2022-2023 Dell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am an MS4 and this has long changed.

The new dean selection process was completed over this past year. They have not announced a new dean yet. I miss Clay all the time.

Yes, ENT will be limited at Dell, just being honest here. Our uro, plastics, ortho, ophtho, and even neurosurgery faculty are very highly involved. Plastics has their own biweekly research meetings w/ faculty, and ophtho and neurosurg just got a residencies, as did anesthesia. ENT is kind of odd man out as we have limited exposure, limited research, limited everything. I don't think (don't hold me to this) we've matched anyone in ENT yet while we have a good number of the all the other surgical subspecialties.
Wait, we have an anesthesia residency now?! Our other ms4s did not tell me that lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, we have an anesthesia residency now?! Our other ms4s did not tell me that lol
talked to ppl about this and I rescind anesthesia comment! I’d heard residents talking about it being on the table now that we have neurosurgery but this is not reality yet - my mistake.

For anyone wondering what it’s like going to a school that isn’t focused on boards, read through this thread! Please ask how students at the schools where you’ve interviewed how they feel resources like the AnKing line up with their curriculum!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone wondering what it’s like going to a school that isn’t focused on boards, read through this thread! Please ask how students at the schools where you’ve interviewed how they feel resources like the AnKing line up with their curriculum!

Is Dell not focused on boards? Just wondering because I don't know too much about the curriculum :)

Is Dell not focused on boards? Just wondering because I don't know too much about the curriculum :)
Not really. It covers high yield boards stuff during lecture/PILLARS, but they aren't watching boards and beyond videos as lectures or giving shelf exams as finals like at some schools. You can read more about the curriculum on the Dell website.

I think it is totally reasonable to go 100% Anki at Dell. In my year, the people who did weren't failing classes which means our lecture material overlapped the anki/BNB flashcards reasonably well. Would love to hear @Bot Puppet's thoughts.

I personally didn't use Anki much my first year and still had a lot of free time in MS1, so not a requirement but an option! If I could go back and do it again, I'd probably go 100% Anki for ~3 months worth of lecture that just didn't jive for me (microbio, pharmacology, physiology) since I basically learned all of that on my own outside of lecture.

Reactions: 3 users
Is McG still doing 2 years preclinical?
I count somewhere closer to 19 months from MS1 start to start of dedicated Step 1 period. Dell is 12 months to start of rotations.

Accounting for breaks, the actual time spent completing the preclinical curriculum is around 15 months at McGovern and around 11 months at Dell. Less difference than it seems at first glance. Dell has like a week of summer break, and McGovern has 10 weeks. Also, McGovern starts beginning of August, while Dell starts beginning of July. Lastly, McGovern experiences an additional winter break during MS2, while Dell's preclinical period ends before MS2 begins.

In summary, it's 11 vs 15 months of actual preclinical class time, or 12 vs 19 months including all breaks. I've been looking at their actual academic calendars, as opposed to relying solely on the curriculum schematics. Dell is definitely as modern as they come, but McGovern isn't as old-school as some might think.

I count somewhere closer to 19 months from MS1 start to start of dedicated Step 1 period. Dell is 12 months to start of rotations.

Accounting for breaks, the actual time spent completing the preclinical curriculum is around 15 months at McGovern and around 11 months at Dell. Less difference than it seems at first glance. Dell has like a week of summer break, and McGovern has 10 weeks. Also, McGovern starts beginning of August, while Dell starts beginning of July. Lastly, McGovern experiences an additional winter break during MS2, while Dell's preclinical period ends before MS2 begins.

In summary, it's 11 vs 15 months of actual preclinical class time, or 12 vs 19 months including all breaks. I've been looking at their actual academic calendars, as opposed to relying solely on the curriculum schematics. Dell is definitely as modern as they come, but McGovern isn't as old-school as some might think.
Which month does preclinical end at McG. For example both Baylor and UTSW have summer off at the end of year 1,after christmas break of third regular semester they start rotations(start August, summer break mid June or so until August, done with classes end of the year - btw Baylor is changing all that and trying to emulate Dell starting next year).

Looks like a couple of days into March, so I considered it ending in February. Technically, Dell is like 11.25 months, but that was just getting too crazy so I rounded lol. So yeah, summer off for McGovern, ending in February, but starting in August that first year is what puts them at 19. Baylor starts in August of MS1, so they are actually 17 months, not including the breaks. I don't have their academic calendar, so I don't know the actual weeks they have off for all breaks. But yeah, Baylor is shorter and is about to be Dell/Duke short lol.

Last edited:
Looks like a couple of days into March, so I considered it ending in February. Technically, Dell is like 11.25 months, but that was just getting too crazy so I rounded lol. So yeah, summer off for McGovern, ending in February, but starting in August that first year is what puts them at 19. Baylor starts in August of MS1, so they are actually 17 months, not including all breaks. I don't have their academic calendar, so I don't know the actual weeks they have off for all breaks. But yeah, Baylor is shorter and is about to be Dell/Duke short lol.
People attending college look at it as 3 semesters - fall, winter and summer. Calendar wise it would be August to December, January to June, June to August. Every school has their 4th year end in May (Graduations usually happen mid May to early June because every residency starts in July).

Is McG asking everyone to take Step 1 at the same time (prep time starting early March after classes)? UTSW and Baylor rotate groups of people to take time off for 8 weeks at a time so they are taking step 1 during their assigned slots.

People attending college look at it as 3 semesters - fall, winter and summer. Calendar wise it would be August to December, January to June, June to August. Every school has their 4th year end in May (Graduations usually happen mid May to early June because every residency starts in July).

Is McG asking everyone to take Step 1 at the same time (prep time starting early March after classes)? UTSW and Baylor rotate groups of people to take time off for 8 weeks at a time so they are taking step 1 during their assigned slots.
I'm not sure if it's rigid, but they do have Step 1 prep in a specific slot on their curriculum schematic, so it could be an inflexible deal. On the academic calendar it is 6 weeks, starting in March.

I'm not sure if it's rigid, but they do have Step 1 prep in a specific slot on their curriculum schematic, so it could be an inflexible deal. On the academic calendar it is 6 weeks, starting in March.
Seems rigid. This has always been McG's policy that everyone must complete step 1 before moving onto clinicals.

Seems rigid. This has always been McG's policy that everyone must complete step 1 before moving onto clinicals.
I wonder what they do if you're not ready after 6 weeks? You can't just start MS3 later than everyone, can you? Maybe you forfeit some of your elective time later that year or something. Sounds like 6 weeks is more than enough with the P/F version of Step 1, but I'm still curious about how this played out in the past when someone needed more time.

Last edited:
It’s not unheard of, I know of at least one more program that doesn’t let you begin clerkships until passing step 1. I believe they have you repeat a year with more focused studying.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From my interview day, I remember some students saying they took step 1 after starting clinicals. I remember because one student said “having that clinical experience really helped me prepare for step.” So I assume you can take it sort of whenever? Current students feel free to chime in please.

From my interview day, I remember some students saying they took step 1 after starting clinicals. I remember because one student said “having that clinical experience really helped me prepare for step.” So I assume you can take it sort of whenever? Current students feel free to chime in please.
Oh, that's our bad. We're in here talking about McGovern's curriculum via a stream of comments that took a turn away from Dell, but were initially related lol. You're definitely right about Dell, in that they are super flexible with when you can take the various Step exams. It's one of the coolest aspects of their curriculum, I think!

Last edited:
It’s not unheard of, I know of at least one more program that doesn’t let you begin clerkships until passing step 1. I believe they have you repeat a year with more focused studying.
What if you hadn't failed Step 1, but just felt a few extra weeks were necessary to guarantee a passing score?

I really don’t know unfortunately. I’m not even certain this program still has that policy or if it’s been scrapped.

I really don’t know unfortunately. I’m not even certain this program still has that policy or if it’s been scrapped.
Oh no problem! I was just wondering in general, for any program that has used that rule. More of a curiosity thing than something I really need to know haha.

Oh no problem! I was just wondering in general, for any program that has used that rule. More of a curiosity thing than something I really need to know haha.
I think every program has people learning how to cope based on the constraints they have for the prep. People given only 6 weeks might be starting their prep early or doing it along with each subject as they go along. Time allowed for prep is one issue but UTH was always at a disadvantage for Step 1 in terms of preparation compared to those which allowed more clerical rotations before they took step 1. People who do some rotations always had an advantage over those that didn't in terms of knowledge base. With P/F most of those advantages are eliminated since scoring higher or lower is not an issue.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
For those that interviewed at Dell, has it appeared on ur school preference rank list yet?

I know an MS2 who took Step 1 right after IM clerkship, so basically right after first year

Hmm that is not the case for me & it’s been a few weeks. Wonder what that means 😬😳
If you have interviewed at a school, it will appear in your rank list. Someone at the school has to enter the data manually. No reason to be concerned or feel pre-judged.
If it doesn’t show up by January call or email the school and ask them to please update you on their portal.

Got a secondary just now! Primary verified on 7/11

Secondary received today, finally. Primary verified on 7/16 LORs not in until 8/16.

If you have interviewed at a school, it will appear in your rank list. Someone at the school has to enter the data manually. No reason to be concerned or feel pre-judged.
If it doesn’t show up by January call or email the school and ask them to please update you on their portal.
Awesome. Thanks for the quick response! wishing the best for everyone this cycle!

Anyone want to give an OOS student hope (with strong ties). I interviewed here on Tuesday and was so impressed with the school/interview day being so intentional. The odds are so not in my favor though with such a small class size. Should I set expectations to not hear back until after match for all the TX-residents?

• Care
Anyone want to give an OOS student hope (with strong ties). I interviewed here on Tuesday and was so impressed with the school/interview day being so intentional. The odds are so not in my favor though with such a small class size. Should I set expectations to not hear back until after match for all the TX-residents?
There are only 5 seats for OOS. It is tough for OOS at Dell. Since you only have one step remaining you probably have a good shot. Dell likes offbeat applicants and you fit that perfectly..

Very good hire. Hopefully she is interested in Dell and not just moving for the warm weather. :)

Mayo is considered research heavy and Dell is no where close to being a research school. The new dean should change that.
She has a very research-focused career. This is awesome news for Dell!

There are only 5 seats for OOS. It is tough for OOS at Dell. Since you only have one step remaining you probably have a good shot. Dell likes offbeat applicants and you fit that perfectly..
Haha that is a great way to say it: "offbeat applicants". Here's to hoping!

• Haha

They have Abayas and dreadlocks. what can I say!

Each year they profile one military candidate. I am always impressed by them.

Does anyone know if Dell accepts application updates following an interview?

Does anyone know if Dell accepts application updates following an interview?
I believe they said updates (and letters of interest/intent) are accepted and added to your file BUT not considered by the admissions committee.

I believe they said updates (and letters of interest/intent) are accepted and added to your file BUT not considered by the admissions committee.
Used to they flat out said we dont accept updates. This seems to have changed but if no one reads them how does it help.

Just received an invite for a Dell med campus visit!! Happening 10/29

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an invite for a Dell med campus visit!! Happening 10/29
Same! "It is important to note that this is strictly an opportunity for you to learn more about Dell Med, participation on this day has no bearing on your evaluation which has already been done by the Admissions Selection Committee."

I wonder if we'll be hearing updates soon since they said evaluations are complete!

• Hmm
Same! "It is important to note that this is strictly an opportunity for you to learn more about Dell Med, participation on this day has no bearing on your evaluation which has already been done by the Admissions Selection Committee."

I wonder if we'll be hearing updates soon since they said evaluations are complete!
imagine attending the event after a pre match :0

• Wow
Used to they flat out said we dont accept updates. This seems to have changed but if no one reads them how does it help.
I just gave them a call to clarify and sounds like they do not accept updates unless they come through TMDSAS. So probably will only consider new course grades and things like that.

Does anyone know if Dell will send out prematch offers on the 15th/17th?

I predict no, but y'all be sure to correct me if I'm wrong!
Yes they do!

There will be no email or tmdsas note. If you are lucky enough to get a prematch this weekend, a professor, most likely one that interviewed you, will call you to tell you that you are admitted.

EDIT: I understand they tell people there will be almost no prematches but a limited number of people will get admitted and it may not exactly happen on 15th since people have to be lined up to make the call(s).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Does anyone know when Dell will stop sending out secondary invites? Will it be in November, with the primary application deadline? Still hoping for a secondary as this was my dream school lol

Does anyone know when Dell will stop sending out secondary invites? Will it be in November, with the primary application deadline? Still hoping for a secondary as this was my dream school lol
We kind remember Dell sending secondary past the official deadline for applications last year. It was a bit confusing for the recipient.

Surprising Dell hasn't called anyone yet.

• Wow