2022-2023 Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are interested in serving in a rural area in Arkansas following your training, below is a scholarship opportunity you may want to pursue:

Dr. Rhys Branman, a Little Rock-based cosmetic surgeon is excited to announce the launch of his annual scholarship program. The Arkansas Rural Health Scholarship is a $2,500 award which will support one lucky medical or nursing student with the intent to practice in a rural Arkansas community.

Dr. Branman is proud to support rural healthcare in his home state of Arkansas. Our goal right now is to reach as many eligible candidates as possible and encourage them to apply by the extended deadline of June 2, 2023.

To review the program’s complete application, criteria and guidelines please visit: Arkansas Rural Health Scholarship - Dr. Branman

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not 100% sure if this applies to iPads, but at least for laptops and computers the financial aid office will increase your loan amount by whatever you payed for the item. So you’re not paying for it right now, but eventually you will lumped in with the rest of loans. As far as legit free stuff, I haven’t seen anything like that unfortunately lol.
What about like test reviewing programs/apps (ie: Uworld, etc.)? Does the school have something like that in preparation for Step1/2?

What about like test reviewing programs/apps (ie: Uworld, etc.)? Does the school have something like that in preparation for Step1/2?
Take this with a grain of salt but a friend of mine that graduated a couple of years ago said that UAMS now provides access to pathoma, sketchy, and other third-party applications to help prepare for the steps.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some good threads to follow on here to prepare for medical school?

Absolutely! We have full access to Sketchy, Pathoma, USMLE-RX (favorite btw), boardvitals, IAMOS (radiology stuff for anatomy), and you get access to UWORLD at some point in 2nd year in time to start STEP studying. I’m sure I’m missing something, and admin is currently evaluating what we actually use the most to see if they should exchange some new resources for the less used ones. Also, every textbook is available for free through library. Please don’t buy anything. If you’re like most of the class, you’ll never actually read the text anyway lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely! We have full access to Sketchy, Pathoma, USMLE-RX (favorite btw), boardvitals, IAMOS (radiology stuff for anatomy), and you get access to UWORLD at some point in 2nd year in time to start STEP studying. I’m sure I’m missing something, and admin is currently evaluating what we actually use the most to see if they should exchange some new resources for the less used ones. Also, every textbook is available for free through library. Please don’t buy anything. If you’re like most of the class, you’ll never actually read the text anyway lol.
That’s really good to hear! Thank you :)

It’s going to kill me not knowing what position I am on the waitlist. I’ll just be sitting here like… well.. let’s hope there’s enough movement for me to make it.

It’s going to kill me not knowing what position I am on the waitlist. I’ll just be sitting here like… well.. let’s hope there’s enough movement for me to make it.
Hoping for your A! There is a decent amount of WL movements according to last year so 🤞🤞

Does anyone know when movement starts to happen on the waitlist? I’ve heard previously that it may not start until April when people choose to narrow their choices. Thanks!

Does anyone know when movement starts to happen on the waitlist? I’ve heard previously that it may not start until April when people choose to narrow their choices. Thanks!
UAMS sent me an email saying it is rare for any movement to happen before April. I would love to find out by the end of May so I could set some things in stone.

Just got accepted off the waitlist today! Movement may be starting sooner than you think! Anyone have the link to GroupMe or Facebook?

Reactions: 2 users
I've been messing around with some of the products you described above and USMLE-RX reminds me a lot of Khan Academy. Is that actually the case? KA was so useful for me when I was studying for the MCAT and I would imagine that pairing this up with Anki would be an incredibly effective use of one's time during school. Did you do anything like that? DM is fine if you would rather speak there! Thanks!

I've been messing around with some of the products you described above and USMLE-RX reminds me a lot of Khan Academy. Is that actually the case? KA was so useful for me when I was studying for the MCAT and I would imagine that pairing this up with Anki would be an incredibly effective use of one's time during school. Did you do anything like that? DM is fine if you would rather speak there! Thanks!
USMLE-Rx is basically short lessons over everything in First Aid (made by the same company.) most of my class LOVES the short lessons to review or even learn class material. Each lesson also has associated STEP- style questions. Many teachers also assign practice quizzes on there. I can’t speak to how it compares to Khan Academy because I’ve never used KA lol. USMLE-RX, Anki, class PowerPoints, and sketchy for pharmacology are pretty much all I’ve used. UAMS has their own deck that combines a lot of AnKing cards with cards made by absolute angels in previous classes all sorted to follow along each class lecture. I haven’t made a single anki card lol.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted off the waitlist today! Movement may be starting sooner than you think! Anyone have the link to GroupMe or Facebook?
Congrats! I’m so jelly, haha. I haven’t gotten the call yet but I’m hoping to.

Has anyone heard any updates on campus locations?? I know they said sometime within the next couple weeks

For all of you in the future doom-scrolling this forum to see if GUS will provide the acceptance offer before you receive anything in the mail, the website finally updated sometime this week. The letters were received by everyone over a month ago.

Idk about future doom scrolling, but I’m doing current doom scrolling, haha.

Has anyone heard of people getting called the last few days?? All this waiting is gnawing on my will to live, LOL.

Same. Also waitlisted, also haven’t heard anything.
I get it, I’ve been so stressed about the future lol. It doesn’t help when I know some other people at my college that have already been accepted.

I get it, I’ve been so stressed about the future lol. It doesn’t help when I know some other people at my college that have already been accepted.
Get grinding on your application. The AMCAS and AACOMAS opens soon if not already.

Got accepted off the waitlist yesterday!

Got accepted off the waitlist yesterday!
Omg, really? That’s fantastic. I still haven’t heard anything. It’s so crazy they don’t tell us what position we are. I’m working on my applications for next cycle but it’s so hard to stay motivated for it.

Omg, really? That’s fantastic. I still haven’t heard anything. It’s so crazy they don’t tell us what position we are. I’m working on my applications for next cycle but it’s so hard to stay motivated for it.
Rooting for you!

Quick question, does anyone here happen to know the date and time for the white coat ceremony? I only found the freshman registration date on the acceptance form and I’m not sure if I missed the white coat ceremony date somewhere else

Quick question, does anyone here happen to know the date and time for the white coat ceremony? I only found the freshman registration date on the acceptance form and I’m not sure if I missed the white coat ceremony date somewhere else

I believe it’s Friday, August 4 at 6:30 PM

I can’t believe I’m able to say this, but I got accepted off of the waitlist 😭. It’s such a surreal feeling, especially this late in the game. I was losing hope, but it seems everything is going to work out. I’m so happy!

Reactions: 3 users
I can’t believe I’m able to say this, but I got accepted off of the waitlist . It’s such a surreal feeling, especially this late in the game. I was losing hope, but it seems everything is going to work out. I’m so happy!

So awesome!! Congrats!

I can’t believe I’m able to say this, but I got accepted off of the waitlist 😭. It’s such a surreal feeling, especially this late in the game. I was losing hope, but it seems everything is going to work out. I’m so happy!
Congrats!! We’ll be M1s together 🤩🤩

Anyone have the link to the class groupme? I was accepted recently and wondered if we have one.

Yes, that would constitute strong ties. Typically, the OSS students who are accepted have very high GPAs and MCAT scores and overall strong applications.
Do you know the typical GPA/MCAT seen for OOS students at UAMS COM?