2022-2023 Charles R. Drew University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post secondary questions when they become available!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Primary submitted. Guess we'll see if they have some pre-secondary screening process.

Also anyone else curious that Drew is requiring 1 year of Biochemistry as a prereq? (biochem majors rejoice!)

Reactions: 1 user
Is this different from CDU/UCLA? And if I've already applied to CDU/UCLA should I add this on amcas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this different from CDU/UCLA? And if I've already applied to CDU/UCLA should I add this on amcas?
Someone correct me if i’m wrong but YES! This is a whole new entity unrelated to UCLA. You would have to add this on as a new medical school on the AMCAS application.

Reactions: 5 users
Primary submitted. Guess we'll see if they have some pre-secondary screening process.

Also anyone else curious that Drew is requiring 1 year of Biochemistry as a prereq? (biochem majors rejoice!)
Yea 1 year of biochem would disqualify me. I feel like most of us only took 1 semester of biochem. Anyone know if they really need 1 year?

• Care
Yea 1 year of biochem would disqualify me. I feel like most of us only took 1 semester of biochem. Anyone know if they really need 1 year?
I was wondering that too but we'll see

Someone correct me if i’m wrong but YES! This is a whole new entity unrelated to UCLA. You would have to add this on as a new medical school on the AMCAS application.
Yes! You are correct. If you want to apply to CDU, you need to add it on AMCAS. You can apply regardless of if you applied to CDU/UCLA!

I'm a current CDU/UCLA student 😊

• Love
Hi everyone, I submitted my application a few hours ago. I wonder what the MCAT score screening will be, also if they will take some out of state applicants. Best of Luck everyone !

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone share the link that shows a 1-year biochemistry requirement? I cannot find it.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for that! Yeah, I'm disqualified lol - good luck to all of you applying :)
No problem. We might be in the same boat, my undergrad didn't even offer a Biochem 2 lol

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Mhmmmm i took Biochem in undergrad and graduate school so technically that's a year 🤣

Most medical schools only require one semester of Biochemistry. Is it possible this may be a mistake :( Will this disqualify individuals who only took a semester?

Most medical schools only require one semester of Biochemistry. Is it possible this may be a mistake :( Will this disqualify individuals who only took a semester?
That's what I was thinking as well (possible typo that is)

im wondering the same thing..i dont think ive heard of other medical schools requiring the course for more than 1 quarter/semester

And one year of calculus

i think it should read one semester. should we call// email?

Don't they have a secondary? Their website stated screening of applications, then straight to interview invitation.

I emailed them. It is 1 year required.
They are so unserious with that, my school didn’t even have a biochem 2 and what other med schools even require a year (without allowing other classes like orgo 2 to act as replacement)??

Reactions: 6 users
so that disqualifies those who haven't taken a full year of biochem?

i guess since someone did email, its true. they require a full year of biochem.

• Care
Don't they have a secondary? Their website stated screening of applications, then straight to interview invitation.
Yes, they have a secondary. Check the FAQs and the admissions process section again. Primary due jan 2023, secondary feb 24, 2023 or 14 days after secondary invitation is received

wait why would they require one year of biochemistry? only biochem majors would do that (i was a biochem major) and maybe people with masters.

Anyone know if they’re OOS friendly now?

I found this on their website- thought people should know it doesn't appear to be a good choice for ORM applicants
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) is a private, non-profit, non-sectarian, minority-serving medical and health sciences institution located in the Watts-Willowbrook section of South Los Angeles. CDU is the only designated minority-serving health-sciences university in a county with a population of more than 10 million residents, 70 percent of whom are from minority communities. The University earned designation as a minority-serving institution by the U.S. Office for Civil Rights, and recognized by the Department of Education under Title III, Part B as a Historically Black Graduate Institution. CDU is also a charter member of the Hispanic-Serving Health Professions Schools, a national not-for profit organization dedicated to improving the health of Hispanic people through research initiatives, training opportunities, and academic development. The University serves as the only academic health sciences and medical research center for the local service area’s 1.5 million residents – the largest underserved urban area in the United States.

I found this on their website- thought people should know it doesn't appear to be a good choice for ORM applicants
I hope they would do their research on the school before applying lol i mean it's known that the CDU/ucla program is one of the 4 HBCU med school programs in the country. This will make it 5.

Anyone know if they’re OOS friendly now?
I know they have people from the east coast in the cdu/ucla program. If you match their mission and truly want to serve Black and Brown communities, def apply. Don't let OOS status deter you

does anyone think I can submit primary app without having an mcat score yet. test scheduled for jan 14th. Emailed admissions and waiting for answer

does anyone think I can submit primary app without having an mcat score yet. test scheduled for jan 14th. Emailed admissions and waiting for answer
It's say it needs to be taken by September but definitely let us know what they say

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-195553.png
    Screenshot_20221109-195553.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 298
Ofc Biochem is required but it still doesn’t exactly answer if it’s strictly one year 🤔 Especially since UCLA/Drew needs only one semester.

Ofc Biochem is required but it still doesn’t exactly answer if it’s strictly one year 🤔 Especially since UCLA/Drew needs only one semester.
I guess my assumption was: they got feedback about the one year Biochem requirement. They stood by it (post #22). Soon after people discussed the FAQ showing no Biochemistry listed as a requirement. Chances are they were contacted about it as a way to argue that 1 year may not be required. Then they chose to update the FAQ to reflect the Biochem is indeed required but made no move to backtrack the one year requirement.

I would say so far they are sticking to the one year. They may take it back, but for now I would recommend not wasting $43 with their primary. The deadline is in January, better to give it a couple weeks before wasting money.

What a waste of $43. What kind of school requires a year of calculus and biochem? Most schools don’t even require calc let alone a second semester of biochem. Sh** is ridiculous imo

CDU post bacc program offers calc I and II. Maybe requirements were aligned with that program.

Reactions: 3 users
I understand calculus 1 and 2 but not TWO semesters of biochem…. Don’t think any established medical school requires 2 semesters of biochem… Not even Harvard strictly requires 2 semesters of biochem.. Wow ... Unfortunately they are potentially weeding out applicants that fit their mission from that. Very interesting for a new school indeed..
Yea, I concur with the notion they are probably weeding out applicants

did anyone get receipt from CDU indicating their application was received?

• Inappropriate
I understand calculus 1 and 2 but not TWO semesters of biochem…. Don’t think any established medical school requires 2 semesters of biochem… Not even Harvard strictly requires 2 semesters of biochem.. Wow ... Unfortunately they are potentially weeding out applicants that fit their mission from that. Very interesting for a new school indeed..
Yea that's what I would guess they were doing, but honestly I think they might end up weeding out essentially everybody lol. The pool of us URM applicants is already pretty small, even less the ones with the stats that they might want, and this requirement on top of it makes it seem like a very small group of individuals they are choosing from.