2011-2012 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who goes to second look weekend, please just post an estimate of how many people were attending. Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
it was 90...give or take 3

interesting... people from last years second look said that many people were leaning toward other schools, and the majority of the matriculating class didnt make it to second look. i wonder what this year was like for you?

does anyone have any idea when they will let other people know about acceptances/rejections/waitlist?? aka has anyone called recently

I called earlier today and the lady said we would start to hear back "around May 15," though I think she was just throwing a date out there, tbh. I'm still surprised no one has posted anything on sdn about an acceptance after the first wave.

I called earlier today and the lady said we would start to hear back "around May 15," though I think she was just throwing a date out there, tbh. I'm still surprised no one has posted anything on sdn about an acceptance after the first wave.

Ya dude wat the heck. They said 90 people showed up to second look. It might have just been full of ucr/drew etc people. Unless they sent more acceptances after march 9th, or filled the entire class on march 9th.

Either way, May 15 is only a few weeks away. Yet, it's pretty hard to remain hopeful when looking at the numbers :/

Ya dude wat the heck. They said 90 people showed up to second look. It might have just been full of ucr/drew etc people. Unless they sent more acceptances after march 9th, or filled the entire class on march 9th.

Definitely true. 14 of them were Drew, most of riverside came out(~17) and prime (~14) had most of their candidates there as well.

Definitely true. 14 of them were Drew, most of riverside came out(~17) and prime (~14) had most of their candidates there as well.

So around 45 out of 121 regular MD people showed up to second look. interesting...did the administration say anything about waitlists/number admitted and such? I wouldnt be surprised if they kept mum.

There simply must be a better way to select medical school candidates. Maybe the schools and AAMC should get together to see how they can cut down the year-plus long process. Think about it, the next application cycle will be opening soon yet we won't know where we will end up until summer probably!

So around 45 out of 121 regular MD people showed up to second look. interesting...did the administration say anything about waitlists/number admitted and such? I wouldnt be surprised if they kept mum.

I know a good number of people who did not attend simply because they knew they were going to UCLA and did not want to shell out for the trip, especially since it was only 1 day.

I don't mean to bust any developing bubbles, just providing a little more perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a good number of people who did not attend simply because they knew they were going to UCLA and did not want to shell out for the trip, especially since it was only 1 day.

I don't mean to bust any developing bubbles, just providing a little more perspective.

that makes sense, i also know 2 people who got in nowhere else that is equal or superior, thats why they didnt go to second look. the others who went probably have acceptances at better schools and are now deciding between them and dgsom.

Can anyone comment on how second look went in general? Was it impressive, lots of free swag, did a good job of selling the school? Or was it kinda lackluster?

There simply must be a better way to select medical school candidates. Maybe the schools and AAMC should get together to see how they can cut down the year-plus long process. Think about it, the next application cycle will be opening soon yet we won't know where we will end up until summer probably!

I agree. I think one of the challenges is that so many people apply to medical schools and several of them are roughly "equal" applicants, so it becomes difficult to interview some and not others. I really feel like it's the interview process that drags things out. Some people I know have interviews on April 30th! Rolling admissions helps, but there must be a more streamlined way things can be done.

Can anyone comment on how second look went in general? Was it impressive, lots of free swag, did a good job of selling the school? Or was it kinda lackluster?

I'm not sure how anyone else felt on their interview day, but 2nd look was much, much, MUCH better. Actual people gave us actual information, and there was way more interaction with current students than I had on my interview day. They gave out these free bookbags at the start, so yeah...#SWAG

The 2nd look convinced me to go to UCLA; I was leaning away beforehand. Sorry to the people on the waitlist... :oops:

I really enjoyed 2nd look as well.

The practice PBL got me excited and my blood pumping.

I went ahead and purchased some "UCLA Medicine" shirts from the student shop.

A third year on the student panel described (in jest) going to UCLA as attending med school at a resort and I think that's a useful analogy. It has everything a city can offer as well as everything nature can offer within a few miles (and on a grand scale). That plus warm weather and palm trees. What's not to love?

Dean Washington and Parker seem like very fun chaps who are involved with the students and school.

Honestly, I can't wait to matriculate.

Most everyone there I spoke to felt the same way, that they were definitely coming to UCLA. I was surprised by how large and convinced the prospective student body was.

Before I began the application process I had my eyes set on UCSD and UCLA. Honestly, when you approach the top 20 schools, I don't think there's a big difference between schools in the opportunities available or the quality of medical education. At a certain point, it becomes a question of what city and culture do you most want to live in and your financial situation. In terms of culture and environment, LA is mighty hard to beat. Such diversity and so much, so close.

I can't wait to start learning with my fellow peers!

I really enjoyed 2nd look as well.

The practice PBL got me excited and my blood pumping.

I went ahead and purchased some "UCLA Medicine" shirts from the student shop.

A third year on the student panel described (in jest) going to UCLA as attending med school at a resort and I think that's a useful analogy. It has everything a city can offer as well as everything nature can offer within a few miles (and on a grand scale). That plus warm weather and palm trees. What's not to love?

Dean Washington and Parker seem like very fun chaps who are involved with the students and school.

Honestly, I can't wait to matriculate.

Most everyone there I spoke to felt the same way, that they were definitely coming to UCLA. I was surprised by how large and convinced the prospective student body was.

Before I began the application process I had my eyes set on UCSD and UCLA. Honestly, when you approach the top 20 schools, I don't think there's a big difference between schools in the opportunities available or the quality of medical education. At a certain point, it becomes a question of what city and culture do you most want to live in and your financial situation. In terms of culture and environment, LA is mighty hard to beat. Such diversity and so much, so close.

I can't wait to start learning with my fellow peers!

I mean I love DGSOM, and it will always be my #1 in CA, but even joking that its a resort is straight up incorrect. I'm highly familiar with every aspect of the school since I went to UCLA for undergrad. At DGSOM, the facilities are run down and cramped, the housing is terrible compared to places like UCI. UCI and UCSD, now THOSE are resorts. There are far better reasons to love DGSOM, and those are along the lines of amazing research, p/f curriculum, and clinical opportunities.

I mean I love DGSOM, and it will always be my #1 in CA, but even joking that its a resort is straight up incorrect. I'm highly familiar with every aspect of the school since I went to UCLA for undergrad. At DGSOM, the facilities are run down and cramped, the housing is terrible compared to places like UCI. UCI and UCSD, now THOSE are resorts. There are far better reasons to love DGSOM, and those are along the lines of amazing research, p/f curriculum, and clinical opportunities.

You did not understand his comment, nor my explanation. What is more, Darth Vader finds your lack of faith disturbing.

Read my post again. Specifically this part,
"It has everything a city can offer as well as everything nature can offer within a few miles (and on a grand scale). That plus warm weather and palm trees."

From this you can see, that I meant LA and its environs are the resort. UCLA is in the middle of said resort. Medical school is school not a resort.

How nice for you to be "highly familiar" with every aspect of the school. One would think you should be running it by now, no?

Last edited:
You did not understand his comment, nor my explanation. What is more, Darth Vader finds your lack of faith disturbing.

Read my post again. Specifically this part,
"It has everything a city can offer as well as everything nature can offer within a few miles (and on a grand scale). That plus warm weather and palm trees."

From this you can tell, that I meant LA and its environs are the resort. UCLA is in the middle of said resort. Medical school is school not a resort.

How nice for you to be "highly familiar" with the school. Good job.

Maybe our definitions of "resort" differ significantly, but for me, at the very least, it includes beaches where you can ACTUALLY go in the water. By this traditional definition of resort, comparing places like corona del mar/newport beach and la jolla to places like santa monica/LA beaches is completely worthless. Have a nice day.

Maybe our definitions of "resort" differ significantly, but for me, at the very least, it includes beaches where you can ACTUALLY go in the water. By this traditional definition of resort, comparing places like corona del mar/newport beach and la jolla to places like santa monica/LA beaches is completely worthless. Have a nice day.

I'm confident many of our definitions differ significantly.

My student host managed to swim in Santa Monica beach on second look, despite the chilly weekend. He came out reasonably un-mutated.

I hope you get in to UCI or UCSD. I really do. You strike me as a very companionable and cheerful sort. I'm sure you and your contemporaries have a friendly and professional working relationship to look forward to. Good luck!

My student host managed to swim in Santa Monica beach on second look, despite the chilly weekend. He came out reasonably un-mutated.

I hope you get in to UCI or UCSD. I really do. You strike me as a very companionable and cheerful sort. I'm sure you and your contemporaries have a friendly and professional working relationship to look forward to. Good luck!

Same to you. Im glad you went straight from the airport to UCLA, had some diddy riese and in n out without actually seeing what LA REALLY is, and suddenly decide that its a resort. I wish you success in life.

As for me, Ive already been accepted at UCSD, but I would choose DGSOM because of the reasons that Ive mentioned before.

Same to you. Im glad you went straight from the airport to UCLA, had some diddy riese and in n out without actually seeing what LA REALLY is, and suddenly decide that its a resort. I wish you success in life.

As for me, Ive already been accepted at UCSD, but I would choose DGSOM because of the reasons that Ive mentioned before.

Please let us know if you are accepted here. I'm sure many of us on the board would be interested in hearing.

Please let us know if you are accepted here. I'm sure many of us on the board would be interested in hearing.

Definitely. Im looking forward to meeting all the comedians who call LA a resort. :D

And the award for troll of the year goes to none other than uclabruins2011. Bravo and well done! Now go back under the bridge from which you came.

Definitely. Im looking forward to meeting all the comedians who call LA a resort. :D

Tolerance of other's opinions is a virtue.

You don't know my background. You don't know what I've done, where I've been, or who I am. Maybe I have a past that would make me view LA as a haven and a resort. If so, then maybe it would be more beneficial to you to find out why rather than criticizing my choice of description or what I find happy. Imagine I were a patient. Would you jump down my throat because I thought LA was a resort? No, of course not. You must treat patients with respect and courtesy. It would be nice to have that same courtesy accorded to others on this board.

There are certainly better ways you can express yourself. I've seen you launch personal attacks against others and attack others because their opinions differ from yours. In a professional environment, neither of these traits will get you far.

I know this just feeds the flames (I just couldn't help myself).

How nice for you to be "highly familiar" with every aspect of the school. One would think you should be running it by now, no?

uclabruins, I apologize to you for this and the other sarcasm. It was unnecessary. But you really get underneath my skin with the way you say things. Having a different opinion is fine, but to me you often come across as antagonistic and hurtful in your statements.

Tolerance of other's opinions is a virtue.

You don't know my background. You don't know what I've done, where I've been, or who I am. Maybe I have a past that would make me view LA as a haven and a resort. If so, then maybe it would be more beneficial to you to find out why rather than criticizing my choice of description or what I find happy. Imagine I were a patient. Would you jump down my throat because I thought LA was a resort? No, of course not. You must treat patients with respect and courtesy. It would be nice to have that same courtesy accorded to others on this board.

There are certainly better ways you can express yourself. I've seen you launch personal attacks against others and attack others because their opinions differ from yours. In a professional environment, neither of these traits will get you far.

I know this just feeds the flames (I just couldn't help myself).

Man I wasn't even trying to offend, and if I did, Im truly sorry about that. Im saying that speaking objectively, LA really is not a great place to live. I lived there for a while, it just isnt. Compared to most of southern california, the standard of living is horrific. Im trying to emphasize the fact that there are amazing strong points to DGSOM, its just that the city of LA itself is not one of them. That is all. No reason to get so offended...

Man I wasn't even trying to offend, and if I did, Im truly sorry about that. Im saying that speaking objectively, LA really is not a resort. I've been here for a while, it just isnt. Compared to most of southern california, the standard of living is horrific. Im trying to emphasize the fact that there are amazing strong points to DGSOM, its just that the city of LA itself is not one of them. That is all. No reason to get so offended...

No worries. Clearly, we just had a miscommunication due to the lack of connotation associated with internet messages.

My one problem with UCLA is that a lot of people seem stuck up. Of course, every school will have people like that, but it's something about people who go to UCLA (my closest friends included), whether it is for undergrad or any type of graduate school. Where does this chip on the shoulder come from? Some sort of entitlement for knowing LA is more than the Hollywood sign and star maps? If I'm from Podunktownhickville, is this how I can expect to be treated?

My one problem with UCLA is that a lot of people seem stuck up. Of course, every school will have people like that, but it's something about people who go to UCLA (my closest friends included), whether it is for undergrad or any type of graduate school. Where does this chip on the shoulder come from? Some sort of entitlement for knowing LA is more than the Hollywood sign and star maps? If I'm from Podunktownhickville, is this how I can expect to be treated?

I've heard of this stereotype as well, but not witnessed it.

How have you seen this "stuck-upness" manifested?

Ok so its funny because I remember at our tour of the undergrad in the few months before summer of HS graduation, one of our guides told us something very interesting that stuck with me since then. At the time (around 2006-2007) UCLA was really starting to further push its reputation as the most applied to school in the country, but even back then, the reason seemed 9 times out of 10 because high school kids seemed to apply only to UCLA because its in LA, without knowing what the city or school really is etc.

I dont really know if this whole attitude persists among the med students (because it seems like a bunch are from places other than so-cal) and obviously med school applicants are wiser than HS applicants as far as researching the area itself. But it might help put in perspective why undergrads from the area are so annoyed by non-socal high school kids who are so excited about going to school in "LA"

Ok so its funny because I remember at our tour of the undergrad in the few months before summer of HS graduation, one of our guides told us something very interesting that stuck with me since then. At the time (around 2006-2007) UCLA was really starting to further push its reputation as the most applied to school in the country, but even back then, the reason seemed 9 times out of 10 because high school kids seemed to apply only to UCLA because its in LA, without knowing what the city or school really is etc.

I dont really know if this whole attitude persists among the med students (because it seems like a bunch are from places other than so-cal) and obviously med school applicants are wiser than HS applicants as far as researching the area itself. But it might help put in perspective why undergrads from the area are so annoyed by non-socal high school kids who are so excited about going to school in "LA"

:laugh: This guy. Trying so hard to convince everyone else to drop their acceptance at UCLA because it's a run down dump and tuition is too high and only going to get worse. But will absolutely jump on that waitlist offer the very second they offer it to him. So painfully obvious.

:laugh: This guy. Trying so hard to convince everyone else to drop their acceptance at UCLA because it's a run down dump and tuition is too high and only going to get worse. But will absolutely jump on that waitlist offer the very second they offer it to him. So painfully obvious.

I think you either lack basic reading comprehension skills, or youre too lazy to read my reasons for why DGSOM is my top choice in CA. In any case, you should read a thread before you embarrass yourself in your ill-intentioned attempt to attack others.

Last edited:
Because this thread needs some humor: You must check out George Takei's facebook page. I just discovered it. Funniest guy ever!

Mr. Sulu is the bomb!

tumblr_m39b1sS6CO1qkgjq5o1_1280.jpg

I really like the right side captions (Colbert down to Gore).

and...

http://www.allegiancemusical.com/video/george-takei-happy-dance

Last edited:
Hahaha, I believe this is the 2nd time that this thread has turned to A Game of Thrones when things get chippy.

I think that the Robert-Bill Clinton comparison is a little unfair to Bill, while the Daenerys-Palin one is kind of unfair to Daenerys. But the Tyrion and Ned ones are pretty good.

New episode tonight! But it's already aired on the east coast, so I might look for it now. Studying can wait.

Ummm, Los Angeles is the best city in the US, definitely CA. Resort is an understatement for the city.

Ummm, Los Angeles is the best city in the US, definitely CA. Resort is an understatement for the city.

:eyebrow: I can definitely see how you might call Westwood a resort (walking access to tons of food and shopping?) but LA as a whole.... just no.

Even though I'm from SoCal, I prefer the Bay. Public transportation, great food, more varied weather (no dry, deathly heat). Fun times all around. LA is nice, though :)

Some people like living in LA, others don't.

Lol/facepalm @ anyone who tries to turn their personal opinion into a blanket statement about the quality of life in LA.

PS- I also swam in the Santa Monica swamp recently and this third arm I grew is extremely helpful for taking extra notes.

PSS- that Game of Thrones image is so full of win. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

PS- I also swam in the Santa Monica swamp recently and this third arm I grew is extremely helpful for taking extra notes.

You should write it up in a report. Free paper for the win!

Some people like living in LA, others don't.

Lol/facepalm @ anyone who tries to turn their personal opinion into a blanket statement about the quality of life in LA.

PSS- that Game of Thrones image is so full of win. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I actually liked living in LA because of all the activity and hustle and bustle of the city. I enjoyed it more than the bay area, where im from. With that said, its not a question of personal opinion as to the quality of life in LA. Objectively, los angeles has a low standard of living, this is not even a question of opinion. There are a ton of reasons as to why, but if you live there you already know why. Opinion matters more when deciding whether or not you like it. I for example am willing to sacrifice the living standards of palo alto, so i can live in LA, which is a lot of fun in my opinion. But it is no resort, even at its best it is gritty and grimy. I personally like that about it. But i will not say that standards of living is a measure of opinion, thats just incorrect

I actually liked living in LA because of all the activity and hustle and bustle of the city. I enjoyed it more than the bay area, where im from. With that said, its not a question of personal opinion as to the quality of life in LA. Objectively, los angeles has a low standard of living, this is not even a question of opinion. There are a ton of reasons as to why, but if you live there you already know why. Opinion matters more when deciding whether or not you like it. I for example am willing to sacrifice the living standards of palo alto, so i can live in LA, which is a lot of fun in my opinion. But it is no resort, even at its best it is gritty and grimy. I personally like that about it. But i will not say that standards of living is a measure of opinion, thats just incorrect

As someone who says he used to live in Westwood, I'm having a little trouble understanding why you say this. Walking distance to Bel Air is not exactly low standard of living. Unless you're of the opinion that that is a low standard of living.

As someone who says he used to live in Westwood, I'm having a little trouble understanding why you say this. Walking distance to Bel Air is not exactly low standard of living. Unless you're of the opinion that that is a low standard of living.

I think you dont understand what standard of living actually means in the first place. Im referring to parameters normal people care about, such as price of rent per square foot, quality of said apartments as far as maintenance and amenities, crime (not necessarily violent), pollution, traffic, structural issues such as the willingess of the city to fix GIANT potholes, noise, price of parking and availability of said parking. Im not going to tell you how westwood fares in all these areas because its kind of obvious, but ill say this. Dude, just stop it. You wont win. Theres no point in even pushing this issue. I love LA more than other places with a superior standard of living because of the excitement, but i will never try to sell westwood as something it isnt. Its an amazing place, but dont ever try the standard of living argument, because it doesnt work, and in fact will weaken your cause. Let people deal with the reality, westwood is not for everyone. I love it, but at the same time i accept what it really is.

Last edited:
Level of material comfort that an individual or group aspires to or may achieve. This includes not only privately purchased goods and services but collectively consumed goods and services such as those provided by public utilities and governments. A standard of living determined for a group such as a country must be examined critically in terms of its constituent values. If the mean value increases over time, but at the same time the rich become richer and the poor poorer, the group may not be collectively better off. Various quantitative indicators can be used as measuring rods, including life expectancy, access to nutritious food and a safe water supply, and availability of medical care.

Apparently your taking a more subjective look at this, westwood and the surrounding cities have a very high standard of living by any means of measurement... stop trying to diss LA, there is bad neighborhoods in any county but LA is among the top two or three cities in the states. And you stop it, you won't win, and your coming off as obnoxious and arrogant.

Apparently your taking a more subjective look at this, westwood and the surrounding cities have a very high standard of living by any means of measurement... stop trying to diss LA, there is bad neighborhoods in any county but LA is among the top two or three cities in the states. And you stop it, you won't win, and your coming off as obnoxious and arrogant.

Prove me wrong buddy. Look at all those parameters i listed, which are things that normal students care about, and try to refute what i just said. I dare you. Because im curious to see to what extent you will go to mislead people who have never lived in Westwood. Game over. Good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.