2022-2023 Dell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed there in person way back when, we toured the hospital and were told it. No free food in the TMC at McGovern, but yes in the hospitals in the same system outside of the medical center.
It is not common for students to get free food in cafeterias of hospitals. Students try to attend presentations and other events (ironically prospective student interviews!) to get nice lunches.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you elaborate on why people are ranking Dell over McGovern? I'm set to interview at McGovern after interviewing at Dell. While Dell seemed fantastic, I don't see how people could rank it above McGovern and the TMC. This is probably the most difficult decision for me, rank-wise. I feel like the small class size is playing a part?

I think just the perception of the small class and unique curriculum is what most people look to. Inherently, people will think smaller = more competitive = more prestigious for the most part (exception if the school specifically states they're focused on primary care...... then student perception of prestige goes down). There's definitely benefits to being a small school that's new, and of course a lot of people will say that 3rd year interests them a lot.

That being said of course, TMC has always been one of McG/Baylor's sticking points and for a good reason: you have literally every opportunity you want at your fingertip, and it's incredibly easy to get research/make connections that you might not have in a newer school without a really well established medical institution. Dell may get there in the future but the 3rd year setup is practically required to ensure students can still stay competitive without having to basically just go away to build their resume.

No wrong choice obviously, both schools are fantastic. But it really comes down to how much you like structure and guarantees. I'd say at it's best, Dell may open up slightly more opportunities but McGovern's floor is much higher and of course, 2 year preclinical does allow for a more chill experience (don't know why so many students see short preclinicals as the greatest thing ever, rotations while very educational are not a fun time).

Reactions: 1 user
Is McG still doing 2 years preclinical?

Members don't see this ad :)
Recieved first round II’s at Baylor, UTSW, UT Long San Antonio, McGovern, UTMB, but no secondary from Dell yet. Extremely grateful and honored to have all the II’s I’ve had so far this cycle, but honestly have been highly interested in Dell from the start and am still holding out for their secondary ☹️. I was transmitted early June but didn’t have LORs in until late July, I hope I still have a chance here. Just gonna keep checking my emails and keep hoping I wasn’t already screened out.

Recieved first round II’s at Baylor, UTSW, UT Long San Antonio, McGovern, UTMB, but no secondary from Dell yet. Extremely grateful and honored to have all the II’s I’ve had so far this cycle, but honestly have been highly interested in Dell from the start and am still holding out for their secondary ☹️. I was transmitted early June but didn’t have LORs in until late July, I hope I still have a chance here. Just gonna keep checking my emails and keep hoping I wasn’t already screened out.
Feel the exact same. I'm very grateful for my other II as well, and I would be happy attending any TX school. But, I feel like Dell would be my top choice if I were to get in. They continue sending out secondaries for many more months though - so I am just forcing myself to be patient and optimistic :)

Anyone received a secondary lately? I was complete on 8/9 and not sure if I should anticipate that ive been screened out? LizzyM 66, ORM, app focus on primary care, underserved, lots of clinical/volunteer hours, and 6 months of biomedical research

Anyone received a secondary lately? I was complete on 8/9 and not sure if I should anticipate that ive been screened out? LizzyM 66, ORM, app focus on primary care, underserved, lots of clinical/volunteer hours, and 6 months of biomedical research
Similar app, waiting since late June lol

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed at Dell today. What a fantastic presentation of who they are as an institution and group of students/faculty. Excited about this school!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed at Dell today. What a fantastic presentation of who they are as an institution and group of students/faculty. Excited about this school!
So do you have plans for the extra year? Was there a new dean?

At this point I really don't have any plans for what I'd do as an MS3 there, but appreciate the unique opportunity to figure out a specialty of interest during MS2 and then use MS3 to build a suitable CV toward that specialty.

You know, we actually didn't meet the dean or even get a pre-recorded presentation done by the dean, but I believe there is an interim dean at this point. Wonder what the plans are for the dean moving forward.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think if send them this GIF with a whataburger gift card it’ll convince them to reply with a secondary invite ?
Jimmy Fallon Pride GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Secondary received. Complete 07/14, surprised because I didn't think my application aligned closely with their mission but I'm excited to learn more about this school.
So the GIF works..... Just kidding, congratulations! You'll kill that video secondary and get an II in no time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who submitted their secondary late July/early August heard back about an interview?

Hello I am an MS1 at Dell. I can confirm my ID with any admin. AMA! I can answer a range of questions.

Let me preface any questions by saying Dell is THE place to be. Good luck to all in the application process!

Anyone who submitted their secondary late July/early August heard back about an interview?
Coming from a current Dell student, I did not receive a secondary until October I believe.

Hello I am an MS1 at Dell. I can confirm my ID with any admin. AMA! I can answer a range of questions.

Let me preface any questions by saying Dell is THE place to be. Good luck to all in the application process!
How fast paced is the curriculum? How supportive are the faculty? Any ideas for what you wanna do for your growth year?

What is the process for applying for scholarships? Or is that considered with just the medical school application?

How fast paced is the curriculum? How supportive are the faculty? Any ideas for what you wanna do for your growth year?
It’s a lot of material for sure, but it’s the same at all schools tbh. I surpassed my undergrad bio degree in about 6 weeks, but I would say the curriculum is very manageable. We don’t learn any superfluous information like what Long SOM is known for. The curriculum is designed around the topics in first aid/step. All of our material is in the AnKing. Your grade is determined by only one block exam which is very nice. Other schools have weekly quizzes and biweekly exams (Long, A&M, UTSW). You also have a LOT of time to study since our schedule is very light compared to other schools.

One of my classmates showed up late ONE time cause he had insomnia, and a faculty member called him every morning for 3 weeks to make sure he made it on time. We have private tutoring with the professor if we’re not passing our weekly quizzes (which don’t count towards our grade btw). My faculty mentor invited me and my mentorship group to his home and told us that the unwritten rule of Dell is that nobody fails out. They will drag you across the finish line if that requires counseling, tutoring, gap years, etc.

The growth year is of course very flexible, but I plan on getting an MBA during that time! The cool thing is most students finish step 2 by September and are basically done with medical school for the remaining two years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
It’s a lot of material for sure, but it’s the same at all schools tbh. I surpassed my undergrad bio degree in about 6 weeks, but I would say the curriculum is very manageable. We don’t learn any superfluous information like what Long SOM is known for. The curriculum is designed around the topics in first aid/step. All of our material is in the AnKing. Your grade is determined by only one block exam which is very nice. Other schools have weekly quizzes and biweekly exams (Long, A&M, UTSW). You also have a LOT of time to study since our schedule is very light compared to other schools.

One of my classmates showed up late ONE time cause he had insomnia, and a faculty member called him every morning for 3 weeks to make sure he made it on time. We have private tutoring with the professor if we’re not passing our weekly quizzes (which don’t count towards our grade btw). My faculty mentor invited me and my faculty group to his home and told us that the unwritten rule of Dell is that nobody fails out. They will drag you across the finish line if that requires counseling, tutoring, gap years, etc.

The growth year is of course very flexible, but I plan on getting an MBA during that time! The cool thing is most students finish step 2 by September and are basically done with medical school for the remaining two years.
Great input @Bot Puppet. I like the unwritten rule.

For someone really interested in a surgical subspecialty, say ENT, do you think Dell is limiting in anyway? I think for any school, having “my options open” is what will drive me towards one, should I have the luxury of being able to choose.

For someone really interested in a surgical subspecialty, say ENT, do you think Dell is limiting in anyway? I think for any school, having “my options open” is what will drive me towards one, should I have the luxury of being able to choose.
I am personally interested in going into a surgical sub specialty so I can take this one. I wouldn’t say Dell limits you in a traditional sense but you will need to be comfortable carving your own path. There are some pros and cons to this. The small class size gives you an opportunity to have your pick of faculty for mentoring and research projects. Upperclassman have been very helpful on making those connections for us. I would imagine that the third year will be very helpful in tailoring a great CV for anything you want to do. For example, you have the dual degree opportunity but you can even go to different institutions if you are really passionate about some specific research/community project that is not at Dell. We are slowly adding new residencies (just added neurosurgery last year) so hopefully ENT and plastics will soon follow. Hopefully that answers your question.

I am personally interested in going into a surgical sub specialty so I can take this one. I wouldn’t say Dell limits you in a traditional sense but you will need to be comfortable carving your own path. There are some pros and cons to this. The small class size gives you an opportunity to have your pick of faculty for mentoring and research projects. Upperclassman have been very helpful on making those connections for us. I would imagine that the third year will be very helpful in tailoring a great CV for anything you want to do. For example, you have the dual degree opportunity but you can even go to different institutions if you are really passionate about some specific research/community project that is not at Dell. We are slowly adding new residencies (just added neurosurgery last year) so hopefully ENT and plastics will soon follow. Hopefully that answers your question.
I'm still deciding how to rank Dell and McGovern. Could you very briefly explain to me what years 1-4 look like at Dell? Also, I should add that I am not the least bit interested in dual degree programs. What are my options during 3rd year?

I'm still deciding how to rank Dell and McGovern. Could you very briefly explain to me what years 1-4 look like at Dell? Also, I should add that I am not the least bit interested in dual degree programs. What are my options during 3rd year?
Dell Med curriculum schedule easily searchable Medical Education Flyer Curriculum 20210621.pdf - Box

I’ll add, not trying to be mean at all, that if you need somebody to tell you what to do with your 3rd year, this might not be “your school”.

I admit I worded it poorly, and I did not ask the question I intended to. I’ll rephrase. I know a lot of students opt for the dual degree in their third year. Of the students that decided against this, what has been the most popular route instead? Research for intended specialty?

I only ask because I don’t wanna be pressured out of going here (if given the opportunity) just because I don’t want to do a dual degree. I know this school offers much more than a dual degree opportunity, and I would like to make an informed decision.

I admit I worded it poorly, and I did not ask the question I intended to. I’ll rephrase. I know a lot of students opt for the dual degree in their third year. Of the students that decided against this, what has been the most popular route instead? Research for intended specialty?

I only ask because I don’t wanna be pressured out of going here (if given the opportunity) just because I don’t want to do a dual degree. I know this school offers much more than a dual degree opportunity, and I would like to make an informed decision.
"Pressured out of" by whom?
Read some of their posts on their Facebook or Instagram accounts about what their students have done.
I know one who did research in their desired specialty, at the same time getting to know attendings and mentors, then matched to that specialty at Dell.

February 17 - date for ranking.

It is too early to decide between 2 schools since there are other schools to interview.

Agree with @wysdoc that if someone does not know what to do with all that empty space of an year, it is not the right school for them. OTOH, it is not meant just for a dual degree. If someone wants to a hard to get into specialty, it gives them a whole year to do rotations at multiple places. At one time, Ivy league schools insisted on a research year and they frowned upon anyone trying to graduate in 4. Most of the people did either research or rotations at other schools. I knew people from Penn who applied for Urology, Opthalmology, Dermatology, orthopedics and everyone of them used the year to do rotations and mind you this is a 4th year and they came back to interview in 5th year for residencies.

February 17 - date for ranking.

It is too early to decide between 2 schools since there are other schools to interview.

Agree with @wysdoc that if someone does not know what to do with all that empty space of an year, it is not the right school for them. OTOH, it is not meant just for a dual degree. If someone wants to a hard to get into specialty, it gives them a whole year to do rotations at multiple places. At one time, Ivy league schools insisted on a research year and they frowned upon anyone trying to graduate in 4. Most of the people did either research or rotations at other schools. I knew people from Penn who applied for Urology, Opthalmology, Dermatology, orthopedics and everyone of them used the year to do rotations and mind you this is a 4th year and they came back to interview in 5th year for residencies.
Yes, at most schools you do your "required" rotations in MS3 and your interests/electives in MS4.
If you were certain what you wanted by then, or were trying to decide between a couple of fields, there's no reason why you couldn't do more elective rotations during that year.
Somebody who's an upper-classman Dell student, please correct me if I'm wrong on this

I personally ranked Dell over McGovern for the curriculum design. As already shared, the curriculum is public knowledge if you want further details. True P/F is next level relaxing, and we don’t even have quizzes that count for a grade. I have a lot of time to free study, and though the curriculum is accelerated, I feel comfortable with my independent study.

Third year is interesting for many reasons, and as a med student it’s very cool to be done with boards at the beginning of third year. After boards, you are basically free to explore whatever project, research, or second degree that your heart desires all while graduating in four years. I have heard good feedback about PDs being very impressed with the accolades that Dell students acquire during third year.

Going to a prestigious medical school can make you a more competitive residency applicant (especially for more selective specialties or for programs at elite academic centers), but the prestige of your medical school is only a single variable among many others. Other variables include board scores, clinical performance, networking/connections, personal statement, letters of recommendation, and interviewing skills.

The job market in medicine is different from those in law, business, and academia, in that there's a shortage of physicians and a huge, unfulfilled demand for medical care. You can go to the trashiest for-profit medical school in the Caribbean and finish the most undesirable rural family medicine residency program in the US, and you will still make a six-figure salary and have the same job as an FM doctor who went to Yale. This economic situation doesn't exist in those other industries—so in those other industries, there's a much wider gap between graduates of elite programs and non-elite programs (e.g., top 14 law schools vs. the others).

This is spot on. I would like to add that Dell will throw its full weight behind anything you do. You’re not necessarily competing with any of your classmates because there will be so few of y’all. Dell has historically matched well into competitive specialties, and we’ve paired that with high board scores as well.

Dell generally attracts students interested in primary care, so that’s also a consideration when evaluating our match list.

What is the process for applying for scholarships? Or is that considered with just the medical school application?
Merit scholarships are hard to come by from my limited POV. I kind of forced Dell to match a scholarship from UTMB. With the way the match is set up, Texas premed students don’t have a lot of leverage.

There are additional scholarship opportunities mostly for URMs sent out by the financial aid office though. Overall debt load after attending Dell should be manageable though considering Texas tuition.

Yes, at most schools you do your "required" rotations in MS3 and your interests/electives in MS4.
If you were certain what you wanted by then, or were trying to decide between a couple of fields, there's no reason why you couldn't do more elective rotations during that year.
Somebody who's an upper-classman Dell student, please correct me if I'm wrong on this

Merit scholarships are hard to come by from my limited POV. I kind of forced Dell to match a scholarship from UTMB. With the way the match is set up, Texas premed students don’t have a lot of leverage.

There are additional scholarship opportunities mostly for URMs sent out by the financial aid office though. Overall debt load after attending Dell should be manageable though considering Texas tuition.
thanks a lot for your valuable input. I really got the sense that the faculty is overwhelmingly more supportive of students here relative to other med schools. Having the third year to tackle on some research and rotations for a desired specialty can surely make someone a competitive applicant. Definitely some things to ponder on.

At this point I really don't have any plans for what I'd do as an MS3 there, but appreciate the unique opportunity to figure out a specialty of interest during MS2 and then use MS3 to build a suitable CV toward that specialty.

You know, we actually didn't meet the dean or even get a pre-recorded presentation done by the dean, but I believe there is an interim dean at this point. Wonder what the plans are for the dean moving forward.
Info about the new dean is a little dicey. You’ll find out more if you attend Dell though. However, overall the dean does not affect your education or QoL at Dell.

Video secondary just received, complete 7/19, IS URM

Reactions: 3 users
OOS II at 5:55 PM! They called which was so much more exciting than an email!

• Care
OOS II at 5:55 PM! They called which was so much more exciting than an email!
The call is so cool!

My phone was acting weird when they attempted to call me, so I didn't get the call. They looked through my app and saw my mom's info, contacted her, and then she called and told me to call them back ASAP. When I called, they had me cracking up telling me the story. The admissions faculty member I spoke with literally said, "We couldn't reach you, and my colleague was trying to figure out how we'd get it done. I said, 'You know what? I'm gonna call his momma!'" I busted out laughing!

Dell has a bunch of awesome folks at all levels. I bet you'll have a fantastic time on your interview date! Congratulations!

• Haha
The call is so cool!

My phone was acting weird when they attempted to call me, so I didn't get the call. They looked through my app and saw my mom's info, contacted her, and then she called and told me to call them back ASAP. When I called, they had me cracking up telling me the story. The admissions faculty member I spoke with literally said, "We couldn't reach you, and my colleague was trying to figure out how we'd get it done. I said, 'You know what? I'm gonna call his momma!'" I busted out laughing!

Dell has a bunch of awesome folks at all levels. I bet you'll have a fantastic time on your interview date! Congratulations!
Your significant other was not miffed they are still reaching out to momma? :)

• Haha
Your significant other was not miffed they are still reaching out to momma? :)
Hahaha!! She was thrilled! There was no spot for my wife's number to be included on the primary app, but parental info is required, so it made sense. Now, if my wife had her info on the app and Dell reached out to my mom in spite of this, it woulda been suuuuper weird.

II Received just now!! So excited! I took the October 4th interview spot. Application was complete on June 28th so its been a long while and I honestly thought that I was out of the running until just now but I guess I wasn't!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
II Received just now!! So excited! I took the October 4th interview spot. Application was complete on June 28th so its been a long while and I honestly thought that out of the running until just now but I guess I wasn't!
Looks like Dell still has a lot of interview slots left if you got October 4th.

II today around 1:00 PM! I also totally thought I was passed over/out of the running ! Complete 07/01 so looks like they’re still combing through the pretty early applicants!!

I believe so. I just stumbled on a medical student at Dell on YouTube who is taking some time off for personal reasons and she sounded very appreciative of how accommodating Dell was. You can look her up yourself, her name is Natalie Rivas.
Totally late to this, but yeah. School has let people defer 1st year in the past, they just accepted someone off the waitlist. The case I know of was for a very competitive national scholarship (Rhodes, Fulbright, etc).

Last edited:
#1 Reason. Unless it has changed, students eat for free at Dell's main hospital.
I am an MS4 and this has long changed.
The new dean selection process was completed over this past year. They have not announced a new dean yet. I miss Clay all the time.
Yes, ENT will be limited at Dell, just being honest here. Our uro, plastics, ortho, ophtho, and even neurosurgery faculty are very highly involved. Plastics has their own biweekly research meetings w/ faculty, and ophtho and neurosurg just got a residencies, as did anesthesia. ENT is kind of odd man out as we have limited exposure, limited research, limited everything. I don't think (don't hold me to this) we've matched anyone in ENT yet while we have a good number of the all the other surgical subspecialties.

Last edited:
The other non-degree programs is the entrepreneurial track/student entrepreneur track. The program "Good Apple" was started by a Dell Med student and seems great. Another student worked on Early Bird, which incentivizes pediatric primary care with education funds. Last year, someone worked with a group that records messages from individuals experiencing homelessness to try to reconnect them with family. I think 2 people are doing it this year, unsure in what. One of these tracks works with Michael Hole, no idea which one, you can google him if you want.

Community Health track... I'm not anyone has selected since the first class that graduated in 2020 but you can find interviews/videos about the student who did. I believe it was Brooke Wagen.

Someone in my MS4 year is doing humanities research and it seems fascinating and absolutely above my pay grade. A classmate of mine went and did hand-on public health research in another country. A number of people did pure research.

Pretty much of these require you to put in your own legwork or you will just kind of flounder and have nothing to show for it. It can be incredible, but you need to be a self-starter with either designing your own project or finding your own mentor who can design with you.

Reactions: 3 users
Just interviewed today! The traditional interview went by way too quickly and was pretty conversational. A lot of non-trads and people who didn't attend UT Austin which was pretty surprising. Overall went pretty great. MMI was a little tough, but fingers crossed. The students definitely seemed very happy and like they actually had a life outside of medical school. Group exercise was kinda fun, just kinda worried because I don't even know what they're assessing and if I was able to demonstrate myself as a team member.

Sigh. Still no secondary invite. I’m a non-trad who went to UT-Austin, so this definitely stings a bit.

Sigh. Still no secondary invite. I’m a non-trad who went to UT-Austin, so this definitely stings a bit.
I feel that but remember, they send out secondaries throughout the cycle! I think one current student commented earlier saying they only received their secondary in October. N = 1 but I also know someone who is currently at Dell and received their secondary in October

I believe in last cycle people received secondaries after the official tmdsas deadline passed (11/1?) and there was a question as to whether it was real but if the school gives it you, it means they are taking your app irrespective of the deadline.