2022-2023 Dell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS Secondary received today! 3rd cycle applying and 1st time I get a secondary here! LETS GOOOO

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary around noon today! (1° submitted 06/15, transmitted 07/29)

Reactions: 1 user
Got my receipt of application on June 4th, but my LORs weren’t in until July 21st. Still no secondary.

Received this 2 days prior to interview day for those curious.

“Traditional Interview:
Your traditional interview will focus on your life experiences. Your grades and coursework are not under consideration. The interviewer will focus on the activities and experiences listed on your TMDSAS application, and TMDSAS Essays. The purpose is to assess for the presence of the Life Experiences as listed on the Applicants Guide. Be sure to discuss your experiences with a focus on how those experiences shaped you, what you learned about yourself and others, and how they motivate and define you. We want students who can share their experiences in a way that can educate, inform, and inspire colleagues. There is no question that you are THAT amazing, here is your chance to inform us.

Group Exercise:
In the Group Exercise, your group will be in a breakout room with four other interviewees and will be given a prompt and asked to compose a single, consensus response to one question. The question is not one related to sciences or academics. An observer will be present. The total time of the activity is 45 minutes to give enough time for instruction prior to the start of the activity, however the activity itself is timed and you must submit in your response at the end of 20 minutes. The observer will not be able to clarify any part of the exercise for you while you are in session. You will be evaluated based on both the content of your responses and the processes you use.

Multiple Video Assessments (MVA):
There are 5 stations, each with 2 minutes to read the scenario and then 6 minutes to respond. You are encouraged to “Think Out Loud.” There is not a single right answer or even a single best answer to the scenarios. After you record your response the rater will evaluate your response based on your thought process that led you to your decision. Due to the 6 minute structured format of the MVA you may find that you finish early. It is perfectly acceptable to not use the entire 6 minutes.”

Reactions: 7 users
Exact same situation here, same dates for both. Got II’s from 4 TX schools but no secondary from Dell yet.
No Dell Secondary either. Wysdoc had said they release them throughout the cycle so who knows. Their screening process for secondaries is apparently pretty intense. If it makes it easier I know someone who was accepted at Dell and only got their secondary in October.

Reactions: 6 users
For those who didnt receive an early II, i wouldn’t worry. It was heavily emphasized throughout my interview that there is NO preference given to people who interview first. Someone who interviews very late in the cycle has every opportunity to be ranked highly.

Reactions: 3 users
Tru Tru. I received an II late during my cycle and prematched.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who didnt receive an early II, i wouldn’t worry. It was heavily emphasized throughout my interview that there is NO preference given to people who interview first. Someone who interviews very late in the cycle has every opportunity to be ranked highly.
lol would this apply to people who haven't received a secondary yet either? ://

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, quick question.

I submitted TMDSAS on 6/16, but only just got verified and transmitted as there was an issue with my residency claim. It all worked out and I was granted residency status, and just received secondaries. Will this affect my chances of receiving II if my LizzyM is an 81?

Hi all, quick question.

I submitted TMDSAS on 6/16, but only just got verified and transmitted as there was an issue with my residency claim. It all worked out and I was granted residency status, and just received secondaries. Will this affect my chances of receiving II if my LizzyM is an 81?
Did you file them yet? Dell is not automatic.

Can someone confirm or deny whether you receive a confirmation after you submit your secondary?

Can someone confirm or deny whether you receive a confirmation after you submit your secondary?
There is no confirmation email. I emailed Dell the next day just to confirm and they said it was received so no need to fret, they just don't send out confirmation emails after the secondary is complete.

Got secondary invite yesterday (8/19), transmitted 8/17,

I’m feeling the same way. Has anyone tried reaching out to them? They said applications would be reviewed repeatedly throughout the admissions cycle but I just want to know if I've been screened out

I’m feeling the same way. Has anyone tried reaching out to them? They said applications would be reviewed repeatedly throughout the admissions cycle but I just want to know if I've been screened out
I am currently a MS1 at Dell. Applications are reviewed throughout the cycle. There is really no set pattern for secondary/interviews, you just have to be patient. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them the best I can!

Reactions: 2 users
You can read about their process on their page @boomertexas and @Monstera_deliciosa, I linked it in this earlier post #14
I think @chicandtoughness experience getting the secondary in 2 days is unusual

I’m from Austin and am a good mission match for their school. If you haven’t gotten one it doesn’t mean you won’t!!

received an invite to a Sunday Session (post interview) as URM. I have a prior engagement at that time; would not attending affect my chances of an acceptance?

received an invite to a Sunday Session (post interview) as URM. I have a prior engagement at that time; would not attending affect my chances of an acceptance?
I hope you have applied broadly across the nation. With 78 LM score and URM status, you probably are competitive at most places. My guess is you are already in at Dell and this is a recruitment session.

Edit: I see that you have received IIs from some T10/T5 schools already. So Texas schools know you ain't coming.

I hope you have applied broadly across the nation. With 78 LM score and URM status, you probably are competitive at most places. My guess is you are already in at Dell and this is a recruitment session.

Edit: I see that you have received IIs from some T10/T5 schools already. So Texas schools know you ain't coming.
Plenty of people still pick a Texan program due to cost or wanting to be closer to family. I really doubt the Texan schools would write them off because they have too good of an application.

Plenty of people still pick a Texan program due to cost or wanting to be closer to family. I really doubt the Texan schools would write them off because they have too good of an application.
I didnt say they dont interview and admit them, only that they are not actually expecting them to enroll.

NYU is a free tuition school and I have seen them adding free room and board for a few on top. Other schools @oatly is interviewing at have ridiculous amounts of financial aid to beat the cost of attendance in Texas.

Same. Also wondering…
These are recruitment events and to make you feel comfortable about the school lest you choose UTSW or Baylor over them.

In theory, they are gauzing your interest in the school. If you truly can't attend ask them when the next session might be that you can join since it sounds like they invited already interviewed people?

Last edited:
What about McGovern? Lol
Schools are always trying to compete with other schools they might be losing students they want. The pecking order in Texas at the moment is Baylor, UTSW, Dell, then McGovern, UTMB, Long, A&M and so on. If Dell gets a rank, they could be number 1.

Schools are always trying to compete with other schools they might be losing students they want. The pecking order in Texas at the moment is Baylor, UTSW, Dell, then McGovern, UTMB, Long, A&M and so on. If Dell gets a rank, they could be number 1.
Could you elaborate on why people are ranking Dell over McGovern? I'm set to interview at McGovern after interviewing at Dell. While Dell seemed fantastic, I don't see how people could rank it above McGovern and the TMC. This is probably the most difficult decision for me, rank-wise. I feel like the small class size is playing a part?

Could you elaborate on why people are ranking Dell over McGovern? I'm set to interview at McGovern after interviewing at Dell. While Dell seemed fantastic, I don't see how people could rank it above McGovern and the TMC. This is probably the most difficult decision for me, rank-wise. I feel like the small class size is playing a part?
Dell is just cool as heck.

I don’t get it either. Unless I had something really creative and important in mind to do during the Dell “discovery year” I would rather attend a traditional school and get more basic education and more clinical rotations.

Reactions: 3 users
Dell is a different type of school compared all other schools in Texas. It started with a curriculum that made them a peer of Harvard when the school started as almost the first couple of schools with one year classes 6 years ago and now others like Baylor are just catching up starting next year. It gives students a lot of bandwidth to get another degree, do a whole year of research or do a year of rotations in competitive specialization areas to which one might want to apply. They had no track record until they matched their first set of residents and now that they have a track record, it makes an easier pick when people can see it is not a risk as a new school. I also heard they have some of the highest step averages although I dont have the numbers handy.

#1 Reason. Unless it has changed, students eat for free at Dell's main hospital.

When I interviewed there in person way back when, we toured the hospital and were told it. No free food in the TMC at McGovern, but yes in the hospitals in the same system outside of the medical center.