer but being someone who was really eager to get pulled from the WL last year (UCLA was on par with the school that I'm attending right now), I was kind of disappointed by how slowly the UCLA decision rolled out for me. Perhaps it was because last year was their first year of doing MMI, but I interviewed on one of the very last interview days they had, didn't even get waitlisted till like late June (probably around now), and finally got rejected 3 days before school started on Aug 1.

I kept them regularly updated and by mid-July I knew I probably didn't have much hope left, but I was kind of sad that it took them the whole time till very late July to reject me. Just thought I'd throw out that cautionary tale for those who are still waiting - later does not necessarily mean better news.

But anywhoo, congrats to those who made it and good luck all to all those waiting!

Congrats on all those who got accepted!

I don't want to be a debbie downer but being someone who was really eager to get pulled from the WL last year (UCLA was on par with the school that I'm attending right now), I was kind of disappointed by how slowly the UCLA decision rolled out for me. Perhaps it was because last year was their first year of doing MMI, but I interviewed on one of the very last interview days they had, didn't even get waitlisted till like late June (probably around now), and finally got rejected 3 days before school started on Aug 1.

I kept them regularly updated and by mid-July I knew I probably didn't have much hope left, but I was kind of sad that it took them the whole time till very late July to reject me. Just thought I'd throw out that cautionary tale for those who are still waiting - later does not necessarily mean better news.

But anywhoo, congrats to those who made it and good luck all to all those waiting!

Thanks for the reminder on perspective. I think with all the acceptances they gave out on Thurs/Fri (assuming that SDN is just a representation of the entire applicant pool), it's unlikely too many of us will actually get in now. I'm hoping a couple people will turn down their acceptances, because I haven't gotten in anywhere else. I'm applying again and submitting soon.

woo just found out that i got accepted!

for those who want to know, i interviewed in january and i did NOT receive a formal waitlist notification. my status was just blank until this morning, when the accepted student checklist button popped up. i called the admissions office to confirm and they said that i had indeed been accepted. so excited, and looking forward to meeting everybody! good luck to the rest of you that haven't heard yet :luck::luck:

curious, to those accepted, what were your stats? 3.8+/34+ i'm guessing?

I have a question to those accepted?

When were you guys completely verified.

because I have not submitted application yet since my MCAT is at the end of July. And I am guessing I am not going to get verified till the end of August. Will this significantly hurt my chances.

I have a question to those accepted?

When were you guys completely verified.

because I have not submitted application yet since my MCAT is at the end of July. And I am guessing I am not going to get verified till the end of August. Will this significantly hurt my chances.

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to wait for MCAT scores before submitting your AMCAS - submit ASAP, and they'll review your app without the score until the score comes in. In the MCAT section of AMCAS you just have to record the date when you will be taking the test - they'll know when to expect it.

If anyone else can weigh in with some level of surety, please do. Anyway, I'm sure there are some threads on this, so if you do some searches you should find your answer. You could also call an admissions office or two...if you happen to call UCLA, maybe you could check on my WL status :D

Status
Not open for further replies.