2022-2023 Charles R. Drew University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so i guess they sent out a couple A's today.. i didn't get anything but I know someone who did get in
Do you know if that person is accepting the offer?

Members don't see this ad.

there are 36 students in the FB group. i'm assuming the other 24 either don't know about it or possibly have acceptances elsewhere...

Do you know if that person is accepting the offer?
yup. again, most people that got accepted here sadly have this as their only A so they will be going. I know of like 10 people that are like that, including my friend that just got accepted today.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yup. again, most people that got accepted here sadly have this as their only A so they will be going. I know of like 10 people that are like that, including my friend that just got accepted today.
I don't have an acceptance so i need this acceptance too

theres 57 in group me.... lol
60 in group me now, I’m sure there will be some movement but like most are saying this may be the only A for most accepted students so maybe not a lot of movement.. it’s gonna be a great cohort! Hope those of you still waiting stay positive and passionate and hope you get your chance to come off “the list” and get accepted. Since there’s a 2 week deadline(to accept offer) I think there is some movement from anyone that declined since it seems a couple people may have been accepted this week. There can also be issues with pre reqs, so if this is the only school you are holding out for please make sure your pre reqs are in order and sign up for a class to fulfill if needed.

Reactions: 1 users
60 in group me now, I’m sure there will be some movement but like most are saying this may be the only A for most accepted students so maybe not a lot of movement.. it’s gonna be a great cohort! Hope those of you still waiting stay positive and passionate and hope you get your chance to come off “the list” and get accepted. Since there’s a 2 week deadline(to accept offer) I think there is some movement from anyone that declined since it seems a couple people may have been accepted this week. There can also be issues with pre reqs, so if this is the only school you are holding out for please make sure your pre reqs are in order and sign up for a class to fulfill if needed.
Thank you for the update 💙

Sound about right. Drew doesn't pay attention to students outside of their postbacc program. For example, their view of their master's program is: you are good enough for other schools but not us (there are a few exceptions). It is almost starting to sound like a scam. They basically had enough former Drew students apply to fill half of their inaugural class (so i was told).
Among 60 accepted students, only 2 are CDU post-bach students, and 3 are CDU former master students, that's all.

Reactions: 2 users
Among 60 accepted students, only 2 are CDU post-bach students, and 3 are CDU former master students, that's all.
interesting. there's probably not more CDU postbacc students because a good amount of them end up in the UCLA/Drew program. But good to know.

I am not sure if i should sign up. I got a call today letting me know I needed to sign up for a class. But I am not sure if it's worth it if the class is full. I will not lose money if it's already a done deal. I thought the whole point was to help low-income students not hurt them. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

I am not sure if i should sign up. I got a call today letting me know I needed to sign up for a class. But I am not sure if it's worth it if the class is full. I will not lose money if it's already a done deal. I thought the whole point was to help low-income students not hurt them. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.
Admin called you? Do you have acceptances elsewhere?

so cdu called u to tell you that u still have classes pending even though you did not get an A yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how many black people got in ? Lol first year hbcu very few “CDU products” I’m unsure of what their game plan is at this point. i agree with the statement good enough for other med schools just not us. Smh

so cdu called u to tell you that u still have classes pending even though you did not get an A yet?
yep, they called me today and said one of my prereqs didn't make the cut. I would have to enroll in a class. But i am not sure if i want to spend the money since the class is full. it's really confusing.

Last edited:
i think majority are African American. I would say like at least 45-50 students are.
Interesting. While not technically an HBCU, they did pretty well in recruiting minority students. The only thing that is a little off is that the population of SPA 6 is primarily Latino (61%); it seems a little low to only have about 15 "other" students. I am not sure what the end game is here. It doesn't seem like its recruiting former CDU students or students from the area.

yep, they called me today and said one of my prereqs didn't make the cut. I would have to enroll in a class. But i am not sure if i want to spend the money since the class is full. it's really confusing.
Yea, that's such a gamble. It's different if you had the conditional A already. Especially, with you having the other waitlisted schools

Not saying I should’ve automatically received an A being an alum, but I just knew the program would fill the first class with mostly students who have direct ties and know CDU. I’m fortunate to have an A somewhere else, but just thinking about my classmates and those that came after me who are being ghosted is so weird to me. We know now there’s no linkage.

Reactions: 3 users
idk i feel like they are recruiting people who don't seem to have other acceptances, those with low mcats like i think I heard someone with a 487 got in. and many low 490's got in.
it seems like having anything above a 500 probably hurts you even if its still considered low by all other schools.

Interesting. While not technically an HBCU, they did pretty well in recruiting minority students. The only thing that is a little off is that the population of SPA 6 is primarily Latino (61%); it seems a little low to only have about 15 "other" students. I am not sure what the end game is here. It doesn't seem like its recruiting former CDU students or students from the area.

What do you mean when you say “not technically an hbcu”?

What do you mean when you say “not technically an hbcu”?
it's not recognized by the US as an HBCU because it was founded after 1965. I recall the president mentioning that a few times and saying this is why they don't receive additional funding. I think they have to petition to congress to change their designation.

idk i feel like they are recruiting people who don't seem to have other acceptances, those with low mcats like i think I heard someone with a 487 got in. and many low 490's got in.

Was the 487 mcat posted on social media or that was a friend of yours?

possibly, but i don't see how it would help MCAT Bros to lie about one of their students scoring less than than a 495.
exactly and they even post screenshots of everything, so even though theres a lot of shade going on regarding the company, i think its true that those people did get accepted!!

possibly, but i don't see how it would help MCAT Bros to lie about one of their students scoring less than than a 495.
Yea. One person they posted was initially at 481 and went up to 490s, if I'm recalling correctly. They got DO acceptances so a win is a win.

exactly. but im surprised they are taking such a big risk accepting people with really low MCATs. Like the class has to do well academically for the school to get full accreditation.
can’t lie i don’t think this is fair to say. just bc u didn’t do well on the MCAT doesn’t mean u won’t do well in med school. mcat is an unreasonable test tbh and medical school is a lot different than an 8hr test esp if its p/f

can’t lie i don’t think this is fair to say. just bc u didn’t do well on the MCAT doesn’t mean u won’t do well in med school. mcat is an unreasonable test tbh and medical school is a lot different than an 8hr test esp if its p/f
true, much medical school success boils down to step 1/step 2 scores/match rate. But I do believe sub 494 scores are a little concerning. a lot of the time, sub 494, esp sub 490 scores indicate content gaps

There is a correlation . Lower MCAT scores correlate with not progressing to clerkships on time (pg 20) and not passing Step 1 (pg 21). So there is a point to be made about a newer school being risk averse as their accreditation is on the line.

To those accepted, any guestimate if possible on how many accepted students have ties to Los Angeles/California?

Sorry. I had the same experience. After she sent me an email to do prerequisites checklist I emailed her back with the filled out list left a blank for that course and explained the missing class. She called me today talking about “you left a section blank with no explanation would you email me back or call me back , if your missing the class we can work with you.” The audacity! I really wanted to send her a passive aggressive email back saying “if you had read my other email maybe it would help” Thank God I got an acceptance else where and I’m still waiting on some other places because this school is messy!

Sorry. I had the same experience. After she sent me an email to do prerequisites checklist I emailed her back with the filled out list left a blank for that course and explained the missing class. She called me today talking about “you left a section blank with no explanation would you email me back or call me back , if your missing the class we can work with you.” The audacity! I really wanted to send her a passive aggressive email back saying “if you had read my other email maybe it would help” Thank God I got an acceptance else where and I’m still waiting on some other places because this school is messy!
Yeah like why are you calling so many students and asking for them to take classes if there's no point. Also, they are wasting people's time by not reading their comments and it seems like they are not reading people's transcripts correctly. I don't get what the issue is. Like send an update and let people know what their spot on the rank list is and maybe that would help us decide how much effort we should put into all of this.

Reactions: 4 users
i don’t like this at alllll, why are saying they can work with you but telling other students that they must have prereqs done?? i’m missing one class and have not gotten any notification that i will have to get it done before matriculating other than the case by case email i got back in november. i just don’t think it’s fair bc what if i wasn’t on sdn, didn’t have msar, or any other As

Also idk who told y’all most of the accepted students are Black, I counted and it’s like 25-30 students in the chat that are definitely Black (including Afro-Latinos) This class so far is extremely diverse, a lot of Latinos from different countries, some Asian ethnicities (South Asia, Southeast Asia) and middle eastern/NA countries.

Edit: Within the ppl who are Black, they come from many different ethnicities (African American and ppl who are from different African countries, First-Gen, etc)

Reactions: 7 users
I don’t understand why they’re telling ppl they’ll work with them when they already sent over 60 acceptances . It’s getting real sus .

I don’t understand why they’re telling ppl they’ll work with them when they already sent over 60 acceptances . It’s getting real sus .
They probably expect a lot of people to commit elsewhere but are playing it slow because they don’t have any historical data to prepare for their first cycle.

Reactions: 5 users