2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 char)

2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 char)

3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 char)

4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 char to explain if yes)

5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 char)

6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 char)

7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 char)

8. Section to enter major work experiences, with 4000 char. to explain each experience.

9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? If yes: Please explain. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors: (500 char)

10. Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! MS2 checking in! I'll be around to answer any questions you may have throughout this cycle either here or PM. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey @The Optimistic Medstudent ! Thanks for offering your time. I'm not sure if you're IS or OOS, but as an OOS applicant this cycle, what do you think I can do to maximize my chances? DGSOM would be the dream. I can also PM if you want more details and all

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @The Optimistic Medstudent ! Thanks for offering your time. I'm not sure if you're IS or OOS, but as an OOS applicant this cycle, what do you think I can do to maximize my chances? DGSOM would be the dream. I can also PM if you want more details and all

I was an IS applicant. Just make sure they get a complete picture of who you are in your secondary. Spend a good amount of time on it and focus on what the experiences meant to you and how they affected you as a person. Try not to focus as much on "laundry listing" all of your accomplishments. Depth is key here!

Reactions: 1 users
"MS2 enjoying medschool and personal life balance! :banana:"

GOAL!

So I did something stupid and accidentally wrote that I applied here when I have not. I did not realize this till after submitting. Should I call the school and let them know?

So I did something stupid and accidentally wrote that I applied here when I have not. I did not realize this till after submitting. Should I call the school and let them know?

I think you should call AMCAS... I remember someone made a post about it last cycle and had to end up withdrawing and re-submit. If i remember correctly..

I think you should call AMCAS... I remember someone made a post about it last cycle and had to end up withdrawing and re-submit. If i remember correctly..
ok thanks!

Is UCLA biased toward regional applicants? I've seen the distribution of OOS on MSAR, but I've seen a few people mention that

Is UCLA biased toward regional applicants? I've seen the distribution of OOS on MSAR, but I've seen a few people mention that

No, they are not. A good chunk of my classmates are from the east coast. Just keep in mind that in California there are an incredibly high volume of competitive applicants which may account for the high Cali numbers in the class.

To any former/current students, would you call the atmosphere more competitive or collaborative?

To any former/current students, would you call the atmosphere more competitive or collaborative?

Chill AF and extremely collaborative. I can't tell you how many anki decks and Final review PDF's I've downloaded from classmates on our Facebook group page. But this is also somewhat class dependent. The pass/fail system promotes collaboration overall though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I’m a fourth year whose currently on my master’s year. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out!!

Do any current med students know any students who have had success getting into Geffen with low gpa and high mcat? I'm sitting at (3.3 525) and wondering if I should even apply. I went to UCLA for undergrad and would obviously love the chance to remain in westwood

Do any current med students know any students who have had success getting into Geffen with low gpa and high mcat? I'm sitting at (3.3 525) and wondering if I should even apply. I went to UCLA for undergrad and would obviously love the chance to remain in westwood

Ask Ethan Bradberry

You miss all the shots you don't take!

Reactions: 3 users
UCLA screens for secondaries right? Do you know what is taken into consideration for the screen? Is it like all apps are reviewed initially for the personal statements, activities, gpa, mcat, etc before some applicants are sent secondaries. Then the secondaries undergo another round of review to select people for interviews?

Just submitted my app today, waiting for my transcripts to arrive! Hoping to get some love from the UC's since I am IS :)

Reactions: 1 users
UCLA screens for secondaries right? Do you know what is taken into consideration for the screen? Is it like all apps are reviewed initially for the personal statements, activities, gpa, mcat, etc before some applicants are sent secondaries. Then the secondaries undergo another round of review to select people for interviews?

I am not entirely sure what the criteria are for secondaries. I would assume everything is taken into consideration.

so I hadn't checked for this beforehand but the oldest MCAT UCLA says it will accept is June 2016. Mine is from Jan. 2016. RIP

Did they ask you to take new one for you to be eligible to apply? Just curious how strict they are with the MCAT expiration policy.

Has anyone received a secondary yet? I'm drowning in other ones so there's no rush. But just wondering if anyone's made the cut yet

Sorry about the wait, consider it us giving you a breather between all the other secondaries coming out right now :) Our pre-secondary screening process blinds the reviewers to your numbers in order to make it as holistic a review as possible, but it also means our process takes longer than many other schools who don't blind (or prescreen at all) similarly. On the plus side, by the time you get our secondary, hopefully you'll be able to reuse a lot of essays you've already written for other schools after some character count edits!

Reactions: 18 users
So I'm a little confused on the letter of recommendation requirement. I have a committee letter from my school, but the requirements are from 3-5 letter. Does that mean I need to get 2 additional references besides my committee, or am I good to go?

So I'm a little confused on the letter of recommendation requirement. I have a committee letter from my school, but the requirements are from 3-5 letter. Does that mean I need to get 2 additional references besides my committee, or am I good to go?
A committee letter generally bypasses any other letter requirement

Just got a secondary invite. Verified 7/6, OOS

Essays same as last year

1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 char)

2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 char)

3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 char)

4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 char to explain if yes)

5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 char)

6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 char)

7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 char)

8. Section to enter major work experiences, with 4000 char. to explain each experience.

9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? If yes: Please explain. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors: (500 char)

10. Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a secondary invite. Verified 7/6, OOS

Essays same as last year

+1, OOS LM 78

Secondary received - OOS! Verified yesterday (7/19 @ 8:24am)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what percentage of apps get secondary?

Secondary received! Good luck everyone.