2022-2023 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @drewmighty for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Rush Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Rush Medical College is located on Chicago’s near west side and serves a diverse patient population. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us about a life experience that has broadened your own world view or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from this experience. (1000 characters)

2. As an anchor institution, Rush is embedded in its strategies to improve the societal and structural determinants of health, which improve the economic vitality of Chicago’s west side neighborhoods and help residents achieve better health. Using your own experiences, describe how you have impacted and/or changed a person or community. (1000 characters)

3. Do you have direct patient care/contact experience beyond shadowing/observing? Answering "yes" demonstrates you have had active interactions with patients and/or clinical participation in their continuum of care. (if yes you fill out a 400 char description of activities for EACH experience)

4. If applicable, describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your application to and/or preparation for medical school. (1000 characters)

5. (Optional) Use this space to provide additional information, which is non-COVID related, you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your application (1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Rush University Rush Medical College Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FYI: Rush requires physiology as its prereq now. I'm not sure if they required it for last cycle, but when I applied (19-20), they didn't!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My course was titled anatomy and physiology. Hope that works -_-

Hey all, e-mailed in regards to the physiology pre-req and this is what they stated: "Prerequisite courses were new for the 2022 cycle and are still in the process of being phased in as requirements. For the 2023 cycle applicants will be able to indicate which of their courses meet the prerequisite requirement and provide a course description on the secondary application. To qualify for physiology, the course should focus on how the human body works."

Hey all, e-mailed in regards to the physiology pre-req and this is what they stated: "Prerequisite courses were new for the 2022 cycle and are still in the process of being phased in as requirements. For the 2023 cycle applicants will be able to indicate which of their courses meet the prerequisite requirement and provide a course description on the secondary application. To qualify for physiology, the course should focus on how the human body works."
so it sounds like they will still require physiology right? Ugh, Rush used to be one of my top choices but I guess not anymore

As an anchor institution, Rush is embedded in its strategies to improve the societal and structural determinants of health, which improve the economic vitality of Chicago’s west side neighborhoods and help residents achieve better health. Using your own experiences, describe how you have impacted and/or changed a person or community.

does this question want impacting people in "societal and structural determinants of health" or can any impact work (liking changing and opening someone's mind up who was racist?

Members don't see this ad :)
prompts:
1. Rush Medical College is located on Chicago’s near west side and serves a diverse patient population. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us about a life experience that has broadened your own world view or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from this experience. (1000 characters)

2. As an anchor institution, Rush is embedded in its strategies to improve the societal and structural determinants of health, which improve the economic vitality of Chicago’s west side neighborhoods and help residents achieve better health. Using your own experiences, describe how you have impacted and/or changed a person or community. (1000 characters)

Do you have direct patient care/contact experience beyond shadowing/observing? Answering "yes" demonstrates you have had active interactions with patients and/or clinical participation in their continuum of care. (if yes you fill out a 400 char description of activities for EACH experience)

If applicable, describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your application to and/or preparation for medical school. (1000 char)

Use this space to provide additional information, which is non-COVID related, you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your application (Optional)(1000 char):

Reactions: 1 users
As an anchor institution, Rush is embedded in its strategies to improve the societal and structural determinants of health, which improve the economic vitality of Chicago’s west side neighborhoods and help residents achieve better health. Using your own experiences, describe how you have impacted and/or changed a person or community.

does this question want impacting people in "societal and structural determinants of health" or can any impact work (liking changing and opening someone's mind up who was racist?
"Using your own experiences, describe how you have impacted and/or changed a person or community." I would focus on this line

prompts:

Do you have direct patient care/contact experience beyond shadowing/observing? Answering "yes" demonstrates you have had active interactions with patients and/or clinical participation in their continuum of care. (if yes you fill out a 400 char description of activities for EACH experience)

If applicable, describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your application to and/or preparation for medical school. (1000 char)

Use this space to provide additional information, which is non-COVID related, you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your application (Optional)(1000 char):
@wysdoc

What are we saying for algebra if we skipped algebra in college? Like I'm pretty sure I did Calc I as my first math class.

What are we saying for algebra if we skipped algebra in college? Like I'm pretty sure I did Calc I as my first math class.
It states algebra or higher. I did calc as well

For the Cell Bio recommendation are yall putting any class apart from cell bio?

No, but I'm sure you could if there is an alternative (i.e. tissues-focused anatomy, maybe other biology courses).
I think Cell Biology is good enough though.

I emailed admissions with a course description of my "Cell Physiology" course and they said they would take it.

+1 OOS; does anyone know if they pre-screen
"Once Rush receives your AMCAS application and an initial review of your application has been completed, those select individuals who we will seriously consider for interview will be invited to complete and submit our secondary application."

Yes, they do. I believe one thing they look for > 0 hours in community service. Not sure what else, though.

Edit: I'm a bad reader. My question was answered in the secondary prompt.

Is the physiology requirement something that needs to be completed or in progress right now? Or, can this be completed after gaining an acceptance during the fall or summer? Asking since I do not have any physiology related course listed on my transcript.

Is the physiology requirement something that needs to be completed or in progress right now? Or, can this be completed after gaining an acceptance during the fall or summer? Asking since I do not have any physiology related course listed on my transcript.

+1 I have the same question!

From Rush's website: "Ideally, an applicant will have completed the four prerequisites prior to application submission, but the Admissions Selection Committee will accept courses in progress documented on a transcript. Successful completion of the prerequisites are required by matriculation."

I think it'd be advantageous to stick to describing how you impacted others in a "determinants of health way", since Rush is saying that is their mission. But, if you only have an experience with changing someone's views, write about that.

Does anyone know a substitute for cell bio? would genetics, intro bio work?

OOS, secondary received 7/6. Submitted 6/6 and processed 7/5.

Do you think it would be better to address academic blunders (I repaired it through an SMP) or use it as a Why Rush since they got rid of that prompt this year weirdly enough

How are y'all filling out the course description. Are you going super in depth?

I copied it directly from my college's course catalog, then put the link in the other box.
Thanks! Did you also have trouble adding more than 4 patient experiences?

Do you think it would be better to address academic blunders (I repaired it through an SMP) or use it as a Why Rush since they got rid of that prompt this year weirdly enough
I wouldn't use the space to describe the academic issue, since your SMP grades prove that you've overcome those issues.

Do we know if Rush requires CASPer? AAMC's website says they do, but I don't see it anywhere on Rush's website so I wasn't sure!

Yes, both Casper and Duet.
I was under the impression that they didn't, because their website only talks about the MCAT being an admissions requirement. I submitted my secondary to them and was told my app is complete + awaiting review now, but I don't have a CASPer score (I didn't take it)... where did you see that requirement?

I was under the impression that they didn't, because their website only talks about the MCAT being an admissions requirement. I submitted my secondary to them and was told my app is complete + awaiting review now, but I don't have a CASPer score (I didn't take it)... where did you see that requirement?
It is confusing that AAMC lists it here https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7046/download, yet it's not on Rush website. But, the use of the word "our" on the document means that Rush had AAMC put that statement on there, making me think they require those exams.

"As part of the secondary application, all applicants are required to complete the CASPer exam to assist with our selection process. Scores must be received by November 15th."
"As part of the secondary application, all applicants are required to complete the Duet exam to assist with our selection process. Scores must be received by November 15th."

It is confusing that AAMC lists it here https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7046/download, yet it's not on Rush website. But, the use of the word "our" on the document means that Rush had AAMC put that statement on there, making me think they require those exams.

"As part of the secondary application, all applicants are required to complete the CASPer exam to assist with our selection process. Scores must be received by November 15th."
"As part of the secondary application, all applicants are required to complete the Duet exam to assist with our selection process. Scores must be received by November 15th."
This is quite interesting indeed. I never recall seeing Rush University in the Altus Dates/Fees selector prior to taking my exam. I just checked now, and Rush University is clearly labeled as an option that can be chosen when setting up your exam time. It also says that CASPER and Duet are required. I just added the designation now.

This is quite interesting indeed. I never recall seeing Rush University in the Altus Dates/Fees selector prior to taking my exam. I just checked now, and Rush University is clearly labeled as an option that can be chosen when setting up your exam time. It also says that CASPER and Duet are required. I just added the designation now.

+1, I don’t remember seeing Rush listed either when I was signing up for Casper and I did mine in late June. I’m guessing Altus Suite added Rush to their option list very recently. Very weird how there are inconsistencies between the AAMC list and Rush’s website

Did someone have a chance to speak with admissions regarding the Casper requirement?

Is Question 8 really optional? I am inclined to leave it blank but my brain tells me it's a trap. What do y'all think?

Is Question 8 really optional? I am inclined to leave it blank but my brain tells me it's a trap. What do y'all think?
I'm not going to answer it. I feel comfortable doing so because the prompt itself includes the word optional and I truly have nothing else to add. I also feel like #1 and #2 already cover a lot about fit with the school's mission, so it would almost be redundant to write a Why Rush essay. But go for it if you have something important you haven't already covered.

Great, I would greatly appreciate it if you could update us whenever you get a response.
Received a response from Rush.

"This cycle we are asking applicants to complete the CASPer and Duet as part of the secondary application. Scores must be received by November 15th."

shoot

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Shoutout to you all because I would have had no idea about that requirement.

Reactions: 2 users